#4051 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

Is anyone using Crunchyroll premium around these parts? I’m looking for a more legit way to watch anime, and CR seems like there’s a lot of good looking stuff on there. Is it worth the fiver a month?

And for those of you that do use it, what would you recommend on there? The choice is a little overwhelming

#4052 Edited by LentFilms (1054 posts) -

@sombre: I have CR Premium and I would say it is worth it. They get a lot of great shows almost every season and there is a healthy back catalogue of stuff to watch including a lot of Funimation's shows. What kind of recommendations are you looking for? Do you want an action series, a movie, or something else? Do you want something more recent or an older series? Just looking at your avatar I'm guessing you are an old-school sci-fi fan. If that is the case I would recommend the remake of Star Blazers, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, if you have not seen it already.

#4053 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

Thanks for the rec! Think I’ll at least try a month. Might be good getting into new anime too. I pretty much exclusively watch 90s anime at the moment. Megalobox and Franxxx look good.

#4054 Edited by Hamst3r (5464 posts) -

@sombre: I've been subscribed for a while and definitely find it worth it. Particularly for highly popular shows (Naruto, One Piece) and currently airing shows.

As for recommendations, some of my favorites on Crunchyroll:

They've also got a few older titles like Akira and Galaxy Express 999, as well as the fantastically dumb Ghost Stories dub. There's quite a breadth of content, but it's got the same problem that any service like this has, which is if you're looking for something specific you're going to find the extents of the system pretty quick. Like, no Evangelion and no Monster. They've got the 2016 Berserk but not the 1997 one, the second season of Mushi-shi but not the first, the remake of Legend of the Galactic Heroes but not the original, and only the third season of Hajime no Ippo. It can feel bothersomely incomplete, but that's every service like this.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#4055 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -

@sombre I'd recommend looking at titles available in your territory, at least if you're not from the US. As a European there's a bunch of stuff on their service I can't actually watch there because of licensing issues.

@hamst3r said:

Battle Angel Alita - Manga - wasn't expecting this to turn into a Rollerball manga right after where the OVA ends. I'm on volume 6 now and it continues to be an enjoyable read, despite a lot of the characters feeling like one-track-mind idiots. "I've decided to eat my own foot and you can't stop me!"

Volume 6 of Battle Angel Alita is the volume I read and just went "This is what they should turn into a movie". It's a really fun one-volume arc!

#4056 Posted by Justin258 (15485 posts) -

@redhotchilimist: I don't know if you know this but James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez and some other famous people are working on a Battle Angel Alita movie. I'll probably wind up watching that thing someday, even if I'm not sure if it looks entertaining or just cringe-y.

#4057 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -

@justin258: I've heard those news, yep. Seems like they're trying to cover the first two arcs, just about. I think volume 6 has a really low shot at becoming an actual movie, since it's so far into the manga and Cameron spends like a decade making one of these movies, but I hope they eventually get there. Especially post Mad Max Fury Road, It's very easy to read that volume and imagine it as a solid, postapocalyptic desert action movie. It stands delightfully on its own, too, since nobody from the first five books besides Alita really make an appearance.

#4058 Posted by LentFilms (1054 posts) -

@sombre: If you like 90s stuff than may I also suggest Blood Blockade Battlefront, a series based off a manga by the creator of Trigun, and Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, an action-adventure fantasy series. The shows not are really rooted in the 90s but are reminiscent in style to stuff from the 90s. For an actual old-school recommendation I would suggest checking out something like Robot Carnival, an anthology film from the 80s.

Also yeah Megalobox is real good.

#4059 Edited by Sombre (221 posts) -

First five episodes of Ping Pong=totally sick. I kinda love the...gross (?) artstyle. It looks amazing. The characters are fun, the music is good, and it's an all in all likeable show.

Only downside I have with Crunchyroll Premium (Only £5 a month, insane value) is the licensing issues in EU/UK. One Piece isn't watchable in the UK, and I really wanted to watch that on my big TV. DIssapointing, but the rest of CR is super cool

Also, when I was a kid, my favourite show was Dragonball Z. I watched the entire thing and really liked it. Can I just jump straight into DB Super and pick it up?

#4060 Edited by Hamst3r (5464 posts) -

Berserk 2017 - 09 - Every version of Berserk has a different pronunciation of Behelit and it's buttsville. A Bay-lit, no, a Bay-e-lit, no, a Be-hell-it.

@sombre: RE: DB Super, yeah, I'd say so! Also, as for what's available in the EU/UK, check out because.moe, where you can search for specific shows, to see what site has them, or do a search like this: https://because.moe/uk?q=crunchyroll to specifically single out Crunchyroll or another service. One Piece is unfortunately just not available anywhere for ya, but perhaps it'll be useful in seeking out other shows.

#4062 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I've finished reading Tsurezure Children, which got an adaptation last year. Better to just read it and be done than wait forever for another season, although reading it is a bit more difficult than watching. Most of these characters have the same face, body type and uniform, and there's only so many haircuts to go around, so in a black and white manga that gets occasionally confusing. Still, Tsurezure wasn't so lavishly animated that going to the manga was a big downgrade, and the important part is seeing everyone's stories conclude. Motoyama remains the world's best friend and wingman, * Love * Master * is very funny to me, Akagi and Kaji are an amazing couple, and Sugawara and Takano's budding romance tugs at all my heartstrings.

Also watched some episodes of Asobi Asobase since you all liked it. I think the animation on the characters is pretty stellar, there's some very fun and energetic stuff going on with Hanako in particular. Not all of the humor is landing as hard for me though, especially once we enter absurd butt laser territory. It miiight be the best gag anime this summer out of Grand Blue, Chio's School Road and this, but it's also not nailing me anywhere near as hard as say, a Nozaki-kun or a Prison School. And I definitely prefer the Chio's School Road manga to all three. So I dunno. It's still pretty good though.

#4063 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

Ping Pong- Absolutely terrific. The bizarre artstyle really made it unique, and I never though I'd enjoy a sports anime, but hey, here we are. Gonna check out the live action movie some point this week too.

Persona 4: The Golden Animation- If you're a big time P4 fan like I am, then you'll really enjoy "The Golden". I presume it's all the added scenes from the Vita remake, but I never finished that version, so this is super good. WARNING: If you wasted your youth like me, this may bum you out to see a group of super friends having a good time

#4064 Edited by mezmero (3683 posts) -

Gintama is making me cry. Both from the laughter at how absurd the dynamics of the final battle kept getting and from the sadness of knowing so many character arcs are coming to an end. I've been rewatching Gintama OPs just because and one thing that's apparent pretty early on is that this show has a knack for introducing way Too Many Cooks. However it brings damn near every one of them back to play some role for the Final Arc and it's been spectacular for a long time fan like myself.

I finished Gravity Falls and that's a terrific cartoon. I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that it only has two seasons. On one hand it could've easily stretched out for a season or two more, on the other hand it might be a blessing that it doesn't go on to get bogged down by its own continuity like even some of the best cartoons in this vein of low key world building. That it's so finite makes it far easier to recommend people than many of this show's contemporaries. It might be the best piece of media centered around twins that I've ever experienced.

I watched part 1 of Disenchantment. I liked it for what it was though it didn't blow me away. It can't be understated that it is EXTREMELY Groening, so if you're not down for that brand of random comedy then it may not be for you. It is kind of interesting to think he's producing something that deals in presumably long term story telling. It is very flippant with it's use of high fantasy cliches but it seems like it's mainly taking digs at Game of Thrones. I mean it's basically about a version of Daenerys that's just a total screw up as opposed to being a Mary Sue.

#4065 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7077 posts) -

Hero Academia 196 -

Welp, apparently Horikoshi feels different because I was way off on that Kirishima read lol because he didn't get to do a goddamn thing. Disappointing, but as least Class B is putting on one hell of a good show. It's great to see them in action again, especially the ones who haven't got much if any screen time before.

#4066 Posted by JesusHammer (911 posts) -

Banana Fish is absolutely destroying me. Why do all these good boys have to suffer so much?

#4067 Posted by Hamst3r (5464 posts) -

Knowing that Adventure Time is actually ending tomorrow certainly rejuvenates my interest. Time to pick it back up!

Loading Video...

#4068 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -

@sombre said:

Ping Pong- Absolutely terrific. The bizarre artstyle really made it unique, and I never though I'd enjoy a sports anime, but hey, here we are. Gonna check out the live action movie some point this week too.

