Any good websites with movie reviews?

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey fellow GBers, I need your help. Remember those good old days of when Matt and Alex were working for Screened? It was basically the Giant Bomb version for movies, and it was magnificent. However, once they left, that website became incredibly dull and boring with very few reviews of new movies being posted anymore. Also, most of those movies are blockbusters, so I never get to find out about some of the lesser known movies that Alex and Matt would write about from time to time.

During the golden era of Screened, I became a lot more interested in cinema, but now I just simply can't find any other place that would be like it. I used to visit Spill from time to time, but their website has been recently shutdown. So, could anyone recommend me any websites that would be the Giant Bomb version for movies? By that I mean a place where writers aren't solely serious, like to have fun, introduce a little bit of comedy in their writing, maybe have some video features as well. If you know of any similar websites, could you please share it with me and the rest of this wonderful community?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only thing I can really think of would be the AV Club.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, the Avclub is my go to site for movie and tv reviews.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By MildMolasses

There's AVclub, but a lot of their quality movie guys left to go start The Dissolve with Pitchfork Media

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not as crazy as GB but the people at Empire seem to have a sense of humour. It's where I go most often.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By weegieanawrench

It's too bad about Spill, it was pretty cool. Korey Coleman started a kickstarter though (and is already funded), so hopefully he and his team will be back sometime soon.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ghost_cat

blu-ray.com surprisingly has good writers with great taste. Definitely give them a shot.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I too lament the end of Screened, and I've never found a film site I liked as much since. 2010 was maybe my greatest year for films ever, partly because of just the sheer amount of great movies (Inception, Social Network, Black Swan, Winter's Bone, The Fighter, The King's Speech etc.) but partly because of Screened's awesome coverage. I enjoyed hearing about films even if I had zero desire to see them, and listening to their opinions on a film I had seen was always fascinating.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'll be watching this thread and checking out some of the suggestions, but I pessimistic about finding one that sticks with me.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 jeanluc  Staff

They do video reviews so you won't see updates at a regular pace but I love RedLetterMedia's Half in the Bag series.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atlas said:

I too lament the end of Screened, and I've never found a film site I liked as much since. 2010 was maybe my greatest year for films ever, partly because of just the sheer amount of great movies (Inception, Social Network, Black Swan, Winter's Bone, The Fighter, The King's Speech etc.) but partly because of Screened's awesome coverage. I enjoyed hearing about films even if I had zero desire to see them, and listening to their opinions on a film I had seen was always fascinating.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'll be watching this thread and checking out some of the suggestions, but I pessimistic about finding one that sticks with me.

I too was a Screened fan. I really loved that site. For two years it was my go to movie site and since then I haven't really found another one either. I was introduced to a lot of great films that I never would have watched before. I watched Winter's Bone because of Alex's four (or maybe it was five) star review. I also loved some of the videos they did. It's too bad that site fell apart. It should honestly be put out of its misery. I've also always been a fan of Roger Ebert's work and while I do like some of the longtime writers on his site, his reviews are greatly missed.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My buddy co-runs a little film blog called Film Colossus. It's still a work in progress, and their website proper will launch in a few weeks, it seems. They're in the process of getting new writers and such, but they update pretty frequently with just the few they have on the placeholder site. It's a different perspective than you're going to get with most film sites. They are more about analysis than critique, though I guess the two aren't entirely unrelated. But their views also shift slightly from the norm. It's a good place to go if you're looking for a different take on whatever bullshit everybody is currently fawning over. They also do a good job of covering the lesser known stuff out there.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I second the AV Club love, it's been my og to pop culture site for years now. The Dissolve, a movie site with a lot of former AVC staffers is also pretty good.

postnothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogerebert.com. I personally just check Metacritic or IMDb (iOS app).

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanluc said:

They do video reviews so you won't see updates at a regular pace but I love RedLetterMedia's Half in the Bag series.

This! They are very entertaining and really know their stuff when it comes to making movies.

For those unaware, these are the same guys who did the Mr. Plinkett Star Wars prequel reviews from a few years ago.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was wondering that same thing I used to use SPILL.com but then they got shut down so I have no home till there new site starts up.

craigieh28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Kermode over at the good old BBC. Cantankerously passionate.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I find The Escapist's Escape to the Movies with Movie Bob pretty good. He only does one video review every friday but he usually picks the movie I want to see him cover that week and I tend to agree with him more than most mainstream critics.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hustlerlt: AV Club, Pajiba and especially Red Letter Media. RLM has video reviews for new movies (although they've been slacking as of late) and also have a feature called Best of the Worst where they pick the 'best' out of three bad movies. Also, check out Plinkett's reviews on that selfsame site. RLM is probably my go-to pop culture site besides AV Club.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

I just checked out Screened for the first time in forever. Maaaaan, they've done fuck all with that site.

The last video was from March 2012 - pre Whiskey sale - and the forums look pretty dead.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AntPatCan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use IMDb for movie reviews.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@cybexx said:

I find The Escapist's Escape to the Movies with Movie Bob pretty good. He only does one video review every friday but he usually picks the movie I want to see him cover that week and I tend to agree with him more than most mainstream critics.

I was going to post this but @cybexx already has. This is my only movie info I get since Screen shit the bed. It's good stuff. Yes the The Escapist sucks, but this show does not.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the time IMDB. A lot of user reviews there.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really like the Keepin' it Reel podcast at IGN. Roth, Chris and Jim are the core team and they're great at looking at the industry as a whole as well as movies themselves... they talk a lot about comic book movies, but they're great at going deeper into what makes and actor or director tick without crossing into gossipy bullshit. Plus they have enough clout that they actually have proper celebrity guests on their show yet they never pander to them or act like sycophants...

It's up there with Giant Bomb as one of my must download podcasts.

ign.com/articles?tags=podcast

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you were a fan of Spill.com, Korey and Martin (Known primarily as Leon on Spill.com) are now doing movie reviews together:

https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman

I don't know how often they plan to update it with movie reviews, but man is it nice to hear them again. Once they move to their new site, I think they'll be released weekly, and hopefully they'll get some more folks from Spill back on board.

Xavtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

scene-stealers.com is my favourite place for movie reviews, not as pandering and blockbuster friendly as a lot of sites, not as pretentious as a lot of sites, you never feel like you're being talked down to, but you get good, in depth discussion from people who really know what they're talking about, good sense of humour too. If you just want straight up humour look to filmdrunk.uproxx.com, most of the stuff they put out is pretty damn funny (podcast can be a bit bro-y though). For film news I go to the playlist, but I take their opinions with a grain of salt as I agree as often as I don't with them. Finally if oscar punditry is your thing incontention is the place if you have fun with picking the winners and lightly following awards season.