Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@rhaknar: From what I've seen thus far Gurren Lagann is the superior show with less obvious "ecchi" influence.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@elwoodan said:

So I just started watching Log Horizon as I was caught up with all the other stuff I wanted to watch, and I gotta say when placed next to something as intense as Sword Art Online, it kinda falls flat. After dealing with actual death in a virtual world the idea that they just get rezzed like a regular game kinda lowers the stakes. Other than that though, Kill La Kill is everything I wanted it to be, and Attack on Titan is brutal in all the right ways.

I do not know how far you are but all this you can not die thing gives it a very interesting perspective. This is not your typical "I am trapped in an MMO" Anime. It is far more than that and deals more with real life problems you encounter in such a situation. And the current NPC situation is also very very interesting. I really love what they are trying to do here.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elwoodan said:

So I just started watching Log Horizon as I was caught up with all the other stuff I wanted to watch, and I gotta say when placed next to something as intense as Sword Art Online, it kinda falls flat. After dealing with actual death in a virtual world the idea that they just get rezzed like a regular game kinda lowers the stakes. Other than that though, Kill La Kill is everything I wanted it to be, and Attack on Titan is brutal in all the right ways.

SAO and LogH have very different worldviews and approaches to utilizing the MMO setting. SAO is a poet, whereas LogH is an engineer. SAO celebrates the human spirit and appeals to the heart. At its core is a love story that goes beyond shallow affectations and physical attraction, a solid rebuttal against the modern courtship ritual and the commoditization of love.

LogH's take on the trapped-in-a-MMO trope is both philosophical and pragmatic. When almost all sense of being and identity is reset, how does one go about making sense of a foreign world? I would argue that the inability to die enhances the sense of despair because there is no way out. It also effectively removes man's most basic raison d'être, creating a beautiful irony where, despite having no reason to live, one cannot die. LogH tackles these issues through Shiroe, who makes sense out of a seemingly senseless and meaningless existence, thereby giving himself and those around him the will to continue seeking salvation while not neglecting the realities of their present situation. Unlike SAO, LogH's answer to man's existential despair is pragmatism, and in this respect, instead of celebrating the soul, LogH celebrates the human intellect and the powers of the mind.

Both are fine shows in my mind, though, admittedly, LogH has been getting away from the technicalities of a MMO and more into fantasy territory with the latest episodes.

@rhaknar said:

just watched the first 2 eps...Its amazing, but like you said, is a parody that goes even farther than the thing they are parodying still a parody? Theres some borderline hentai stuff going on in here, but at the same time, they seem to be "in" on the joke and mention it at every corner, I dont know how I feel about it lol

I do know how I feel about the show tho, and its fucking amazing, probably the best first impression since...hell I dont know, GTO probably. Also, I love the animation / art style, but Im going to guess its very divisive?

Much like Gurren Lagann and probably Redline, Kill la Kill is an exercise in stylistic excess. By itself, it's a showpiece for the power and potential of animation. Framed in the larger context of the Japanese anime industry, fandom, and culture, there's likely something more to Kill la Kill than fanservice and flashy eye candy. I'll leave that potential discussion to those more informed and educated on the matter.

You're right about it being divisive, as the same could be said for all style over substance pieces. For those of us that has been watching anime consistently for years now, it's a nice change of pace from all of the generic rom-com and fluff stuff.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

The Steins;Gate movie is really good you guys ;_;

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@animasta said:

It's a much better ending

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#756  Edited By Animasta

@bocam said:

@animasta said:

I know they're making a sequel to Chaos;Head, which I am all for (I probably liked that game more than it deserved tbh), but after this I hope they don't make a true sequel to Steins;Gate. It wraps up everything too nicely. except for SERN I guess but afaik SERN is just an aspect of the council of 300 or whatever the actual overarching evil organization in colon world is.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@bocam said:

@animasta said:

I know they're making a sequel to Chaos;Head, which I am all for (I probably liked that game more than it deserved tbh), but after this I hope they don't make a true sequel to Steins;Gate. It wraps up everything too nicely. except for SERN I guess but afaik SERN is just an aspect of the council of 300 or whatever the actual overarching evil organization in colon world is.

Technically the movie or more specifically the ending is non canon to the visual novels due to world line tomfoolery.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: Any chance of going into more detail? That extra VN is probably never going to get translated.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#759  Edited By Bocam

@animasta: According to the extra VN plus other supplemental materials, there's a loop going on where there's three set outcomes.

1. Mayuri dies, Okabe gives up on trying to save her and goes insane with grief. Then there's a chance of Kurisu being captured and forced into working for SERN to build the original time machine. Okabe tries to save her with the help of Knight-Hart (from Chaos;Head) while they are reunited, Okabe gets shot and dies.
  2. Kurisu dies, Okabe devotes his life to finding a way to save her with the help of Maho Hiyajou.
  3. He saves both of them and is basically wrought with PTSD for the rest of his life which according to Amane is another 15 years. This is where the canon of the anime and VNs diverge.

While the movie depicts a good end, it's only a good end for that specific Okabe. Think of it like the ending to Bioshock Infinite

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#760  Edited By GTCknight

@elwoodan: I'll be very honest I never liked Sword Art Online. The death in the real world thing has been done before and it has always been nothing more than a cheap tension maker (to me). While everyone was watching SAO I was reading a manga called Natsunokumo - spinning web. It wasn't about people being trapped in a game, but about the very nature of those games ( like the psychology of the players). You never who the characters really outside of the game.

Also as someone who's reading the light-novel Log Horizon I'll go and just write this down in a spoiler block.

If a player dies and is respawned they will lose a unknown amount of their memories (starting with those of the Old World). It'll start small and work its way up. Kursty has died twice and can no longer remember his pet cat's name nor can he recall what it looks like. The victim will not have any knowledge of their memories being erased either. Kursty only figured it out after Shiroe told him and the other members of the round table.

Sorry if I spoiled that for anyone who read this before I edited it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Does this Eden of the East thing stay pretty good? I'm three episodes in and it's been pretty good so far. I was at first afraid that it would end up being a romance sort of thing, keeping the amnesiac terrorist thing in the background, but so far its plot points seem to be holding together pretty well and it's moving at a good pace. It also seems short and focused, another big plus.

I just don't want it to become a chick-flick romp around Tokyo with some occasional hints at a more interesting story and a half-hearted last episode that kinda-sorta wraps things up.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#762  Edited By Darji

Samurai Flamenco 11.

Now it is on. They are going all out. Man this episode was fantastic in all ways possible XD

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, on a completely unrelated note, R. Kelly is a crazy person and Trapped in the Closet is fucking amazing.

Loading Video...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That bit with the midget hurt my gut so much XD

I like the parody

Loading Video...

Oh I finished Sword Art Online. It was fun :)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#764  Edited By Animasta

@believer258: nah, it's really good. The show ends with some plot points open but you don't have to watch the movies (I haven't), I thought it was a really good show regardless.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@believer258: I enjoyed the show, but don't think I loved the movie i watch.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

Does this Eden of the East thing stay pretty good? I'm three episodes in and it's been pretty good so far. I was at first afraid that it would end up being a romance sort of thing, keeping the amnesiac terrorist thing in the background, but so far its plot points seem to be holding together pretty well and it's moving at a good pace. It also seems short and focused, another big plus.

I just don't want it to become a chick-flick romp around Tokyo with some occasional hints at a more interesting story and a half-hearted last episode that kinda-sorta wraps things up.

The show ends in a way that sets up the movies. It's not as egregious as something like Fullmetal Alchemist (2003), but it is by far the weakest part of the TV series. The other 99% is solid as solid gets, just as one would expect from director Kamiyama Kenji.

The movies are less good. I would recommend watching the movies if you're going to want any kind of closure. The main plot conclusion isn't all that great, but at least the relationship between Akira and Saki ends relatively okay.

All in all, it's still one of the greatest political thrillers anime has seen in recent years, if not the best. Most certainly worth watching.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#767  Edited By Hunter5024

I finally watched Persona 4 the animation. That sure is an excellent adaptation with some unfortunate art. I'm not even picky about that stuff, but it was not a very good looking show unfortunately. Hopefully p3 looks better. Also Yu was a great character, and Chie sounded super canadian.

@animasta You wouldn't happen to know if there are any plans to dub the Steins;Gate movie or not would you? I don't think I could stand to hear different voices.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: not that I'm aware of, though I wouldn't doubt it's happening. It just might take a while.

Of course, the movie is heavily dependant on how much you like the Okabe/Kurisu relationship

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Samurai Flamenco, you're killing me. But I think I'm starting to understand what all this is all about with episode eleven. The staff has given up. We're never going back to realty and the crazy is here to stay. It's very clear that the people making this knows this is stupid, and, heck, episode eleven as a whole just felt like a huge "fuck this." I don't drop shows very often, but it's hard to keep going when the creators themselves have given up.

Adios, Samumenco. It was fun while it lasted.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#771  Edited By Darji

Samurai Flamenco, you're killing me. But I think I'm starting to understand what all this is all about with episode eleven. The staff has given up. We're never going back to realty and the crazy is here to stay. It's very clear that the people making this knows this is stupid, and, heck, episode eleven as a whole just felt like a huge "fuck this." I don't drop shows very often, but it's hard to keep going when the creators themselves have given up.

How have they given up? This was the thing they were going for the whole time. Just look at the opening and it is exactly that. it is a Sentai show at its best.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

How have they given up? This was the thing they were going for the whole time. Just look at the opening and it is exactly that. it is a Sentai show at its best.

If you believe that this is still the same Samurai Flamenco we saw prior to episode seven, I don't really think we should have this conversation. I can tell you're enjoying the show, and I'm certainly not here to say that you shouldn't. However, to imply that Samurai Flamenco was shooting to be a sentai series from the very beginning due to its OP is completely ludicrous. The utter lack of effort and overflowing tongue-in-cheek self-awareness in episode eleven contrasts so sharply with the sincere thoughtfulness displayed by the first six episodes that it's difficult to consider any conclusion other than total resignation on the part of the staff. Samurai Flamenco started as a clear examination of the hero mentality in the context of a real world setting, and what we're getting now is nothing but a cliche-ridden, tongue-in-cheek parody of the classic sentai genre.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

If you believe that this is still the same Samurai Flamenco we saw prior to episode seven, I don't really think we should have this conversation. I can tell you're enjoying the show, and I'm certainly not here to say that you shouldn't. However, to imply that Samurai Flamenco was shooting to be a sentai series from the very beginning due to its OP is completely ludicrous. The utter lack of effort and overflowing tongue-in-cheek self-awareness in episode eleven contrasts so sharply with the sincere thoughtfulness displayed by the first six episodes that it's difficult to consider any conclusion other than total resignation on the part of the staff. Samurai Flamenco started as a clear examination of the hero mentality in the context of a real world setting, and what we're getting now is nothing but a cliche-ridden, tongue-in-cheek parody of the classic sentai genre.

You said that the pruducer has given up and that is not true since it becomes more and more the series the OP showed to you. He wanted to go there from the begining. If you like it or not is a matter of taste but it is not true that he has given up on the series at all.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#774  Edited By ilikepopcans

@darji said:

@zomgfruitbunnies said:
@darji said:

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

You said that the pruducer has given up and that is not true since it becomes more and more the series the OP showed to you. He wanted to go there from the begining. If you like it or not is a matter of taste but it is not true that he has given up on the series at all.

If you're saying we are supposed to know that this show was going to go all crazy because of the OP then you are CRAZY. It would not be surprising if they made a flashy OP for a show as mundane as this show was in the first 6 episode. Plus, in the OP, Samurai Flamenco wakes up after the big battle scene in the OP which would infer to us that nothing like that would happen in a show that starts so realistic anyways.

I do not like what has happen with this show...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilikepopcans: His dream became more and more and more reality. Or maybe in the end this is all a dream who knows. But if you watch the opening more closely you even can see these 4 vehicles for a short while. Of course the pace this all hapening is insane especially in the last episode but i do believe that is what he was going for all the time.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#776  Edited By Animasta
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I finally got a chance to watch the last episode of Kyoukai no Kanata and I enjoyed the series. It's my understanding that the light novel is ongoing so I'd like to see a continuation of the anime.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@zomgfruitbunnies said:
@darji said:

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

Here's the thing: it's neither a good parody, nor a respectable homage. It's very clearly poking fun at the tropes of the sentai genre, albeit in a halfhearted, uncommitted way. The sarcasm is so thick, you can cut it with a knife.

But you're just going to insist the opposite, probably citing the OP, again. Enjoy your time with Samurai Flamenco. I am moving on.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who like Kill la Kill should watch Kyousougiga

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or just watch Kyousougiga anyway.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#781  Edited By Sergio

@sergio said:

@superwristbands said:

@sergio said:

Wait. Am I the only one enjoying the cute, slice of life that is Non Non Biyori?

I am as well. If I remember correctly we don't see much slice of life talk on these forums.

Which is a shame. Cause Non Non Biyori is pretty great.

That is a shame.

No Caption Provided

which non non would you bon bon?

Loading Video...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

So Eden of the East just went crazy, right? With the nutty castrater-lady who, out of fucking nowhere, sprouted wings and flied away? Well, they just mentioned visiting someone who hasn't left his apartment in two years and I've considered leaving it there just so I can come up with my own conclusion that involves a crossover with Welcome to the NHK and that makes it even nuttier. And out of nowhere, too; this show seemed grounded (for anime) until that.

I'm not going to actually drop it, but I do hope that it picks up speed.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#783  Edited By Aegon

Is anyone planning on making some sort of "Best Anime of 2013" poll/thread/blog on Giant Bomb?

I don't feel like testing out these shows before I'm pretty sure that I'll like them.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#784  Edited By golguin

So Eden of the East just went crazy, right? With the nutty castrater-lady who, out of fucking nowhere, sprouted wings and flied away? Well, they just mentioned visiting someone who hasn't left his apartment in two years and I've considered leaving it there just so I can come up with my own conclusion that involves a crossover with Welcome to the NHK and that makes it even nuttier. And out of nowhere, too; this show seemed grounded (for anime) until that.

I'm not going to actually drop it, but I do hope that it picks up speed.

Before you start thinking that Eden of the East is going to turn into some supernatural show you should watch the next several episodes. I've seen the anime and all the movies. It's pretty much grounded in reality aside from some high technology.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#785  Edited By _Zombie_

Dunno if there's many JoJo fans in this thread, but there's some pretty big news out of Jump Festa 2014. A lot of it is off of tumblr and myanimelist, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Supposed voice-cast for Stardust Crusaders, according to tumblr and myanimelist forums.

Joseph: http://myanimelist.net/people/357/Unsho_Ishizuka

Abdul: http://myanimelist.net/people/720/Kenta_Miyake

Kakyoin: http://myanimelist.net/people/183/Daisuke_Hirakawa

Polnareff: http://myanimelist.net/people/12524/Fuminori_Komatsu

Jotaro is keeping his VA from All-Star Battle. Dio is likewise keeping his VA from the 2012 anime and ASB.

Link from the JoJo anime twitter. Someone translated it and it confirms the cast.

https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/414603548031066112

Also, no official announcement yet. But according to someone on tumblr who's attending the event in Japan, there's gonna be a new wave of DLC characters. Diego is finally getting put in the game, alongside Weather Report.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#786  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I finally watched Persona 4 the animation. That sure is an excellent adaptation with some unfortunate art. I'm not even picky about that stuff, but it was not a very good looking show unfortunately. Hopefully p3 looks better. Also Yu was a great character, and Chie sounded super canadian.

That wasn't that bad at all, I had to compare the Persona 4 anime to the previous Persona Trinity anime and by far it was more fun.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

That wasn't that bad at all, I had to compare the Persona 4 anime to the previous Persona Trinity anime and by far it was more fun.

It was definitely fun. My only issue was the art.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#788  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@hunter5024: Huh? I thought they were pretty on par with the in-game animation scenes.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#789  Edited By DocHaus
@aegon said:

Is anyone planning on making some sort of "Best Anime of 2013" poll/thread/blog on Giant Bomb?

I don't feel like testing out these shows before I'm pretty sure that I'll like them.

I already kinda did set up a poll, just need to make a blog post or something so people actually vote in it.

EDIT: And here...we...GO!

Daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a huge anime watcher but gave Watched Samurai Flamenco a go and wow episode 11 goes all out power rangers, I am sure there is a Japanese genre name for it, but I think i might give it one more episode before calling it quits.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not kept up on many animes this year other than kill la kill (the moment i noticed it was from the flcl/panty stocking guys i was instantly in) and aku no hana. I have mostly attempted to cover some back animes like higurashi no naku ni, schooldays, get closer to current releases of one piece and so on.
With you guys potentially bashing episode 11 of samurai flamenco that hard is it still worth a watch/catchup as that was on the list of ones I wish to view.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#792  Edited By golguin

@optix12 said:

I have not kept up on many animes this year other than kill la kill (the moment i noticed it was from the flcl/panty stocking guys i was instantly in) and aku no hana. I have mostly attempted to cover some back animes like higurashi no naku ni, schooldays, get closer to current releases of one piece and so on.

With you guys potentially bashing episode 11 of samurai flamenco that hard is it still worth a watch/catchup as that was on the list of ones I wish to view.

If you like Higurashi I would strongly recommend Another. Another was one of those series that I never knew existed until I browsed Crunchyroll and just happened to read its synopsis. I'm glad I did because you wont find many anime series with the same kind of tense atmosphere.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@optix12 said:

If you like Higurashi I would strongly recommend Another. Another was one of those series that I never knew existed until I browsed Crunchyroll and just happened to read its synopsis. I'm glad I did because you wont find many anime series with the same kind of tense atmosphere.

Ive only just about finished the first season of higurashi, and the last few episodes were at stupid o clock so i wasn't really following what was happening but I will look into it. The MAL synopsis sounds intriguing

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With this season coming to a close at least for one Anime I have watched I must say I really enjoyed this season and I am happy that most of my Animes I started this season are not over yet as for the finished one:

White Album 2:

I knew how it would end since I played the visual novel but this anime was superb executed from start to finish. White Album 2 is ne of many examples why hentai games or visual novels with sex scenes do not need to be bad. I just really hope they will also animated Closing chapters since ending this on "Christmas" New year's eve is kind of depressing. Not many movies or animes have the guts to end it like this...

On a more happy note:At least for me: Fairy Tail returns in April. Woooot^^

No Caption Provided

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

A 9.5-minute clip of Space Dandy has surfaced on the internets, subbed. It spends quite a lot of time talking about a space-Hooters chain and then ends with a clip of a talking monkey on a spaceship that is shaped like the Statue of Liberty's head with a ballgag in its mouth.

So yeah...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#796  Edited By Darji

@dochaus said:

A 9.5-minute clip of Space Dandy has surfaced on the internets, subbed. It spends quite a lot of time talking about a space-Hooters chain and then ends with a clip of a talking monkey on a spaceship that is shaped like the Statue of Liberty's head with a ballgag in its mouth.

So yeah...

Sounds like something I would never watch XD

Hajime no Ippo today was just great. Sawamura is such a badass and the perfect Villain. since I never have read this manga part I can not see how this fight will go. (I know the result but I am still very excited)

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(I normally don't talk about anime much, but since I'm bored why not.)

So has anyone read the latest Manga for Naruto? Do you think that Naruto will...

Die? well he's the main character I'm pretty sure he won't, but it's interesting to see what will happen. Since Naruto got the 9 tails ripped out of his body by Madara. I wonder if he will die and get resurrected somehow, or survives and have the rest of the tailed beasts go inside him. Then I wonder if Madara will become a tail beast host. If that happens well...alot characters are going to get fucked. That mothafucka already overpowered as he is.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dochaus said:

So yeah...

So we're in for another Cowboy Bebop type masterpiece?

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So has anyone read the latest Manga for Naruto? Do you think that Naruto will...

Die? well he's the main character I'm pretty sure he won't, but it's interesting to see what will happen. Since Naruto got the 9 tails ripped out of his body by Madara. I wonder if he will die and get resurrected somehow, or survives and have the rest of the tailed beasts go inside him. Then I wonder if Madara will become a tail beast host. If that happens well...alot characters are going to get fucked. That mothafucka already overpowered as he is.

I do not read the Narutos but I can say with a 100% certainty that

Naruto won't die. Unless the manga is ending but I don't think it is.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic said:

I do not read the Narutos but I can say with a 100% certainty that

Naruto won't die. Unless the manga is ending but I don't think it is.

Actually it is on its final stretch.