Anime & Cartoon Megathread IV: We Must Limbo To Send This Thread On Its Way

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by nasp (652 posts) -

so i watched all of moribito in one sitting,and overall i thought the show was good but not amazing.the soundtrack was amazing,the animation was pretty good and the action was great.the characters were really good,especially the main female character who is probably one of the best female characters in a anime imo.i did have a couple problems with it though(one is also a problem i feel to be in alot of anime and movies and so on)is the pacing.i felt there were some episodes that dragged on too long,or a couple episodes i felt that could have been cut entirely.which once again has been a problem with anime since even the bebop days(which if you seen me in these threads for a bit you would know thats why i dont like bebop).the other problem was the story wasnt that great.it wasnt bad but its been done before and didnt really offer anything new.the best part of this show is the action and characters,which since the pacing wasnt great and the story wasnt great there would be stretches of time where they would focus on the story and not the best parts of the show,which hurt the show overall.overall it was good and i would recommend it to anyone,especially people who are new to anime because i feel this is a great gateway anime for people to get into anime without getting into anything crazy at the start.

#202 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

Chaika - Akari gives the best inspirational speeches...

No Caption Provided

Also, red Chaika and a fucking random ass kraken in one episode? Christmas came early this year.

#203 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu ~ Man dis fing soundtrack all over the place i love it

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle ~ good ep also great disguise

No Caption Provided

@nasp said:
@bigjeffrey said:

Sunday Without God 01 ~ This seems pretty interesting will probably burn through it.

Don't kick the loli bro

dude has a holster and everything

ive actually had this on my too watch list for a long time,ide be interested in your opinion once youre done.

Pretty unique premise some real good characters fantastic art style and awesome music ending song specifically. Loli is main characters, she is pretty good

#204 Posted by Hamst3r (5480 posts) -

Planetes - The second half of this show was better than the first half, although the ending felt a bit lackluster. Looking up a clip of the ending on Youtube, seems people quite like the way it ended, so I dunno, it just felt sorta empty. I guess I wanted something more dramatic. Overall a very good show though.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san - Episodes 1~3 - I want to touch fox-form Kokkuri-san's wittle paw pads.

Angel Beats! - Episodes 1~5 - It's good so far, but it's furthering my awareness that people seem to be into "comedy drama", and "comedy horror", or more simply genre+comedy way more than I am.

#205 Edited by azrailx (604 posts) -

@hamst3r: i really liked planetes, felt like the show really built on itself. originally i didnt enjoy the ending that much but over time it grew on me...

#206 Posted by zeroyaoi (47 posts) -

Thanks for the recommendation. Can't wait to get started. :)

#207 Edited by GaspoweR (4901 posts) -

@hamst3r: My dog hates it when I try to touch her paw pads. ;_; ;_; :3

Just got around to watching Blue Exorcist and I haven't finished it yet but I'm at a point where its lost its momentum and never picked back up. I was enjoying with the way it started but now I'm starting to get bored with it. Im in the middle of the 22nd episode and I could just finish watching the entire series at this point but I feel like I wouldn't be getting any sort of enjoyment with the ending with the way the story is progressing.

I dunno maybe I've just been spoiled by watching a lot of anime recently that I really enjoyed. :D

#208 Edited by Hunter5024 (6706 posts) -

@ottorostock said:

I love anime but I hate the childish and naive themes in them.

But dude. The power of friendship can overcome anything!

#209 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

@ottorostock said:

I love anime but I hate the childish and naive themes in them.

But dude. The power of friendship can overcome anything!

No Caption Provided

#210 Edited by Aegon (7312 posts) -

Latest Naruto is hilarious

Funniest "Uzumaki Naruto Rendan" in the whole thing with that elbow in the face.

All of a sudden they lose all their super power and finally Sasuke brings out something related to ninjas (shuriken). But then they start to pathetically knock each other about.

And the cheesiest line in the whole fucking manga, Sasuke proclaiming how "It is me" who is destined to win due to his Uchiha eyes, is in this chapter.

#211 Edited by OttoRostock (33 posts) -
#212 Posted by Turtlebird95 (3618 posts) -

Naruto 697 - More fighting... looks like maybe it could end next week? I hope so anyway, as I really don't care about the fight at all and just want to see what happens with all the other characters.

More importantly though, guys... GUYS. We have TWO chapters left. Will the manga be able to resolve anything in that amount of time? I've seen the supposed plot for Naruto the Last and it doesn't seem like that movie will add a whole hell of a lot. They've also been teasing another Naruto project set to be revealed shortly after (or maybe before, I can't remember) the manga ends. Wonder what that could be?

One Piece 765 - Rosinante is a pretty legit dude. It's going to be painful to watch Doflamingo slaughter him.

