#3901 Posted by GundamGuru (786 posts) -

So, uh, Darling in the Franxx is just gonna do the end of Gurren Lagann by way of End of Evangelion, huh? That makes sense given the pedigree, and I hope the final episode is either some weird, Gainax-ass trippy shit or some crazy, Trigger-ass trippy shit. That might at least ease the amount of creeping indifference I feel for a series that started off going for batshit and has since muddled its way towards a really obvious conclusion.

@bladededge: I'm betting at least 3 to 1 we spend the bulk of the last episode in metaphysics land. I think the real stretch at this point would be hoping for an ending that makes any sort of narrative sense. Once the aliens were in all hope for any kind of grounded conclusion was out the window. At this point, I'm just interested to see just how off the rails it can get.

I guess we'll find out either way on Saturday.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#3902 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -

@achillesforever: It's been so hot, I don't have the energy to be hype. I'm still looking forward to it though.

Loading Video...

There've been some leaks of the first episode they showed apart from this, but I'm trying to stay in the dark here. Now point in ruining episode 1 for when the show actually begins.

#3903 Posted by SMTDante89 (2929 posts) -

Speaking of JoJo, VIZ announced Part 4 is airing on Toonami starting August 18. Billy Kametz is voicing Josuke.

#3904 Posted by halodude442 (72 posts) -

So uh, I recently got back into watching anime, after maybe 6-8 years of not watching any. I have thoroughly enjoyed My Hero Academia, with Jojo and AOT next on my list of things to watch, I was wondering if I would enjoy Naruto? I know its like the most popular anime thing ever, or was, but I've enjoyed my fair share of Shonen.

#3905 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -

@halodude442 Hero Academia is basically Naruto with superheroes, so if you like that you should check it out. There's a bit more to it than that, but they're very much filling in the same niche for a school setting shonen in a society entirely focused around ninjas/superheroes, with the main lense being on the unfortunate underdog with a ton of hidden power and his prodigous, anti-social rival. And also with a large cast of side characters/classmates that get maybe one fight in the entire run if they're lucky. In my experience the people who used to go to cons and dress up as Naruto villains are now the same people going to cons and dressing up as Bakugou.

#3906 Posted by evanomeara (104 posts) -

Might have been mentioned earlier but anybody know where to find the GB/Crunchyroll live show. Found one but a lot of the anime was censored and had no sound

#3907 Posted by JadeShadow (2 posts) -
#3908 Posted by evanomeara (104 posts) -
#3909 Posted by Aegon (7287 posts) -

Hey guys. First episode of Cells at Work / Hataraku Saibou is out. Pretty good. Studio behind it is David Production (of Jojo fame).

Loading Video...

#3910 Posted by Justin258 (15283 posts) -

@aegon said:

Hey guys. First episode of Cells at Work / Hataraku Saibou is out. Pretty good. Studio behind it is David Production (of Jojo fame).

So it's like anime Osmosis Jones?

#3911 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -
Loading Video...

#3912 Edited by Seikenfreak (1320 posts) -

Can't remember if I've ever posted in anime-related discussions on GB but this seems an appropriate spot:

As someone who doesn't exactly seek out anime, but certainly watches some, that 30 second clip idea on the GB Anime panel is the best way for me to find stuff I might like.

There were a couple things that seemed amusing in the way that only anime can, so I sourced a few. I just binged watched Nichijou over a few days and man.. That was great. It's like weird at times but not offensively so (which I think most of these deliberately weird shows are), and I can totally understand most of it. All this over the top stuff and scenarios are the sort of things I imagine in my head. Like stubbing a toe results in a nuclear bomb-esque explosion of pain or an awkward interaction between a store clerk and myself is some apocalyptic social event.

I could ramble off a laundry list of little skits I loved from it, some even laughing out loud (henchman attempting to entertain princess), but I'll spare you. Really disappointed there doesn't seem to be more of this because it was genuinely funny and charming to me. Oh and a wonderful orchestrated soundtrack.

#3913 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15353 posts) -

@seikenfreak: If you're interested in another slice-of-life comedy show focused around the same style of quick gags, I really have to recommend Daily Lives of High School Boys. It's not as hyperkinetic or weird as Nichijou (nor does it have Nichijou's ridiculous animation budget) but it's still really funny and contains some fantastic dumb running jokes.

