Any duders here runners? (5k,10k, marathons, etc.)

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By defaulttag

I finally ran my first 5k in my whole life. It was a great feeling. I've never been really healthy until the last couple of months. Mostly obese/overweight all my life. I'm excited to keep going and improve my times. Anyone here participate in runs/races? If so, which events have you done?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I can only really run about 1.5 miles without stopping before I come close to passing out. I just haven't had any reason to run because I've never been overweight and I no longer play sports.

I'm trying to run regularly to get in shape for NJROTC but it's been so hot this summer, and I can't run in heat or I get sick.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

I would like to be, but I'm not fit enough. I used to do jogging for a while, but I gave up in favour of sitting in front of a computer all day eating cheese slices.

MaskedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MaskedGamer

I've done half-marathons 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dany

I run and jog in a treadmill. I do some outside at the local park here but damn mosquitos.

I think I can do 3+ miles, maybe 4 on the treadmill but its a whole different game when your outside for some reason.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Mmmslash

Occasionally, say for instance, during a cutscene, I sprint to the kitchen, and then sprint back to the couch. 

Does this count?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defaulttag

@Dany said:

I run and jog in a treadmill. I do some outside at the local park here but damn mosquitos.

I think I can do 3+ miles, maybe 4 on the treadmill but its a whole different game when your outside for some reason.

Harder surface to run on to. Terrain changes often.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By defaulttag

@MaskedGamer: that's sick! right on! how long did it take you to train for them?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dany

@defaulttag said:

@Dany said:

That and the heat and humidity we get sometimes makes it unbearable sometimes.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By KillyDarko

I used to run 5 and 10k back when I was in high school, mainly cause I was part of both the athletics team and basketball team.
Then in college I probably ran more than 5k per match when playing for my college football (or soccer, if you're in the US) team, but that wasn't really continuous running, so I don't know if that counts.
After college I've just been sticking to cycling, really-- it's cheap, it's green, and it gets me to places quite fast (used to do 14k per day for one of my last jobs) ^^

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By crusader8463

Nope, but I walk every day. Speaking of which, I have been putting off today's walk for far too long. I guess I might as well get it over with.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By Hector

I run, currently trying to get my time down. I run at around a 7min mile pace. The least I do is 3-4 miles. The max I've ever ran is 10. I go to a running club, these guys here can do a 4-5min mile..I suck! haha

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By cheesebob

@defaulttag: I am a 100 metre sprinter. My best is...somethign like 10.9 give or take some miliseconds

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeeGee

I would love to be more of a runner, but my health has always been an issue whenever it comes to it. I did an 8.5k run a few years back and loved it, got me really into doing more but something always came up that stopped me.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By MisterMouse

Yeah I picked up running this year, and still working into it with my Vibram Fivefingers, run about a 5k every other day but need to work up to longer distances. Congrats on running your first 5k!!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Jimbo

@defaulttag said:

@Dany said:

And the ground doesn't move outdoors. Treadmills do half the work for you.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oatz

I hate running. I'm a weights guy. If I'm cutting and I have to, I'll do some HIIT, but that's probably it.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I've done 8 k every day, save week-ends, without fail for the last few months. It started out as a way to keep in shape sometime early last year, and steadily grew into an obsession. I feel physically ill, quite literally; if I don't get to do my running. Ain't exactly the most pleasant thing in the world as I've already got to get up decently early for work, but it's beyond my control at this point. More than a habit, it's just how I start the day.

Used to do actual marathons back in high-school, as well as sprints. Was pretty good at it, too, but I just lack that competetive feeling, these days. Running is the best way, bar none, to lose stress if you ask me. Once you're done, you're just too damn tired to give a shit about anything. Everything seems easy compared, haha.

