Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Gizmo
I just found this video on reddit.

My mother is a strict Christian and reacted in a similiar way when I told her I did not believe in God, i'm curious to see how other peoples parents reacted (i'm assuming the majority of GB'ers are atheists with religious parents here, large assumption, I know).
I'm looking for a discussion here, not a Religion vs Atheism flame war.

P.S There was a version without the keyboard cat, but this is way cooler.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Gizmo
I just found this video on reddit.

My mother is a strict Christian and reacted in a similiar way when I told her I did not believe in God, i'm curious to see how other peoples parents reacted (i'm assuming the majority of GB'ers are atheists with religious parents here, large assumption, I know).
I'm looking for a discussion here, not a Religion vs Atheism flame war.

P.S There was a version without the keyboard cat, but this is way cooler.

FlappyHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By FlappyHands

I was brought up in a pretty religion-free family, my mum used to take me to church when I was a kid but she never once told me that believing in God was right, nor not believing in him was right. I think that's the best way to go, the second you start imposing your beliefs on your kids you're doing more bad than good. You should never back down from telling your parents how you feel or what you believe though, if they lose it with you, it's their problem.

Fr0Br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Fr0Br0

EVERYTHING about that video was hilarious.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gizmo
Meltbrain said:
"I was brought up in a pretty religion-free family, my mum used to take me to church when I was a kid but she never once told me that believing in God was right, nor not believing in him was right. I think that's the best way to go, the second you start imposing your beliefs on your kids you're doing more bad than good. You should never back down from telling your parents how you feel or what you believe though, if they lose it with you, it's their problem."
I think to a degree religion teaches good morals and guidelines at that age, I mean, there are a LOT worse things kids could be involved with.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo

You must mean "angry" because you put it in the title twice!

P.S. What a stupid Mother. We can all make our own choices.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_

Saw that video years ago and it was hilarious. When I told my parents I was an atheist my dad said "welcome to the club" and my mom was like "oh. fine."

FlappyHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FlappyHands
Gizmo said:
"Meltbrain said:
"I was brought up in a pretty religion-free family, my mum used to take me to church when I was a kid but she never once told me that believing in God was right, nor not believing in him was right. I think that's the best way to go, the second you start imposing your beliefs on your kids you're doing more bad than good. You should never back down from telling your parents how you feel or what you believe though, if they lose it with you, it's their problem."
I think to a degree religion teaches good morals and guidelines at that age, I mean, there are a LOT worse things kids could be involved with. "
It's true, but you don't need religion to instill good morals. I have pretty strong morals and I didn't get them from any church, I got them from my parents and life experiences. Any person can acquire good morals without church.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dr_nefarious

Love that piano playing kitty. Anyway I hope that vid is a joke, if not that's pretty scary. I'm not an athiest so I don't think my parents would get mad. Although I am not a strict christian either and I am actually for gay marriage. My mom didn't have a problem with it, considering she felt the same way. Her response was, "that's what makes you a real christian, tolerance". She then said "unfortanely there are many christians out there who are not so tolerant that give christianity a bad rep." My dad on the other hand would have a fit if I told him.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#9  Edited By JackiJinx

My father's an atheist. He won't hear anything about religion without saying anyone who believes in god is an idiot. My mom believes in god. They're not divorced and still live with each other.

This is coming from the same man who told me eons ago that it's illegal to say fuck on the internet. Yep.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

I'd bitch slap that mom. All religion does is cause problems. And lol at the cat at the end.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By alexl86

I'm from a pretty religion place, but I've never felt anything but boredom when going to church so naturally I became an atheist. My parents never tried to impose their beliefs on me and I grew up in a pretty non-religious household... or at least that's what I thought when I announced my newfound atheism and was told that I should eat dinner at the other table...

Still, these things tend to be very uncomfortable for a week, kinda uncomfortable for the next month, then maybe emerging at some holidays.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Endogene
Gizmo said:
"Meltbrain said:
I think to a degree religion teaches good morals and guidelines at that age, I mean, there are a LOT worse things kids could be involved with. "
Fables are better though, I grew up reading the Grimm brothers their fables.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gizmo

Meltbrain said:
"Gizmo said:
"Meltbrain said:
It's true, but you don't need religion to instill good morals. I have pretty strong morals and I didn't get them from any church, I got them from my parents and life experiences. Any person can acquire good morals without church."