Oh, and I don't feel like I need to go into too much detail for this, but what a bummer Darling in the Franxx's last episode turned out to be, huh? I wanted them to go out swinging for crazy, and what I got was the dull, predictable ending I was afraid of. I've certainly seen other anime series tank at the 2/3rds mark (Robotics;Notes comes to mind) but DarliFra was well on its way to being one of my favorite anime of this year until episode 19. It's the kind of thing that makes me want to watch Little Witch Academia (or hell, even see what the deal is with Kiznaiver) to see if Studio Trigger is capable of making something that doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth by the end. Well, other than the artistic achievement that is Inferno Cop, obviously.

#3914 Posted by GundamGuru (786 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Yeah, DitF didn't go out with a bang or a wtf, but with a whimper. It's almost as if they changed their minds about the whole plot around ep 19. Were they expecting another season that didn't materialize? Was there some staff turnover? Creative disagreements? In the end, we'll never know, but this is probably the biggest whiplash I've gotten from an anime in a while. Since Eva 3.0, at least.

#3915 Posted by BladedEdge (1202 posts) -

@gundamguru: Rumor and speculation (i.e. reddit says) has it that there was disagreement between Trigger and A1. Assumption being the reason behind the 1 week delays. Also that the over-all head of the project was hard to work with.

Watching it just on its own without any of that though, to me it seems pretty clear they had another 12 episodes or whatever worth of plot they had to cram into the limited number they had left.

Like up until They take over the Grand Crevise, with an episode ending with Hiro and 02 fully united and happy and victorious! well..the pacing was ok, the character development was ok. Honestly most people tend to take the tact of "Until then at least this show was good/had promise. The issue is, that's not the last episode (or the 2nd to last). It could very well have served as the end to a 'season 1' or 'first half closer' Which is was..but it happens in what, episode 15 or 16?

Still might have been fine, if they had not taken the route they did content/plot wise in the last handful of episodes. Alas, no. I still thought it was 'alright'. Though I am sure it'll show up on a whole mess of 'worst/most disapointing" and etc lists in the future. Mostly on account of how popular it was and thus how many people will know it as an example of something that went bad.

#3916 Posted by TheRookie727 (191 posts) -

Should I see the irregular of magic highschool? I've been reading the wiki for it and sounds even more crazy than metal gear.

#3917 Edited by BabyChooChoo (6998 posts) -

@therookie727: Oh, god, absolutely! That show is so incredibly dumb and bad, but it's even more insane and I love it. It never occurred to me until now, but yeah, I think the Metal Gear comparison is apt. It's a largely serious story (with a fair amount of light-hearted fun) where a bunch of crazy shit happens and it throws up it's hands and screams "SCIENCE!"

#3918 Posted by TheRookie727 (191 posts) -

@babychoochoo: alright then, I'll put that show on my list to watch.

#3919 Posted by DocHaus (2662 posts) -

Should I see the irregular of magic highschool? I've been reading the wiki for it and sounds even more crazy than metal gear.

Did you wish that Ayn Rand was a Japanese LN author who was really into incest and hating the Chinese on the side? Then you'll love it.

#3920 Posted by InstantRyan (518 posts) -

After the first weekend and change of the new season, my favorite so far is definitely Cells at Work with Banana Fish in 2nd. Nothing else has come close to those two and most things feel like a slog to get through, especially after Spring which was almost too good.

Holmes is probably the one with the most potential of the rest I saw but I have some reservations about it. It's based off mystery novels (not LN's) which should keep some of that in check but if this a proper mystery, I'll be all in.

I long reached my limit on isekai shows but both this season are scraping the bottom of the barrel, which I thought we had already reached a while ago but here we are. 'How Not to Summon a Demon Lord' feels like it's taking the worst parts of the past 2 years of isekai shows and combining it into one but at least that Salamander looked fine. Einherjar is an isekai with the echhi tag so that probably explains what anyone should expect out of that.

The only things I'm looking forward to that hasn't aired yet is the one about the Mongol invasion and Grand Blue, which I really hope has a great adaptation because I love what I've read of the manga.

#3921 Posted by Seikenfreak (1320 posts) -

@instantryan: Question: I see you mention how the Spring was very good. I saw people saying this on Kotaku as well, I looked over their Spring list of releases and nothing jumped out at me, so what was so good? I'm out of the loop.

