Anxiety- strength through community

mopanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mopanda

Anybody else suffer from severe anxiety or anxiety disorders? I try to throw myself into videogames to escape but it's hard...conscious of my breathing and swallowing... heavy pressure on my chest... night sweats and negative thoughts. Therapist recommended finding strength through others and I know the giant bomb community is amazing. I've followed for years just signed up.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cagliostro88

Welcome!

Yeah we are a many here suffering from anxiety disorders and other various mental issues. It's an argument that even comes up regularly with the staff since both Alex and Dan have to deal with this kind of stuff. I'm happy to read you already go to therapy since many have a difficult time in looking for professional help. Are you finding it helpful?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

My girlfriend has had severe anxiety attacks over the past couple of years. She recently started seeing a psychologist and getting active treatment. If your anxiety is the mind-racing, stomach upsetting, panic at not knowing every single detail sort of anxiety, Lexapro is working really really well for her.

Are you taking any medication at present?

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By fatalbanana

I'm with you brother and know how hard this shit can be. Communicating with others can be really helpful. Burring yourself in video games can be hurtful. Try to merge the two. Join a community where people play games together. Find a multiplayer game you like, find people that like them too, play together and talk. You don't have to talk about your problems all the time just connecting with others can be extremely helpful or at least has in my experience.

Are there games you like playing that can be played in a group?

If so let me know and we can play together sometime. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I've had issues in the past, very similar to what you're saying; shrinks and all that stuff never worked for me, in fact it made it worse. The best thing for me was to keep busy. Working out is a huge benefit to anxiety and depression, in fact some studies show that it's just as helpful as medication; not for all people but for many (please don't stop taking medication if you've been prescribed it). I always found that I had the most issues when I was just sitting around.

namtrahj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have a lot of problems with anxiety and depression. Sometimes I have the same hyper-awareness of my body that you do, too. I've been in therapy for a few months, which has been helpful. Not currently on any medication, but I'll be starting something again soon.

I also agree about GB being a good source of comfort. The podcasts and videos do a good job of calming me down. My wife recently spent seven months in Africa, and I'm not sure how I would have gotten through it without GB. I didn't do well at all while she was gone, mind you, but GB helped a lot.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I hear you buddy.

My wife suffered/suffers from serious anxiety. It can put you in some anguishing spaces. Reaching out is definitely the right move if you feel its what you need.

Mental health is something every person on this planet has to deal with whether they're cognitive about it or not. Being able to speak openly and with compassion and understanding in a supportive community is probably the healthiest choice a person can make. Mental Health is an incredibly complex and personal issue but being aware and open to trying to help yourself is the biggest and most important step.

What you want that community to mean and end up being is going to be unique to you. I wish you well! You are most definitely not alone!

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's to things getting better for ya and everyone else that suffers as well. I've had anxiety and depression for the past 16 years but I've made strides. 1up and then Giantbomb, along with games has helped out.

Once you get it under control it becomes more of a nuisance that can get in the way of things (talking anxiety, not full blown panic attacks). Try to not let that rule over your life and don't settle for just getting by.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I've been in therapy for a little under a month now because my social anxiety got to a point where I couldn't normally function. It's been slow but it has been helping.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StrikeALight

@shorap: Yeah! This is a really important thing to remember. Anxiety can actually be really useful (as long as its not in a persistent, heightened state) as it can improve your self-awareness and empathy for others. Just don't be too hard on yourself, cause everyone is messed up, one way or another.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a lot of problems with severe anxiety as well, it gets hard at times, at it's worst I get anxiety attacks and I start to physically feel numb and my body and mind gets all crazy. And most of the time I get really awkward talking to people haha. Podcasts, video games and working out helps me deal with it. Talking to my really close friends about stuff like video games and whatever else we're into really helps too. Hopefully you'll work through this.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shorap

@sfw44: I've had a few panic attacks that were like that...not fun. The main thing I noticed with that was I was shaking kinda uncontrollably and my hand coordination was off.

I've always found that doing menial tasks helps. Anything that keeps your mind off it (the Halo series has always been awesome for this as I get in a sports-like, focused zone while playing) but as I've gotten older I've noticed things like shaving, washing dishes, cleaning/organizing things also helps a lot.

I have yet to give meditation a real chance but I should. So many people swear by it, more so than exercising but I should still do that as well. I need to just do it and push past the initial learning curve.

knivesouttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By knivesouttt

Hey! Yeah, I've had depression, OCD and anxiety for most of my life, and posts like this are a fantastic way for people with similar issues to come together and feel comfort, so thanks. I have never had therapy nor taken any medication, and as I am a professional actor, my doctor always advised against medication due to the potential to damage or dull my personality and creative side. Who knows...

However, recently my anxiety and OCD (typically what some would call Pure O or intrusive thoughts heightened by depression and anxiety) have got pretty bad, so am more and more keen to seek professional help. I find it very hard to talk about and there is a sense of embarrassment, but totally understand it's better to talk about it.

Giant Bomb has been a major factor in comfort and happiness, as have games. Currently playing Breath of the Wild and that is a fantastic place to get lost in! All the best to everyone on here.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knivesout: You'd be surprised how understanding most people are about mental health. If they haven't ever dealt with it then they know at least one person who has so while they might not understand it, they can still empathize.

I've always tried to be open about it with anyone willing to listen as it helps people understand it. Once they find out that it's like a primal fear that can make no sense but it's all because the chemicals in your brain and body are simply misfiring, so to speak.