Note why I put "to a degree". Of course religion isn't the only outlet for good morals and values, but there are a hell of a lot of uncontrollable brats who didn't have their parents teaching them right from wrong at a young age.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dr_nefarious
Gizmo said:
"
Meltbrain said:
"Gizmo said:
"Meltbrain said:
It's true, but you don't need religion to instill good morals. I have pretty strong morals and I didn't get them from any church, I got them from my parents and life experiences. Any person can acquire good morals without church."
Note why I put "to a degree". Of course religion isn't the only outlet for good morals and values, but there are a hell of a lot of uncontrollable brats who didn't have their parents teaching them right from wrong at a young age. "
*cough* today's generation *cough*
FlappyHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FlappyHands
Gizmo said:
"
Meltbrain said:
"Gizmo said:
"Meltbrain said:
Note why I put "to a degree". Of course religion isn't the only outlet for good morals and values, but there are a hell of a lot of uncontrollable brats who didn't have their parents teaching them right from wrong at a young age. "
I see your point, but you similarly get those same brats who are taken to church every sunday by strict religious parents, and in some cases that same strict religious upbringing can actually lead to being a little brat in the first place. I don't think if you took a really badly behaved brat to church and taught them the ways of the lord it would really change their behaviour, unless your scared the crap out of them by telling them they'd go to hell and get their ass set on fire. I do see your point though, I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just saying that if every kid in the world went to church and believed in God there would still be plenty of little shitbags out there, hehe.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoG

I want that kitty.

IVIorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IVIorpheus

Very amusing....

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That was great. My parents don't care as much about what I believe in, as long as I believe in something. And that something was reason.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By alexl86
Gizmo said:
"Meltbrain said:
Religions can be very manipulative. They may give you good morals and guidelines, but they'll also change your views on the world. Sometimes that's not always for the better.

Religion can certainly have a positive effect, at the very least you learn some of the values and views of others. But it can also be a terrible thing, if you get under the influence of the wrong people.

Still, that's somewhat beside the point. Just hope he'll be okay in the end.
FlappyHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FlappyHands
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"That was great. My parents don't care as much about what I believe in, as long as I believe in something. And that something was reason. "
That's wayyyyy deep, brahhhhh.
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Coltonio7

Damn, that cat can keyboard. I would love a cat like that. I mean, he's so nimble with his paws! Eugh, so amazing!

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By maxszy

I had hard time figuring out who was talking at first, it tricked me. Since you can't see the mother at first who's around the corner.

Beyond that...if real, a little scary.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoG

Bah, I have to say more. I don't see why it is so funny. Put yourself in that woman's shoes. It appears she really believes her religion, and if she's raised her son that way, you should understand why she would be upset. If she really believes that there is a God who will save us, it makes sense that she'd snap at the thought that her son won't be saved. 

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dr_nefarious
BoG said:
"Bah, I have to say more. I don't see why it is so funny. Put yourself in that woman's shoes. It appears she really believes her religion, and if she's raised her son that way, you should understand why she would be upset. If she really believes that there is a God who will save us, it makes sense that she'd snap at the thought that her son won't be saved. "
Trust me I never thought it was funny. If I were her son I'd be scared shitless.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Systech

This has to be the greatest video ever assembled.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Wow. I'm so glad my parents weren't crazy religious. I can have objective religious conversations with my dad.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

My parent's did not push religion "Christianity", it was only taken for granted that you believed. When I was fourteen, I told my mother of a theory I had that disproved the worship of a god. "It had to do with isolation and a bush in the center of town." My mother told me not to mention this to anyone in fear they would think I'm a communist. I thought... about it and whatever, having fought the good fight of spiritual freedom ever since.

My wife is a Pentecostal Christian, speak in tongues kind of world, praise the name of Jesus and knowing the truth and way. I don't know shit, but I strive at being the best I can be. Crazy... world.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Babble

I like how the mom thinks she can threaten him by saying she won't buy any Christmas gifts, then when it goes wrong she freaks out.

FlappyHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FlappyHands
Babble said:
"I like how the mom thinks she can threaten him by saying she won't buy any Christmas gifts, then when it goes wrong she freaks out."
Yeah, it's pretty childish really.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Babble

Anyone have a link to the original video? Just curious if the original had more info on the situation.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Absurd

For those who just want keyboard kitty:

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By RedSox8933

video is fucking amazing.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Milkman
BoG said:
"Bah, I have to say more. I don't see why it is so funny. Put yourself in that woman's shoes. It appears she really believes her religion, and if she's raised her son that way, you should understand why she would be upset. If she really believes that there is a God who will save us, it makes sense that she'd snap at the thought that her son won't be saved. "
I know this is terrible and is probably going to swing the this thread in the complete wrong direction but I really don't understand how people can REALLY believe in God. I just don't see how it is plausible to anyone who is thinking rationally. I don't get how someone can read the Bible and truly believe that there is this mysterious entity living in the sky who governs everything we do. It just doesn't make any sense to me and I don't get how it could make any sense to anyone else. I'm not trying to bash religious people but I really am confused. 
Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Computerplayer1

It's slightly humorous that the mother, being the basically Orthodox Catholic she seems to be, threatened her son with no Christmas presents....that shit is just made up to begin with.