Persona 4: The Golden Animation- If you're a big time P4 fan like I am, then you'll really enjoy "The Golden". I presume it's all the added scenes from the Vita remake, but I never finished that version, so this is super good. WARNING: If you wasted your youth like me, this may bum you out to see a group of super friends having a good time

Lol ain't that the truth. I Liked what they did with the villain in Golden. He's kinda uncercooked in both the game and the anime - you can kinda guess how he ended up the way he was, but they don't show it. In Golden they make his frustration and loneliness very evident, and portray it in ways I think are pretty cool. Then he and Yu have a heartfealt duel with an awesome new song. It's good stuff.

Ping Pong is super good. Only complaint I had was I got tired of the hero metaphor that they kept bringing out a thousand times. Besides that, I loved the whole thing.

@mezmero said:

I finished Gravity Falls and that's a terrific cartoon. I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that it only has two seasons. On one hand it could've easily stretched out for a season or two more, on the other hand it might be a blessing that it doesn't go on to get bogged down by its own continuity like even some of the best cartoons in this vein of low key world building. That it's so finite makes it far easier to recommend people than many of this show's contemporaries. It might be the best piece of media centered around twins that I've ever experienced.

I'm not a big cartoon guy, but I adored Gravity Falls. At the end I was nearly as sad as I was when Persona 4 ended. Better to go out on top than fade into obscurity, though.

#4069 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

Shirobako- I see what they were trying to do, but fuck me was it boring. I watched the first 4 episodes this morning, and just turned it off. It's JUST close enough to SOL that it made me want to not bother.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure- Awesome. First 5 episodes today and I'm already hooked. I do worry about it getting a little bit silly as it gets on, with all the stand stuff, but I'm eager to watch. The first 2 seasons look grounded somewhat. I love Dio

#4070 Posted by Hamst3r (5464 posts) -

Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 - The original one. Finally watched it and didn't like it much. It was okay, but I wouldn't call it good. I don't think Brotherhood is great either, but I think it's better than 2003. FMA 2003 is hilarious though. Not for it's intentional comedy bits, but for the dialogue and motivations of the characters. Some of the stuff that happened was so illogical it had me cracking up. Some of the shit they'd say. Jesus. I did enjoy the second half of the show though, even with it being a real rollercoaster of, "Finally, gettin' good! No, nevermind. Oh wait, we're back on track! Spoke too soon."

But hey, at least it was better than Gantz season 2! Holy shit. Is Gantz literally just people incapable of making decisions yelling at each other? The monsters are incredibly patient. Basically: You do it, no you do it, no you, fine I'll do it, okay do it, I thought you were doing it, no you were doing it, you have to do this, would somebody just do it already, I can't do it, you have to do it, we can do it, no don't i'm doing it, then do it, get back I'll do this, wait don't do this. It's exhaustingly repetitive. The second half added a, "don't hurt him, he's just a boy!" to the mix, and the "stupid bitch won't gobble my bone" inner monologuing seemed to decrease as the show went on...so there's that, at least.

Oh and, I'm reading the Crying Freeman manga, and it's very silly. In a good way, mostly. I want a big budget hollywood adaptation of this with just constant nudity. Completely faithful to the manga, where people rip their clothes off at the drop of a hat. Gotta make sure your enemy sees your sick full body tattoo before you kill them with the knife you're holding between your toes.

#4071 Posted by jewunit (1148 posts) -

I watched Serial Experiments Lain for the first time in a decade. It has held up even though many of its ideas are well-worn now. Beyond ideas, some of the series' psychedelic art brought to mind shows like Puella Madoka Magica. Twenty years later, it is still worth a watch.

#4072 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

Adventure Time Finale- 4/5. Kind of underwhelming but I liked the kiss

#4073 Posted by DocHaus (2712 posts) -

Double Decker! Doug & Kirill Ep1: Imagine Tiger & Bunny but with a splash of JoJo and set in what appears to be not-Liverpool. Not sure if this is supposed to be funny and bad or amazing and bad.

#4074 Edited by Puchiko (792 posts) -

*Edit* Looks like they have been doing Anime for a while now and I just noticed it because it was a show I actually watched.

Just an FYI, looks like Dan and Bianca doing Anime on Panning the Stream now...

#4075 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

JJBA has been blowing my nips off. I'm SO INTO IT. I've just watched up to the part where Jojo dies, and I was very sad. I am a little concerned that the show looks like it gets a bit too silly as it goes on though. I liked the first bit, because it was pretty realistic, all things considered. From what I've seen of the later episodes, it's all stands and garish designs. I hope I'm proven wrong.

All I'm thinking about at work is how much I wish I was watching JJBA. Also that END THEME GODDAMN

#4076 Edited by Hamst3r (5464 posts) -

@sombre: Sounds like we might be in the same camp about JJBA. I really liked the Phantom Blood arc too, absolutely my sort of thing in tone. As for your concerns, the series does get sillier as it goes along, and it does become all stands; but the core of absurd things taken very seriously and the general air of menace the encounters have remains. There's also plenty of good stuff in the later installments, to be clear, so keep watching. But know that you'll be told you're wrong, and that Phantom Blood was trash, and that stands are the greatest innovation to the series. :P

edit:

Oh yeah, forgot why I came into this thread in the first place:

One Piece - episode 368 - nearing the end of Thriller Bark, and it's good! One Piece remains enjoyable and intriguing.

20th Century Boys - chapter 3 - So far I'd say this reads like a movie, which is also how I felt about Akira. That is, it flows well and just feels very filmic in framing and structure. I mean, such a thing seems like it would be hard to avoid, since films and TV are such a big part of pop culture, but several of the manga I've read lately I would say definitely don't have this filmic quality to them.

#4077 Posted by FacelessVixen (2431 posts) -

@lentfilms said:

@facelessvixen: How many Ghibli films have you seen? Not trying to be a jerk, just genuinely curious. Also your previous posts made me think you may enjoy reading Mike Toole's list of "The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time" which lists one hundred anime movies that are often ignored/forgotten by fans and critics (specifically it is listing movies that are not mentioned in Paste's 100 best anime films list). Anyway the list is in four parts and you can read them here: 1, 2, 3 and 4.

As I told Liquid, I'm a contrarian. The more that people talk about how great something is, especially over the course of about ten years, the less likely I am to watch it, especially now since I stooped caring about keeping up with anime since 2014. So no real disrespect to Studio Ghibli fans, but if I really cared that much about Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, I would have watched them between when I started caring about anime in the mid 2000's and now. I mean, the door for my plan to watch list is still open on the off chance I'll feel like watching something, but the motivation really hasn't been there in years, and I'm at the point where I'm perfectly fine with occasionally buying my favorites on DVD and Blu-ray since a Crunchyroll subscription would be completely wasted on me.

...Also, it's kinda hard to find new shows that feature scantily clad girls that beat the shit out of each other that aren't harems.

#4078 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Decided to watch Kick-Heart tonight, since it's like ten minutes long. It's Masaaki Yuasa's old kickstarter project, from back in 2013. I thiiink I backed it, but frankly I forget. I thought it was pretty fun. The story is just this wacky, horny romance between a sadistic pro wrestler(Lady S) and a masochistic pro wrestler(Masked Man M). A poor orphanage is involved. It's a fun little thing just to watch for Yuasa's weird animations. Feels hard to pass judgment on it, 'cause it's great for what it is, but it's also this very slight short thing. Gotta say, way more into this style than I was into how Devilman Crybaby looked.

I also read all of So I'm a Spider, So What?, another damn isekai thing which is supposed to get an anime adaptation at some point. It's the most like... definitive difference between manga and comics I've seen. I feel like it was Scott McCloud that said western comics told what had just happened, while manga tells what's happening? This manga is just this story of a chick being reborn in the body of a spider, trapped inside some colossal underground labyrinth filled with monsters, now struggling to survive against the other monsters. If you just told the story of what happened, it'd be over in a chapter. She struggles against enemy monsters, finds tactics that works, levels up, gains new abilities, and struggles against stronger monsters. What makes it engaging is the storytelling that covers every second of her struggles, which makes it feel like you're playing a game yourself. It wouldn't work without the typical manga habit of covering every step, every movement. I might not call it great, exactly, but it's definitely engaging, in a moment to moment underdog survival kinda way. I dunno if an anime is gonna be comprehensible, though. The only speaking voice is her inner monologue and a stat screen that gets increasingly busy.

