Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#4201 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2867 posts) -

@lentfilms said:

DUDE! Dorohedoro is getting an anime adaptation! This is one of my favorite manga series and I always thought it would be impossible to adopt into a TV show. No news on who is making it and what it will look like but I am really curious to see how this will come together.

what the fuck

how are they even gonna

well I'll be

is this the work of netflix

#4202 Posted by mezmero (3688 posts) -

Since its 2nd season started recently I watched the second half of Ace Attorney's 1st season. The more I watch the more I think I missed out by not playing these games. It's nice to be watching something with Conqueror's Haki being used tastefully. The highlight of the show is easily the witness freak-outs which get truly ridiculous. If I had one nitpick it's that I'm not a huge fan of the spirit medium stuff being used as a plot device when other aspects about the cases feel weirdly realistic. I'd probably mind it more if the show wasn't so goofy to begin with but all in all I like it a lot.

I finally started digging into Hinomaruzumou and am quite surprised by how much I'm liking it. Make no mistake it is a shounen-ass shounen sports show. Even taking it a step further, similar to many other sports anime in the past few years it too features a diminutive main character whose short stature may or may not be a disadvantage for the sport in question. This is one of the few times I've seen where they make him fairly overpowered out of the gate and it's got me invested early in this protagonist. The structure reminds me mostly of Kuroko's Basketball except the periods between actual fights and the overall tone have a lot more exuberance than that show did. Just the prospect of special techniques being shouted in sumo matches should've been a dead giveaway that I would like this anime.

I got around to watching the 2nd season of The Seven Deadly Sins (not counting the crappy mini nothing arc before it) on Netflix and boy, do I have some complex feelings about it. Not even sure if I'm equipped to post about them in a satisfying way but I can say that I don't think I liked it as much as I did during the first season. There is still some neat action it's just not enough to overcome how underwhelmed I was by any plot threads. I'm probably still on the hook to watch more of it as it comes out but I was not left particularly enthusiastic by the end.

Generally speaking I like this take on more traditional high fantasy stuff (which is done poorly in a lot of anime) and how basically the entire main cast are based on various non-human races. Trip on this: a halfling, a revenant, a giant, a fairy, a golem, a lich, and an aasimar walk into a bar.... I thought I had a good handle on what races were being referenced but this season embellished more about the "demon" template that has thrown any idea of logical consistency out the window. The first episode of this season immediately commits a cardinal sin(ha!) of shounen anime, by applying numerical value for character 'power levels'. Come on guys! It's been decades since the Frieza Saga! Learn from the mistakes of the past and pick better tropes! Maybe I should've paid more attention in the first season because this is not a series that's interested in letting female characters pass Bechdel.

#4203 Posted by Sombre (245 posts) -

@mezmero said:

Since its 2nd season started recently I watched the second half of Ace Attorney's 1st season. The more I watch the more I think I missed out by not playing these games. It's nice to be watching something with Conqueror's Haki being used tastefully. The highlight of the show is easily the witness freak-outs which get truly ridiculous. If I had one nitpick it's that I'm not a huge fan of the spirit medium stuff being used as a plot device when other aspects about the cases feel weirdly realistic. I'd probably mind it more if the show wasn't so goofy to begin with but all in all I like it a lot.

I tried to watch that on Crunchyroll, but the fact that the subs use the Japanese names really made me stop watching. Also, SOME of the episodes used the English names, and it was too inconsistent.

Which is a shame as the AA series is a top 5 for me

#4204 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2867 posts) -

Ace Attorney and Fate/Stay Night are definitely both circumstances where if you can, it's better to play the game.

@mezmero: I hope you like these bad guys, 'cause I swear they started fighting them three years ago in the manga and they're still going at it this week.

#4205 Edited by Ryuku_Ryosake (444 posts) -

I'm dropping in to say if you have been sleeping on SSSS.Gridman this week's episode is where they start doing a thing. There is much promise but we will have to see if it pays out starting in the next episode. Plus there is great scene done in PS1 style graphics that is great. We might might be looking at a good Trigger product here people. Going by the so far phenomenal production and this episode I am filled with hope.

#4206 Posted by AlKusanagi (1627 posts) -

I just watched all the current episodes of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai and, damn, what a great little series it's been so far! Lots of witty dialogue and the main character is actually likeable. Plus the OP is an absolute banger!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
#4207 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (72 posts) -

Finally bit the bullet and started watching My Hero Academia and I'm enjoying it, about 9 episodes in, so far except for one part and I assume I'm not alone in hating it. What is up with that annoying creepy little fucker with the sticky balls just casually molesting the female cadets? I know it is an anime trope as old as time but this kid is really obnoxious about it to the point where Sanji from One Piece is like tone it down bro. From what I've picked up through cultural osmosis is that little shit gets way worse in future episodes. So not really looking forward to that but I like everything else.

#4208 Posted by TheRookie727 (197 posts) -

@not_a_bumblebee: comic relief really, yeah he is the only character that I think that everyone doesn't like in the fandom.

#4209 Posted by AlKusanagi (1627 posts) -

For coming off as such a fun, lighthearted show, the two most recent episodes of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime really punched me in my feelings...

#4210 Posted by Puchiko (803 posts) -

So far this season I had to drop a few shows. The first one Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight which is borderline hentai with a terrible plot. It retells the story of the 100 years war but with Jeanne who goes "super saiyan" buy ingesting the "nectar" of the main protagonist. So far there have been multiple attempted rape scenes and some implied. Unlike Goblin Slayer which used it to justify the MC's reason for killing goblins, this show just does it for fanservice. The twist/reveal that the MC is also based on one of histories most rampant serial killers also turned me off as well.

The 2nd one is Conception which is based on the video game franchise. The concept seemed fun but the story and characters are just so boring. If the the latter show I described was too horny, this show is pretty much a tease. The whole plot revolves around the MC making babies with 12 maidens to create warriors to fight the demon lord. The romance/relationships are so bland and the payoff is just a joke about wanting to have sex but not actually doing it.

Because of this I started binge-ing Gundam Build Fighters and Gundam Build Fighters Try because Gundam Build Divers was so disappointing. It reaffirmed to me that the Build Fighters timeline is my favorite out of all the Gundam series.

I just want to give a shoutout to Gakuen Basara as it totally surprised me. The first episode didn't grab me as much since I never watched the Sengokou Basara which is it a spinoff of. But the wacky antics and colorful characters remind mind me of Gintama but in a high school and I am loving it.

Also Anima Yell is my moé pick of the season. It's cute and harmless with very little fanservice.

#4211 Edited by LentFilms (1062 posts) -

Started watching two 80s mech shows recently, Xabungle and Galactic Drifter Vifam (I've basically been swapping between the two as my regular treadmill shows). They're both fun series so far with Xabungle being a goofy sci-fi western with mechs and Vifam basically being Lost in Space only with a group of kids having to survive after their home is attacked by aliens. Again, I've just started them both but their real fun so far and Vifam has a catchy English opening song:

Loading Video...

Anyone else heard of or watched either of these shows?

#4212 Posted by AlKusanagi (1627 posts) -

What the hell is happening this season?!? How did Zombieland Saga go from a goofy zombie idol anime to one of the most touching and heartfelt shows of the year?!? 2018 has seriously been a good year for anime.

#4213 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2867 posts) -
Karakuri Circus delivers dunk of the year
Karakuri Circus delivers dunk of the year

#4214 Posted by Sombre (245 posts) -

Just bought this collection of Ghibli movies. There's some on there that even I haven't watched, and as an adult with a real job, I feel obliged to actually buy anime I like and support it, instead of the rampant piracy I did as a kid.

