#3801 Edited by JunkerWoland (87 posts) -

@aegon: Watching that show may actually be more difficult for those who have consumed a decent amount of the more canon Fate media. It's not zany (both in tone and visuals), like Carnival Phantasm, and I found it a bit awkward watching certain characters pleasantly interacting with each other. So yeah, watch, it's fine (although, I find the show pretty boring; it's visually charming, but rather listless). But as other have suggested, it's not a great avenue, if you're looking to get into Fate-proper.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#3802 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2711 posts) -

I am blown away at the number and variety in the Fate spinoffs. A chill food cooking show? Sure dude, whatever.

@alwaysbebombing said:
@matiaz_tapia said:

Aggretsuko is fan-fucking-tastic. I just did not expect a clever and fun "Office Space"-like from the hello kitty people.

It's so fucking good. I would recommend it to everyone.

Aggretsuko is solid! I watched it all in one day and liked it a lot. I tried to temper my expectations, because people are gonna talk about anything as long as it's on Netflix, but in this case I got a comedy show with some great writing and very human characters.

#3803 Posted by AlKusanagi (1580 posts) -

Man, I don't care how flawed it was when all was said and done, Digimon Tri was my SHIT!!!

I'm also surprised how much I'm liking Gun Gale Online. It's got some John Wick levels of sanitized violence.

#3804 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7039 posts) -

Manga stuffs:

• I can't believe it took me so long to realize Park Min-seo is the author for both Dark Air and Perfect Half. Well, I guess it shouldn't really be that surprising since it felt like Dark Air was getting released/translated so irregularly that you sometimes forgot it exists...which I did because last time I remembering reading it was long before i started reading Perfect Half. I picked Dark Air back up today and just sorta went "heeeeeey, this looks like-" and yeah now I'm making this dumb post lol. I would recommend both series, but just know going in that Perfect Half is much more...explicit.
  • Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san a.k.a. Please don't bully me, Nagatoro! - Girl begins teasing shy, awkward, nerdy guy because, most obvious not-really-a-spoiler in the world, she has a massive crush on him. Light-hearted, sickeningly sweet series. Seriously, in one chapter, she walks in on him drawing manga in the library. This particular drawing though happens to be one of her. He panics and runs off and drops his notebook. She notices said notebook, picks it up, and sees the picture. A little confused and embarrassed at first (she's also drawn as a catgirl btw...), but she ends up liking it and, presumably, what it means - sempai thinks about her!. So she runs off after him with just the cutest, hugest smile plastered across her face so she could of course tease him about it. I'm really enjoying it. My only concern is that I'm not sure how long this can last without some sort of shakeup. Tomo-chan, Nozaki-kun, and Horimiya are very similar series in that we know where the romance is ultimately headed, but thanks to either a large cast of characters, a larger focus on comedy/slice-of-life, or both, those series can go on for quite some time without feeling tired. Here, they've only really introduced two other characters, but they've only been in one chapter and every chapter of this, including that one with the other characters, is largely just her teasing him and as sweet as it is, I'm just not sure how long it can last without feeling old.
  • I don't know if this is a recent trend, but I've definitely noticed there are a lot of isekai a.k.a. "transported to another world" series out there. And I feel pretty confident in saying 99% of the ones I've personally seen include harems of some sort. Maybe it's just the ones that get posted to reddit or something, but for a genre with so much potential, it doesn't seem too interested in expanding beyond that and far too many people yelling "Hero-samaaaaaa."
#3805 Edited by Justin258 (15345 posts) -

@redhotchilimist said:

I am blown away at the number and variety in the Fate spinoffs. A chill food cooking show? Sure dude, whatever.

@alwaysbebombing said:
@matiaz_tapia said:

Aggretsuko is fan-fucking-tastic. I just did not expect a clever and fun "Office Space"-like from the hello kitty people.

It's so fucking good. I would recommend it to everyone.

Aggretsuko is solid! I watched it all in one day and liked it a lot. I tried to temper my expectations, because people are gonna talk about anything as long as it's on Netflix, but in this case I got a comedy show with some great writing and very human characters.