#213 Edited by TheMikFC (24 posts) -

Log Horizon has my attention at the moment. If you like the "we're stuck in a video game....awesome" line of thinking you should check it out. I think it's better than .hack and SAO, but that doesn't take much.

#214 Edited by metalsnakezero (2884 posts) -

Hitsugi no Chaika - Avenging Battle - 03 - I have to wonder what the process to do cloning is like in this world because they say Chaika was killed by beheading and all the Chaika have a scar on their necks. Their must be someone who plan it with the father to either mimic the original Chaika. Also worst disguise ever.

PSYCHO-PASS 2 - 03 - Just as they are getting some pieces to the case together their situation goes bad. I wonder if the agency still has real firearms because their down fall is relaying on the system too much.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - 03 - It understandable to have a trauma so bad that it prevent you from performing. What he needs is some major support which is where Kaori comes in.

#215 Edited by GaspoweR (4901 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: I hope that Kogami is going to come back at some point as the Batman of the Psycho Pass universe.

Operating outside the system, dispensing his own brand of justice and he has no problem taking fools out like the ice cold motherfucker he is (and also has no qualms hurting cops too if it came to it). The more "predictable" route in my mind is that they end up revealing later on that he's actually another criminal mastermind and they pretty much set it up towards the end of the 1st season that way (e.g. he was the only guy who understood Makashima though he didn't agree with his methods, the Sibyl System is messed up, etc.) and I'd be a little bit disappointed if that is the case. Not to the point that I'd hate the show though I'd still keep watching even that is what's going to happen.

I doubt they're gonna go through with it but if they do go with the Kogami-is-the-on-the-run-criminal-vigilante route, I'm gonna be so pumped. I don't even care if he ends up being somewhat of a bad guy in the end either as long as they don't go with him being the less fucked-up second coming of Makishima. Makishima was great as a villain but I just I hope they don't just go back to the well and making another one. This new bad guy seems to be aping certain characteristics of Makishima but I hope he's just there for the first half of the season though or they'll be able to pull it off well enough for an entire season. :D

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
#216 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (1287 posts) -

@gaspower said:

Well, clearly your dog is a tsundere. You watch anime, you know how to deal with this.

#217 Edited by GaspoweR (4901 posts) -

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

@gaspower said:

Well, clearly your dog is a tsundere. You watch anime, you know how to deal with this.

Dammit, you're right! The only time she ever wants anything to do with me is when I rub her belly!

Time to consult some old videos of tsundere dogs for research...

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
#218 Posted by deactivated-590b7522e5236 (1918 posts) -

g reconguista is so weird, ive never seen an anime with so many random visual gags (or just random animation in general), feels like the director is obsessed with tiny details and has no idea how to focus on the bigger picture. The result is inscrutable characters who talk like aliens but animate in a very human way, I dunno its a pretty cool effect I guess, the show is actually hilarious based solely on observing the random crap they throw in the background.

#219 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

Psycho-Pass 2 ~ The system was messed up to begin with.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 03 ~ This was a real fine epsiode

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu ~ And thus tailblue joined the fight.

Also made a webm, it was super easy.

#220 Posted by Hamst3r (5480 posts) -

Angel Beats! was good, albeit rushed feeling and flawed, with a whole heap of contrived coincidences. They should redo this series at the originally intended 26 episode length.

#221 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1550 posts) -

Man that new Fate/Stay Night show is pretty great so far. I havent seen the original but i watched and loved Fate/Zero and the first 3 episodes have have really surprised me.

Was looking around this thread for a new show and started watching Chaika, started witht the first episode of season 2 by accident but it was a fun show. Went and watched the first episode of season 1 and really enjoyed it

#222 Posted by GaspoweR (4901 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: Yeah its good that you didnt do what I did and started with the older adaptation so you are sort of coming into this new adaptation fresh. In fact, even though I saw the older ones already and know whats going to happen, I am enjoying the heck out of the current Ufotable adaptation.

#223 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru 03 ~ New Hero appears out of nowhere. She seems badass.

but she's pretty typical, "i'm all about the job" kind of attitude. Then by yhe end of ep warming up to the "idiots".

No Caption Provided

Also is this not a giant ass death flag or what?

No Caption Provided

#224 Posted by rubberluffy (788 posts) -

Now you too can learn English with the help of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Marty Friedman, former guitarist for Megadeth.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#225 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2966 posts) -

@nasp: Moribito is cool! It's based on a book, so I sort of presume a lot of stuff was made up to make it that long of a show. With the exception of that slow pace, though, I also really enjoyed it. The characters are all nice, it's rare to find a show that has a lot of gray morality but everyone is basically nice instead of basically dicks. Really loved their rendition of a spirit world in the Flower Wine for Tanda episode, too. Such a slow build, and at the end, he's standing on a mountaintop watching another mountain move. Sends goosebumps down my spine.