@arbitrarywater Thanks for the suggestion on Daily Lives of High School Boys. About 10 episodes in and it is indeed kinda similar to Nichijou. Pretty amusing. And I'm curious about you mentioning Nichijou had a ridiculous animation budget? Did it? Certain scenes seemed over the top, but that's the sort of thing I like. Other than that, the show didn't come across as big budget. I'm happy to watch shows that aren't the odd looking CG stuff that's all over Netflix these days.

#3922 Posted by InstantRyan (518 posts) -

@seikenfreak:

• Spring had fan favorites like the 3rd season of My Hero Academia and the 2nd cour of the 3rd season of Food Wars
  • The long awaited 4th season of Full Metal Panic finally arrived
  • Hinamatsuri and Golden Kamuy, which are a couple favorites from people I know who keep up with manga, had good adaptations
  • The Sword Art Online offshoot was surprisingly alright and enjoyable
  • There was more Lupin III and Hoozuki no Reitetsu which are always welcome
  • I've seen a lot more back and forth about Megalo Box after it ended than while it was airing but I really enjoyed the old school feel of it.

There are some others I haven't gotten to yet that have been well received but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. MHA S3, Hinamatsui, Golden Kamuy, and Megalo Box are probably what people will remember the most from Spring.

#3923 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -

@seikenfreak: I dunno if Nichijou had a big budget, it's just kinda what people say when something looks great? All of Kyoto Animated's shows animate amazingly and usually attempt effects shows don't normally use, and I don't think that's because they're made of money, they're just a solid and talented company with a good inhouse culture. Same for One Punch-Man.

My issue with the look of Kyoani shows is that they usually have this look that's a bit generic and moeblob-y. The Nichijou manga already has this strong, but simple style, and adding super good animation to it makes it look spectacular. I think a similar thing happened when they adapted Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid last year. The original work looks very simple, but adding the Kyoani chops to it makes it look pretty spectcaular.

#3924 Posted by Seikenfreak (1320 posts) -

Thanks for the responses. My Hero Academia is on the list of stuff I sourced after watching the panel, but based on its description, not sure if it's my thing. Won't know til I try it though! I'm generally a fan of Sword Art Online and hadn't heard of this new thing. Being an offshoot, and because everyone loves to hate on SAO, guess I didn't think much of it. Added to the list. Isn't Full Metal Panic from like.. 15 years ago? I remember watching that I think way back when. They keep yelling stuff about "Lambda drivers"? lol

#3925 Posted by BladedEdge (1202 posts) -

@seikenfreak: MHA gets better after a few epsiodes. The short arc in episodes 1-5 or so of the "I can't be a hero, oh I am but have no idea what I am doing" morphs into a better show once the ensemble class is all on the same page (ala Deku isn't fearing being kicked out, rivalries start and the story picks up). It took me giving the show a second glance, after it had finished the first arc (12-14 epsiodes in) and by then it had finally settled into what it is, X-men the anime (sort of).

As for spring, late to the party but going by just activity each show last season generated. MHA and DitF were the two largest like, dicussed series. Darling turned out...meh however. Otherwise people pretty much nailed all of the series that got a bunch of buzz as their episodes released. Not sure there is a 'these are the shows to see from spring" consensus on quality beyond "MHA remained great, DitF did not" however. To soon maybe.

#3926 Posted by DumbFounded (65 posts) -

Sooo thanks to the podcast im slowly getting back into anime after quite a while, Back when I used to watch stuff more regularly I tended to sway to stuff based on feudal japan like Samurai Deeper Kyo and the Sengoku Basara series , so could anyone point me in the direction of something along those veins from the past 5 years or so?

And second question, As someone based in the UK with no desire to faff with a VPN are there any other alternatives to streaming other than Netflix and Crunchyroll?

#3927 Posted by GundamGuru (786 posts) -

Isn't Full Metal Panic from like.. 15 years ago? I remember watching that I think way back when. They keep yelling stuff about "Lambda drivers"? lol

Yes, but it was an excellent combination of mecha show and a rom com. Fumoffu was all rom com, and TSR was pretty much all mecha. All three series are on Crunchyroll if anybody wants to catch up. I've not seen the fourth season yet.

#3928 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -

I'm still amazed FMP got a new season after like a decade. New studio, they aren't as good as Kyoto Animation was, but it's still a true sequel to that old show.

@dumbfounded: The only thing that comes to mind that I watched is Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. It's a big ol' zombie action show set in steampunk feudal Japan, with a large focus on metal trains. The plot's a bit dumb and I really hate how the final villain rolls in during the last arc and steamrolls everyone till the finale, but it's also a very good-looking and fun show.