Also Castlevania S2 (is it an anime or a cartoon, I can't tell) is RIPPING. I'm 6 episodes in, and really enjoying it. An adult based piece of animation with awesome voice acting, mature content, and wonderful animation. Hoping to finish off the last 4 episodes tonight after D&D. Which I should get ready for :D

#4215 Posted by AlKusanagi (1627 posts) -

Nerd! *packs his backpack to drive an hour to continue the Chult campaign*

#4216 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2867 posts) -

I've discovered what Fobwashed uses to make gifs and it's like a whole new world of Hot Anime Gifs revealed itself

No Caption Provided

#4217 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15557 posts) -

There is a scene in the most recent episode of SSSS.Gridman that gave me chills. "No matter what I do you won't hate me, because I made you that way" I'm still waiting for Trigger to mess it up and somehow have the last few episodes involve them going to space, but I've really enjoyed the weird direction that show has gone.

#4218 Posted by Sombre (245 posts) -

Castlevania S2 owned. Awesome animation, super cool characters, just an all in all great show.

However, with Dracula dying at the end, and not really liking how they ended the forgemaster's stories, I'm not really excited about S3.

Stormare as Godbrandt OWNED though

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
#4219 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (1255 posts) -

There is a scene in the most recent episode of SSSS.Gridman that gave me chills. "No matter what I do you won't hate me, because I made you that way" I'm still waiting for Trigger to mess it up and somehow have the last few episodes involve them going to space, but I've really enjoyed the weird direction that show has gone.

There has to be way more to it than just that. While I still don't think Akane is sinister enough to make up a lie like that, the latest developments involving her, Yuuta, and Rikka is making me think about how far she would be willing to go to make Rikka uncomfortable. There's enough to debunk Akane's omnipotence at this point, and the pocket realm theory is shaky at best. If we're remaining faithful to the Gridman lore at large here, I think we're probably going to some sort of space at some point.

#4220 Posted by burncoat (520 posts) -

Zombieland Saga is probably the most unexpected hit anime I've ever seen. It's got everything. Heavy metal, rap battles, idols, a perfect opening, chicken costumes, heartful feels, and tasteful zombie antics.

Really, the idea that I'd care for an idol anime or a zombie anime in 2018 sounds so unbelievable to me, but this just works so well it's hard to describe.

#4221 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15557 posts) -
@zomgfruitbunnies said:
@arbitrarywater said:

There has to be way more to it than just that. While I still don't think Akane is sinister enough to make up a lie like that, the latest developments involving her, Yuuta, and Rikka is making me think about how far she would be willing to go to make Rikka uncomfortable. There's enough to debunk Akane's omnipotence at this point, and the pocket realm theory is shaky at best. If we're remaining faithful to the Gridman lore at large here, I think we're probably going to some sort of space at some point.

Yeah, there obviously has to be more to it than that, but I just thought the scene itself was really well executed.

The space comment was more of a reference to the meme surrounding Trigger than anything else. This might be the only one of their series where it actually could make sense, even if I think they could end up doing something weirder. Like, I dunno, cyberspace. I just really don't want to get burned with another last second ass-pull like Franxx, because I'm really liking Gridman and it would be nice for there to be another good Trigger anime besides Little Witch Academia.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
#4222 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (1255 posts) -

@arbitrarywater:I agree, it is a very potent scene. Rikka's subtle reaction during and after that scene really makes the episode the best one thus far.

And just as promised, I watched some Sword Gai S2. That proved to be a horrible mistake. Yep, it's really bad. Not so much a second season, just a straight continuation. Clearly, 24 episodes are made then simply aired in two separate batches. This might be the only anime I could not even force myself to finish in a single session. It's so bad. Trainwreck of the fucking year. Netflix might be funneling a lot of money into making anime lately, but it's not by any means saving the industry like some people claim.

#4223 Posted by AlKusanagi (1627 posts) -

So Evangelion is coming to Netflix next spring, both the original series and the first two movies (from the 90s, not the 1.0 etc ones). Looks like it should be the remastered version that was released in Japan on bluray.

