Anime discussion thread.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

RWBY is pretty nice. There some oddities in the animation and the voice acting of the side characters sound a bit off. Other than that the fights look pretty good and the main cast voices do a good job.

thevamp25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6353  Edited By golguin
@extomar said:

I wouldn't say BSP was "boring" or "dull" but it did definitely have a "methodical pace". Some people like or dislike that stuff.

Edit: I saw RWBY pop up and I believe the previews of it was posted here many pages ago. It isn't quite Anime but it is still fun to watch

Loading Video...

RWBY is anime for sure. The art style and everything feels like anime and that's enough for me.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Yep, that RWBY sure was a thing. Pretty much what I expected Monty Oum to end up producing.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only meant it that in a "This should be posted so why not here?" sort of manner. :)

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6358  Edited By gokaired

I'm about to finish Devil Survivor 2 The Animation.

As a side note, although I don't find that DS2 is very good, there is still something about it that makes me like it. I think it's the premise and overarching story. Opinions?

I haven't even finished the game, but I loved the first one. I had hoped for that to spawn a series but i'll try finishing DS2 then try the Anime.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6359  Edited By Justin258

@metalsnakezero:

@golguin said:
@extomar said:

I wouldn't say BSP was "boring" or "dull" but it did definitely have a "methodical pace". Some people like or dislike that stuff.

Edit: I saw RWBY pop up and I believe the previews of it was posted here many pages ago. It isn't quite Anime but it is still fun to watch

Loading Video...

RWBY is anime for sure. The art style and everything feels like anime and that's enough for me.

Seems interesting enough. I like the animation and the idea, but as @metalsnakezero pointed out, the voice acting is occasionally kind of weird. In addition to that, the actual lines the characters have didn't always seem so consistent. Also, it's great that Rose is excited to go learn how to fight things but I could easily see her getting really, really annoying.

I might keep up with it just to see the fight scenes, though, which should be (if they were anything like they were in the trailers posted so many pages ago) top-notch, amazing stuff.

EDIT: So I just watched episode 2 of this and rewatched the trailers. A) It's definitely anime, only not made in Japan and B) I'm this close to saying that I would rather just see Monty Oum make trailers where characters get into fight scenes with paper-thin context.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6360  Edited By rubberluffy
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I saw Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos on Netflix just now. First thought: Woohoo! I can finally watch this movie that I haven't seen yet! Second thought: Oh, no, it's subbed!

Is that movie streaming in a non-shady place in English?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6362  Edited By Bocam
metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6363  Edited By metalsnakezero

@gokaired said:

@fireprince said:

I'm about to finish Devil Survivor 2 The Animation.

As a side note, although I don't find that DS2 is very good, there is still something about it that makes me like it. I think it's the premise and overarching story. Opinions?

I haven't even finished the game, but I loved the first one. I had hoped for that to spawn a series but i'll try finishing DS2 then try the Anime.

DS2 anime does a good job but being a 13 episode run means leaving out some details that would had help develop the characters better. I do recommend playing the game first.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6364  Edited By Justin258

@bocam: It is on Netflix, but it isn't the dub. Some people in this thread might call me insane but I watched FMA dubbed and it sounds weird to hear it subbed.

EDIT: Also, I finally broke down and watched the first episode of Attack on Titan subbed. That was a lot darker than I was expecting for some reason. I guess the memetic mutation of its theme song and the "dumb, but awesome" way I remember seeing it described made me think it was less utterly serious.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Weird, when I saw it on Netflix it was dubbed. And considering I know Japanese and think the dub's better, you're not that crazy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

@believer258: Weird, when I saw it on Netflix it was dubbed. And considering I know Japanese and think the dub's better, you're not that crazy.

Stranger still, I saw some of Brotherhood on Netflix originally and it was dubbed then as well. It's subbed now. Subbed on Hulu, too.

Availability aside, I guess I should ask if it's actually worth watching or is it as bad as Conqueror of Shamballa?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: It's pretty dumb. Has some well animated action scenes though.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Shaft may still be planning to animate Kizumonogatari. They left Episode in the latest episode

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched some anime for the first time, and liked it.

Why do I feel so dirty inside?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched some anime for the first time, and liked it.

Why do I feel so dirty inside?

Depends. What did you watch?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6372  Edited By rubberluffy
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6374  Edited By Animasta

@believer258 said:

@bocam said:

Stranger still, I saw some of Brotherhood on Netflix originally and it was dubbed then as well. It's subbed now. Subbed on Hulu, too.

Availability aside, I guess I should ask if it's actually worth watching or is it as bad as Conqueror of Shamballa?

there's an english audio option in the subtitles section (on netflix)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yo.

I don't like anime, generally. You people apparently like this stuff, so I'll ask here.

Is the Berserk cartoon any good? I've read the comic and loved the hell out of it. Just wondering if the cartoon is worth watching. I don't go in for that fansub wankery, either. Don't be trying to push none of that business up on me.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: There's two different Berserk series; a new one with weird semi 3D CG that gets better as it goes on, and a older one that is pretty great and has some awesome music.

Loading Video...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: Cheers dude. Thanks for the response. I think I'll go looking on Amazon for dubs.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@believer258 said:

@bocam said:

there's an english audio option in the subtitles section (on netflix)

You're a goddamn genius, Animasta.

(Now read that in Ron Perlman's voice)

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6379  Edited By gokaired

@oldirtybearon: you should start with the series then the movies, warning for the 3rd movie...

It's not fun :'(

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6380  Edited By Justin258

So I finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos. Spoilers for the end of the series follow.

It would have been a cool idea to place something like this after the end of FMAB. The story idea is actually pretty good and could fit very well into the FMAB universe, especially considering the "travel around the world and learning everything" idea that the brothers had at the end of FMAB. It might also solve the problem of never mentioning what happened in Milos while they were traveling, and we'd actually see more of Al as Al instead of as a suit of armor. Of course the action scenes would need major reworking since Ed can no longer do alchemy, but then I'm already suggesting a major overhaul of the plot too.

Unfortunately, the movie's too shallow and dumb to tackle the situation that it wanted to, but it's very well animated and the fights look cooler than they ever have. As much as I dislike Conqueror of Shamballa for the retarded ending it had ("Hey! We got Ed back to his world! Cool! Oh, wait, no, let's put him and Al back on regular old Earth." Who fucking thought that was a good idea?), it was probably a better movie overall.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yo.

I don't like anime, generally. You people apparently like this stuff, so I'll ask here.

Is the Berserk cartoon any good? I've read the comic and loved the hell out of it. Just wondering if the cartoon is worth watching. I don't go in for that fansub wankery, either. Don't be trying to push none of that business up on me.

I know I'm replying to your question pretty late. The TV anime of Berserk is great, but the biggest flaw in it is that it leaves out key characters and ends abruptly right after the Eclipse this shouldn't be to much of a issue if you've read the manga though. The films try to (at least to the best of their ability) correct those issues. They've had a hit and miss for some people.

I actually ended up really liking the films a lot. The animations may not always look the greatest (graphically), however their attention to the smaller details are fantastic to me. Everything looked and felt like there was weight to it (the arms of the guys with crossbows wavering as they try to steady their aim). Then again I'm the guy who freaked out when he saw the hair (which is why I have to have anime hair) physics in Saints Row: the Third. The films do skip some stuff, yet it shouldn't get in the way of your enjoyment of them.

Unless, you were thinking that three films covering the Golden age were going to be able to cover every single thing perfectly and if you did then I think your insane.

Also, I should point out that they plan on doing more Berserk (films I think). Which would be set after the Golden Age.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6382  Edited By GTCknight

It would seem that my post was devoured.

That is one of the reasons why I don't participate in forums.

Edit: Nevermind I see my post now. It's been a long time since I've made a post on the site (or any where really).

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus said:

@darji: your imaginary friends don't count.

how about a real person? the only things on that list worth watching are Cowboy Bebop, Darker than black, Baccano!, and Durarara, however I cant say anything about Ghost in the Shell because i havent seen it.

EDIT: *Que the hate*

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just finished watching the original Giant Robo, so glad I picked the Media blasters dub over the old Manga Entertainment one.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6385  Edited By rubberluffy

Hunter x Hunter 90:

Learnin' 'bout loans and interest with Professor Knuckle (also punching). Stuff about Killua's "curse" is really interesting.

Mushishi 1:

Finally got around to starting this, was really good. I liked the laid back mood of it. Almost put me to sleep, since I watched it so late and it was pretty relaxing.

Finished off Working!! season 1. Enjoyable but really nothing more. Hope season 2 is good.

Been thinking about hitting my "On Hold" list but no idea where to start.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6386  Edited By Justin258

@dochaus said:

@darji: your imaginary friends don't count.

how about a real person? the only things on that list worth watching are Cowboy Bebop, Darker than black, Baccano!, and Durarara, however I cant say anything about Ghost in the Shell because i havent seen it.

EDIT: *Que the hate*

I know for a fact that you don't know what any of those things really are, except maybe for the short summary you read on Wikipedia. And you haven't even seen Darker Than Black!

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did watch some of it the other night, and I have watched at least 1 episode of most of those animes. I just never mentioned it.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

So...I got into this Hummingbird.me beta site. Seems like it mostly copy-pastes things from MAL, and then adds on a light coat of orange paint. I believe its main draw is the "recommendations" engine but I don't think they worked out the kinks on that one. It does streamline the ratings between a simple smiley face of "liked/meh/hated" ratings, with option to review it later, and you can choose to hide some of your completed anime list if you're too ashamed of having seen that title. Other than that, probably another social network I will barely use, as it does not have the episode wiki of AV, the news from ANN or the already-established base of MAL.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Servant x Service - 04

Awesome show. It develops just as I wanted it to be. Also the bunny section manger is hilarious. Best show this season,

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6390  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@dochaus said:

So...I got into this Hummingbird.me beta site. Seems like it mostly copy-pastes things from MAL, and then adds on a light coat of orange paint. I believe its main draw is the "recommendations" engine but I don't think they worked out the kinks on that one. It does streamline the ratings between a simple smiley face of "liked/meh/hated" ratings, with option to review it later, and you can choose to hide some of your completed anime list if you're too ashamed of having seen that title. Other than that, probably another social network I will barely use, as it does not have the episode wiki of AV, the news from ANN or the already-established base of MAL.

Hmm... why not. I've sent an invitation request and once the 82 people ahead of me in the queue are dealt with, I'll start making a list there too. I like the style of the UI so far.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uchouten Kazoku/Eccentric Family 4:

Fucking amazing. The fireworks battle was so good. Definitely my show of the season at this point and if it manages to keep up this level of quality then no doubt it will be a clear favorite for the whole year.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uchouten Kazoku/Eccentric Family 4:

Fucking amazing. The fireworks battle was so good. Definitely my show of the season at this point and if it manages to keep up this level of quality then no doubt it will be a clear favorite for the whole year.

Indeed, indeed. And, oh my god, that ending was great haha. I'm really liking Benten more and more each episode mostly because I just can't figure her out for the life of me. That and that stare she has...

...man. Let's just say it's becoming increasingly clearer with each passing episode why Yasaburou has fallen for her.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou AKA Day Break Illusion continues to be pretty good. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

Loading Video...

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6394  Edited By metalsnakezero

@golguin: yay, I'm not alone in watching this pretty good show (Well at least on this thread).

Also anybody interested in a Attack on Titan video game? http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

Loading Video...

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: yay, I'm not alone in watching this pretty good show (Well at least on this thread).

Also anybody interested in a Attack on Titan video game? http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

Loading Video...

I've played the game. It's pretty good and it does a nice job of showing how difficult it can be to use the 3D Maneuver Gear since it's all about momentum and trying to control it.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6396  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Alright, here's my Hummingbird list.

What I noticed so far that is mentionable:

• You can import your MAL list
  • The first thing when you set up your account is a questionnaire on the genres you like
  • You can choose between 2 rating systems: Smilies (Simple) and 5 stars (Advanced)
  • You can set which language the titles are displayed in: Canonical, Romanized or English
  • You have an Activity Feed which works like Facebook except there's no Like button
  • Instead of a number of views on your lists, it counts the number of people who you follow and the people who follows you
  • The only custumization options on your profile and list are the banner picture and the avatar. Compared to MAL it's not much (but whatever, MAL is crazy, it has a CSS editor in it for eff's sake)
  • The Recommendations are weird. No matter how many times I try to reroll the suggestions, it always throws up the same shows. And that is unfortunate when a show you don't care for appears in 4 different sections (there is a section for each genre you chose.)

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Loading Video...

I thought they were making an official one too. I'm hoping for a Left 4 Dead style multiplayer where it's titans versus humans. Hell the series already has Hunters, Chargers, and even a Tank. I found it kind of funny that they even displayed kill:assist ratios for characters in the previous episode but I figured that it was indicative of a push for some sort of game production.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6398  Edited By gokaired

I've decided to re-watch Bleach and One Piece (with most of the filler removed).

I like how in Bleach everything just escalates, so many "aww! Sh!t just got real!!" moments, One Piece is gloriously stupid, it's nice the break that up with some seriousness.

So far at episode 100 of Bleach and 160 of One Piece.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how many times do you guys generally watch an anime that you really like? I'm just wondering if it's weird to, say, watch Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood for the fourth time. Keep in mind that I've also seen the original about as many times.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really an anime guy but I burned through Attack on Titan and HOLY CRAP I LOVE THAT SHOW. Ugggh it's so good. Tonight I downloaded the Linked Horizon single with the full versions of both intros and it's awesome and I've started reading the manga online and am considering ordering them from Amazon and I'm definitely getting the Bluray when it's available and what is going on WHAT IS GOING ON