Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Animasta

NEW: Read this thing for the fall shows by @dochaus, it's much better than anything I could write

Okay, so, the old topic is falling apart at the seams. Chaos as far as the eye could see. So, I think we need a new one. I broached this topic before and people said blah blah blah lazy. and who better than someone who barely watches anime?

Fall is coming up! This means a lot of new animes. I might even check one of them out once (Kill la kill looks vaguely entertaining)! All I know is Sailor Moon is coming in the winter so fuck all other animes.

Here is a graphic of all the fall anime for 2013, for the record! It's too large for the topic unfortunately.

now, for the nitty gritty stuff shamelessly copied from the old topic:

MAL Club: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=31927

Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gbad

No discussion of illegal activities allowed and please put all spoilers in spoiler tags!

If you want to join in on the discussion, you can watch anime legally at places like

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

or Netflix or Youtube or Funimation's site.

edit; THIS THREAD IS NOW ALSO ABOUT CARTOONS.

try and talk about cartoons here! preferrably about stuff like Korra, Adventure Time and not about family guy and shit, but I am no arbeiter so whatever.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

This should have been subtitled "Anime Harder".

EDIT: That's not "Anime Harder!"

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Wait what.... you guys are on a 3rd topic already?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait what.... you guys are on a 3rd topic already?

well, the first topic was only around for 2 days. then the second incarnation which was the most popular one.

Then that one got to the point where believer posted something and I couldn't see it for 20 minutes later.

so third!

and believer I can edit the topic title whenever I want! this is primarily why I created it.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@demoskinos: The first one disappeared into to the abyss so technically this is the 2nd thread.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Sieg Zeon!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Animasta

@bocam said:

@demoskinos: The first one disappeared into to the abyss so technically this is the 2nd thread.

The first thread will never be forgotten!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, okay. I can't keep up with you crazy kids and yer animez. =p

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tekken is anime as fuck yo.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By musubi

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

Tekken is anime as fuck yo.

Hey now, I play Tekken to punch fools in the face not follow the convoluted story arch.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good. We really needed this.

I wonder how long until the "jump to last page" thing gets destroyed by deleted posts. I'm guessing by page two.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

Does someone have one of those fancy pictures for all of the fall anime? I might as well add it to the OP.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Anime thread's back with a vengeance.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

As someone who only visited the previous thread a handful of times, what went wrong with it? Was it glitchy or something?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mushishi got way dark around episode 4. I think it's great that the show isn't afraid to have a sad ending, but now I don't know if I want to sleep...

@animasta said:

Does someone have one of those fancy pictures for all of the fall anime? I might as well add it to the OP.

Like this?

No Caption Provided

Linky.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

I miss the first thread. Oh the good old days.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By confusedowl

A new Kara No Kyoukai is coming out? oh man that has me excited. The original movies were amazing.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TruthTellah

I'm really enjoying Genshiken Nidaime. I was not expecting the Hato character to be one of my favorites of the year.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm surprised we're on our third second thread

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It begins anew!

Anyway, I've been watching Reborn lately. I have no idea whether or not I have bad taste in anime, but for the most part it's been enjoyable. I'm an absolute sucker for the Shonen genre. Other than that, I still need to watch the two most recent episodes of Attack on Titan. I'm really hoping it continues to stay strong right up until the end and not fall apart completely like some of it's kind does.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@themanwithnoplan: I think the battle manga parts of Reborn are pretty cool! Now if you enjoyed the gag manga part of the first episodes, then we have a discussion about taste going. XD

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gaminghooligan

I'm an anime amateur, but I've been watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which is pretty great. Also I keep hearing about Attack on Titan, so I guess I'm going to find a way to watch that.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm really enjoying Genshiken Nidaime. I was not expecting the Hato character to be one of my favorites of the year.

You and me are the only ones who are watching that show which is a shame. On the surface it's nothing but crazy otaku shenanigans but there's so much more under that. Not to mention the references.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So this is a thing now

Loading Video...

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I was wondering if any of you anime duders can help me with a problem man:

Is there any anime out there that's really good?

Currently watching Code Geass and it's OK man, will definately watch it through. Death Note was pretty good but most shows I've seen have sucked a giant dick to be honest.

To put it in parallel with TV Shows, I'm not looking for a Walking Dead/Supernatural class of shit show, I'm asking if there are shows that are really up there. You know, a Breaking Bad/The Wire type of show that's really above and beyond.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

What happened to the thread with all the comments? I had really good anime recommendations in that and I don't remember the answer to my question on how much of Index can I see if I want Railgun to be the main anime.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cloudenvy

@grissefar: That kind of depends on who you are asking, don't you think? I could probably throw 10 shows at you that I think are masterpieces and only one or two people would agree with me.

Also, The Wire isn't that great.

*runs away*

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TruthTellah

@grissefar: There are definitely really good anime out there. Whether or not you'll personally been into one depends on your preferences. Are you talking more recent or all-time? Because your question is rather broad.

I'd say some safe bets, based on your examples, would be MONSTER, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Mushi-Shi. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Do you want comedies? Mature dramas? Everyday life? Fantasy? Future? Past? You name it, and maybe we can dwell down some good recommendations.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well hope everybody has fun on the thread.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime discussion thread IV: No fun allowed.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic said:

Anime discussion thread IV: No fun allowed.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rubberluffy

Caught up on the current (12!) chapters of Ketchup Ninja, I think I can recommend it to anyone who like really crazy stories or anything that pokes fun at stereotypical american culture. I posted a page from it in the last thread but I'll repost it in this nice fresh one:

No Caption Provided

Also been reading Holyland, if you like fighting (specifically street fighting) and coming-of-age stories you'd probably like it. I really do. It's essentially about "beating depression by learning to beat the shit out of people" but that's really simplifying it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Justin258

Currently watching Code Geass and it's OK man, will definately watch it through. Death Note was pretty good but most shows I've seen have sucked a giant dick to be honest.

To put it in parallel with TV Shows, I'm not looking for a Walking Dead/Supernatural class of shit show, I'm asking if there are shows that are really up there. You know, a Breaking Bad/The Wire type of show that's really above and beyond.

Have you tried Darker Than Black?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By penguindust

Fall season chart is out already? Well, more Magi, Kuroko no Basuke and Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle sound great. Really enjoyed all three of those previously. And Gundam Build Fighters has me the most intrigued. I saw Angelic Layer and I guess I am wondering if it's anything like that but with a Gundam license. Besides, that it is unashamedly a half-hour commercial for Gundam models is irresistible.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@tobbrobb said:

@themanwithnoplan: I think the battle manga parts of Reborn are pretty cool! Now if you enjoyed the gag manga part of the first episodes, then we have a discussion about taste going. XD

The only reason I enjoy that show at all is because of the fighting. I suffer through the "comedy".

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

said:

Eh, if you're recommending Darker Than Black it should come with a sticky-note that says, "Don't watch the second season". As a whole package, I think what they did after Kuro no Keiyakusha brought down the experience.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

said:

Eh, if you're recommending Darker Than Black it should come with a sticky-note that says, "Don't watch the second season". As a whole package, I think what they did after Kuro no Keiyakusha brought down the experience.

That's what bringing Okada into the mix will do to a show.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gokaired

@believer258 said:

said:

IDK, that intro fight made it worth the watch. Man, one of the best Anime openers and fight scenes :)

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I can't shake the feeling that the other thread tanked because I brought up Flashpoint. Obviously just a coincidence but pretty hilarious nonetheless. It's looking like a craptacular Fall season for a more casual viewer like myself. Definitely going to watch Hajime No Ippo Rising and the Lupin III special but that's about all that interests me. Maybe I'll check out Diamond no Ace but that's a fairly severe maybe.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak said:

@believer258 said:

said:

That's what bringing Okada into the mix will do to a show.

Oh, right. I keep forgetting about that because I took everyone's advice and didn't watch the second season. And all I have are good memories of the first.

For the record, I feel like the first one wraps up the whole story very well and I'm not really missing anything.

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rehtayne
Loading Video...

The first season of Little Busters has a lot of ups and downs, but I'm still pretty excited for Refrain.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@believer258: You really aren't missing anything. So good you feel that way. :D

The only reason I enjoy that show at all is because of the fighting. I suffer through the "comedy".

That is pretty much the price you pay to get through Reborn. Which is also why I vastly prefer the manga, makes it easier to ignore the bad stuff.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cloudenvy

@rehtayne: The incompetence of the director makes me want to ignore Refrain and act like Little Busters never got an adaptation. If he can't even make it through the relatively simple common route without making really dumb decisions, I don't see how he could do Refrain justice.

But hey, tell me if it turns out good and maybe I'll watch it!

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Fall season, eh? Let's see what we got:

• Infinite Stratos 2 - Went through the first season, so why not
  • Nagi no Asukara - P.A. Works didn't let me down so far
  • Log Horizon - "The story begins when 30,000 Japanese gamers are trapped in the fantasy online game world Elder Tale." Hmm... why does this sound familiar?
  • Kill la Kill - Get hype!
  • Kuroko no Basuke Second Season - ...
  • Magi Second Season - Even if they changed the story, I still want to see it
  • Samurai Flamenco - If the taglines can be trusted, then this should be like Tiger and Bunny
  • Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio - "Fleet of Fog"... What?
  • Kyoukai no Kanata - Saw the PV a while ago and that made it look like something promising
  • Coppelion - 2036, nuclear accident... *in a Russian accent* "Get out of here, Stalker!"
  • Super Seisyun Brothers - "The two siblings' lives are full of comedy and otaku humor in this slice-of-life story." Why are you doing this to me?
  • Neppu Kairiku Bushiroad - Gainax is NOT making another mecha, eh? Alright!
  • Pupa - Sounds like a story out of Mushishi

Of fuck me, that's a lot!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fall season, eh? Let's see what we got:

• Neppu Kairiku Bushiroad - Gainax is making another mecha, eh? *sigh*

What in the world are you talking about? Are you drunk again, Sheen?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ravenlight

@animasta said:

Fall is coming up! This means a lot of new animes.

Hey now! I'm not even done with lastsummer's animes yet!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

Fall is coming up! This means a lot of new animes.

Hey now! I'm not even done with lastsummer's animes yet!

But it's Sakuga Fall! You can't miss Sakuga Fall!!

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@cloudenvy: Gainax made NGE and the description says "mecha anime."

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers