Anime & Cartoon Megathread V: I, Gacha

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It took 3 or 4 years of off and on watching but I finally caught up to One Piece. I kinda got a love hate thing because the highs are some of my favorite of any shonen but good lord can they drag things out worse than Dragon Ball Z or Bleach. When and if One Piece finally ends I hope they give it the Dragon Ball Kai treatment because it really is amazing but they could definitely edit out a ton of useless filler. Have the 4Kids One Piece Pirate Rap because Jan is right it kinda kicks ass.

Loading Video...

mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4452  Edited By mezmero

It's strange, the last two years I struggled to think of a top 5 list of anime but this year I could probably make a top 10 right now if I wanted to, though be fair some of them would be rollovers from the year prior.

Vinland Saga is my favorite thing of the season. In some ways it reminds me a bit of Berserk though it's somewhat more enjoyable knowing that it doesn't become a cosmic horror series down the line. It's got just enough but not too much of that anime ridiculousness (heck historical fiction IS ridiculous in some cases) while also feeling very grounded thanks to the subject matter.

I've really come around on Dr. Stone in the last several episodes. It's just an extremely fun show to watch with a surprisingly smart approach to comedy that got some legit laughs out of me.

Carole and Tuesday is pretty cool though it feels like it moves at a weird pace at times. I very much dig the music and I think my favorite parts are the dance animations, not just with choreographed routines but also the way people are generally groovin' as they play and perform music.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Oh right the anime thread, uh...here's some random stuff I've been watching lately:

• Symphogear: Finally finished the first season? cour? 13 eps of this wonderfully dumbass show thanks to an online-friend indirectly recommending it. Every character in it is a fucking moron and they nearly let the Earth be destroyed because they were so goddamned dumb, even by dumb non-comedy anime standards...and yet! I had a lot of fun watching this show about lesbian schoolgirls who fight monsters and each other with sentai-ish suits powered by J-Pop all because some lady wants to destroy the Moon to spite God. If you can turn off your brain you'll love it.
  • Cop Craft: It's a shame that the studio had the budget of a few thousand yen and a bus pass for this show. The story is great (I want to say "reverse-isekai" but fuck that) and the director is great but so many action scenes just turn into a complete slideshow of 3-4 frames total because they just do not have the time/money to animate it like it should, especially episode 3 was a hot mess. Having said that, it's like the Will Smith Orc-Cop Movie (Bright) but better. Don't @ me.
  • Fire Force: What if you could punch out fire? What if you could pray for the cities drowned by melted ice caps? What if the Fire Force world firefighters could budget to finish the firefighter suits instead of forcing so many to wear stylish jackets that only sort of cover their bodies from fire? I forgot where I was going with this. Anyways, it's more fun than I expected a shounen show about magical firefighters to be, but I'll probably fall off soon.
  • Demon Slayer: liking it so far, only seen a couple eps, but apparently everyone is going crazy for demon-sister
  • O Maidens in Your Savage Season: I love this show, it's a real good drama with bits of comedy about highschool girls dealing with new feelings being brought on through puberty, but of course if I say it like that I sound like a creepy fucking weirdo. Just watch it, it's good.
  • Magical Sempai: Why did I watch this, why would anyone watch this?
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resurrect this thread by saying Diamond is Unbreakable is best JoJo.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lotsa sequels and gacha game adaptations coming up this season. Thinking I'll check out Beastars and No Guns Life. Maybe Granblue Fantasy S2 because I'm a sucker for the franchise.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Resurrect this thread by saying Diamond is Unbreakable is best JoJo.

I will fight you

papercity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can we consider Rick and Morty as an Anime? :)

I started watching Rick and Morty 2 years ago and decided to get a tattoo last year.

No Caption Provided

I got this Mr Meeseeks tattoo last year as it's the "First Anime" I ever watch and love, which then lead me to watch Attacks on titans, and ended up watching Hunter X Hunter... Yea I am now in love with animes :/ I was thinking about watching one piece too but there is so many episodes to watch, I am not sure i'll ever have time to watch em all =(

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Bit late to the party but I am 4 episodes into Demon Slayer and am enjoying it so far.

