Anime & Cartoon Megathread IV: We Must Limbo To Send This Thread On Its Way

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

@penguindust: Monthly Girls Nozaki Kun is pretty funny and great.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Still doing that One Piece thing, and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm at like episode 110ish, and deep into the Alabasta Arc. Now that I got past that post-Arlong lull the show really picked up again. Having clear short and mid term goals really does wonders for my patience. However I consistently feel like they spend just a little too long on every arc. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying it again.

What's the general consensus on One Piece's filler? As a Naruto fan I was trained to believe that all filler is garbage and should be liberally skipped. However the friend I made my deal with (she watches Naruto, I watch One Piece) seemed horrified at the thought of skipping episodes. Is the filler worth watching or is she just being unreasonable about One Piece as she is known to be? For the record I've been super bored during what filler there's been so far, but I've also heard that G8 is a really good arc that wasn't in the manga.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Man, that soundtrack in Dragon ball kai is still hooking me. How many times will I rewatch dragon ball z? There is literally no other show I have rewatched even half as much.

In other news, the Legend of Korra game is coming out very soon. This means its almost time for me to watch season 3!

In other other news, The way pyschopass season 1 ended had some really good things. Specifically I like Akane's character arc through it. Also, I didn't expect Kogane to pull the trigger. I thought something would have stopped him or he would have considered Akane's words.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j: Season 3 is the best so far (4 seems to be going good places too) you are in for a treat.

Also you can start PP2 as well.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By billymaysrip

@sinusoidal: Yo man, I watched all of it earlier this year and it's not dated at all. It's seriously the best series of all time - you should totally watch it. Fuck Game of Throne, fuck every other "epic" in scale show. LotGH is god tier level. It doesn't look terrible. The animation is fine.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@zombiepie: Are the other stories like super related? Would knowing the other thing flesh out the SG universe more and such?

not really. not counting the fact that chaos;head is creepy as hell, there's like 5 minor references to it at most (and it's mostly just like 'hey remember this thing that was really popular about a year ago huh')

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm finally going to watch Photo Kano this weekend. I decided I have to know.

Also, I'm bored and I can't sleep. That's when I make the best decisions.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@arbitrarywater: I loved Kill La Kill, but I agree that it does kind of lose some of what makes it so great towards the tail end of the show. What I thought was the best part of the show was the variety of over-the-top superpower representations of different school clubs (and later in the series, different cities/regions in Japan). That got kind of lost once they stopped introducing new characters and uniforms.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

I did not much care for where Kill La Kill ended up, but I fully accept that I'm in the minority here.

You are not in the minority, brother. We are the new "Silent Majority."

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#63 rmanthorp  Moderator

@arbitrarywater said:

I did not much care for where Kill La Kill ended up, but I fully accept that I'm in the minority here.

Word.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes feel like one of the only people outside of Japan to like Kill la Kill's ending. I just couldn't help, but love the whole show from start to finish. I can see it's flaws, but instead of hating on them I just accept them as part of the show's charm.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By GaspoweR

@dochaus said:

@negativecero: as I wrote earlier...

What's cool that's airing this season? For Fall 2014, because I was too busy to make one of those capsule preview blogs I do sometimes: check out Chaika the Coffin Princess, Inou Battle ("When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace"), Parasyte and Psycho-Pass.

I don't know if you checked this yet, @negativecero but in case you haven't or for other people who also want to check out the other shows that are out this season, I'm posting the links to the Fall 2014 Anichart and Kotaku's Fall Guide so you don't have to do the searches. :D

@penguindust: Oh for the past summer season, it's Nozaki-kun FOR SURE! Personally, its my favorite anime show to have come out this year. My only complaint: it's only 12 episodes long. ;_;

This season: maybe this one (it's a short form anime but man OH MAN the references....also this was mentioned in the most recent Bombcast email).

@zombiepie: OHWUT? I didn't even know that they were related! Thanks for pointing that out, sir!

@super2j: Knowing Kogami's history and the kind of person Makashima is, why wouldn't he pull the trigger? :D

Oh still catching up on Fate/Zero and it has been preeeeeeety good so far (I'm 12 episodes in). I'm kinda worried that ufotable F/SN isn't going to match the quality of writing/story in F/Z (well it is a Urobuchi joint) considering that I've seen the older DEEN studio adaptation (both the show and the UBW movie) so I already what the main story beats are going to be and I have no idea what they can do to make the story better. I know they can nail the animation for sure though.