Loading Video...

#226 Posted by GaspoweR (4901 posts) -

Now you too can learn English with the help of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Marty Friedman, former guitarist for Megadeth.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

#227 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

Mushishi S2 14 - I don't know whether or not that counts as a happy ending...

#228 Posted by golguin (5469 posts) -

The latest episode of Psycho-Pass Season 2 is hyping things up. Parasyte is still really cool. Log Horizon Season 2 make me want to play an MMO, but I know they're too complex for me so I just don't.

Still making my way through the week's anime shows.

#229 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -
#230 Posted by metalsnakezero (2884 posts) -

Sword art online 2 16 - Well I think I'm at the point where I'm bored with the show. Their trying to apply drama to something that isn't real. Kinda loses the tension of it.

Fate Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works - 03 - Omg that fight was amazing! Shirou didn't have much to offer but at least he understand his situation he gotten him in.

#231 Posted by golguin (5469 posts) -

I like that the sword skills are back in SAO. The sound effects for the sword strikes are very nostalgic. Nice to see some budget was placed on that boss fight.

Fate Stay Night continues to be top tier. People who haven't seen Fate/Zero need to get on that NOW because they are laying on the scenes that only make sense to people that have seen Fate/Zero. Did you see Saber react to her name?

#232 Posted by FrostyRyan (2923 posts) -

I know I'm super late but WOW Legend of Korra season 3 is amazing. I've got 2 episodes left and I hear it ends great. Then onto season 4. I'm so behind on shows...

#233 Posted by Wraith1 (610 posts) -

@golguin: a lot of people mainly the hard core Type Moon fans, have been saying that you don't to have seen Fate/Zero to watch Fate/ Stay Night. Also the fight between Rin and Illya seems to be anime original material and was never in the original VN

#234 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -
#235 Posted by golguin (5469 posts) -

@wraith1 said:

@golguin: a lot of people mainly the hard core Type Moon fans, have been saying that you don't to have seen Fate/Zero to watch Fate/ Stay Night. Also the fight between Rin and Illya seems to be anime original material and was never in the original VN

I would say it really helps as characters are talking about things or reacting to situations that would only make sense to someone that has already seen Fate/Zero.

Interesting to know that Illya doesn't use those attacks in the source material. Anyone who's seen Fate/Zero would know that magic.

#236 Edited by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@frostyryan: Ya it is by far the best season and this season is good so far as well.

#237 Posted by FrostyRyan (2923 posts) -

@frostyryan: Ya it is by far the best season and this season is good so far as well.

I rather loved season 1(aside from the last 5 minutes,) so I wouldn't say by far, but yeah, 3 was a fantastic season.

I just watched the first two episodes of season 4. Once again, wow. See, Nickelodeon? See what happens when you don't rush your writers? I feel like season 3 and 4 are the apology seasons for season 2.

#238 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@frostyryan: I wish they realized it sooner before they took it off of TV. It is a real bummer what Nick did to that series.

#239 Edited by AlKusanagi (1650 posts) -

You know, I love Sword Art Online, but this is the third antagonist in a row whose defining character trait is "rapey."

#240 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

Ange 04 ~ this is so [spoilers] dumb.

#241 Edited by JimiPeppr (609 posts) -

Starting to get kind of sad. Only have three episodes of JoJo left to watch.

#242 Edited by GaspoweR (4901 posts) -

@golguin said:

@wraith1 said:

I would say it really helps as characters are talking about things or reacting to situations that would only make sense to someone that has already seen Fate/Zero.

Interesting to know that Illya doesn't use those attacks in the source material. Anyone who's seen Fate/Zero would know that magic.

I have to agree with Golguin on this one. Ufotable made their Fate Stay Night adaptation in such a way that it ties directly to Fate Zero. You may not need to have seen Zero but it makes it worth it to have seen Zero prior to Ufotable's FSN anime. It makes certain scenes/short clips that show up from Fate Zero in their FSN adaptation have more context, especially the part that Rin is trying to act more mature than her age due to her becoming the head of the family because of what happened to her father, she doesn't come off as a tsundere stereotype unlike with the DEEN adaptation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing rather ufotable's version is able to tie it in with more context and it helps with character building.

#243 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1550 posts) -

Another episode of Akame ga Kill, another character killed off. We saw Chelsea's back-story so of course she had to die this episode.

Im burning through Chaika the Coffin Princess, its really great and i dont know how i missed it earlier this year. Chaika and her weird way of talking is just so damn adorable. I also love the op, gives me a Disgaea feeling though.