No Caption Provided

#3929 Posted by briarpack (237 posts) -
#3930 Posted by imhungry (989 posts) -

@dumbfounded: Hyouge Mono isn't really like those shows you listed in that it's not an action anime but it's about samurai in feudal Japan so you could check it out. It's slow and dense and not for everyone but if you have interest in the time period and culture then it's worth a look because it's pretty great.

#3931 Edited by LentFilms (975 posts) -

@dumbfounded: I have not watched it myself but I heard that Onihei was suppose to be a pretty good series from last year. It is not exactly "feudal Japan" since it takes place in 1783 but it is close. The show is streaming on Amazon Prime but I don't know if the same content is available in the UK, or if you have a Prime subscription. It is a bit older but I would also highly recommend watching the movie Sword of the Stranger which is a great action movie that has some amazingly well animated sword fights. You may also be interested in an even older film called The Dagger of Kamui, which is a very stylish globe-trotting revenge story from the director of Metropolis and Galaxy Express 999. The main character eventually travels to the US and meets Mark Twain. It's a good time.

Also it might be worth checking out Funimation's streaming service or Sentai Filmworks' HIDIVE as an alternative to Netflix and Crunchyroll but again I don't know if they are available in the UK. But from what I can tell Crunchyroll and Netflix are available in the UK but they just might not have the same exact content as the US.

#3932 Edited by Seikenfreak (1320 posts) -

Finished Daily Lives of High School Boys and all of My Hero Academia up to now I guess. Only took me.. 3 days or so? /flex

I feel like I should rewatch some One-Punch Man after MHA. That show is like the perfect palette cleanser for frustration of all these dumb emo, whiny, "I'm so weak!" and then pull off some dumb move to save the day one episode later. Rinse and repeat endlessly. Give me the version of the show that just follows the adults. Something where they do cool shit, actually work together, act rationally, and follow up on their sexual desires lol Clearly the show was good enough for me to watch it but geez, why can't someone break the mold even a little bit? I think One-Punch Man is to action anime what Mad Max: Fury Road is to action movies.

And I don't care, I'll ask it: Are there any good anime that are funny or engaging but actually have adult interactions involved? Characters who live and act like real human beings? I'm not asking for hentai but like.. I feel like an old fart now; I've been there and done that so the "omg she looked at me!" is annoying. Wheres the rom-com where the man or woman actually follows through with their feelings? Is there a Daily Lives of College Boys or Girls (even though it should be shown in "High School")? Probably where all this fan-fiction junk comes from.. Frustrated people haha

Anyway, next up on the chopping block is the new Sword Art Online thing I guess.

#3933 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -

Hmmm... the first one that comes to mind for Nichijou but college aged is Osomatsu-san. It's a continuation of an old series where I believe the MCs, who are sixtuplets, used to be teens. But now, they're in their twenties, they're unemployed, and they still live at home. It's pretty fun, but I haven't watched an episode yet where anyone's fucked them, 'cause frankly who would?

Besides that there's stuff like Aggretsuko, I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, My Love Story!!, Kemonozume, Shirobako, Clannad After Story, Genshiken, Prison School and Wotakoi for stuff like adult workplace scenarios, the main character going out with someone, sexual relationships and relationships where they have kids. There's tons of shonen stuff with self-assured protags like Hunter x Hunter, Gash Bell, One Piece or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. There's shows with more realistic characters or mature emotions that aren't just archetypes, like in Mob Psycho 100(which is by the One Punch-Man dude, well worth anyone's time) and Galko-chan. And naturally stories with adults as the protags, like ol' Yuri on Ice, Megalo Box, That Rakugou Show I Forget The Name Of, Michiko & Hatchin, Monster, Inuyashiki, Kekkai Sensen and so on. Can't give up just 'cause MHA's slice of life stuff is about as basic as it gets!

I liked the room gags though
I liked the room gags though
This is way worse than Stain's aura
This is way worse than Stain's aura
#3934 Edited by Seikenfreak (1320 posts) -

@redhotchilimist: Quick response. Thanks for the info. A lot of suggestions so I tried to skim some and pick a couple that seemed interesting. I guess I should give Mob Psycho 100 another chance, a friend recommended it to me, I watched the first episode and just thought it was weird.

I was thinking about it after that post and I kept thinking about what I was trying to convey. The style of basic cable, maybe more mainstream sort of show is nice and all, certain genres work fine within those limits, but where's the HBO-tier material. The gore, sex, and good story telling. "The good stuff" as Jeff would say. I'm sure it's out there as I feel like I've seen some real F'd up, dark, action stuff in my younger days. Shigurui is something that comes to mind, even if I cant remember much about it.

#3935 Posted by Justin258 (15283 posts) -

@seikenfreak: If you're looking for gore, sex, and good storytelling, try Devilman Crybaby on Netflix. Some parts of that show might make Game of Thrones blush.

#3936 Edited by Seikenfreak (1320 posts) -

@justin258: Yeap, watched that one. Was decently good I think? Hard for me to remember but yea, that definitely fit that mold. Any combination of two of the three things listed there should be at least worth a glance to see if it'd be something I like. Edit: Actually, add comedy in there so any two: funny, gore, sex, good story. I don't care if its a mecha thing, superheroes, nerds, monsters, hentai or whatever.. as long as it's good. Show me the money!

#3937 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15353 posts) -

So Fate/Extra: Last Encore is on Netflix now, and boyyyyyy is that show just a peak combination of the most convoluted parts of both Fate and Monogatari rolled together into 10 episodes of... something alright. If you wanna see Rin Tohsaka do a signature SHAFT head-tilt while uttering sentences that don’t necessarily make sense to the human brain when put together, it’s got that! If you want trippy visuals and also provocative shots of Red Saber’s (who is an entirely different character than regular Saber) ass, it’s got that. If you want to understand what the hell is going on beyond a basic grasp of the events directly happening on the screen... not so much?

Like, I can tell the part where it’s based on a dungeon crawler, taking place in some sort of cyber hell where an AI tried to recreate the Holy Grail War and failed, but, uh, beyond that I think the entire basic premise was lost on me. And I think the last 3 episodes haven’t come out yet, because it doesn’t really end. So yeah, this “Watch all the Fate” thing is going real well for me.

#3938 Edited by Justin258 (15283 posts) -

@seikenfreak: Have you seen Parasyte? It's pretty great! Although, it does take place in a high school and has the occasional awkward high school bit, but most of that's in the beginning.

#3939 Edited by Seikenfreak (1320 posts) -

@justin258 I have not. Haven't heard of it either but.. Its now on the list! "Horror" as a genre or theme in an anime sounds interesting, but I guess a bunch of the stuff I've seen could be considered horror to more sensitive people.

Just finished SAO Alternative Gun Gale Online. A mouthful of a title. Not sure how I feel about it. First, it was fascinating to see a japanese anime interpretation of the whole battle royale shooter craze. I had no idea that's what it was going in. Makes me wonder if PUBG would be more interesting if it tried some of the stuff they do here. The show itself.. ehh I'm conflicted. The overarching story was stupid IMO. They seem to keep doing that. SAO was the only one that I thought did a decent job, probably because it didn't involve the outside world much. Also not sure why they keep doing Gun Gale Online stuff. I'd like to see something more like the original, in a fantasy game (not fairies though), or something new. I think there are a lot of ways they could explore the interesting ways people interact and function with games. The F2P "whales", escapism, or social interaction etc that they sort of vaguely touch on in these shows.

What else.. I watched first two episodes of Shirobako. Not for me. First two episodes of Osomatsu-san; first episode went from weird to weird-amusing, but the second episode lost me. Not for me. One episode of Genshiken and.. that show made me sort of.. uncomfortable or weird in a way? Haha not sure how to describe it. It's like realistic in a sad way. Like that YouTube series with the teens going to the anime convention and its like.. probably soooo accurate that I feel disturbed watching it? I don't know if I could watch more.

More stuff I want to give another shot or try for the first time: Mob Psycho 100, Tokyo Ghoul, Parasyte is now on the list.. I guess Netflix has another FATE thing out? And what @arbitrarywater said about it sounds like how I felt about the last couple. Guess I should try that since I've seen most of the others. The Irregular at Magic High School because someone mentioned it earlier and I was intrigued. There were one or two things on Netflix that I watched an episode or two of but just didn't continue for whatever reason. Can't remember what they were.

#3940 Posted by TheRookie727 (191 posts) -

So finishing up the irregular at magic highschool, man what a dumb show it is definitely a guilty pleasure though. Animation quality is pretty good, sister was annoying though holy crap.

#3941 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -

@seikenfreak said:
One episode of Genshiken and.. that show made me sort of.. uncomfortable or weird in a way? Haha not sure how to describe it. It's like realistic in a sad way. Like that YouTube series with the teens going to the anime convention and its like.. probably soooo accurate that I feel disturbed watching it? I don't know if I could watch more.

That was quick, you got on all of those in a flash. My favorite part of Genshiken is how relatable it is. It's not like everything that happens there is accurate to my experiences or anything, there's still a layer of drama and fantasy, but the grounding is very true to life in my experience. Definitely Embarrassing Anime Nerds the show.

I took a break from anime for a week or two and barely watched anything, until I caught up on some stuff yesterday and today. Lupin is still Lupin, and I don't have much more to add to that. It's still really fun, in a Castle of Cagliostro But TV Animation kinda way.

Hinamatsuri is stellar. Their brand of comedy is really charming, and I haven't seen an anime that does it before. There's this mix of earnest, sad, real life circumstances and tiny kids in way over their head, who get treated way more grown up than they should. Some episodes that's sad, some episodes that's funny, and sometimes it's hard to tell. There's one episode where one of the girls, who is being blackmailed to work as a barkeep because she's so good at it despite being like 12, is discovered by her mother. She doesn't even believe her when she comes clean, so instead her blackmailer tells her to run away and traps her with a contract on an expensive penthouse apartment, forcing the kid to take on part-time odd jobs for extra cash. She uses her contacts from the bar, and with desperate enthusiasm every boss she has starts to respect her. Her blackmailer tells her to throw a housewarming party, so the kid invites her mother, hoping she'll blow her cover and take 'em to court for her treatment. But her mother is blown away by all the bosses who want the kid to come work for them full time, and just congratulates her. That's amazing. I couldn't decide between laughing or crying.

I decided to take a look at I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, since I mentioned it to seikenfreak and it's like an hour long or something in total. It's alright! It's nice to just have a cozy little husband and wife comedy show. But it's as badly animated as all of these short shows are, and since it's the same author it's got the same issue Maid Dragon had where some of the characters are straight up gross with their weird nerdy sexuality. The husband's brother has this thing going on where he dresses up as a chick, which is fair enough, maybe he(she?) is trans or doing some crossdressing or something, right? But then he strips at inopportune moments and wants to do it with his brother, as sort of an extension of the yaoi comics he draws. It's like an outlandish, nutty version of Hato from Genshiken 2, and I don't get it. Apart from that character, I like the cast, and it's fun enough for an hour of husband/wife gags and slight drama. There's an actually well animated and differently drawn flashback episode about how desperate and left behind the wife felt when she was single, which was very relatable.

I watched the first episode of Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san, out of a complete lack of self-preservation instinct. It's an aggressively generic harem thing where one of the girls is a ghost and the protagonist is an exorcist. It's just so bland. Music is bad, character design is bad, the jokes aren't landing, animation is largely bad, there's just nothing here to recommend. The animation of the water splashing around was good though.

I'm still watching My Hero Academia, and my issues with it are the same as ever. Top of the list, turning an exciting vigilante-driven genre into a show where you need government approval to get your new suit processed by the design company. Gimme a break! At least in One Punch-Man the pointless celebrity stuff and rank chasing and bureaucracy of the hero organization is there to show that they're all dumbasses while Saitama is the real deal. In MHA, the only ones opposing it are villains. I look forward to when we get back to the big emotional moments, but honestly I'm not sure if there's one on the plate for the rest of this season. I think we already have our quota.
I don't hate MHA or anything, but fuck, man. Once in a while the things that annoy me about it really come to the forefront.

MHA pulling a similar joke to the ghost boobs show this week didn't help. Least it's got some personality in its drawings, compared to what the ghost show does.
MHA pulling a similar joke to the ghost boobs show this week didn't help. Least it's got some personality in its drawings, compared to what the ghost show does.

#3942 Posted by imhungry (989 posts) -

Fairly happy to report that the comedic timing and fantastic art of Grand Blue has made a decent enough transition to anime in the 1st episode. The pacing and timing suffers slightly but overall seems like a fine adaptation which I am very excited for. I forgot how ridiculously cookie-cutter the initial set-up for the show is, almost to a deceitful level considering how off the rails it quickly becomes. If you're interested in a purely dumb comedy, definitely check this one out.

#3943 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -
@imhungry said:

Fairly happy to report that the comedic timing and fantastic art of Grand Blue has made a decent enough transition to anime in the 1st episode. The pacing and timing suffers slightly but overall seems like a fine adaptation which I am very excited for. I forgot how ridiculously cookie-cutter the initial set-up for the show is, almost to a deceitful level considering how off the rails it quickly becomes. If you're interested in a purely dumb comedy, definitely check this one out.

Thanks for the recommendation, that first episode was funny. It started out and I was afraid it was gonna be this generic thing again(largely thanks to everyone's bad hair), but then I kept watching and it got better and better. I can appreciate a show where everyone spends half the first episode naked and dead drunk.

#3944 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15353 posts) -

@redhotchilimist: My Hero Academia's whole focus on the superheroes being government-regulated entities comes off very Japanese in its sensibilities. Given how a lot of popular western comic book stories are based around suspicion of that kind of authority, it's always stuck out, though I don't think it bugs me as much as it does you.

In regards to this current hot season, the only new show I've checked out is Chio's School Road. The first episode wasn't especially stellar, but the second one set up an Always Sunny/Konosuba-esque dynamic of dumb misunderstandings and people being horrible to each other that I could see myself sticking with.

#3945 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2659 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: It's even weirder to me 'cause not only is it unusual in superhero comics, it's unusual in shonen fighting in general. The only other one that's remotely similar and I can think of is Naruto, and I never felt like those characters got bogged down in paperwork. It's clearly important to the author's vision that this new hero society is analogous to our old society, and that's why all the villains are small-time criminals, the mob, terrorists, one-man nutters and vigilantes out on revenge against the world and dropouts who feel like they lack a place in the community. That's why all the heroes are celebrity cops(or firefighters etc), too. I dunno why this particular vision of superheroes(or shonen heroes) gets under my skin so much, but it definitely does.

I gave Chio's school road a shot, and it was pretty funny! I thought it looked kinda bad though. Ended up checking out the manga after the first to episodes, and it's a pretty big difference, in my eyes. Those awesome, energetic drawings with all the speedlines and dark shadows get lost in the translation, so even though it seems very faithful, basically a frame by frame adaptation, I'm probably gonna read this one instead of watching. I love the art in it and feel like it makes it way better. But also who knows, anime is more social, so maybe I'll end up watching it, too.

#3946 Posted by DocHaus (2662 posts) -

Went into Grand Blue blind, it was hilarious. It appears to be a show about diving, just like D-Frag! was a show about game developers.

#3947 Posted by DoubleCakes (22 posts) -

I've been slowly getting through Attack On Titan. I fascinated by this show and think about it a lot but I'm not sure I like it. It might not be a show you can 'like'. It's such an abrasive experience even if it's captivating.

I also checked out Voltron: Legendary Defender after hearing nothing but overwhelming praise about it since its debut. Even if you hadn't told me this was from the same people that did Avatar: The Last Airbender I would have figured that out pretty quick. Not only is the animation done in the same aesthetic, the direction and style are similar. It's been years since I saw Last Airbender so I try to make too many comparisons. Regardless I am about halfway done S1 and already it's gotten it's hooks into me. I'm sure there have been shows like it, but Voltron is interesting for being a Western take on mecha/space opera. Apparently it's only gets better so I'm happy to have a real quality show to binge.

#3948 Edited by GundamGuru (786 posts) -
@arbitrarywater said:

So yeah, this “Watch all the Fate” thing is going real well for me.

Let me know when you get to Kaleid liner, because...hoo boy...

No Caption Provided

#3949 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15353 posts) -

@gundamguru: I actually watched the first episode of Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya a couple months ago. A large chunk of its 22 minute runtime had the (elementary school-aged) protagonist hanging out in the bath while being creeped on by a sentient magic wand, which it turned out was actually the line for me to say “I don’t know if I need to watch this.” Not Fate/Stay Night (2006)’s general badness, or Apocrypha’s aggressive mediocrity (I actually kinda enjoyed Apocrypha,) or Extra’s complete inscrutability, so it’s at least nice to know I’m still capable of stopping myself at loli-bait.

#3950 Edited by GundamGuru (786 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: The first episode is downright tame compared to season three (after Kuro shows up). My morbid curiosity and hearing the Kalied Liner movie is surprisingly good (and that Illya’a not the protag) has kept me powering through. It’s about 70/30 plot to fan-disservice. For people who’ve played Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, the regular plot is kinda neat. Season 1’s definitely the worst, plot-wise.