I watched the first episode of Aggretsuko, because I'm someone who watches anime and works in an office and listens to death metal (though sadly I do not participate in any metal karaoke) so I felt obliged to. And yeah, it's pretty great, but I fucking despise every single character. Except Retsuko herself, because of course they've gotta have somebody you can identify with. Because of that, I'm not sure if I want to watch more of it, but I finished that first episode with a grin on my face so I probably should watch more of that.

In other news, I finished episode 11 of Violet Evergarden, I have two more to go, and that's a better show than I thought it would be. I came for the pretty pictures and stayed for the... well, mostly for the pretty pictures, but also because it's almost-but-not-quite too saccharine and sappy and melodramatic to be believable.

I find it kinda hard to believe that Violet says she's only 14 years old - this is one of those times in anime where the girl looks older than she says she is. It also makes the relationship between her and the major a little creepier than they probably meant, though they also kinda seem to be implying that the major thought of her as an adopted daughter rather than a love interest.

Does anyone know how long it will be before the dub of My Hero Academia Season 3 is all the way out? I know they're simulcasting part of it, but how much time was there between Season 2 finishing its Japanese subtitled run and Season 2 finishing its Season 2 dub? I ask because I am very interested in watching it but I'd rather binge the whole thing over a few days once in one language instead of twice in two languages. Also is Season 3 going to be 12 episodes like the first one or 26 episodes like the second?

#3806 Posted by Zeik (5135 posts) -

@justin258: Right now the MHA dub is going up day and date with the sub, but as I recall, they took a brief hiatus last season midway and ended up being a few weeks behind by the end.

Also I haven't heard how long the season is supposed to be, but I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't a full season, given its current popularity.

#3807 Posted by AlKusanagi (1580 posts) -

@justin258: One of the major things about Aggretsuko is how the characters are far deeper than they appear, and by the end of the series you can at least understand them all if not outright empathize with them.

#3808 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2711 posts) -

Yeah, I liked every character in Aggretsuko. Even the jackass bosses and the suckups, it's a fun bunch of people. Like yeah, they're not all nice. But there are enough characters like Fenneko and Haida that are genuinely good friends, and the characters that are less pleasant are all just petty and self-interested rather than outright dipshits with zero redeeming qualities. Even a jerk like Ton has a good side to him. That multifaceted characterization combined with the comedy, exaggerated personalities and animation made it hard for me to dislike any character. Not everyone gets equal screentime, granted. But the main characters have all got both external and internal problems to struggle against, and I appreciate that.

This MHA season is 25 episodes again.

In different news, Lupin was really funny this week. I guess they needed a bit of a breather between two more serious arcs, so we get one pastel-colored episode of comedy where Lupin's trying to open a safe that only opens if you've got a brainpower of zero. Most of the episode is spent on Fujiko and Jigen just beating the shit out of Lupin to debilitate his mental state enough for the safe to open for him, but I also liked the cuts to the inventors of the safe - who are as dumb as you'd expect. They also went all in on the animation on this episode, with every character kinda overacting compared to a regular episode. It felt very retro and tickled me greatly, like they did a crossover with Osomatsu-san or something.

#3809 Posted by mezmero (3644 posts) -

Ended up watching Aggretsuko in two sittings and it is pretty great. I went into it thinking it was just going to be a gag show, was not expecting like a legit workplace dramedy. The amount of empathy I felt for this cartoon working girl was palpable to say the least. At several points I found myself relating to Retsuko on a molecular level. Though I'm typically a subs guy I watched it all with the English dub and still found it very enjoyable.

I'm still liking Megalo Box a lot but I'm not sure how to feel about the direction it's going.

Admittedly yes, it's badass that "Joe" is doing fights while Gearless, but I feel like it's undercutting the premise a bit more than it should to have the main character just opt out entirely. Wouldn't have minded it if it was for like his first match but it's already become the norm in a way that feels down right irresponsible. This is presumably a world where concussions caused by hydraulic powered punches is a common occurrence, and yet they're letting this dude fight without a means to reasonably defend against a full on robot punch. At least give him arm guards or something for fuck sake. At the same time it really does drive home his underdog status by making him seem like a little Mac for the purposes of the story. Genuinely hoping he gets sponsored for at least some basic arms because it stresses me out to watch Joe fight so recklessly.