Besides that, I've been watching the same usual and don't feel like I have much to add(Planet With and High Score Girl remain the best shows this season. Odd year so far, I've seen a lot of meeeh shows, but Aggretsuko, Hinamatsuri, Megalo Box and these two are stellar, with Lupin just behind them. Despite my impression that it's been kind of a slow year, I've seen a number of great shows).

Just wanted to give a shoutout to my brother who watched all of One Piece in just a few weeks. Dude's a hero.

Guess I gotta get in the first five Buu season episodes tomorrow, before All Systems Goku starts up again? Feel like they mentioned monday was the day.

#4079 Posted by Aegon (7296 posts) -

Just wanted to give a shoutout to my brother who watched all of One Piece in just a few weeks. Dude's a hero.

Sounds like a nightmare.

#4080 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15533 posts) -
@redhotchilimist said:

Did he follow one of those filler guides or watch one of those re-edits that cuts down on padding? If not, that'sa lot of One Piece. That's almost 20 years worth of it, in fact. I thought I was going off the deep end for watching almost all of Gintama over the course of a couple months last year, but doing something similar with One Piece is a far more, uh, impressive(?) feat.

So after being pretty underwhelmed by the summer season and kinda not watching a ton of stuff in the last month beyond Asobi Asobase (I've even fallen behind on My Hero Academia and Steins;Gate) I'm thinking it's time to get back on the train and start watching some of those degenerate Japanese cartoons again in a binge-able, non-weekly, non-zeitgeist format. That way, if I ever get excited about something and then it goes bad, I can experience that disappointment quickly instead of dragging it out for like 5 weeks (thanks, Darling in the Franxx) So I'm thinking maybe I should finally suck it up and get through the Phantom Blood arc of JoJo so I can get to the rest of the insanity? I've also been looking at Durarara and Little Witch Academia.

#4081 Posted by AlKusanagi (1616 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Little Witch Acadamia is pretty good. It transitions from slice of life comedy to action/adventure really well.

#4082 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I didn't question him hard enough at our family gathering, 'cause I dunno what kinda dark magic he used. Might have skipped fillers, might have put on two episodes at once on different screens, might always have had them running in the background. I couldn't say.

#4083 Edited by Puchiko (792 posts) -

OMG the ending to Island was so convoluted....

Why send just one person back in time when everyone can just go? Also finding out your daughter has been trying to bang you this whole time and your wife from the future is now 20+ years older while you're still a teenager is just wierd.

#4084 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

I'm starting a new anime regiment from today.

-2 episodes of Jojo's per day

-2 episodes of a random show. My first one is "Umaru! Himouto Chan"

I'm gonna watch 2 of each every day to force myself to get through some shows

#4085 Posted by Hamst3r (5464 posts) -

One Piece - 384 - Just watched the Spa Island filler. I quite like the current art style overall, but there are a few parts where it shifts into a softer, rounder, *cute* look and I like that style in particular. Bits of Thriller Bark had it, and Spa Island was mostly that look I think, or closer to it at least. Spa Island also had a lot of good animation going on, like noticeably more motion-filled and interesting than Thriller Bark, and it looked great!

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
#4086 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (55 posts) -

I've been finally getting around to Lupin the 3rd Part V and I just made it past the throwback to Part III I thought Part IV was great but this new season is just blowing it away.

#4087 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -

@not_a_bumblebee: This season has been very cool. Just watched the final episode. I don't get many of the older references since all I've seen of Lupin before is part 4, Castle of Cagliostro and that Conan crossover movie. And as a whole season, I kinda feel like it could be viewed as setup for another one - I'm pretty darn sure there will be a part 6. It's a little bit of a meta season too, what with unchanging old thieves out of place in everchanging modern times and all. However, it's just as strong as last season, and there's some compelling themes running through it this time around. In particular, I like the focus Lupin's crew and their relationships. The episodes mimicking styles of seasons long past, the dives into Lupin's past and Fujiko and Lupin's relationship... It's good stuff. Even without a long history with the characters, it works for me. It feels like a sequel season, for good and ill, and I'm not sure if I prefer this season or the perfect jumping-on point that was part 4. The finale was excellent though. I'm not gonna spoil anything, natch, but I was very pleased.