#4224 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15557 posts) -

Wow. I wonder what giant pile of money Netflix had to spend to license EVA. I know the remastered Blu-Rays are apparently crazy expensive, and I know the withered corpse of Gainax likes its money, so it couldn't have been cheap. It's been something like a decade since I've watched that show and End of EVA, so I'm interested in seeing if it's as profound as I remember it being. (Spoilers: Probably not. I bet that old English dub I watched it with isn't so hot either.)

#4225 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2867 posts) -

As violent as my initial reaction was to hear about live action Cowboy Bebop, I guess adapting a show that's most popular in America, with sci-fi, guns, Cowboy in the title and a bunch of western-looking and named characters is a better idea than, say, the Death Note or One Piece shows. Though good luck with both the sci-fi action budget for all the spaceship dogfighting, and finding a way for characters like Ed and Vicious to work. I look forward to the Teddy Bomber episode.

On a different note, I watched more Zombieland Saga and I'm glad that I did. Episode 3 and 4 were notable dips in quality, going from great comedy to just basically being an idol show. Or what I imagine a regular idol show to be, anyway. Every episode after that has been much better, both in regards to gags and emotional core, fleshing out the backstory of the characters, what drives them, and how they died.

No Caption Provided

#4226 Posted by NotSoSneakyGuy (218 posts) -

Jeff and his La Blue Girl name drop on the podcast. lol

#4227 Posted by AlKusanagi (1627 posts) -
#4228 Posted by Animasta (14935 posts) -

I finally decided to take the plunge and start watching Jojo's (entirely on the basis of watching that dance scene from the latest series, and then going down a soundtrack hole) the first saga or whatever is generally seen as the 'worst', right? I found the first three episodes pretty okay, but flawed

#4229 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2867 posts) -
@notsosneakyguy said:

Jeff and his La Blue Girl name drop on the podcast. lol

Jeff and Brad's top 10 animes

1. Dragon Ball Z Kai
  2. La Blue Girl
  3. Polar Bear Cafe
  4. Laidback Camp
  5. Bubblegum Crisis
  6. That Golgo 13 movie
  7. Ninja Scroll
  8. The first two DVDs of the Pokémon anime
  9. I guess Jeff watched the Ghost in the Shell movie once
  10. Metal Gear Solid 2
@animasta said:

I finally decided to take the plunge and start watching Jojo's (entirely on the basis of watching that dance scene from the latest series, and then going down a soundtrack hole) the first saga or whatever is generally seen as the 'worst', right? I found the first three episodes pretty okay, but flawed

I guess it's kinda pointless to rank them when Sombre just one page back is talking about how much he disliked Stardust Crusaders and preferred the first season, but I'd personally say Phantom Blood is the worst, and that it isn't an uncommon opinion. I love Battle Tendency tho, starting around episode 10, and I suppose I like the next seasons equally, in different ways. Currently I think Golden Wind is incredibly fun, but I also like more moral characters. So during that amazing dance number, I think "Man, that's great. But also I can't stand these torturing, immature jackasses". I think all Jojo parts are of a high quality really, it's just up to your tastes which comes out on top for you.

#4230 Posted by Sombre (245 posts) -

@animasta said:

Depends what you're into. Like RHCM said, I think P1 is the BEST, because it's kinda "grounded" and...standard? It's just a cool horror/mystery show with an insanely charasmatic villain in Dio.

In other news, it's December, which means be doubling down, and actually watching anime consistently again. I'm gonna do 4 episodes a day for the entirety of December, and see if I'm still into it in January. I'm feeling 2 episodes of JJBA P3 a day until I catch up, and 2 episodes of something light and easy. My first show is "Laid Back Camp" after seeing it on that GB CR panel. It looks slice of lifey enough to casually breeze through :D

#4231 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15557 posts) -

I just saw the JoJo's dance clip animasta mentioned, like 5 times, and now I think I need to also finally start going through that show.