Started watching Gurazeni and not really sure what to make of it. It's a fascinating topic to tackle as far as the longevity and financial security of pro players but it's otherwise unremarkable as a sports anime. Honestly seems like the sort of thing that didn't need to be an anime and could have worked fine as a J-drama.

#3810 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7039 posts) -

Despite being, without question, the most unfinished chapter of My Hero Academia (a result of something that had to do with Golden Week and weird deadlines for all the WSJ authors?), it ended up including what are so far some of my favorite panels from the entire series. I wouldn't even call them the best or anything either. Just a couple of moments I've been dying to see and ended up paying off very well.

No Caption Provided
SHE. SMILED.
SHE. SMILED.

#3811 Posted by Hamst3r (5438 posts) -
Loading Video...
No Caption Provided

#3812 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15404 posts) -

Darling in the Franxx is definitely starting to get crazy in the way I've wanted it to since the start, now that they've graduated from metaphorical teen boning to actual teen boning. I dunno, wouldn't have guessed that the show I described as "the one with the horny mechs and the unsubtle metaphors" would actually start delivering on its themes in interesting ways. Feels like one of those examples where the 3 episode rule doesn't work at all.

As for other hot seasonal anime hits, I think Hinamatsuri is shaping up to be really solid as well, between balancing some of the better deadpan anime reaction faces I've seen since Konosuba and actually being genuinely kinda sweet. I think Steins;Gate 0 is making some smart choices with how it's adapting the VN. It does make me wonder how people who haven't played the Visual Novel are taking things though.

#3813 Posted by AlKusanagi (1580 posts) -

Darling in the Franxx fucks

#3814 Posted by Aegon (7290 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Oh, I dropped Darling in the Franxx after the first episode. Not that it was terrible, just didn't seem like it was going to deliver the best of what Trigger can do. If it's just teenage horny drama I'm not sure if that's enough for me to pick it up again though.

#3815 Posted by golguin (5466 posts) -

Aggretsuko Is the type of show that hits too close to home for some people, but it’s amazing .

Darling in the Franxx continues to be a top tier show with unexpected turns although I figured it had to get to this point since the book became a thing.

#3816 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7039 posts) -

@aegon: It's obviously got a lot of teenagers and it's definitely horny sometimes - though similar to something like Kill la Kill, sometimes it's 'horniness' is a direct result of the themes it's trying to convey and, sadly, also similar to something like Kill la Kill, it's 'horniness' sometimes exists for no other reason than fap material (e.g. all the "yo dawg, here's a random close-up of some booty" shots). That said, the drama/actual story aspect is really well done once it gets going. Even then, it might not be for you - I personally wouldn't call it a must-watch or anything - but it's definitely a show that, thankfully, has gotten better as it goes on. So much so that, as I said in another post a while back, the fact that they felt the need for needless fanservice is somewhat infuriating (at least to me lol) because everything else is good enough to carry the show without that.

Also, the animation and music and all that is largely pretty dope throughout if that's what you meant.

#3817 Edited by Aegon (7290 posts) -

@babychoochoo: Yeah, story and character-wise it wasn't doing much for me, and the design of the enemy and mechs kind of felt flat. Also, the weird obsession with Zero-two has grown more and more baffling as I don't find her design to be attractive. Ichigo on the other hand... reminds me of slightly older Cocona from Flip Flappers, which is cute.

Still, I'll probably wait and see how people feel about the show when it's over then make my decision on whether to go in again.

#3818 Posted by AlKusanagi (1580 posts) -

Yeah Darling in the Franxx is worth giving a shot. I went from "What is this garbage?!?" to being fully invested in the characters and the mystery of the world.

And only crazies like Zero-Two. Ichigo is by far best girl...

#3819 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2711 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

I think Steins;Gate 0 is making some smart choices with how it's adapting the VN. It does make me wonder how people who haven't played the Visual Novel are taking things though.

It feels like a really funky story so far. A lot of setup with no clear payoff yet. How come nobody mentioned the girl Suzuha traveled back with the first time around, for instance? What's up with Leskinen's random walking into dead ends? There are clearly some time shenanigans going on, and I dunno how they're gonna play out until the central conceit of the series is actually revealed. At this point I'm kinda expecting Maho to eat it and Leskinen and the lost girl to be the bad guys, but who even knows. (Also I'm one episode behind.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beanbandit/kenichi-sonodas-bean-bandit-new-anime-project

In other news the Riding Bean/Gunsmith Cats dude has made a kickstarter for a new OVA. He's a bit before my time, so I don't know much about his work beyond their good reputation. He also did character design on Otaku no Video and Bubblegum Crisis- but it's been over a decade since he worked on anything Wikipedia knows about.