I really adore this take on Lupin and wish more people watched it. It's cool. There's no reason I should see fewer people talking about Lupin than Hero Academia, or Devilman Crybaby, or any other popular show this year. I've seen more people talk about Grand Blue. It's nuts.

#4088 Posted by Zeik (5171 posts) -

Finally caught up with Attack on Titan. A little quicker than I expected, actually, as I did not realize season 2 was only 12 episodes. I'm glad I waited, given how long it took to come out I probably would have been pretty disappointed. Especially since it kinda just felt like an addendum to season 1. I liked what they did with Ymir, but not a lot happened to move the plot forward meaningfully.

Season 3 has been great so far however. Moving the plot away from the titans for awhile really benefited the show. And there's been some satisfying character development going on with characters like Levi (he finally feels like he deserves all the hype he gets) and Historia. Who was a super throw away character until this season (I was almost certain she was going to be titan chow), but has become one of the best characters on the show.

Assuming the rest of the season can keep this up, I'm glad I gave the show another chance.

#4089 Posted by InstantRyan (524 posts) -

Looking ahead to Fall as this season's show are slowly ending one after another, it's the smallest amount of shows I'm excited about going into a season in a while. Besides Golden Kamuy and I guess JoJo (I've been binging through it to catch up in time of Pt. 5 and that's a whole separate post I could make about my thoughts on that show), the majority of the sequels are either things I dislike or have dropped previous seasons already so that's a wasteland for me. There's like 4 sports show at least so at least I get my fill of that and there's a few new properties that I've heard positive things about. All this hopefully means I can start my watch/rewatch through Gundam that I've been wanting to do for a few years now.

@puchiko: Island felt like a convoluted mess after the first few episodes but boy did that last episode just make the rest of that show even worse than it already wa

#4090 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

Himouto! Umaru-Chan: Very cute and charming little show. I've come to enjoy sitting down and just chilling out to this super mellow show. I like all the characters, especially Sylphie. It's a throwback to the CGDCT stuff I used to watch as a teen, but easier to watch. Would highly recommend if you want something easy to watch

Jojo (Episodes 10-21): Just awesome stuff. The artstyle and the animation are fantastic, aswell as the awesome story. It's a little silly with all the projectile/hamon stuff, especially compared to Part 1 which felt relatively grounded. But this isn't a complaint, as it's been fun to just sit and watch. I can't even imagine how insane it gets when Dio returns and all the "Stand" stuff gets introduced. I can't even begin to fathom how/why it happens, but I'm eager to see more. Something I will say about JJBA so far is that everytime I finish my 2 episodes for the day, I'm eager to sit down and watch more. I guess this is a good sign, but I'm trying to limit myself to 2 a day just so I don't absolutely fly through it

#4091 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -

Planet With is done, and it was an awesome show. I'm considering writing my first anime blog on here just to sing its praises for a bit.

No Caption Provided

Started watching Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan to fill the gap. First episode was excellent. Dunno if that's gonna last, but it was at the very least a big pleasure for those first 20 minutes. The difference in plain qualitybetween this and something like Grand Blue, which I also watched some episodes of this week, is astounding.

@sombre: Joseph Joestar is such a fun protagonist that Part 2 of Jojo might be my favorite. I still regularly watch the last five minutes of the final battle, so you've got something to look forward to.

#4092 Posted by Sombre (221 posts) -

@sombre: Joseph Joestar is such a fun protagonist that Part 2 of Jojo might be my favorite. I still regularly watch the last five minutes of the final battle, so you've got something to look forward to.

I can't decide yet. I like Part 1 a LOT, because I like Jonathan and Dio, but I like 2 a lot. I'm a little less invested now that Caesar died, but I'll keep going because I like the ending theme so much :D

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
#4093 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (55 posts) -

Can anyone recommend me some good horror anime? I watched the Junji Ito Collection and it's kinda bad. His work does not translate well to an animated format save for a few segments that are still creepy af. I only kept watching it because that theme song by The Pinballs is pretty killer. I also tried to watch Van Helsing Ultimate but I couldn't get into it. I guess I was expecting more Vampire Hunter D and less whatever that was.

