Any duders afraid/anxious while driving?

• 119 results
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Poll Any duders afraid/anxious while driving? (291 votes)

Yes 38%
No 62%

I'm a new driver so I've had to learn how to contain my fears while driving. I'm wondering if any of you duders feel this way while driving. I'm not afraid enough to stop driving entirely as I have to drive to go to where I have to be. I'm mostly looking for some folks that have dealt with this feeling or are currently victims of it.

• 
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@phatmac:

I had some of this when I first started driving. It is pretty normal because it is the most dangerous thing most people will ever do. Those that aren't nervous are those young and dumb teenagers that drive like idiots and end up fucking their car, themselves, or worst, someone else up.

Get some experience under your belt and it will go away.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not while driving. I only get anxious and scared when I have to find parking.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I don't get nervous much but when it comes to a new area I worry a bit.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Not if I know the area well but I am fucking awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwful at navigating new areas and that terrifies me.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, looks like this thread is live on the site now?

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThePaleKing

Pretty sure most people were anxious and nervous when they started out driving, but really the only way to get over it is to stop worrying so much. I actually think it's a lot like playing a new game, at least a more complicated one, in that when you first start playing you'll have to be constantly checking the controls and being overly cautious, then by the time you've sunk some hours into it it all becomes intuition.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

@phatmac:

I had some of this when I first started driving. It is pretty normal because it is the most dangerous thing most people will ever do. Those that aren't nervous are those young and dumb teenagers that drive like idiots and end up fucking their car, themselves, or worst, someone else up.

Get some experience under your belt and it will go away.

I've been driving for about 7 months and I still don't feel fully comfortable while I'm driving. It just seems super dangerous to do on a daily basis with every variable that could occur while driving. I haven't gotten into an accident or anything so I'm happy for that.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By dethfish

I definitely do. It's the main reason I don't drive anymore. I got my license almost 7 years ago but I never renewed it because I just didn't like driving. Well, I love driving, I just hate driving with other people on the roads. Recently I've been reconsidering my decision though, just because being able to drive myself around would be extremely useful.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's something that gets better with time and experience. The more you drive the less scary it gets.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MezZa

I was nervous when I first started driving. I'd say for about the first year or so. I get that feeling back when I'm going to a completely new area and I'm out of my comfort zone. That kind of feeling is a good thing though. Keeps you attentive while you're still gaining the experience you need. I got into an accident shortly after I lost that anxiety because I got too comfortable with what I was doing and made a stupid mistake.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I actually think it's a lot like playing a new game, at least a more complicated one, in that when you fast start playing you'll have to be constantly checking the controls and being overly cautious, then by the time you've sunk some hours into it it all becomes intuition.

I don't think I've ever felt that I was too insane to play a video game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By EVO

Driving, no. Motorbike, yes.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I tend to not care (within reason) of speeding or stuff like that when I'm alone, but if I'm driving other people I drive way more carefully.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By pr1mus

No just angry most of the time.

FFFFFFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should be, but that just means you're smart and will probably be safe.

As for worrying about other people, just remember that most people you pass are driving so much that it's second nature.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got into a head on collision and totaled my car within three days of earning my license. You cannot fret, as even if you do everything perfectly, the possibility that someone else will screw up always exists. I attempt to anticipate what the people around me might do, but I am never frightened by it; fear like that will cause you to overcompensate or lock up, and may lead to you causing the accident.

No, since that day I have been as calm as you can be; after all, I couldn't go anywhere but up. It's been eight years since then and I haven't been involved in any sort of collision since. I have avoided numerous crashes either by foresight or not cracking under pressure, and you can do the same.

Just remember; sometimes they are unavoidable, and freaking out about that chance doesn't improve your odds.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Yes. I'm a very cautious driver, so I trust myself, but the thought that I have no control over how safely other people drive terrifies me.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheHumanDove

When I first started driving, sure. It's just one of those things that completely vanish over time, sometimes to the point of carelessness.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#20 riostarwind  Moderator

Yes, if I didn't have to drive because of my location I would most likely just take a bus every day.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

A bit, but only because my driving experience is always months apart, it sucks too because I just got a job that will require me to drive a truck in a town that I have never driven.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only get nervous when I'm in a new city or driving somewhere new because I'm afraid I'll get lost or something.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I used to feel that way, then i got a summer job and had to drive to work everyday, so I got over it. Of course, I don't have a car at school and the drivers here are kind of awful, so we'll see how I feel then.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By maginnovision

I work for bmw as a tech, I can see that ending real quick if I were afraid or anxious while driving. I've also been in accidents range from parking lot fender benders, to 80mph car destroying things so I feel like I've experienced it all, and how can you really be afraid of what you know. My last accident was at about 40mph and I hit a wall because some jerk ran a red light, long story short, I picked up my bumper, put it in the trunk, and did the 80 miles I had to do. No problem. So get some experience and never fully relax unless you want to be a bad driver running red lights and stop signs, changing lanes without even seeing cars or doing 50 on a residential street. Also don't drive when drunk or high, it really doesn't go as well as it may seem at the time. I've hit somebody who ran a stop sign when he was high and he totally thought it was my fault. Witnesses, cops and insurance disagreed. So yea, pay attention, get experience, maybe take some classes.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikeJFlick

I've always had fun on the road, be it in a car or on my motorcycle, I've even crashed in both a few times still don't experience any anxiety, only time I did have anxiety was when I was driving this big-ol u-haul which I've never driven something so large before, since then I've driven plenty of them so I beat any fear I did have.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#26  Edited By pyromagnestir

If I'm going somewhere I've never been before and it's busy and has loads of other cars on the road then I can get a bit anxious while driving.

I am something of a terrible driver in such conditions, so I tend to take the back roads which hopefully have less traffic and are easier to navigate, unless I'm travelling with someone whom I can ask questions like "Hey what lane should I be in right now?" or "Is it this right or the next one?"

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'm actually a bit too relaxed I think. One time I spun out on the freeway in moderate traffic and ended up facing the wrong direction in the center lane. Luckily I didn't hit anyone and managed to make it to the shoulder then back on the road again. Afterwards I noted the complete lack of fear, panic, or adrenaline that one would expect in that situation.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually a bit too relaxed I think. One time I spun out on the freeway in moderate traffic and ended up facing the wrong direction in the center lane. Luckily I didn't hit anyone and managed to make it to the shoulder then back on the road again. Afterwards I noted the complete lack of fear, panic, or adrenaline that one would expect in that situation.

Same here. I lost control exiting a roundabout one day and laughed all the way to the side of the road.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jdh5153

The real trick is practicing texting, drinking / eating, and changing songs all at the same time on the highway. Good times.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@jdh5153 said:

The real trick is practicing texting, drinking / eating, and changing songs all at the same time on the highway. Good times.

How about playing video games? How about playing rhythm games? How about playing reactive rhythm games that cannot be memorized? How about playing Patapon?

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By guiseppe

I was, but not anymore. I'm still cautious though, probably too much so. That said I don't have my license yet, that stuff is ridiculously expensive here (Sweden).

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jdh5153

@jdh5153 said:

How about playing video games? How about playing rhythm games? How about playing reactive rhythm games that cannot be memorized? How about playing Patapon?

hmm...I've played Words with Friends while driving but that's about it.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aetheldod

Nope ... but to be fair I started to really drive until I ws 20 + (never needed to before then ) .... I dont get nervous only get angered by how dumb other people are , JUST GET OUT OF MY WAY D:<!!!!! err... ye ... yeah (honestly I love driving on highways ..... because there is less people around slowing me down)

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

When I first started driving, sure I was nervous. I think that's only natural. That will eventually go away.

The only time I really get nervous now is if I'm driving in an area I'm not familiar with.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By audiosnow

I despise driving in places I'm not familiar with, but if I know the area driving is the most relaxing and enjoyable thing I do. It has been that way for as long as I've been licensed.

My most embarrassing moment involves driving in Las Vegas.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@phatmac: It's a matter of experience. After a while you'll almost stop paying attention to anything like huge trucks driving right by your mirror and whatnot.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't worry about it if I was you dude, I'm 32 and I still get nervous when I'm driving a car. Funnily enough, I love riding a bike even in countries with no real traffic laws, but driving a car at home in Ireland makes me nervous.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I never was afraid or anxious while driving even when I was just starting out. However, I get anxious when someone else is driving, I don't trust their ability and I like to be in control I guess.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BlatantNinja23

yep, can't handle cars coming towards me at all. It's almost like I never expect the car to stop at a light/sign. Granted, being in a accident probably caused this.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea of being in control of a big chunk of metal moving at high speeds is the main reason why I don't drive. At the same time I don't really have to drive either though, so I guess it's something you get used to when you're forced to deal with it.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Just got my learner's and drove for the first time in seven years (since I finished driver's ed. in high school) and was pretty nervous about it, got into town and had to switch with the person with me, which was a little strange since I didn't really have that fear by the end of Driver's Ed. but I'll probably get that comfortable again after I go out a few more times. It just takes some getting used to.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dungbootle

I'm a new driver too, yes I am, I hope I get used to it soon.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I was anxious when I was learning to drive, and sometimes during the few months afterward. But, you get used to it the more do do and the more you experience. I found learning to drive was a chore. Its funny you can't tell a teen ANYTHING, but I'm glad my parents insisted that I learn to drive early on a manual transmission. I also learned how to do basic maintenance tires, batteries, changing oil, filters, fluids, etc. It is nice to be able to open the hood and see what looks okay and what looks worn or broken. It is harder with modern cars, but it is still nice to know how the car works, or how to fix a leaky exhaust system with a soup can.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are a new driver it's natural. It will go away when you get used to it. Not long after i passed my test i got a job that gave me a company car. I had to go pick it up and drive it home. I had never driven a car as big as it before, and i had to drive 130 miles home on the motorway. I was convinced i was going to kill myself, obviously i didn't and now i drive about 20,000 miles a year and i love driving.

Just always assume everyone else on the road is out to kill you and you will be fine.

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No most of the time but I do get a little anxious on roads with big vehicles in the oncoming lane.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fear of driving, or fear while driving is actually really common for folks with anxiety disorders. Used to happen to me.

If you don't have anxiety issues in general, then its just a matter of driving more. Just drive defensively and be safe, and you will be fine.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I only get truly nervous driving at two points: when the car is engulfed in flames and driving in the city. I always make sure to take public transportation when going anywhere near the city. Boston driving sucks pretty hard, but the public transportation is pretty good.... comparatively

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Practice, practice, practice! The best way for a new driver to build up confidence is to spend a lot of time...driving. It may sound obvious, but how else will you learn to deal with the roads than by spending time on them? Is there one particular aspect that unnerves you, or is it driving in general? For instance, if you really don't like roundabouts, then force yourself to take a roundabout on every journey until you feel better about it etc. etc. You'll eventually learn to enjoy it, honestly.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@evo said:

Driving, no. Motorbike, yes.

First couple days riding a motorcycle in traffic are nerve racking. Driving a car is a walk in the park, especially an automatic.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but I drive extremely slow and maybe give a little bit too much respect to other people on the road, especially when driving with a manual shift.