No Caption Provided

#3820 Edited by LentFilms (981 posts) -

@redhotchilimist said:

It feels like a really funky story so far. A lot of setup with no clear payoff yet. How come nobody mentioned the girl Suzuha traveled back with the first time around, for instance?

Yeah, as someone who read the visual novel, I always thought the way that they revealed that Suzuha had actually been traveling through time with a little girl, but just never mentioned it in the previous game at all, to be a real lazy way to shoehorn another character into the story. In fact, I just don't like Kagari in general. She just feels like an unnecessary Kurisu clone when the story already has a literal Kurisu clone in Amadeus.

@redhotchilimist said:

In other news the Riding Bean/Gunsmith Cats dude has made a kickstarter for a new OVA. He's a bit before my time, so I don't know much about his work beyond their good reputation.

Reading Bean is a fun little OVA but I have never seen/read any of Gunsmith Cats. This is kind of cool news though since, if i'm not mistaken, Kenichi Sonoda has been trying to make some kind of sequel to Riding Bean for years but hasn't been able to because of rights issues. Although it sounds like the Kickstarter is planning to only produce a 5 minute piece of animation so it isn't quite a full on comeback and more like a small promotional video.

#3821 Posted by Zeik (5135 posts) -

@lentfilms: @redhotchilimist: Well Kagari wasn't involved in the Alpha worldline at all, which is where the vast majority of the original takes place, so there were few opportunities to bring it up. Beta Suzuha doesn't show up until the very end, and at that point I think you can excuse it by the fact that her mission to change the future was far more important, and would essentially make the whole Kagari situation irrelevant if they succeed anyway, since she would disappear from the present just like Suzuha.

Ultimately it's definitely a retcon, but it doesn't necessarily conflict with the original story either.

#3822 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2711 posts) -

@zeik: Right, I keep forgetting we're in a timeline that's separate from the original in ways beside Kurisu dying.

#3823 Edited by AlKusanagi (1580 posts) -

What the hell? Netflix just up up a live action version of Mob Psycho 100. I had no idea that this was a thing...

Alright, I watch the whole thing, and while the first episode was pretty bad, it actually turned into a really decent adaptation given the live action limitations. The stunt work in the fights was really impressive, and they do a lot more with Reigen, which is great.

#3824 Posted by Zeik (5135 posts) -

Oh boy, next week's Steins;Gate 0 is the one I've been anticipating. I'm ready for this show to break me all over again.

#3825 Edited by clagnaught (2003 posts) -

Now seems to be a good time for an anime check-in. For reasons, I'm watching 8 shows on rotation, which means I always have something to watch, but it takes me forever to make it through anything.

First some of the bigger updates:

• Recovery of an MMO Junkie: I finished this show of the weekend. This was a delight. One minor complaint I have is with the second MMO that was introduced towards the second half of the show. The coincidence / destiny aspect of their relationship is nice, but I'm not sure if they needed another online game with another set of fake characters to double down on that aspect. Maybe I just feel that way because it was obvious they were going to find out sooner rather than later regardless? Overall, I really liked Morioka as a character, and it was fun to watch her awkward life and romance.
  • citrus: I.....uh.....You know.....The thing is.....<sigh>....Ok, so I do like citrus, but man did I come close to pushing the eject button on this show, primarily with the the undertones early on the series; Mei and Yuzu's relationship, the stuff with the teacher, Mei's patriarchal family mess was just too many things to take in right off the bat. The show also got ridiculous in terms of how many people kept falling in love with Yuzu and/or Mei. Even when the show started to wrap up, citrus throws two white haired girls that complicate matters even further. Still, I was intrigued enough about what was happening, even if there was something that made me shake my head every two or three episodes. I'm not sure how the anime compares with the manga, so maybe some of my complaints are based on the show trying to do too much too fast. Or maybe that's just the story I signed myself up for...
  • My Hero Academia: Season 1: Finished up the first season, and I'm one episode into Season 2. I liked this show, but it didn't blow my socks off either; although it sounds like most of the praise of the show is based around Season 2. The show is getting more interesting thought, as they have introduced more characters and started to build up more dynamics. At the beginning, it felt like the entire show was based on Kacchan being a dick and more or less saying "Ha! You're such a loser! You don't have any powers Deku! WHAT?!??! NOW YOU HAVE POWERS!!! WELL NOW I HATE YOU!! I sure hope we aren't contrivedly paired together when we start school!" Right now my main interest is seeing what will happen to All Might. The way they are treating him as of late make it seem like his One For All hourglass is almost out of sand. Overall still liking the show though.