I'm looking more for messed up horror like along the lines of Devilman Crybaby or Paranoia Agent. I won't rule out horror/action but it's not my preference as I enjoy Attack on Titan and Castlevania.

#4094 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2841 posts) -

@not_a_bumblebee: I'm not super well-versed in horror anime, but I'd recommend the old Devilman OVAs. Watched those two earlier this year 'cause Crybaby was coming out, and they're quite cool. There's one covering the early bit where he becomes Devilman and one covering the turtle demon and Sirene. Besides the basics of the plot, they are hugely different, and the OVAs are really beautifully animated and grounded.

#4095 Edited by Puchiko (792 posts) -

Hanebado is really breaking my heart. I really love Hanaseki but turning her into the villain ruined it for me. They spend most of the season making you feel sorry for her but then the latter half of the season show how bad a person she really is deep down. Her mom's reason for leaving her are the worst and the "reborn" Hanaseki is really disappointing. All she did was change from left hand to right hand!

The end of Chio's School Road was very satisfying. The after credits and fake previews had me LOL. Hope there is a season 2 though I doubt it since they couldn't even fill out the last episode.

Can't wait for the final 2 episodes of Overlord III. The season so far has been pretty disappointing but the last episode had me laughing so hard I nearly spilled my drink and watched it again sober then next day.

I really enjoyed Planet With but its not the end all anime everyone is making it out to be for me at least. The memes and references are my favorite part but the animation style is not to my liking. The mecha are just plain ugly. Also Ginko is best girl.

The current One Piece arc is really starting to drag. The show seems to really like showing Luffy getting beat the crap out of repeatedly... I feel bad for the voice actress for Big Mom since all she has said for the last 20 or more episodes is "WEDDING CAKE!!!!" Jimbei finally shows what role he will play for the Straw Hat crew as their new helmsman. Pudding-chan constantly falling over for Sanji was cute at first but is getting really old. I miss Zoro...

I really loved Gundam Build Divers. Its not a good as Build Fighters but it made me cry a few times. The nod to Build Fighters was nice knowing they are in the same timeline. The whole virtual reality aspect takes away all the stakes in the fights. My favorite part of the "Build" series is the kit-bashing. I didn't watch AGE and didn't love 00 so it was hard to get attached to a lot of the new mobile suits.

Other shows I really liked this season were

• Ongaku Shoujo
  • How not to Summon a Demon Lord
  • Review Starlight
  • Harukana Recieve
  • Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
  • Holmes of Kyoto
  • Phantom in the Twilight
  • Angels of Death
  • Hataraku Saibou (Cells at Work)
  • Asobi Asobase
  • My Hero Academia
  • Attack On Titan Season 3
  • Persona 5 The Animation
  • Jashin Dropkick My Devil
  • Seven Senses of Reunion
  • Bed and Breakfast for Spirits
#4096 Posted by matiaz_tapia (624 posts) -

@not_a_bumblebee: Horror anime is tricky...

-Higurashi no naku koro ni is good for 2 seasons. I'd ignore the spin offs. The story is good, the animation...has a budget.

-Jigoku Shoujo. Nobody talks much about this one, but is a good anthology series. Not horror per se, but a lot of social drama.

-Corpse Party.

-Another. ( that's the name)

-Danganronpa the animation. Tho I rather recommend the games along with the zero escape series. There is some spinoff stuff that is not in the games, but I found them dissapointing. ( mind control...the laziest bs )

-Parasyte. More action-y

#4097 Posted by benderunit22 (1920 posts) -

@puchiko: I never felt like they were ever gonna be able to recover from the flawed premise of Hanebado anyway. How could a mother abandon her child simply because she lost a game while extremely sick and no one points out how fucked up and wrong that is!? And then she brings the excuse of wanting to make her a better player on her own, when all it did was make her quit the sport altogether.

The real problem with the show though is how they seemingly change Hanesaki's character at the drop of a hat. First, she doesn't want to join the club, then they make her remember how much fun she had playing Badminton, then she's excited to have teammates that support her and bam, psycho Hanesaki is back treating everyone like garbage. Also, Connie's backstory seemed awfully melodramatic, although I did like that they showed her actually being a decent person later on (although the bathing scenes were really dumb fanservice.)