+ 1 for religious understanding.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By RedSox8933
Computerplayer1 said:
"It's slightly humorous that the mother, being the basically Orthodox Catholic she seems to be, threatened her son with no Christmas presents....that shit is just made up to begin with.+ 1 for religious understanding."
Christmas is about JESUS CHRIST.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Gunner
Milkman said:
"BoG said:
I know this is terrible and is probably going to swing the this thread in the complete wrong direction but I really don't understand how people can REALLY believe in God. I just don't see how it is plausible to anyone who is thinking rationally. I don't get how someone can read the Bible and truly believe that there is this mysterious entity living in the sky who governs everything we do. It just doesn't make any sense to me and I don't get how it could make any sense to anyone else. I'm not trying to bash religious people but I really am confused. 
"
the same way hitler (not compairing religion to hitler here or anything of that nature, just the only thing i can think of as a comparison) was able to convince everyone that the nazi party was actually a good thing.

most people are taught from a young age to believe in a god or a religion, and during that time, a humans brain is trying to absorb as much information as possible in order to survive. A human doesnt instinctively know that walking out into the middle of a highway is a bad thing, he must be taught by his elders not to do so. Same thing works with religion, a human who is born doesnt naturally believe in a god or religion, so by tradition, he must be taught to.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By JJWeatherman
Fr0Br0 said:
"EVERYTHING about that video was hilarious."
AGREED. Wow I sort of can't believe that family. lmao.
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Goly

NOTHING FOR CHRISTMAS BOO HOO

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By oldschool

I was brought up in a none too strict religious family (Church of England - the church you have when you don't have a church)  that stopped going to church when I refused to go.  I was a precocious 5-6 year old who told my parents that the whole god thing made no sense and I wasn't going to church any more.  Sure, they got angry.  I was lectured, threatened with some violence.  I stood my ground as it truly made no sense to me and they relented.  Then we got a life and did other stuff :-)

Ossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Ossi
oldschool said:
"I was brought up in a none too strict religious family (Church of England - the church you have when you don't have a church)  that stopped going to church when I refused to go.  I was a precocious 5-6 year old who told my parents that the whole god thing made no sense and I wasn't going to church any more.  Sure, they got angry.  I was lectured, threatened with some violence.  I stood my ground as it truly made no sense to me and they relented.  Then we got a life and did other stuff :-)"
I was similar to you in that I went to church often when I was little with my family and totally thought nothing of it. None of it made sense and I was even forced to take those after church lessons to learn about why we should do good etc etc. For me doing good and being nice always came natural and made sense - what didn't was the justification of it being "Jesus' way" or "What God is telling us to do" nonsense. I only go to church now during midnight mass on Christmas eve because the feeling I had long ago of being together with my family is still there, not because of some floating dude in the sky.

This video is a great example that shows the extremes of such beliefs and how it actually creates hate and tension more-so than peace and love. In my personal opinion relying on religion alone is the most idiotic thing you can do and insults the nature of human beings. It's a mind trap tricking you to stick with a certain group and avoid or disown others even though your very beliefs could be based around unity and love. I don't like to use the word brainwash - but that is at it's very definition.
Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Time_Lord

I was sent to cathloic school and colloge turned me of religion. 

redgauss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By redgauss

Find this on reddit? Keyboard cat play him off?!

pisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pisk

lol amerikkka

poor kitty
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By adam_grif

My mum didn't care. My dad doesn't know, we never discuss anything like that with him. I don't think he'd care, he's not the religious type. My sister doesn't talk about it, but she's a devout Christian.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rowr

i would of found it very hard not to break something in that situation.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Despite the fact that I believe sincerely in God and afterlife , I have no problem with people with different ideologies than mine . Religion is merely a personal issue and has nothing to do with a person's social status .
Forcing someone to believe in something they do not believe in is the exact opposite of what Christianity (or any other religion ) is all about .
Being a Christian alone is not the sign of purity and being an atheist is not indicative of corruption .

In Giant Bomb for example there are a lot of wonderful people like Claudewho while atheist are absolutely great guys . 

SamuSlave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By SamuSlave

I think I've seen that cat in a Human League cover back in Liverpool back in '93.

Sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sweep  Moderator
LOOK AT TEH KITTEH :D
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidPrince

So...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By toowalrus

That mother was completely in the wrong, especially if she considers herself a Christian. First, by freaking out like that, she's only making things worse. My mother would be crushed. She would weep for me. She would do everything she could to win me back, but forcing a teenager to go to Church is the worst thing that you could do. My grandfather went through an identical situation with my uncle. When a parent finds out that their parent has lost their faith, it's heartbreaking, but you also have to understand that they've made their decision, and there's nothing YOU can do.

Also, that Xmas bullshit. Maybe historically Xmas was established so Christians have a date to celebrate the birth of Christ... but it's a government holiday. Everyone gets the day off work, regardless of faith. Giving gifts is a completely secular tradition, and that's the way it should be. We shouldn't have the government celebrating the birth of any religious figure.

Oh, I love keyboard cat, it's the perfect way to end that video!