And now for some rapid fire updates:

• JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: I'm still in the middle of second arc. I met Lisa Lisa a couple of episodes ago. Lisa Lisa seems awesome.
  • Shirobako: I'm in the second half of the anime where they are started to work on the second series. I've been liking what they are doing with this show, with focusing on people's aspirations and the various issues they encounter while working on animes.
  • Samurai Champloo: Off to a good start. I hope there are more character building stories over time, like the second half of Cowboy Bebop.
  • Sound! Euphonium: I was always liking this show, but the last episode I watched, the one where Kumiko and Reina walk up the mountain during the festival, was great.
  • Persona 5: The Animation: This replaced Recovery of an MMO Junkie's slot in my anime rotation, so I'm only two episodes in. Seems alright? Feels a little too fast; at least it feels faster than Persona 4: The Animation, which I really enjoyed at the time.
  • Pop Team Epic: Marilyn Monroe.

The show that will take citrus's spot will probably be Steins;Gate 0. I just saw Zeik mention this while I was writing this; didn't realize this show started up yet.

#3826 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15404 posts) -

I decided to get back to watching some more non-current shows, and binged through Angel Beats over the last couple of days. I enjoyed it as a fun little comedy/action/drama with some heavy themes (you can tell that the lead writer of Clannad worked on it by the way it emotionally gut-punches the viewer at the end) but it's the rare anime that I think would've significantly benefited from being longer. It moves at such a blazing fast pace and has so many extraneous side characters that it certainly seems like it was intended for 24-26 episodes instead of 13. It still manages to work, but it feels like I watched a "Kai" equivalent or a series of recap movies for something that would've originally had more time for character development and world building.

But, back to seasonal funtime anime fun, Aggretsuko was about as enjoyable as the elevator pitch of "It's Office Space, but with Hello Kitty characters" implied. It's cute, charming, and lasts exactly as long as it needs to. There's also a whole lot about "Hey, being a responsible adult is hard" that felt... distressingly close to home sometimes. I watched it in English, out of curiosity, and while I think the voices for the dub work well, there's something about the animation style and overall tone that makes me inclined to recommend people watch it in Japanese.

@zeik said:

Oh boy, next week's Steins;Gate 0 is the one I've been anticipating. I'm ready for this show to break me all over again.

YUUUUPPP. Now we're getting to the crazy that I've wanted to see in animated form since I played through the visual novel. I think the two things I'm wondering about right now are how they're going to handle some of the contradictions between the two "main" branches of the VN (namely the identity of the woman in black) and if they're going to include anything from some of the less-crucial side routes (the one where Moeka and Maho become BFFs, the "bad" ending, and I guess the one with that song.)

Also, I watched the first two free episodes of the simuldub, and it immediately reminded me how much I liked the dub of the original. I'll probably end up watching it again in English once it's done airing, unless they manage to horrendously screw up the back half of the series or something.

#3827 Posted by Zeik (5135 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I do hope they find some way to work in elements of Twin Automata, since that's maybe my favorite route in the game. Might be hard though, since it's not as important to the main plot as some of the others. It just has a lot of great character moments.

#3828 Posted by Hamst3r (5438 posts) -
Avatar image for divinekataroshie
#3829 Posted by DivineKataroshie (36 posts) -

I see we have some anime fans here on bombcast forums !

if anyone has myanimelist profile, feel free to add me ! https://myanimelist.net/profile/DivineKataroshie

I recently prefer reading manga than watching anime for better consistency with authors vision, especially now when I watched most of notable anime :) But the recent seasonal ones seem very promising.