Kirigitsu and Kirei are both bad asses in F/Z so it bums me out how Kirei was so fucking lame in the DEEN Studio F/SN adaptation.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Word.

Straight up.

Though I didn't really like any of KLK after those first few episodes so I'm not sure if I technically count or not...

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Is Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks just a series telling the same story as the movie of the same name?

Another question: I watched the original Psycho-Pass rather than the remake. Which one does the new series follow on from are they close enough that it doesn't matter?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By GaspoweR

@bigjeffrey said:

@gunslingerpanda said:

Another question: I watched the original Psycho-Pass rather than the remake. Which one does the new series follow on from are they close enough that it doesn't matter?

They are pretty much the same.

Yup, its not really a "remake" in a sense that they re-did the 1st season but more like "unabridged versions" (2 episodes are made into 1 45-minute episode) for the people who want to catch up on the show prior to the 2nd season and each episode just has two new scenes added to them that adds more context or fleshes out more details out of the characters' background stories a bit. I haven't watched the remake to completion yet though since I primarily watch out of the app and right now the Funimation app is still BORKED. ;_;

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes feel like one of the only people outside of Japan to like Kill la Kill's ending. I just couldn't help, but love the whole show from start to finish. I can see it's flaws, but instead of hating on them I just accept them as part of the show's charm.

Hey man, I'm right there with you. I thought the ending was fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What's the general consensus on One Piece's filler? As a Naruto fan I was trained to believe that all filler is garbage and should be liberally skipped. However the friend I made my deal with (she watches Naruto, I watch One Piece) seemed horrified at the thought of skipping episodes. Is the filler worth watching or is she just being unreasonable about One Piece as she is known to be? For the record I've been super bored during what filler there's been so far, but I've also heard that G8 is a really good arc that wasn't in the manga.

There are some decent filler arcs but they're all skippable. I'd say just avoid them for now and go back and watch them if you ever feel compelled.

Hell, there's even an arc that's canon called the Davey Back Arc and I think that's worth skipping. There are some pretty hilarious moments but literally nothing important happens at all, if memory serves me right. Felt like a giant filler and overall waste of time.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#72  Edited By Mezmero

@turtlebird95 said:

@hunter5024 said:

There are some decent filler arcs but they're all skippable. I'd say just avoid them for now and go back and watch them if you ever feel compelled.

Hell, there's even an arc that's canon called the Davey Back Arc and I think that's worth skipping. There are some pretty hilarious moments but literally nothing important happens at all, if memory serves me right. Felt like a giant filler and overall waste of time.

This guy pretty much nails it. I think compared to filler you'd see in Naruto or Bleach, One Piece's is surprisingly watchable at times. I think the great part about the main line is that they at least acquire something of value in almost every adventure where as the filler stories feature the Straw Hat's spontaneously acting out of complete charity which seems kind of out of character for pirates. Also the action scenes are fairly phoned in most of the time. They're harmless little side stories that kind of leave no impact. I will say this for the first filler arc, you almost never see ship-to-ship battles even in the main canon so it's one of the few times that feels like a proper engagement even if it is for one episode out of like five. But yeah most people who I've gotten into OP I've recommended skipping filler and they thank me for it later.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@super2j: Knowing Kogami's history and the kind of person Makashima is, why wouldn't he pull the trigger? :D

Ya, logically speaking... he would. But usually, in plots similar to this, the hero will go to kill the offender and then say "you are not worth it". He arrests the guy or whatever and walks away, reaching the end of his character arc. I expected them to rely on the cliche, so when he straight goes executioner on him... it caught me off guard.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By rubberluffy

Still doing that One Piece thing, and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm at like episode 110ish, and deep into the Alabasta Arc. Now that I got past that post-Arlong lull the show really picked up again. Having clear short and mid term goals really does wonders for my patience. However I consistently feel like they spend just a little too long on every arc. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying it again.

http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/one-piece yeah you can just skip the filler eps, this will help you save some time with that.

So, as for the upcoming second half of JoJo Stardust Crusaders, we got confirmation on which version of (character spoiler) Iggy will show up. Pic with spoilers:

No Caption Provided

Looks like we're getting Ugly Iggy right from the start. I wonder if they'll switch him over to the more humanized look later on, like the manga.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#75  Edited By emfromthesea

@sunbrozak: Recommend watching it at night with the lights off. The best experience is clearing your day and watching all 13 episodes uninterrupted with nothing to block you from fully engrossing yourself into the anime. There's so much amazing stuff going on in Serial Experiments Lain. The sound and music is top-notch, and that shit makes you think. The animation quality is also great for a show that came out in '98.

It's not really scary, more unsettling - the entire show left me with a strong sense of unease. I spent most of the 90s watching Gundam and DBZ - then Cowboy Bebop, NGE, and Serial Experiments Lain came out and I learned that anime could be something special.

Thanks for the advice, duder! Will do.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By penguindust

@gaspower: @daveyo520: @bigjeffrey: Thank you for the recommendation. Since all of you mentioned the same show, I'll be certain to check it out this weekend.

On a side note, after watching about 560 One Piece episodes and reading 675 chapters of the manga, I believe the only filler arc I'd recommend is the G8 arc. The Apis Arc and Ice Hunter Arc are watchable but not all that memorable. The Ocean Dream Arc rates slightly higher since it features Robin, my favorite character. There are a couple of one-shot and two-shot fillers worth checking out, though. I really like the Boss Luffy episodes which star the crew in Edo (Shogun era) Japan. When I was reading the manga, I felt the G8 arc was missing as it more aptly wraps up Skypia storyline.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, I haven't watched anime since I finished watching Hikaru no Go. Have I missed much?

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@bisonhero: Hikaru no Go? Wow, that's a blast from the past. What kinds of shows are you interested in?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#79  Edited By Hamst3r

@bisonhero said:

Hey guys, I haven't watched anime since I finished watching Hikaru no Go. Have I missed much?

You've come to the right place...

No Caption Provided

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks just a series telling the same story as the movie of the same name?

On Fate/Stay Night: Kinda. I mean it's going to be the same story, but it's a lot more faithful to the VN and it's actually well animated because it isn't DEEN.

On Psycho-Pass: It doesn't matter. The Extended Cut only added a few little scenes here and there and they weren't that substantial.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesushammer: I liked the end as well. While it could have been more over the top it was over the top enough. I like TTGL's ending better but KlK's was still good.

@penguindust: It is pretty great.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Daveyo520

Oh so I may be watching shows about high school girls forming jpop girl bands now.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus said:

@bisonhero: Hikaru no Go? Wow, that's a blast from the past. What kinds of shows are you interested in?

I only watched anime for 2-3 years back when I was in high school. Just popped into the thread because I wanted to see what hot anime action was going on in here. Pretty busy at school, so I barely find the time to play video games, haven't watched anything on Netflix in months, sadly can't afford to spend dozens of hours on anime either. Time is such a precious resource once you finish high school.

But I dunno. Watched original Evangelion, a friend recommended RahXephon (which in many ways I think I like more than Evangelion), same friend recommended Samurai Deeper Kyo which is TERRIBLE and you can really tell the budget was low because the fight scenes are abysmal and static, watched maybe 100 episodes of Naruto and good lord did it take forever for anything to happen, watched like 10 episodes of Bleach. And watched all of Hikaru no Go. And I guess I watched some English dubs that made their way to Canadian television (Gundam Wing when I was younger which I still have a soft spot for, I tried to watch Gundam Seed but couldn't stand it, I liked what I saw of Witch Hunter Robin).

If I found the time, I'd probably go back and watch Ghost in the Shell. Then some combination of Psycho-Pass and Witch Hunter Robin.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#86  Edited By FightMeNerd
Loading Video...

Never seen this anime but probably one of the best Anime Music Videos I have seen. The drop is at the 1:25 mark but the build up is pretty great so I don't know why you would skip it.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@badnews: You should see it. The Monogatari series is pretty great. Besides the occasional toothbrush.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Crembaw

@daveyo520 said:

@badnews: You should see it. The Monogatari series is pretty great. Besides the occasional toothbrush.