Also saw Promare in the theaters and thought it was a good fun time. It felt kind of like a Studio Trigger mix-tape where they took elements from a lot of their previous shows, put them in a blender and made a rainbow colored smoothie. The beginning and end of the movie are zany and fun but the middle felt like it was trying to take all the exposition from a 26 episode TV series and fast-forward through it all to make it fit in a movie length run-time. Because of the rushed story, I never really got invested in what was happening but the awesome visuals and the film's crazy energy was enough for me to still have a good time with Promare. Also Inferno is a great song:

Loading Video...

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else keen for Haikogu Saikoro club? Cute girls doing cute things, with board games :D

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 53

I don’t even know what the big shows for this next season are outside of My Hero Academia coming back. I basically haven’t watched any anime since my Evangelion rewatch a few months ago; haven’t been in the mood.

However, just switched from Crunchyroll to VRV and am planning on getting into stuff again now that I have access to all of HiDive’s catalog too. Anything from last season (or hell, even Spring) that I should watch that isn’t Kimetsu no Yaiba? That’s already a given, and I’m vaguely interested in that Fate-adjacent “El Melloi’s Case Files” show and “O Maidens in your Savage Season.” Anything else that I should keep an eye out for, or is it just going to be a lot of backlog watching for me? (I still haven’t touched that Blu-Ray of Spice and Wolf I bought on Prime Day)

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: I have not been keeping up with what is airing this season so I didn't know that was a thing. Like most shows, I might check it out if it gets positive buzz.

@arbitrarywater said:

I don’t even know what the big shows for this next season are outside of My Hero Academia coming back.

Same for me. Haven't actually watched a lot of stuff as it airs from the last few seasons. Been watching older stuff instead like Haikyu (which I finished recently).

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papercity: no worries, we do non-anime cartoons in this thread too

For everyone else who asked about next season, here's a chart.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The only thing I ended up watching last season was Carole & Tuesday, which technically a show from the season before (thanks Netflix).

Looking forward to the return of Psycho-Pass and Chihayafuru this season, and will probably check out Beastars as well.

mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4464  Edited By mezmero

Looking over the seasonal list seems like slim pickins outside of MHA but there's a handful of stuff I'm interested in checking out. Luckily my main three shows from this season will continue.

I'll probably watch Hi-Score Girl II whenever those episodes coast to Netflix. Same goes for Seven Deadly Sins I guess though I was less than enthused after its previous season.

One huge surprise for me is a remake of Cooking Master Boy!? It's funny that it's coming back parallel to the next season of Food Wars as I personally like the classic Cooking Master Boy anime slightly more by comparison. It's going to be jarring to watch without a Chinese dub.

Another surprise is someone giving a Blade of the Immortal anime another go. I found the anime they did years ago to be a pretty dull rendition of one of my all time fave mangas. I'm curious how far they'll go with it in terms of content as there is some pretty graphic violence against women in it. It's not done super frequently mind you but whenever it does occur it's pretty freaking brutal. Worth noting that there are a few cool female characters but that might not be enough of a consolation for some.

There are some sports animes that I'll probably check out because of course I will. At the same time, I get it Japan! Being small is a disadvantage in sports! How soon until we move past this trope that seems to have gotten popular recently? I'm all for an underdog story but not every sports anime going forward has to be Rudy ya know.

There's some Zootopia looking anime called BEASTARS. It might not be my cup of tea though I'm interested in how it compares to other recent Anthr-omedies like Aggretsuko or Bojack.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warning: My Hero Academia starts TONIGHT

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally watched everything I was slightly interested in from this season and the biggest surprise/probably my favorite thing this season is Kabukicho Sherlock, with the English name being 'Case file n21: Kabukicho' for some strange reason. Being yet another anime take on the well worn Sherlock territory, I expected a passable show but was greeted with something more along the vibe of Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens from a while back. Sherlock explaining the mystery through the use of rakugo was just great.

I'm extremely interested in how Hoshiai no Sora (Stars Align) is going to handle the "turn" it throws in at the end. I never have faith in anime to handle things like this well so we'll see how it goes.

There's also something like 6 isekai and I don't objectively hate any of them unlike last season.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Guns Life Ep1: Pretty good so far! Especially love how the gun head protagonist is taken seriously and how he literally punches a speeding train at the end. Also spotted an Unreal Engine logo in the ending credits, wonder where that comes in. Maybe one of the characters plays Fortnite in-universe?

Choyoyu Ep 1-2: It was sold to me by an online-friend as "Danganronpa isekai" so I gave it a shot, and he was partly right. Class of 7 Ultimate Highschool students (including an 18 y.o. Prime Minister for some reason?) crash land in a village full of dog-people and decide to thank their rescuers by taking over the fantasy world. So I guess it's like Danganronpa if there were no Monokuma and no real challenge.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you guys seen the teaser trailer for this upcoming 2020 series called Mushoku Tensei? I don't really know that much about the light novel it is based off of but holy cow does the trailer have some fantastic animation! Pretty sure that the final show will look nothing like this but the teaser is worth watching simply to enjoy its amazing production values.

Loading Video...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 53

As part of my own poor choice parade, I decided that the first show of this season I'd give a look was Oresuki "Are You the Only One Who Loves Me?" and uh... that's a heck of a three episode test. It sure does swerve between being a potentially interesting subversion of the anime harem comedy to... actually just kind of being an anime harem comedy? I uh... I don't know if I want to keep watching or not.

Maybe I should go back to not giving a shit about whatever seasonal hotness is happening and finally watch that Kimetsu no Yaiba all the cool teens are into.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4471  Edited By DocHaus
Loading Video...

Happy Halloween!

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that was enough to make me want to lazily breeze through Hyouka one more time.

not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really amazed at how consistently good Bob's Burgers is despite being a decade old.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4474 ZombiePie  Online

It has come to my attention Senran Kagura is doing another crossover event with its anime adaptation. This time, however, it's a crossover event with Gantz. I'm not kidding; this is a real thing.

Burn everything down to the ground.
Burn everything down to the ground.

I'm going to watch this, and if you don't hear back from me in two week, then assume this was the anime to do me in!

WISH ME LUCK!

not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Gantz was the first manga I got into. What a weird violent and horny series that was. Basically it was perfect for a teenage boy as is this crossover I see.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying My Hero Academia. Red Riot Unbreakable was a GREAT moment

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4477  Edited By imhungry

@zombiepie: I understand all of the words that made up your post but still can't comprehend it existing. Is this actually a full on animated spin-off or just some gacha game collab (which would make marginally more sense)?

mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both EDs for Vinland Saga have been two of my absolute favorites from this year.

It was brought to my attention a few weeks ago that the classic Saint Seiya episodes have been dropping on Netflix. Finally more English speaking people can experience one of the greatest Lucha Libre animes of all time. Also it has Shiryu, who as far as I'm concerned is one of THE reasons One Punch Man exists.

Loading Video...

Some newer stuff I've been watching:

Ahiru no Sora is decent. It's more or less a reverse Slam Dunk where instead of a delinquent joining a skilled basketball team it's a skilled basketball player joining a team of delinquents to teach them the love of the game. Probably the only sports show I kind of want to keep up with this season.

New Cooking Master Boy is way more of a cut and dry remake than I thought it'd be. It starts all the way in the middle of the original series run but the episodes it covers are pretty much unchanged and sped up a bit. Eh, it's fine but it might have been better left as a relic of the past.

Blade of the Immortal is good, much better than the previous adaptation. First of all the voice casting is improved starting with Manji himself who captures the lackadaisical gruffness befitting the character from the comics. It's also moving at a pretty brisk pace to the point that I wonder if it's leaving out too much back story for newcomers. I'll say the stuff that's been abridged and omitted seems thoughtfully done and is to the series' benefit in most cases. This is definitely one of those series that can't quite capture the splendor of the manga art but still looks very good stylistically. Most of the fights are extremely faithful to the books but the action moves so fast sometimes that I feel like viewers aren't able to appreciate the unique weaponry conceived by Samura-sensei.

Started watching Babylon which is pretty cool. It reminds a lot of Monster in that it is a horror anime with nothing supernatural about it (at least so far), where most of the dread stems from the "monster" of social infallibility and brainwashing.