foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By foggel

Hey guys. 

I've just started to get into making electronic music, and would like to create something myself. Problem is I don't know where to start. I got a Macbook Pro with Garage band, and that's about it. I'm considering Logic express/pro, but I don't feel I need something so sophisticated just yet. First off I need to learn the basics. My problem must be where to find samples. Do you make them yourselves, or do you "loan" them from existing songs? Do you use the loops that follow the editing program or do you create your own? 

Do I need a keyboard? I enjoy dubstep, and would like to attempt to make something within that genre. How do I make the wobbly sounds? :) 

I appreciate all tips on where to go from, how to get started, and general tips :) Thanks.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By foggel

Hey guys. 

I've just started to get into making electronic music, and would like to create something myself. Problem is I don't know where to start. I got a Macbook Pro with Garage band, and that's about it. I'm considering Logic express/pro, but I don't feel I need something so sophisticated just yet. First off I need to learn the basics. My problem must be where to find samples. Do you make them yourselves, or do you "loan" them from existing songs? Do you use the loops that follow the editing program or do you create your own? 

Do I need a keyboard? I enjoy dubstep, and would like to attempt to make something within that genre. How do I make the wobbly sounds? :) 

I appreciate all tips on where to go from, how to get started, and general tips :) Thanks.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Meltac

You should talk with Hamst3r from the site.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I just dont have the creativity in me.. 

I learn how to play rock/metal songs on my electric guitar via tabs, and i can play hundreds of em, but writing stuff myself is meh !

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DanielJW
@Meltac said:

" You should talk with Hamst3r from the site. "

This. Here's a link for ease of use.  

Also I would recommend a good USB keyboard, but that's just from my limited experience. The one I used had a pitch changer wheel on it, so I could do wobbly sounds by mashing my greasy palm up and down the wheel.  

I would also say that Garage Band is a damn good program. I would imagine it can cover what you need, at least at entry level. Plus I believe you can purchase more loops if you wish. 
Avatar image for jediknight00719
jediknight00719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By jediknight00719

I'm more of a hip-hop kind of guy, but making hip-hop and electronic are very similar. 

There are two things you should look at, first is an MPD.  I feel for making drum loops or manipulating samples that is key.  I have a Maschine (thats the name of the product) and its really good.  Real easy to use, hard to master, comes with 5 gb of samples but it pretty expensive ($600).  If you have the money laying around then get it.  But there are definitely other products you can use.

To create melody and stuff a good keyboard is good too.  I have a keyrig 49 by m-audio.  Pretty cheap and works well with GarageBand. 

I would say play with garageband right now and not invest in anything yet (you could get the keyboard its $100). To get samples just use the stock sounds in garageband, make them or use them from other songs you have heard them from (i don't think you have to deal with legal problems in the beginning just yet, unless you make an awesome song, but you can deal with that later), No matter how much equipment you get, it all comes down to creativity and that comes from you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Meltac said:
This. He music is very enjoyable to listen too.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By time allen

if you're thinking of going down the pro tools/logic route right away - don't. it's a complete mindfuck if you aren't already sure what 90% of the buttons do. garageband + audacity is a pretty good starting place in regards to software. it's pretty futile for me to try and fully explain sampling here (just google it - there are tons of comprehensive guides out there), but when you get comfortable with it, make sure that if you sample anything that was made and copyrighted by somebody else in a track of yours, give the track away free. it's very unlikely that you'll run into any problems if you make sure you don't charge for somebody else's work.

also: for hardware, i would recommend m-audio.

Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Heylook
@foggel: Basics that someone would want to make consumer grade elec. music (IMHO):

a 4 octave keyboard with no sound source (no sounds on the keyboard itself) with MIDI compatibility to talk to your computer. 
some type of mixer/USB/Firewire interface to connect to your MBP so you can plug your keyboard in via MIDI
two MIDI cables
^^^^
That's all the real hardware you will need (In my opinion, others will argue). Oh, and a nice pair of open headphones to mix with

As for software, Logic pro (not express, that's a rip off) is pretty fancy once you know how to use it. The amount of software instruments that come pre packaged is a good deal compared to Pro Tools. You could also check out Cubase or Fruity Loops, they all basically do the same thing but with a different work-flow. Garageband is basically Logic but free and not recognized as part of a professional digital audio workstation.

After you've got all of the above start spamming google with anything you can't figure out:P

I'm in my second year of audio engineering and that is my credibility, there's no ''right way'' to make music but all you need is a controller (keyboard), a sound source (garage band/logic) and a sequencer (garageband/logic) oh and some sort of USB interface to connect it all
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikevanpwn

I HAVE attempted to make my own music, but just am not technically inclined enough to do so.  I've used Fruity Loops Studio in the past which is a pretty robust music program.  Shadow Dancer made their first album entirely in FL Studio (although its not dubstep):

As for samples, you can cut samples from other music. Daft Punk did this heavily on their Discovery album, almost every song had some sort of sampling from disco songs.  You can also buy samples on sites like beatport if you're looking for something specific, they're a bit expensive and its probably best to just mess around with cutting them out of old tracks.  If your interested in FL or sampling PM me and I'll try to tell you  more, as I said I'm not very good with the program, but I've spent a lot of time in trying to learn it. lol

Also I'd recommend not going for any hardware while getting started as its pretty expensive.  I'll also suggest trying out mixing songs with DJ software first, it may help you get a better feel on how to make electronic music.  You can download the demo for Deckadance absolutely free, and its the entire program except they silence the player for a few seconds to prevent you from using the mixer in live shows.   

As I said I have no musical expertise but I follow electronic music pretty closely.  I've made a couple mixes with Deckadance in the past and if you are interested you can listen to them HERE. Or below: 

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Interfect
@foggel:  

At school I use reason. I really like it.
Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

i occassionally, when i have the tools, diddle around with synths and what not. I do help friends trying to record music as a drummer, but other than that, my stuff is just... i mess around :P

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I always write think of songs and music, but I have nothing to bring it all to life. It sucks. I have these great images in my mind that I can't do anything with.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i think you should start off with garage band and audicity. i made some good songs with garage band. i used audicity for editing the music. it comes with windows and mac version, just FYI for other people reading this.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Meltac said:
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I've written and performed a whole rock/alternative album with my friends, and I've also helped with some beat production and lyrics for some other friends that rap.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also recently got a MacBook Pro along with Logic Studio with the intentions of using it to write music. Having used FL Studio to write multiple songs I figured it would be fairly easy for me to get into Logic...I was wrong. Logic is incredibly deep and takes a really long time to even start to grasp. I have been reading about it, watching videos, and just playing around with for about 2 months now and I am only starting to get an idea everything that can be done with it. I would say stick with Garage Band for a while and get a USB keyboard to use with it. Once you get a hang for that you can move on up to Logic. I would suggest that you get the full studio edition of Logic when you do though since it comes with all five JamPacks which are worth the $500 price tag alone. As far as dubstep goes you can check out this video and the others that go along with it. The guy that made the videos used Reason but many of the things he talks about can be applied to any DAW.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By foggel

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers :) 

@Meltac: I guess I'll bother him if I get desperate enough hehe!  
@Ahmad_Metallic: For now, I atleast feel that I have the creativity in me... I might be proven otherwise though. 
@DanielJW: Ok, so it's called a pitch changer? Thanks :) I'll look it up.  
@jediknight00719: Thanks. 600 is too much to spend at this moment. But I'll google around for a good beginners MPD. If I ever feel that whatever I use limits my creativity, I guess I'll look into it :) Thanks for the keyboard tip. Yeah, I'm not going to buy something expensive so I'll look at the one you have.  
@Toms115: I'm not trying to make it as a musician and making money out of it, so giving my songs away for free won't be a problem :) If I ever make songs that people appreciate I guess that's enough for me.  
@Heylook: Cool, thanks. I won't ever buy express then.And I'll check out the other programs. Have you made anything btw? 
@mikevanpwn:
 Impressive! As I'm writing this I'm 16 minutes into the first mix. Think I'll check out Deckadance. Hey if I need help I'll send you a PM. Thanks! (I'm now listening to your second song. 2 minutes in, love the bass)
@Interfect: At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but then I realized that it probably was a program. Hehe, thanks :) 
@nofx4208: Hehe. How's it going in your pursuit to become a director? Made anything yet? 
@AlwaysAngry: Me too. That is why I'm trying to learn this crap haha. 
@iam3green: I usually use audacity to make ringtones, but I think I'll use it to cut up songs. 
@InfamousBIG: Awesome. Do you have a myspace? 
@hematurge: Thanks. Have you uploaded your stuff to the internet? 
@zAMERICANLIONz: Thanks for the link. Really helpful :) Have you made anything yet?

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FCKSNAP
It looks like you're pretty covered TC/OP, I can't really help you beyond what's already posted!  

@Ahmad_Metallic:
 You should get a book of scales to accompany a book of chords (if you don't already have one). Practice those scales over and over until you get a feeling for which ones you feel the most comfortable with. After that each written song should be confined to a single scale in the beginning, once you get better with scales and song writing it should come naturally. This is the advice I've received a few months ago and it's coming along nicely for me! :) Not that I've written any songs but my playing in general is getting better.
Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foggel: No problem, and not yet. I am still working my way through all the plugins and virtual instruments to find the stuff I want to use.  I have a lot of work ahead of me though since a friend of my wants me to record electronic versions of all the music for her wedding.  Once I finish that task I will get back into the routine of churning out a song every week or so. I still need to figure out what genre I want to explore first since there are so many options.
Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@foggel: XD you remembered! actually, I have made a... commercial/music video, and I am currently making a short, short movie about a man trying to return his PS3... yup. I already got a special intro that... well... I'll send it to you when I can upload it... it's amazing. 

here's that commercial/music video :P   

also, on subject, I got a keyboard! I know some scales (from high school marching band), so I'm messing around a bit more. I'm trying to learn House of the Rising Sun by The Animals! It's batshit hard! I'll get there :P played for 5 years until my teacher died... she could barely see, last time i remember :( 

this got sad, huh?
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By foggel
@nofx4208: Haha, yeah I'm a godamn elephant when it comes to memory. Nice video, I bet with some practice you'll be able to make it a career ;) Waiting in excitement for your short movie then. 

Sorry to hear about your teacher... *awkward silence* ... so what else is new?
frythefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By frythefly

Hi,

try this: 
http://audiotool.com/. Free. Works in your browser. Great Emulations (303, 808). Good Samples. MP3/Ogg export coming soon. Sequencer functionality. Unfortunately no guide for now. Check out this user created song: 
http://audiotool.com/app/dubtexno/0 allday long dub.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Snapstacle said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: You should get a book of scales to accompany a book of chords (if you don't already have one). Practice those scales over and over until you get a feeling for which ones you feel the most comfortable with. After that each written song should be confined to a single scale in the beginning, once you get better with scales and song writing it should come naturally. This is the advice I've received a few months ago and it's coming along nicely for me! :) Not that I've written any songs but my playing in general is getting better. "
I appreciate the advice, but really all i want to do is play my favorite metal songs and ive no further interest in the instrument 
thanks though
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By habster3
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"I just dont have the creativity in me..  I learn how to play rock/metal songs on my electric guitar via tabs, and i can play hundreds of em, but writing stuff myself is meh ! "

You're just the exact opposite of me; I haven't learned guitar, yet I write plenty of music (Mainly extreme metal stuff)
Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers