Anime Recommendations?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By asurastrike

This year has been a pretty poor year for new anime, and with Bleach going into filler, again, I need some Anime recommendations.  So, any new(ish) anime that you can recommend? I usually watch Bleach, and I've already watched FMA, DBZ, Death Note, Claymore, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, Eureka 7, Robotech, Yu Yu Hakusho, Samurai Champloo, Evangelion, and Black Lagoon. Thanks in advance.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Best one I can think of that you didn't mention is Gurren Lagaan.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad is the very best I've ever seen, and I, despite my best instincts, recommend the dub over the sub. Its the best Anime I have seen. 

Also:
Black Lagoon
Eyeshield 21 (it's a riot)
anything by Miyazaki or Shinkai
Fate Stay Night
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

I recommend Naruto Shippuden.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By asurastrike
@JJOR64 said:
" I recommend Naruto Shippuden. "
Pass on Naruto >.>

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them all out.
Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Matfei90

Gundam 00
Macross Frontier
Gurren Lagann
Soul Eater
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo

Tonnes more I've liked but that's just off the top of my head. Good to see you've already seen Black Lagoon though - that's usually my #1 suggestion.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJOR64

You can always go to AnimeVice and ask there as well.

persianspice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By persianspice
@JJOR64 said:
I'd recommend the manga, anime is too drawn out and boring. Even though the manga flashes back to events that happened several pages before, it still is far more to the point than Shippuden.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJOR64
@PersianSpice said:
" @JJOR64 said:
I'd recommend the manga, anime is too drawn out and boring. Even though the manga flashes back to events that happened several pages before, it still is far more to the point than Shippuden. "
True.  :-P
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By asurastrike
@Matfei90 said:
" Gundam 00Macross FrontierGurren LagannSoul EaterSamurai 7Samurai ChamplooTonnes more I've liked but that's just off the top of my head. Good to see you've already seen Black Lagoon though - that's usually my #1 suggestion. "
I watched the first 4 episodes of Black Lagoon and then stopped because it didn't really seem to have a point. I forgot to put Champloo up there, I've seen that.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Bible Black is a good one.  The story could be considered as the creme de la creme of anime.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By asurastrike
@KaosAngel said:
" Bible Black is a good one.  The story could be considered as the creme de la creme of anime. "
Oh hey, aren't you funny.
meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By meptron

Toradora is new. I liked it. Romantic comedy with good character development.
I'm not sure if it has been liscenced for released outside of Japan, but fansubs are available... if you're into that kind of thing.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shadow

One Piece, Naruto (.............sort of), Bleach, Soul Eater, Death Note, Code Geass, Hitman Reborn (is terrible for long streaches at the beginning, but gets good), Basquash, Macross Fronteer, Air Gear, D.Gray-Man, Elfen Lied, Hellsing, Higurashi, K-ON, Gundam 00, Skip Beat!, Rurouni Kenshin, Tenjou Tenge, as well as most of the ones other people have recomended.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Asurastrike: Dude!!!!! Check out Code Geass. Thats the best anime ever made =P Well according to most people these days anyways. Its basically the intensity and thriller-ness of Death Note multiplied by at least 5 maybe more, then combined with Super awesome mech fighting.

Its also really cool because the main character is an anti-hero so hes pretty evil and badass. Mind you his being evil is arguable =P

You will also appriceate that the anime has no filler at all, each episode keeps you on the edge of your seat and ends on a even more crazy cliffhangery note. It was brutal having to wait a week for each episode to come out haha.

I would also recommend Gundam 00, Its also really great but less focus on characters somewhat and more mech battle-y. Although I wish there had been even more mech fighting!

But anyone who is into anime should definitely give Code Geass a try, it raises the bar for how good an anime can be. And if your not super digging the character style at first, give it a bit, it really grows on you. (You might not even care/notice but the character design is a bit stylized. Its actually really amazing)
makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By makari
@Xeiphyer said:
" @Asurastrike: Dude!!!!! Check out Code Geass. Thats the best anime ever made =P Well according to most people these days anyways.
Geass is a trainwreck. It is great for all the wrong reasons.
MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By MetalR

One Piece

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NoDeath

Judging from what you've already seen I would suggest:
Code Geass
: Similar to Death Note- Except with mechs
Ghost in the Shell SAC and SAC 2nd Gig: Its a really good show, If you've seen the movie, you should watch it. If you haven't seen the movie, you should watch the movie, then watch it.
Gurren Lagann: Complete balls out insanity thats done really well.
Elfen Lied and Gantz: Both are ultra violent gore-fests with interesting stories. The voice acting for Elfen Lied is pretty shitty though, and thats not even the dub, which is basically resident evil bad.
Hellsing: Its got vampires fighting other vampires and huge church dudes fighting vampires. The only real problem I have is that it doesn't hold a candle to the manga