#244 Posted by golguin (5469 posts) -

You know, I love Sword Art Online, but this is the third antagonist in a row whose defining character trait is "rapey."

I believe it falls in line with Norse mythology. It's like saying that Zeus was kinda rapey. I kinda like the fact that their antagonist are willing to go full bad. It wouldn't make sense if they WEREN'T rapey.

It's like you have a bad guy that wants to take whatever they want, but when asked about sex they're suddenly all, "Woah, woah, dude. I'll kill, torture, and destroy this entire village, but even I know that no means no."

#245 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

Akame ga Kill! 17 ~ WELL FUCK, Everyone dead again.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Grisaia no Kajitsu 04 ~ real rushed but gotta cram in 4 routes in 8 epsiodes, also love the direction dat watanabe touch

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Sora no Method04 ~ She getting smacked once again, still no new info on the disk in the sky.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#246 Posted by golguin (5469 posts) -

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Grisaia no Kajitsu 04 ~ real rushed but gotta cram in 4 routes in 8 epsiodes, also love the direction dat watanabe touch

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Sora no Method04 ~ She getting smacked once again, still no new info on the disk in the sky.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It looks like Akeme ga Kill is going to have a huge roster of characters because they are just plowing through all of them. At the very least it's hard to know who's going to survive any given fight.

#247 Edited by GaspoweR (4901 posts) -

@golguin said:

@bigjeffrey said:

It looks like Akeme ga Kill is going to have a huge roster of characters because they are just plowing through all of them. At the very least it's hard to know who's going to survive any given fight.

Yeah I already knew who was going to die weeks ago since I was trying to read up on character backgrounds AND WELP saw the spoiler. It was also in a portion of a different character's background where I saw the spoiler, too. ;_;

#248 Edited by Hamst3r (5480 posts) -

Any of y'all know how to read Katakana and stuff?

I've been practicing - Hiragana too - and for the most part I can figure out what everything says, but occasionally I'll get confused about why something is written the way it is:

1. In SeHa Girls, They write Dreamcast as ドリームキャスト (Do-Ri~Mu-Kya-Su-To). The bit that confuses me is the Kya. Why not use Ka? ドリームカスト (Do-Ri~Mu-Ka-Su-To) sounds better to me.

2. In the final episode of Planetes they wrote Von Braun as フォン・ブラウン (Fu-O-n Bu-Ra-U-n) instead of using ヴォン (Vu~O-n) at the start. I had only just learned about the ヴ (vu) kana from an earlier episode of Planetes where they had used it in the credits.

Is it just translation weirdness/inaccuracy or is there some grammatical reason for using the Kya instead of Ka and the Fu instead of Vu?

edit: @video_game_king, perhaps you're the duder to ask about this sort of thing. :O

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
#249 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (1287 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

Any of y'all know how to read Katakana and stuff?

I've been practicing - Hiragana too - and for the most part I can figure out what everything says, but occasionally I'll get confused about why something is written the way it is:

1. In SeHa Girls, They write Dreamcast as ドリームキャスト (Do-Ri~Mu-Kya-Su-To). The bit that confuses me is the Kya. Why not use Ka? ドリームカスト (Do-Ri~Mu-Ka-Su-To) sounds better to me.

2. In the final episode of Planetes they wrote Von Braun as フォン・ブラウン (Fu-O-n Bu-Ra-U-n) instead of using ヴォン (Vu~O-n) at the start. I had only just learned about the ヴ (vu) kana from an earlier episode of Planetes where they had used it in the credits.

Is it just translation weirdness/inaccuracy or is there some grammatical reason for using the Kya instead of Ka and the Fu instead of Vu?

edit: @video_game_king, perhaps you're the duder to ask about this sort of thing. :O

Made up names can be pronounced however the creator wishes, although in the the case of the Dreamcast, the English word "cast" is written and pronounced "キャスト (kyasuto)" in Japanese. There's no hard-and-fast rule about how foreign words are transcribed into Katakana (for example, "character" is written and pronounced "キャラクター (kyarakutā)" instead of "チャラクター (charakutā)", rule of the thumb is: when in doubt, to trust your ears.

The whole issue involving the h-v-f thing is more complex and mostly due to the fact that there are no real "V" sounds in native Japanese. Short answer is, the different ways to write "V" are all valid, but the technically correct way would be "ヴォン".

#250 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -
@gaspower said:

@golguin said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Yeah I already knew who was going to die weeks ago since I was trying to read up on character backgrounds AND WELP saw the spoiler. It was also in a portion of a different character's background where I saw the spoiler, too. ;_;

yeah seems no one is safe maybe Akeme cause that is what the show is called. who knows doe