Those toothbrushes will turn you and your sister into a Newtype, though!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@crembaw said:

@daveyo520 said:

Those toothbrushes will turn you and your sister into a Newtype, though!

The toothbrush scene is art! ART I SAY.
Seriously though, Monogatari is pretty awesome. I generally recommend it, unless you are squeamish. Even if it's mostly just talking the violent scenes don't really pull punches and the sexual "innuendo" is quiiiiite prevalent.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Decided to kill some time updating MAL. Thought I was getting pretty close to done. Felt like I accomplished something. Forgot there was a manga section.

Fuck.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@babychoochoo: I update the manga stuff like once a year. I feel like it isn't nearly as useful.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#92  Edited By DocHaus

@bisonhero: Well, there is a list I linked in the OP if you want somewhere to start, but if you're looking for something relatively short and episodic, see if "Level E" is available in your area. It's darkly-humorous sci-fi from the guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@badnews: Oh if you want to check out the Monogatari shows/specials its in this order:

Bakemonogatari -> Nisemonogatari -> Nekomonogatari Black -> Monogatari 2nd season -> Hanamonogatari

Its hella confusing to follow due to the different titles but dont worry though it'll make sense. :D

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Korra book 4 epsiode 3 - I'm interest with the whole Kuvira ruling over the earth nation since many are very happy with her work. However, it is the fact that she is threatening the other nations may not been the best.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Log Horizon 2 3 - Yo dawg, so I heard you wanna learn what a raid is?

Bonjour Sweet Pastry something - Starts off with a girl waking up and wishing a good day to a picture of her dead parents. Goes to an extremely fancy culinary arts school (because why the fuck not). Got in by scholarship. Bumps into the school "bad boy" in the hallway. Discovers the one rule in school is that relationships between students and instructors are forbidden. Turns out her instructors are all incredibly good-looking, young men. I WONDER WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN?!?! jesus-fucking-christ they could at least try to do anything original. Luckily, each episode is only 5 minutes though so I'm probably gonna watch the shit out of it for shits and giggles.

Mushishi Zoku Shou 13 - It's more Mushishi and I couldn't be happier.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so me and my friends were talking about akame ga kill and white fox,and there was a anime called Hataraku Maō-sama or the devil is a part timer in english,on the list of anime white fox has been involved in.the name got all of us interested so i started watching it.the story is basically about the devil coming to earth(for a reason i wont spoil)and having to live a normal life,which in turn makes him get a job at mcronalds(i wonder what food place thats hinting at).so the story is very unique and interesting for the obvious reason,the characters are likable and funny,the show is just a really fun time.its the only comedy ive seen that i really liked and theres also more than just comedy it has action and slice of life and tons of other genres in here,its just a very unique show.so i must say that its really good and everyone should at least give it a try.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: the guy who wrote Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru is Takahiro, whose only other major work is Akame ga Kill! - so the flags were there from the beginning. I'm looking forward to gratuitous violence and death from my cutesy magical girl anime. If you can't webm, you can at least gfycat.

@babychoochoo: nah man, romance between the instructors and students is prohibited. Nothing's gonna happen. She's going to work hard at her school, graduate, work at a shop for a while, save up, buy her own shop, marry a nice business man, have a couple kids, and give delicious pastries to her grandkids. All in five minute chunks.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasp: Oh yeah caught up to that recently as well and I really enjoyed it. It'd be nice if it had another season considering the manga is still ongoing.

@babychoochoo: nah man, romance between the instructors and students is prohibited. Nothing's gonna happen. She's going to work hard at her school, graduate, work at a shop for a while, save up, buy her own shop, marry a nice business man, have a couple kids, and give delicious pastries to her grandkids. All in five minute chunks.

But what if said businessman was ALSO A FORMER INSTRUCTOR IN THAT CULINARY SCHOOL?!? :O

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@nasp: Oh yeah caught up to that recently as well and I really enjoyed it. It'd be nice if it had another season considering the manga is still ongoing.

Don't worry @nasp a lot of people watched Hataraku Maō-sama, and it was generally well received. My only problem with it is that the director of the anime is a big Chiho fan - when we all know that the otp is Emi and Sadao.