If your after something a bit different from what you've been watching though, these are some:
Clannad
: The undeniable king of the classic slice of life romance/comedy show. I highly recomend
Spice and Wolf:A rather slow paced show set in medieval Europe about a travelling merchant (who sells spices and one point) and a wolf goddess. Most of the plot revolves around his weilings and dealings however, the interations between the two are what really makes the show shine
Eden of the East:Really recent show. Takizawa wakes up in Washington DC with nothinng but a gun and a cell phone with 8 billioin yen credited to it and no memories. What starts out sounding like the worst possible Bourne rip-off turns into a rather intereesting story
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
: Just watch it, OK.
Planetes: One of the best Sci-Fi anime ever made. Set in 2075 when space debris is large enough to impede space development, we see the future through the eyes of the equivilant of garbage collectors, the bottom rung of the social ladder.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lemegeton
@NoDeath said:

Hellsing: Its got vampires fighting other vampires and huge church dudes fighting vampires. The only real problem I have is that it doesn't hold a candle to the manga

are you referring to the OVA or Hellsing Ultimate. Ultimate is much better and sticks with the manga way more.
I also second Elfen lied, yeah some of the characters voices are bad but the violence and the story make it a worthy choice.

i am currently watching a show called Gilgamesh which i am enjoying, and i would also suggest you check out Heat Guy J, a good action romp IMO

and if you are into your anime you gotta join Anime Vice

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#20  Edited By Lazyaza

Here are my recommendations:
Desert Punk - arguably one of the funniest anime of all time, set in a post apocalyptic world where the main character is a complete asshole.  Lots of 'mocking its own medium' humor as well as sexual frustration jokes aplenty.
Gantz - if big brother was taken to the extreme, minus the cameras with copious amounts of blood and sex added.  Oh and theirs an evil alien that lives in a sphear that gives guns to the 'players' who have to work together to survive or die, generally dying more often.  Highly entertaining but definitely not for people with weak stomachs.
Ghost in the Shell - everything, the original movie, the sequel, the first and second series and the series movie sequel. All amazing pieces of work.  The best of the best when it comes to sci-fi anime.
Spriggan - one of the greatest action anime films of all time, cant recmommend enough.   
Afro Samurai - a very unique anime, hi-hop/rap culture mixed with ninjas, robots and general madness, plus Samuel Jackson plays 2 of the lead characters.
Cyber City Oedo 808 - Old 3 episode long 80s sci-fi series, just all around bad ass.
Akira, Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll if you dont already own them.
Pretty much everything done by Studio Ghibli, if you cant enjoy their films you have no soul imo. They win countless awards for a reason :) Be warned though Grave of the Fire Flies is one of the most depressing films ever made.
And lastly The Animatrix, actually better than the sequel films themselves.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By minotaka
@Asurastrike said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" Bible Black is a good one.  The story could be considered as the creme de la creme of anime. "
Oh hey, aren't you funny. "
Messy. You messy disturbed guy. Funny.But disturbed...   i remember stumbling upon that anime time ago and not having any idea on what i was really seeing .... hilarious.

Anyway.. pretty much every good anime has been named so far.. Hellsing OVA's are sweet.  
I reccomend Ghost in the Shell SAC + 2nd Gig.
                         Naruto -  though i'd give shippuden a miss.... just read the manga and save yourself  what would take about 5 mins, stretched out to 20. Terrible pacing.
                         Kenshin - again The OVA's are where its at... the serises had more comedy value and less gore.
                         Darker than black - havent seen to much but its been reccomended by fellow anime nerds ( i heard its like Heroes )
                         Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Ninja scroll - absolute classics.
                         Claymore - need to finish watching it..   though i hear the manga is alot better.
                         Cowboy bebop - the infamous mushroom episode = rofls.

1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 1Gorebash1

M.D Geist
Hokuto No ken

Vampire Wars
....you know? the good stuff.

Only modern one I can heartily recommend is Tokko. 

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By dietmango

Darker Than Black
Toradora!  (romantic comedy - I don't know if you're into that)
Eden of the East
The Melancholy/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya  (You need to watch it...nah I'm kidding just try it out)
Samurai Champloo  (Epic!!!)
Cowboy Bebop  (Epic!!)
Canaan  (It's a new one that barely started 2 weeks ago, decent action so far)
K-ON!  (it's pretty much school life about 4 girls in a band...pretty funny and pretty random too. Moe is through the roof xD)
Sengoku Basara  (I found it really hilarious. I don't know if you're into historical fantasy though...)

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By dietmango

I wouldn't really recommend Naruto Shippuuden. I don't hate the show. It's just that...I'd rather read the manga than waste time with the anime. Too many fillers, I just stopped watching altogether after that Three-Tails Arc.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By EnchantedEcho

pokemon

drok17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By drok17

You gotta check out Hellsing and Berserk. Both wicked animes

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By damswedon

if your okay with a love story love hina is okay.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kohe321

I've just seen one anime, and that was Berserk. I can highly recommend it.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#29  Edited By Vinchenzo

Big O is alright.

Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stunt

If you have a PlayStation 3,Xam'd: Lost Memories is really good. However, it'll cost you like two bucks to watch each episode, but hey you get to keep them.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Marzy

If you haven't seen it, I would recommend Hajime No Ippo. There's a new series that started recently in Japan, but I haven't seen it yet. The original series is amazing though, in my opinion.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Whisperkill

seems you're more into shonen

I like darker, mor mature anime. Some good one are Monster, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Death Note and Gantz.

Although the Gantz anime sucks compared to the manga.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Whisperkill

oh and sorry for double post, but you should check out the new FMA anime, it follows the manga unlike the first series.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Cerza

Escaflowne
Outlaw Star
Lain
Ergo Proxy
Golden Boy (watch the dub NOT the sub)
Madlax
.Hack//Sign
.Hack//Roots
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (AKA Rumbling Hearts)
His and Her Circumstances
Haibane Renmai

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust
One Piece (Fan subs - 408 episodes with 8 or 9 movies too)
Last Exile (steampunk adventure)
The Slayers (4 seasons with the latest being Evolution)
Bubblegum Crisis/Bubblegum Crisis 2040 (2 separate series featuring the same characters...kind of)
Full Metal Panic (& two follow up series)
Gunslinger Girl (preteen assassins)
Maburaho (a comic love story with magic)
Martian Successor Nadesico (Space comedy-adventure, + movie)
Negima! (Harry Potter-like school for magicians)
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (female "troubleshooters"/scifi stylized look)
Gunsmith Cats (girl detective comedy-adventure)
Robot Carnival (anthology movie about robots)

And, you may want to look at this recent thread started by Kaizzy.  Any Good Animes?  There were 130 responses.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheGremp
@Asurastrike said:
FMA, DBZ, Death Note, Claymore, Cowboy Bebop...
You sir, win.  Death Note is awesome.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By subject2change

Berserk (Fantasy/Gore)
Claymore (Fantasy/Gore)

The only 2 Animes I ever recommend ^^

However Initial D (Street Racing) was good as well but I haven't seen it in years so I can't really remember much of it.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shadows_kill

Shaman King!

Benjamin_Sisko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Benjamin_Sisko

Tenchi Universe!!!!

Izlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Izlander

One Piece
Full Metal Alchemist
School Rumble
Ichigo 100%
Code Geass
Hajime No Ippo
There is tons more but i really cant remember right now x) i HIGHLY recommend these that i have said.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Eden of the East, Dead Leaves, and 5 Centimeters Per Second are some of the best anime I have ever seen, I cannot recommend them enough.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jeffsekai

Dunno if its been said yet but Fate Stay Night is really good.

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CSXLoser

the visual novel yes, the anime  is average at best.

Kara no Kyoukai is damn good

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AgentJ
@Shadow said:
" One Piece, Naruto (.............sort of), Bleach, Soul Eater, Death Note, Code Geass, Hitman Reborn (is terrible for long streaches at the beginning, but gets good), Basquash, Macross Fronteer, Air Gear, D.Gray-Man, Elfen Lied, Hellsing, Higurashi, K-ON, Gundam 00, Skip Beat!, Rurouni Kenshin, Tenjou Tenge, as well as most of the ones other people have recomended. "
Yeah, i completely gave up on Reborn after the first 10 volumes. It finally started to get a bit interesting, but i didnt have the energy to continue. 
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AgentJ
@CSXLoser said:
" the visual novel yes, the anime  is average at best.Kara no Kyoukai is damn good "

@Jeffsekai said:
" Dunno if its been said yet but Fate Stay Night is really good. "
good to see there are some Type Moon fans here!
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" Best one I can think of that you didn't mention is Gurren Lagaan. "
Good to hear since I just ripped the whole thing from Netflix.