#3830 Edited by LentFilms (981 posts) -

@divinekataroshie: Hello and welcome! I've also been reading a lot of manga lately as well, almost finished Delicious in Dungeon Vol. 5 and Golden Kamui Vol. 4. What stuff are you reading and/or watching?

Also I don't have a MyAnimeList account but if anyone on the thread is interested I have a profile on Anime Planet. You can read my lists and stuff there.

#3831 Posted by AlKusanagi (1580 posts) -

One helluva info dump on Darling in the Franxx this week.

Also, GGO's new grenade loli is my spirit animal.

#3832 Edited by Zeik (5135 posts) -

Well episode 8 of Steins;Gate 0 was easily the best one yet. They did an excellent job expanding upon that scenario from the VN. It was one of the best scenes in the VN, but I think I prefer what they did here.

Even if the rest sucks for some reason this made it worth it.

#3833 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15404 posts) -

I've decided to get back on the Poor/Life Choices train after spending enough anime watching time with things I enjoy. As such, Fate/Apocrypha isn't nearly as dire or incomprehensible as I was lead to believe. It's an entirely watchable, low-rent spinoff with little of the absurd prettiness or artistry (or who knows how large of a budget) that UFOtable brought to their Fate/Zero and UBW adaptations. Do you want yet another take on the Holy Grail War that abandons its premise halfway through? They have that! Do you want okay looking anime fights between vague, bad approximations of historical, pseudo-historical, and mythological figures? They have that! Jack The Ripper is a loli for some reason, and Anime Wizard Shakespeare is the thing I never knew I wanted. There are even two budget versions of Saber between Jeanne d'Arc and Mordred (though, admittedly I think the latter and her master are probably the most fun part of Apocrypha) as if to nail in the part where it's like that other thing, but not. (EDIT: Also, holy shit does the animation take a nosedive in the last few episodes)

It's probably the most consistently middling, yet entertaining thing I've seen in a while, which at least gives it a leg up over that 2006 F/SN adaption. Though, speaking of that, I guess the dubbed version of the first Heaven's Feel movie is going to be in theaters next week... which I think I'm going to watch. Even if this whole "I want to understand what the deal is with Fate/Stay Night" endeavor ends up being a net negative, I absolutely want to see how flashy some of that nonsense will look like with a movie budget.

#3834 Posted by Sombre (146 posts) -

Hey gang!

I'm looking for some recommendations for cartoons (not anime) from the last...10-15 years? I used to watch nonstop cartoons when I was a kid, but as I got older, I kinda fell out of them. Well, I've just started playing WoW again, and bought a second monitor so I can watch some cartoons at the same time as playing.

Has anything super necessary come out in the last 10 years or so then? I've watched Adventure Time, which I loved, Steven Universe, which got totally shit, and Over The Garden Wall, which was incredible. I'm planning to watch Archer and Avatar:TLA on Netflix/Prime and I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything super necessary!

#3835 Posted by Zeik (5135 posts) -

@sombre: Regular Show is up there with Adventure Time as one of the better Cartoon Network shows of the last decade. From I've seen of the new Ducktales it seems pretty solid too, although I haven't been keeping up with it. Going back a bit farther, Spectacular Spider-Man is probably Marvel's best take on the the character, and I remember Avenger's: Earth Mightiest Heroes being quite good. (It's a shame Marvel's cartoons have plummeted in quality since.) Oh, and the last Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nickelodeon was also probably their best cartoon too.

For more adult oriented cartoons, Bob's Burgers is great, and while its fanbase seems to have soured some people on it, Rick and Morty is still a good show.

#3836 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2711 posts) -

@sombre I'd try out Gravity Falls. It's a little too kiddie for me with some of the writing, but overall I liked it a lot. I can second most of Zeik's recommendations and what you're planning to watch, too.

In anime news, Steins;Gate got me good this week. The plot's not the strongest part, it's the way I feel for these characters. I feel like I can hazard an educated guess which shapely woman could slip into that catsuit when Moeka isn't a candidate. No point in foolin' around with Daru's girl and her "ouch, my arm hurts"- I'm feeling relatively confident that it's the American scientist lady, presumably working for Leskinen.