I live in Switzerland, which is hell to start running in. If you want any privacy, at all, it basically means a constant slope upwards. Once you get used to it, though, it feels pretty good. Sort of HAVE to do other sports to manage it, though.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By m0rdr3d

Nice!  Getting into shape for those first few miles was the toughest in my opinion.  From there you may be surprised at the sudden gains you make.
I've done a marathon, a couple of halfs, and numerous 5ks.  Being in marathon shape was incredible, but boy was it a timesink on "long-run day".  Once I get my time down there's no looking back.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laserbolts
@Hizang

I would like to be, but I'm not fit enough. I used to do jogging for a while, but I gave up in favour of sitting in front of a computer all day eating cheese slices.

Christ. At least make a grilled cheese sandwich.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheFreeMan

I used to do the Sun Run, which is a 10k. Haven't done it in quite a few years and it took a lot of training to do it without getting unbelievably sore afterwards. Felt really great once you finished.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DonPixel

I´ve done 10k three times so far, My best time it´s been 47mins..

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Klei

When I started running, in 2009, I could jog for like.... two houses before I would crumble into suffocation. Now, I can run up to five kilometers without too much effort. I've never tried anything higher than 5km, simply because of laziness. After a while, I just want to head back home. 

Oh and I also lost 56 pounds doing this. From 211 to 165.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By pickassoreborn

I used to run regularly - when I moved to Newcastle, I spent the first two years completing the Great North Run - an annual half-marathon from Newcastle to South Shields. Definitely recommended for the sheer atmosphere of the event. If you want any running tips, give me a shout.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NickBOTT

When I go to the gym I run a little over 4 miles.  I started off only being able to do 2 miles, then worked my way up to 4.  It's always a great feeling when your able to run more than you thought you could. 

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By solidejake

I run for Cross Country & Track & Field. So I guess I do a 5K often.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust

An 8 Km runner here! 

I want to see if I can improve till 14 Km. So I can run in a big race in November. 

Congratulations to you for start running. It is not an easy thing to start and harder to keep at it. :)

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#28  Edited By MightyDuck
@defaulttag: Congrats on your first 5k!

Back in college I ran the NikePlus 10K here in Chicago.  I had an absolute blast with it.  I think my time was 53 minutes?  

This is something I'd definitely like to get back into.  I've definitely fallen out of shape a bit since graduating and getting a full time job. 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't run. i have been thinking about doing it for a while.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jNerd

I'm skinny, I don't need to run. (;

@laserbolts said:

@Hizang

Agreed! Don't be a f***ing behemoth, a grilled turkey & cheese w/ provolone might improve your sex-drive.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I did cross country every year in high school.

drcocktopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By drcocktopus

Usually do about 3 miles a couple days a week

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VoshiNova

@laserbolts said:

@Hizang

Need's more bacon either way

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LibraryDues

I do 35 miles a week, and, like has been said by others in the "run every day" crowd, I get pretty antsy if I don't get my daily run in.

I need to get over that, because I would love to train for a marathon, but, as stupid as it sounds, the breaks you need to take as you train up to that level are what is keeping me from doing it. Ugh, I really should just sign up for the Philly marathon in November.

But griping aside, running is great. Humans evolved as endurance hunters, with feet specially adapted to running for long distances in open terrain, and (mostly) hairless bodies to allow us to vent heat far more effectively and keep up the pursuit even on speedier prey until exhaustion overtakes it. We are built for it, which is probably why it's so satisfying: so many aspects of the body clicking together at once.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By rockinkemosabe

I used to be a competitive 6k runner in high school but I got injured and I haven't run since then. I really gotta get out there again and start up.

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LibraryDues

Oh, and running is a great way to listen to podcasts. Just throwing that out there to you duders.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bruce
@defaulttag:  

I have long legs, and I can run really, really fast. Never tried running in the sense you mean, but I have walked extreme distances. I walked all the way from the Bronx, to Brooklyn, to Manhattan, and back.
MaskedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MaskedGamer
@defaulttag: I consider myself somewhat fit so I had been running 10k's since I was like 14 and I ran my first half at 17 but I never really specifically trained 
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well just yesterday I ran 8 miles (12.8k) for fun, so today I'm just chllin, doing stretches and lifting some weights. I totally used to do it religiously everyday, but now not so much.