#4098 Posted by golguin (5468 posts) -

@puchiko: I never felt like they were ever gonna be able to recover from the flawed premise of Hanebado anyway. How could a mother abandon her child simply because she lost a game while extremely sick and no one points out how fucked up and wrong that is!? And then she brings the excuse of wanting to make her a better player on her own, when all it did was make her quit the sport altogether.

The real problem with the show though is how they seemingly change Hanesaki's character at the drop of a hat. First, she doesn't want to join the club, then they make her remember how much fun she had playing Badminton, then she's excited to have teammates that support her and bam, psycho Hanesaki is back treating everyone like garbage. Also, Connie's backstory seemed awfully melodramatic, although I did like that they showed her actually being a decent person later on (although the bathing scenes were really dumb fanservice.)

I like that with Hanebado! the show didn't try to redeem the mother. There was a lot of concern early on that whatever reason was given the show was going to try to present the reason as, "See? She was a good mother all along!" What we saw was a terrible mother admitting she did a terrible thing by abandoning her daughter. The really important point is that she specifically states that she doesn't regret her decision.

I don't agree that Hanesaki's personality changed at the drop of a hat. She had very specific triggers that set her on this downward spiral. The appearance of the pink haired girl Kaoruko made her relive the loss that she attributed to her mother's abandonment. To make matters worse Connie then shows up and essentially declares that she's the one that took her mom. I'll link the scene as it's a clear demonstration of her breaking point. The mom finally showing up at the end only reinforces Hanesaki's delusion that she needs to beat everyone to have the right to finally abandon her mother. It's a common sentiment shared by kids in similar situations to want to reject their parents for leaving them alone. I've seen it myself in real life.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
#4099 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (1253 posts) -

Can anyone recommend me some good horror anime? I watched the Junji Ito Collection and it's kinda bad. His work does not translate well to an animated format save for a few segments that are still creepy af. I only kept watching it because that theme song by The Pinballs is pretty killer. I also tried to watch Van Helsing Ultimate but I couldn't get into it. I guess I was expecting more Vampire Hunter D and less whatever that was.

I'm looking more for messed up horror like along the lines of Devilman Crybaby or Paranoia Agent. I won't rule out horror/action but it's not my preference as I enjoy Attack on Titan and Castlevania.

The only real decent horror anime I can think of in recent years is Shiki. It's not so much blood and gore or in your face jump scares, but more unsettling in its depiction of the hypothetical scenario taking place in the show. It also has a hauntingly beautiful score to boost. The pacing is a little bit slow, and the art style is definitely an acquired taste, so prepare to see some amazing anime-ass anime hair if you decide to give Shiki a go.

#4100 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15533 posts) -

As things are wrapping up this season, I've managed to get caught up with both My Hero Academia and Gintama, and there's a pretty nice, convenient juxtaposition between them. I was not expecting a time-skip from Gintama after what very much felt like the "final boss" fight that everything was building towards. I was kinda expecting that to be the end, especially with the way it was framed, but I guess we're going straight into another mostly serious arc. It's especially jarring since there are only two episodes left, which means nothing is going to be resolved until they do another anime season, which I have to imagine won't happen until they're sure the manga is actually ending. Then again, I have to imagine this will set up a really good troll cliffhanger, which is maybe what I want out of this series in the first place.

Inversely, I found the license exam arc in My Hero Academia to be pretty whatever for the most part, and the first time the series felt like it was just treading water in a very Shounen Jump-y way (hey, you gotta write a new chapter every week. You just finished one of the most impactful events in your series, so might as well fill time with what equates to another tournament arc until you figure out where the plot is going next.) That said, everything immediately after license exam has made me excited again, between the fight between Bakugo and Deku and some of the world-building they're doing with the villains. Sure, it's a lot of stuff that I have to imagine won't be fully brought together until the next season in 6 months, but I feel like the contrast couldn't be wider in how a weekly serialized manga adaption is paced.

The other thing I've watched is the first season of Little Witch Academia, which has been a lot of fun so far. It turns out Studio Trigger doing a family-friendly Harry Potter-ish show is actually something I've wanted in my life. It's sometimes a little YA for my tastes, but it's earnest and has that Trigger hyperkineticism and creativity without feeling the need to be 110% horny or crazy at all times. Hell, if the second season passes the low bar of not having a nonsense ending, it might be my favorite thing from them.