I also watched through Kiznaiver, which I enjoyed far more than I thought I would. The Kizna system is about the single most clumsy and literal metaphor for empathy and interpersonal bonds imaginable, (Perhaps I shouldn't expect subtlety from Studio Trigger) but I don't think I've seen anything else tackle those sorts of ideas so earnestly. It's a weird, decidedly flawed thing, but it's also one of the more memorable anime series I've watched all year.

#4232 Posted by DocHaus (2717 posts) -

Just realized that I should probably be prepping some kind of Anime of the Year deliberations around now. Y'all up for another round of this?

#4233 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2867 posts) -

Natch, gotta get Jojo the win this time around

#4234 Posted by Sombre (245 posts) -

@dochaus said:

Just realized that I should probably be prepping some kind of Anime of the Year deliberations around now. Y'all up for another round of this?

It's Violet Evergarden

#4235 Posted by DocHaus (2717 posts) -

Talking with takashichea now, it's gonna be starting later than usual but we will have some sort of poll for 2018.

#4236 Posted by AlKusanagi (1627 posts) -

This year has been ridiculous for anime. A Place Further than the Universe, Laid Back Camp, Asobi Asobase, Chio's School Road, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai, and Zombieland Saga have all become favorites of mine.

#4237 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2867 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I watched Angel's Egg today, an old Mamoru Oshii movie that I only heard of because of Dark Souls 3. The game featured what seems like an overt reference to it. Which, having seen the movie, that makes sense to me. Of course an atmospheric game set in a world abandoned by God where basically everyone's dead and the past only lives on as mostly forgotten myth, is gonna find some commonality with an atmospheric movie set in a world abandoned by God where basically everyone's dead and the past only lives on as mostly forgotten myth. Besides Dark Souls, it mostly reminds of artsy European films I had to watch during art school. One of them featured Peter Falk playing an angel, but essentially just being a dude walking around in Berlin. This movie is almost entirely a girl and a boy walking around in the dark, not saying much besides "who are you?" and "don't break my egg" until a lore dump near the end.

I'm torn on it, 'cause the atmosphere and art direction is what sells it. It wants to portray a certain mood and loneliness and scariness, based around faith and Christianity, and it basically nails it. All the dark shadows, the well-animated versions of that old Final Fantasy dude's designs, the art nouveau buildings, the frankly hard to listen to soundtrack, those all coalesce to create a great atmosphere. But I'm not too highbrow to admit I was hella bored during some of the slower scenes. And while some of the symbolism and storytelling is obvious(Noah, the ark they're on, God as the big ball, the boy as Jesus), what actually happens during the ending with the death of the girl and the eggs she releases as she dies feels fairly unclear as a conclusion. I don't really get the birds and the trees either, which might be more my lack of biblical knowledge, having been an atheist for life. Still, it's moody and memorable and definitely worth its runtime, just don't go into it expecting a convential narrative or ever show it to a restless person.

Let me spoiler tag some moody gifs

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
#4238 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (72 posts) -

Extremely late to the party but Yu Yu Hakusho is pretty darn good. Great dub too some real effort put behind it.

#4239 Posted by Sombre (245 posts) -

The art in AE is breathtaking. When I used to head my anime society at university, I played it one night to give people an insight as to what "anime as art" could look like, as pretentious as that might sound. I love the sound direction, the art, the allegories. What a film

On a different note, I think JJBA P3 has finally hit a tipping point where I'm enjoying it. I just watched the Cherry episode, and the one with the Devil Arcana (The little doll thing) and GODDAMN I loved every minute. I spent the entire day at work thinking about Jojo too.

Oh, Laid Back Camp is JUST as comfy as you'd expect. It's just cute girls doing cute things, but in the guise of camping and cooking. I look forward to watching more after I finish my tea :D

#4240 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15557 posts) -

Speaking of Mamoru Oshii films, is that Urusei Yatsura movie he did worth watching? Bizarrely, it's the only thing from that franchise available for legal streaming (via Amazon Prime) and something about that guy directing a movie based on the original harem comedy series sounds... potentially kinda great?

#4241 Posted by Sombre (245 posts) -

Quick update as to my current "4 episodes a day" stint:

Laid Back Camp is the PERFECT anime to watch after a hard day at work. It's just super cute and fun slice of life about a bunch of girls camping. I never though I'd be into a show like this, but after Umaru Chan, I decided to give SOL another go, and I've really enjoyed it.

JJBA-Stardust Crusaders is also brilliant. I've just watched the episodes with the Old Lady who has the fog Stand, and goddamn I haven't been this into a show since...JJBA P2, lol. Today's episode pair is "The Lovers". I am so ready for the re-introduction of DIO

#4242 Edited by LentFilms (1062 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I'm assuming you are talking about Beautiful Dreamer? The movie is considered a classic by a lot of people and I would say it is worth watching especially if you are a fan of Oshii's films like Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor 2. I personally didn't like it that much because I have a weird relationship with Oshii's work in general. I find a lot of his overly talky philosophizing in most of his films kind of annoying but the visuals alone in Beautiful Dreamer make it worth a watch no matter how you feel about the director.

Also Mamoru Oshii actually directed the first three years of the Urusei Yatsura television series and the first two movies. So he partially invented the harem comedy at least in the anime world. I've only seen a handful of episodes of the television series but it is pretty dang funny even today and the first Urusei Yatsura movie, called "Only You", I actually like more than Beautiful Dreamer because it is just a big dumb Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World style comedy.

#4243 Edited by mezmero (3688 posts) -

For this year I may rank Aggretsuko over the ubiquitous stuff like JoJo, and MHA purely by how much it surprised me. Otherwise was kind of a middling year in anime for my tastes. I could see Castlevania season 2 making some lists (mine included), but I don't know if it haaaangs...

Watched some of the Slime anime. It's actually pretty good but it also hasn't changed my mind in thinking that this genre is lame as hell.

Still liking Hinomaruzumou, I particularly enjoy how it references elements of mixed martial arts in relation to sumo.

I was a big Slayers fan back in the day so on a lark I decided to pick up where I left off by watching some Slayers Revolution. I was not expecting to be quite so tickled by the absurd humor and interplay between characters considering it's been well over a decade since I've consumed any Slayers at all. I guess I have so much nostalgia for these characters already so it's only natural that I'd like it but even some of the early episodes of this season have me on the floor. It never occurred to me when I was younger that Lina Inverse is straight up chaotic evil.

#4244 Posted by AlKusanagi (1627 posts) -

Goddammit! I guess it wouldn't be a season of SAO unless it went back to the rape well at least once...

#4245 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15557 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I'm assuming you are talking about Beautiful Dreamer? The movie is considered a classic by a lot of people and I would say it is worth watching especially if you are a fan of Oshii's films like Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor 2. I personally didn't like it that much because I have a weird relationship with Oshii's work in general. I find a lot of his overly talky philosophizing in most of his films kind of annoying but the visuals alone in Beautiful Dreamer make it worth a watch no matter how you feel about the director.

So, as a follow-up to this, it turns out the version of Beautiful Dreamer available for streaming on Amazon Prime only has the English dub, which I find just utterly bizarre. I'm no sub elitist, but from the 10 minutes I watched of the film it very much sounds a dub that was produced 25 years ago (which it actually was). Needless to say, uh, I don't think I'm going to keep watching it, at least on Amazon.

That said, I did catch another anime film this past week. The new Mamoru Hosoda film Mirai was doing a special screening. Having missed a couple of other anime films that I wanted to see this year (Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel part 1, My Hero Academia) I figured I'd give it a shot. There was a little interview segment with Hosoda after the film where he says it was inspired by the birth of his second child, and uh, yeah. That checks out. If you want a very small-scale movie about family, told from the perspective of a young child, with weird fantastical elements sprinkled throughout, it's that. Didn't dislike it by any means, but I don't think I was in the right frame of mind when I saw it in the theater.