It's a very strong anime season overall - Megalo Box is strong, Fullmetal Panic IV is as good as I remember it only with terrible CG, Hinamatsuri is still funny, Lupin remains cool and My Hero Academia is still getting one of the best adaptations out there. I don't have much new stuff to say about them, just that I'm having a lot of fun watching anime this month. They're not all classics, but they're all certainly good enough to be worth watching. Only bad show I'm watching this season is Persona 5 the Animation, which can't seem to climb its way out from under the shadow of the game the same way Persona 4 the Animation did.

No Caption Provided

#3837 Posted by Zeik (5135 posts) -

@redhotchilimist: Oh, Gravity Falls! I knew I was forgetting something important.

#3838 Posted by TheHT (15596 posts) -
#3839 Posted by liquiddragon (2856 posts) -

Oh man, Mind Game is soooo goood. I caught Lu Over the Wall recently in theaters and while it had some moments, it was a big let down.

On another note, I made this thread asking for anime recommendations from 2016/17 a while ago. I finally got around to watching Made in Abyss and I definitely see why a lot of folks suggested it. It's a really good show overall and the final episode was powerful as fuck.

I was however a bit alarmed by the way they portrayed these kids and some of the "lighthearted" scenes I came across. They made me quite uncomfortable and unfortunately, I'm conflicted about this show. I would wholeheartedly tell ppl to go watch MiA if it weren't for it's...pedo tendencies.

Did this bother any of you? It's such a stain on the show imo and it sorta kills my excitement of Made in Abyss.

#3840 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15404 posts) -

@liquiddragon: There's definitely an undercurrent of creepy loli shit in Made in Abyss that is apparently far more explicit in the manga. I'd be lying if I said knowing that didn't make me a little uncomfortable. However, I was too busy squirming at the scenes of explicit, graphic child suffering to squirm at some of the gross ways those kids are portrayed (via the camera, some of the lines, or otherwise) at least on my first viewing. I wouldn't be surprised if I was more aware of it if I ever sat down and watched Made in Abyss again, though I also think I've been a little desensitized to "creepy loli shit" thanks to Monogatari poisoning the well.

#3841 Posted by HarbinLights (179 posts) -

How is Steven Universe as the moment. I kinda fell out of keeping up once I last caught up. Which was the Jungle Moon episode.

Worth resubbing to Hulu to catch up?

#3842 Posted by liquiddragon (2856 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I've seen my fair share of anime but I guess I've managed to avoid lolicon and I felt blinded sided by the show, especially cause so many ppl recommended it. Would you say it's more common or popular with modern anime? I'm not at all up on current anime and I was wondering if the chibi-like art direction is trendy these days.

I guess I'm way more desensitized to graphic violence but they at least set the descend down the abyss to be a really dangerous endeavor and not something 12 years should be doing.

#3843 Posted by HarbinLights (179 posts) -

I've watched quite a few loli oriented anime and read quite a few loli oriented manga, as is probably not surprising at all from my avatar.

I've watched Moetan, Di Gi Charat, Yawaraka Sangokushi Tsukisase!! Ryofuko-chan, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, Strike Witches. And I've read Dance in the Vampire Bund.

But I mean no hyperbole and trolling by this when I say that I think Made in Abyss scarred me for life. Seeing innocents suffer like that makes me sick.

#3844 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15404 posts) -

@liquiddragon said:

@arbitrarywater: I've seen my fair share of anime but I guess I've managed to avoid lolicon and I felt blinded sided by the show, especially cause so many ppl recommended it. Would you say it's more common or popular with modern anime? I'm not at all up on current anime and I was wondering if the chibi-like art direction is trendy these days.

I guess I'm way more desensitized to graphic violence but they at least set the descend down the abyss to be a really dangerous endeavor and not something 12 years should be doing.

I'm pretty fresh on "modern" anime as well, and my watch habits cover a pretty broad swath of time so I might not be the most knowledgeable on how prevalent lolicon stuff is these days. I mean, there are always fanservice shows that exist for people who are into that stuff (certain parts of the "anime community" were ironically way into Eromanga Sensei for a hot minute last year) but I can only think of a few examples of creepily blatant sexualization of prepubescent girls in the stuff I've seen. I really wish it was zero. Like, the overall dark tone and sporadic violence against kids is enough that I've had to throw some caveats at people whenever I've recommended Made in Abyss to someone, but the gross undercurrent that sometimes rears its head certainly doesn't help either.

When I talk about the stuff that made me squirm, however, I'm specifically referring to the scene where Riko gets poisoned, starts bleeding from the eyes, and then asks Reg to cut her damn arm off. It's probably the most uncomfortable thing I saw in an anime last year alongside the infamous "toothbrush scene" in Nisemonogatari (though for an entirely different reason)

#3845 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2711 posts) -

Made in Abyss' specific gross element to me is what feels like guro stuff. Goku runs around without his pants several times in the OG Dragon Ball and I don't really have an issue with that. Instead it's the experience of watching what feels like Someone Else's Masturbation Material that gets under my skin. The danger of the Abyss might be written into the story, but so is the danger of the Grand Line, to put it like that. There's a fascination with doing gory things to chibi characters in Made in Abyss that's definitely not common at all. I'm not really well-versed enough in guro to pinpoint exactly where the line is being crossed. But just like how the art in Dust: An Elysian Tail had the whiff of a dude that had done some furry porn commissions about it(as opposed to like, disney art), Made in Abyss smells like this dude has drawn a couple of doujins where people get their guts torn out(as opposed to say, any other story where people get hurt). It's uncomfortable because you can feel it, even if it's justified by the setting.

It's not weird that it got recommended a ton, though. Even with the undercurrent of grossness, it's still one of the most interesting shows from last year. I've got some issues with the pacing in the anime and the artist's underlying fetish stuff is yucky, but even with that stuff it's close to my ideal adventure show. It's atmospheric, exciting and mysterious.

In unrelated news, Lupin Part 5's backgrounds keep impressing me. Seems they had the studio that just did "animation production" on the last season do the backgrounds too this time, and their work is pretty sick.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

#3846 Posted by HarbinLights (179 posts) -

I can't stand and can't take gore in media period. For people of any age or maturity level. I only wish I had been given proper warning before watching Made in Abyss. But the anime communities that told me this was a "must watch" didn't say anything, as they "didn't want to spoil it". I guess thanks to hardline anti-spoiler culture, I couldn't even get a content/gore warning on this show.

It's all the worse when it happens to innocent people like Riko, Reg, Nanachi, Mitty, and other unnamed orphans preyed upon, though. Much worse.

There does seem to be a very sadistic element that bothers me even more about all of it. Something really cruel. Honestly it disgusts me when people take a gleeful macabre and mockery of what Bondrewd did. As if being a complete monster is somehow funny.

#3847 Posted by liquiddragon (2856 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I've been trying to think why that scene didn't affect me as much as some later ones in the season and I think it's because it was caused by nature. They were basically deep in the jungle and ran into a beast. It's like if you ran into a bear and it fucked you up, that's messed up but that's kinda what bears do sometimes. I do think that scene doesn't need to be that long. They got the point across pretty fast but they stay with it like torture porn for half of the episode. The scenes that made me even more uncomfortable were ones like when Reg kills Mitty and when we saw the aftermath of Mitty's torture cause they were purely the result of human action.

@redhotchilimist: I'm not saying I'm surprised ppl recommended it, I'm saying I'm surprised they didn't come with some warning.

#3848 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15404 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I've been trying to think why that scene didn't affect me as much as some later ones in the season and I think it's because it was caused by nature. They were basically deep in the jungle and ran into a beast. It's like if you ran into a bear and it fucked you up, that's messed up but that's kinda what bears do sometimes. I do think that scene doesn't need to be that long. They got the point across pretty fast but they stay with it like torture porn for half of the episode. The scenes that made me even more uncomfortable were ones like when Reg kills Mitty and when we saw the aftermath of Mitty's torture cause they were purely the result of human action.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the scenes you describe also definitely got to me. I'm normally all for anime with a certain share of horrible suffering (I think Re:Zero is a lot of "fun" right up until the protagonist actually starts succeeding) but do that shit to a bunch of chibi looking kids and suddenly it starts edging way further away from my comfort zone. I hear the next arc of Made in Abyss has a lot more of that, so... look forward to season 2?

So I guess FLCL Progressive has started? Has anyone seen it?