It can take some tries and everyone can react to any medication differently but there are meds out there that can help and not effect your personality negatively.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really great to know there are so many others who feel the same things I do. Thanks for putting this out there as it has helped me as well. Before I started professionally wrestling, I found comfort in Giant Bomb and it's community to get me through the week. I sought help after a while which led me to wrestling. Every now and then my anxiety gets the best of me, but I understand the triggers now (bad eating, no exercise) and can better deal with it.

Some of the best ways I've combated anxiety are switching to a clean eating diet (with one cheat meal a week), exercise, and meditation. I agree with the other duders here. Keeping myself busy to the point where there is not a lot of time to sit and think really prevents my anxiety from acting up.

Remember anxiety controls you only if you let it. Your mind is a powerful thing and you have the ability to control it. It takes work and we are all learning to do it, but don't feel like you have to do it alone.

If you ever want to play a game, feel free to hit me up:

PSN: BBOYS_2231

XBOX: BBOYS2231

Steam: BBOYS2231

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can definitely empathize, dude. Struggled with anxiety for most of my life but it got real bad in 2010 once I started college. Since then it's been up and down with anxiety and depression. Sometimes one is much worse than the other, sometimes they both hit hard. Right now I'm working on getting back to work and piecing myself back together. Breaking bad habits and reinforcing good habits, making myself the person I want to be again. I'll add you on PSN! Lookin' forward to having further dialogue with y'all fellow Giant Bomb community members. This site has been an absolute haven for me for the past 4 years or so.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RetroMetal

Alex brings it up... all. the. time...

Welcome!

Yeah we are a many here suffering from anxiety disorders and other various mental issues. It's an argument that even comes up regularly with the staff since both Alex and Dan have to deal with this kind of stuff. I'm happy to read you already go to therapy since many have a difficult time in looking for professional help. Are you finding it helpful?

mopanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mopanda

Hello everyone ! So much to respond to! These comments really brightened my day, which is ironic because it's others in the throes of battle....but the words are encouraging. I have been meaning to pick up dan ryckerts book. I guess I presumed that it was more geared toward moderate anxiety or social anxieties as opposed to anxiety disorders? i need to check it out though. Using anxiety as a weapon in your arsenal is very wise... it's just tougher when it's distracting levels of hyper awareness. I don't really suffer attacks so I sympathize for those that do.... that sounds awful. I've seen my girlfriend suffer hyperventilation attacks. I just don't know how to use my anxiety as an ally when it's like distracting self monitoring. How can I use being super conscious or my breathing or my swallowing as a positive? I feel like even when I'm watching a tv show or playing a game I drift from normal to aware of my anxious state far to often . It's like an all day kind of thing....with only minor lapses. I am on medication "venafaxaline" 75 mg. I have been trying to stay busy working out and spending time with family. I do agree that now matter how downtrodden this message sounds I'm fighting. I am a big believer in fighting. The tricky part is that anxiety symptoms are just that...symptoms. The cause is usually buried in our subconscious... and therapy can sometimes help to ease the subconscious mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have anxiety and depression but my depression is a million times worse. I been suffering with clinical depression since the mid 90's antidepressants don't help me in fact they make me feel worse the only thing that even helped my depression was Marijuana but unfortunately it's not a option right now. My only hope is I'll be moving out of state next year to a state that is closer to legalizing it. But man shit is tough this one of the worst years in my life. My depression is sinking me I put on to much weight and it's so hard to get it off when you have no energy and feel like shit all the time. I really need a miracle at this point I feel I'm the most depressed person in the world I been out of work for longer than I'll ever admit. With physical health problems and depression I'm surprise I still give a shit about life trust me the walls feel like there caving in shit is bad.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By zombievac

You can learn meditation for free in a lot of places online, I personally learned through TM classes but they cost way more than they're worth, and as long as you practice you can find even better training online. It will (almost?) definitely improve things like this - I can't think of a single person who meditates and doesn't have an improvement in anxiety management.

mopanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jec03: if it helps at all. I feel the same way. Each day feels like it's 45 hours long currently. I am also currently out of work because my anxiety interferred with my career. I have a kid on the way as well and a new house. All we can do is take it one day at a time and try and make each day one percent better than the day before. I'm sorry to hear anti depressants failed you. My therapist says excercise is much better for depression than anxiety.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@mopanda: As you can see you are not alone.

I can really recommend Dan's book. It's very good, and I find it helpful that he is both funny and of course very successful in life. What helped him most is meditation. I do not suffer from general anxiety disorder, but I am quite sensitive and worried about most things. When it's bad I get anxiety that persists for an hour or two. Mainly where I am at in life, what I am doing/not doing about that, and how I'd like to have done a lot more at this point. I am most likely somewhat depressed as well. Dan and Drew were my main sources of finding out about that meditation actually works, and I am so thankful for that.

Meditation has helped me a great deal, especially those days when I do struggle with the more "physical" aspects of anxiety. Doing body scans (this sounds strange, yes, as do most things with meditation) can make me "locate" where the more physical aspect of anxiety is and sort of, I don't know, feel it. Let it wash over me. Get it over with in some sense. It makes things clearer. Read the book, and as Dan recommends Dan (!) Harris book 10% happier is a good next step in learning about meditation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mopanda said:

@jec03: if it helps at all. I feel the same way. Each day feels like it's 45 hours long currently. I am also currently out of work because my anxiety interferred with my career. I have a kid on the way as well and a new house. All we can do is take it one day at a time and try and make each day one percent better than the day before. I'm sorry to hear anti depressants failed you. My therapist says excercise is much better for depression than anxiety.

Thanks for the response I hope your anxiety gets better.