• 65 results
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By DrRandle

I'm just curious, and kind of bored. Definitely tired. But I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who and was wondering if anybody out there keeps up on the show? I'm currently making my way through the back-catalog (I'm on John Pertwee), thanks to Netflix, but I'm also keeping up with the modern show. I'm very much looking forward to the End of Time. Anybody have thoughts they'd like to share on this? Love to get a bit of a dialog going.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By rinkalicous

I missed that one-off from a while back. Could someone sum it up in like, 4 sentences? All the descriptions I find online are way too in depth for me to care reading.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DrRandle
@Rinkalicous: which one-off? Planet of the Dead? Waters of Mars? The Next Doctor?
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

If you're British then it's more then likely that you are to some extent. I never got into myself but I do know a fair bit about it.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

There was some random CGI version on today, dreamland maybe, it was pretty terrible.
I think alot of it was down the cheap CGI, makes me wonder where license money goes.

korkesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By korkesh

I must say that David Tennet, the tenth doctor, is my favourite rendition so far. and yes i am a huge fan.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rinkalicous
@DrRandle: Wait what? I've missed more then I realised it seems.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed
@Ineedaname:
i saw like 2 minutes of it also and wanted to punch myself in the face. 

to the question though, I watch it, I have watched it in the past (older doctors before the revival), I enjoy it  but I could never really call myself a "fan" of it. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I love the modern doctor who's but I've only seen a few bits & pieces of the older ones because they were before my time. My favourite episode of the new ones is "Blink". That was scary, even to me as an adult. It was fantastic.

Don't blink, don't even blink, blink and you're dead! They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink!!!!

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By cap123

watched it since eccleston, and i've seen alot of the old one's since. My favourite series ever... am not looking forward to christmas though, i hope the series doesn't start sucking :'(

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By raidingkvatch
@eroticfishcake said:
" If you're British then it's more then likely that you are to some extent. I never got into myself but I do know a fair bit about it. "
Pretty much this. I'll watch it if it's opn, but I don't go out of my way, the Torchwood spin-off thing was absolute balls though.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fynne

I stopped watching after the guy with the big, long scarf left.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

As the BBC's flagship show, Dr. Who just looks and feels embarrassingly cheap. After watching American produced sci-fi for years, Dr. Who feels like a student project.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy

I love Doctor Who, by the time I was born it was done (born in 1990) but I watched it all the time as a kid even getting up at 5am on a sunday to watch it on UK Gold lol Im hooked on the new series as well, there are very few shows I actually watch on TV (there are some TV shows I like but only enough to wait and get on DVD or watch it at 2am on the internet) but I cant wait to watch this. Im going and buying a lot of the DVD's of the original series (though they do seem a bit overpriced compared to other TV series) and its freaking awesome!

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By laticsfan
@MattyFTM said:
" I love the modern doctor who's but I've only seen a few bits & pieces of the older ones because they were before my time. My favourite episode of the new ones is "Blink". That was scary, even to me as an adult. It was fantastic.

Don't blink, don't even blink, blink and you're dead! They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink!!!! "
Yes, just yes! This is exactly what I came into this thread to post, that episode was amazing. Not only extrememly interesting (and scary) "baddies", but a great story line with the DVD's and what not.
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Manatassi
@HandsomeDead 

The whole thing with Dr. Who is its not supposed to be serious, its designed to be something for parents and kids to sit and have fun watching as a family for the most part. I think allot of people like that it isn't too dark and heavy with its subject matter.  

British people don't seem to take their sci-fi overly seriously in general. Its a shame really because allot of British TV is among the best in the world when it comes to drama, but the sci-fi always comes out a bit kitch and silly.
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Griddler
@MattyFTM said:

" I love the modern doctor who's but I've only seen a few bits & pieces of the older ones because they were before my time. My favourite episode of the new ones is "Blink". That was scary, even to me as an adult. It was fantastic.

Don't blink, don't even blink, blink and you're dead! They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink!!!! "

I agree! I love that episode and it was really well written. I found that episode scarier than any of the episodes that are actively trying to be scary (Like the latest one or the one with the weird demon on Mars)

@HandsomeDead: Yes it is cheap, which is one of the things that made the 'Blink' episode so great because it created all the atmosphere with words not bad make up and CGI. There are other British shows that are doing amazing things with small budgets (see the fantastic Misfits). Doctor Who is also hugely popular with children which may contribute to the show's corny/immature feel. I feel this will only get worse when this new, young Doctor replaces David Tennant in a few episodes time.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ghostiet
@HandsomeDead said:
" As the BBC's flagship show, Dr. Who just looks and feels embarrassingly cheap. After watching American produced sci-fi for years, Dr. Who feels like a student project. "
But it's obviously the point of the series - show you embarassing vacuum cleaners like the Daleks as deadly enemies of a neurotic guy in a suit. Some buy it, some not.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Alexander

I really don't get the appeal myself. Not for me.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cap123
@HandsomeDead: yeah of course, no one thinks it's a fantastic example of modern technology by any means. But it has so much heart and character, and history. Alot of american produced sci-fi seems very cold to me, alot of them rely too much on realism for scares and the easy 'what if' scenario.

The great thing about doctor who is it's so not just 'sci-fi', star trek or anything like that is sci-fi down to the ground, the main thing is always fighting aliens or at least the episode is about this specific type of alien and what challenges it offers the crew. Doctor Who never sticks to anything and therefore the doctor has gone through so many personas and personalities that it would be impossible to stick to any kind of archetype. I mean, his millenium falcon is a phone box, his super mega blaster that rips aliens apart is... a screwdriver. It is cheesy, and silly, and definitly not sci-fi. 

that wasn't a rant directed at you btw lol, just love me some doctor who! :)]

edit: this guy sums up what i mean in a way more coherent way! -

"Thanks to BBC America and Who spinoffs like Torchwood, the Doctor’s growing popularity here in the States may signal a dawning recognition that size and might and flash aren’t everything — that there are less bombastic futures to contemplate, that sci-fi can be elegiac without the boom and bust of dystopia. Perhaps we can appreciate a complicated hero and some tricked-out trash cans instead of relying on gi-normous, eye-stabbing “set pieces.” Join me, my Yankee brethren. There’s plenty of room in the Tardis — maybe even enough for two ex-empires on their way to the Great Beyond."
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Alexander said:
" I really don't get the appeal myself. Not for me. "
Everyone assumes I must like it because I'm British but I'm with Alexander here.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Manatassi said:
" @HandsomeDead  The whole thing with Dr. Who is its not supposed to be serious, its designed to be something for parents and kids to sit and have fun watching as a family for the most part. I think allot of people like that it isn't too dark and heavy with its subject matter.    British people don't seem to take their sci-fi overly seriously in general. Its a shame really because allot of British TV is among the best in the world when it comes to drama, but the sci-fi always comes out a bit kitch and silly. "
I understand that it's not meant to be serious, but when you take a comedic sci-fi show like A Town Called Eureka and then you look at Dr. Who, which has probably the biggest budget of all BBC shows, the difference is massive. It just ruins anything the show tries to do for me. Like with Blink, I watched that and thought it was OK but everything looked so plastic and poorly made that I couldn't get into it.

Also, what British drama do you recommend? As a Brit, I'm trying to think of a good series and I'm drawing a blank meanwhile HBO, as a single channel, has many that instantly come to mind.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ahriman22

I remember watching an episode back in Grade 8 or so and really liked it. Unfortunately I don't remember the episode title and the amount of other shows and movies I need to watch are just piling up. I know I'll eventually watch it though, it's just a question of when.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust

No Caption Provided
Back in my youth I remember watching every episode of the Tom Baker run religiously on channel 9 WOR New York.  After he left, I moved on to other shows, but over the last year or so, I've watched a reasonable chunk of the David Tennant episodes airing on SyFy and BBC America.  They're pretty good, but like all good Doctors, I hear he's been (or will be) replaced too.  Anyway, rolling trashcans with plungers protruding from their fronts will always be menacing to me thanks to my fandom for The Doctor.
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrRandle
@cap123: Stephen Moffat is taking over for the next season. He wrote Blink, The Empty Child, and The Library. We're in good hands.

Oh he also wrote The Curse of Fatal Death, well before the show was revived.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crunchUK

Dr who would be extremely good if they didn't always try and find the corniest possible ending for each episode

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By izzygraze

Only the modern one. I tried to watch some of the one with the celery stick but it was too serious, corny, and kind of badly acted by the supporting cast. I will try the one with the scarf next, I hear he is kind of good.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scooper

Awful acting, terrible scripts, unconvincing makeup, lame costumes and never funny or scary. So no, I am not a fan.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryoma122

i realy only like tenant and ecalstan dont no if i spelt that rite but after that i doubt ill watch it after this year  

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Doctor Who?

See what I did tharr?

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By halberdierv2

yes, but I havent watched it in a looooong time.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seedofpower

My gf is a fan, and she is all kinds of hyped for End of Time. I really don't know much about the show other than the current Dr. Who is cute.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Linkyshinks

I was raised on it. Not a fan of the new stuff.

ThePsychoGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ThePsychoGamer

I didn't get into it till about two seasons ago, i enjoy it as a fun little distraction, though i'm not going to watch any of the past dr. who.

now a related and funny video to alienates most of the people who are fans and is yet very funny

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hunkaburningluv

I'm a reasonably big fan of the modern Dr. Who, but I love the Torchwood spin off. 

Both of which are going to be drastically changed (if Torchwood comes back at all) since Tennant is leaving, i dunno how I will take to a new Doctor.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thebatmobile

Wow, this thread was old. But it seems topical to revive it now that Season 7 is almost upon us! Hopefully some of you duders are still fans.

I made a poster in celebration of the long-awaited new season, check it out here

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tylea002

Loved me the Russell T Davies era, flaws and all, but I cannot seem to give a shit at all anymore. Steven Moffat's a good writer, but he's a terrible showrunner, there's no one to reign his crazy silly ideas in, and his episodes don't tonally fit in with the others in the season at all. His only good character is Rory, and he's only good in episodes written by others (Amy's choice, The Doctor's Wife), where they deconstruct the effects of the weird writing in those main episodes.

So yep, I await the day they switch creative teams and doctors again, because currently, show does nothing for me.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only watched the modern Doctor Who's(9-11) and missed the past two series, but I love Doctor Who. Gonna miss Rory and Amy when the new series starts, easily my favorite companions since Rose.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Genkkaku

@Tylea002 said:

Loved me the Russell T Davies era, flaws and all, but I cannot seem to give a shit at all anymore. Steven Moffat's a good writer, but he's a terrible showrunner, there's no one to reign his crazy silly ideas in, and his episodes don't tonally fit in with the others in the season at all. His only good character is Rory, and he's only good in episodes written by others (Amy's choice, The Doctor's Wife), where they deconstruct the effects of the weird writing in those main episodes.

So yep, I await the day they switch creative teams and doctors again, because currently, show does nothing for me.

Yes! another Rory lover! (okay that sounds a little extreme but you get my point)..

I do miss Davies, even tho I did find some of his stuff a little cheesier than Moffat.. I really like what Moffat did with Sherlock and I think his Run so far has produced some really good interesting stuff, but yes when he goes to crazy and over the top, everybody loses, he did do better work under Davis, and his expansion on the Weeping Angels diminished there impact.. I'm hoping all the super crazy River Song stuff is behind him and the Doctor's remark at the end of season 6 means smaller more self contained adventures here on out, also a new companion can't hurt..

Keavy_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Keavy_Rain

I blasted through the first two seasons on Netflix, got burned out midway through Season 3, but got a free episode of Season Six on iTunes and just bought the Season 6 pack and a Season 7 Part 1 pass on iTunes.

I'll eventually return to three and watch through five, but Six has secured me as a Who fan.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By Dagbiker

Probably posted in this thread before. But yes. I am.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FunkyHugo

Yep, pretty big fan of that silly show. I am sad to see The Ponds leave, but in Moffat I trust. That man is an ingenious bastard.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#44  Edited By pyromagnestir

I don't want Amy Pond to go, god damnit! I enjoy seeing Karen Gillan all HD'ified on my televisionthingamajig way to much to have her go!

That's probably the most pathetic thing I've ever written. Still, it's true.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 49th

I watched the first season of the new Doctor Who with the shaved head guy but I just found it not really to my tastes. Lame enemies and low budget costumes and effects don't really do anything for me. I think Daleks are the most boring enemies ever, now they are bringing them back for the 500th time.

I wish I did like Doctor Who because it seems to have lots of stuff to like about it but naw.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By FLStyle

Big fan of the 10th doctor era (Tennant and Davies), but I feel like Moffat's biggest accomplishment in the 11th Doctor era so far has been River Song rather than anything to do with Smith.

It may not happen this time around by maybe next year I'd like to see a longer over-arching story that's a little more grounded and character driven rather than lots of one-off adventures with a finale that's breaks all sorts of laws of time and space.

Last season's finale was a little too much for me and it kinda made one of my 10th doctor's favourite moments, David Tennant's "The Timelord Victorious" actions and final speech, a bit redundant.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tallTuck94

I used to like Dr Who until Moffat got obsessed with River Song. I fucking hate Song, she's a complete Mary Sue and completely ruined Dr Who for me.

However I still think that the episode "Blink" is one of the best things created for TV ever and I still watch it every now and again.

Only a fan of the new stuff though, I really can't get past how badly made the old stuff is compared to the new stuff.

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Wesker411

Love it, David Tennant was by far my favorite. Wasn't too hot on Matt Smith to begin with, but he grew on me. He had some pretty big shoes to fill imo. I think I was just so disappointed to see Tennant leave that it took me that much longer to warm up to Smith. Anyone have a date on the new season?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I would probably watch it if it had the CSI theme at the start.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DeF

@pyromagnestir said:

I don't want Amy Pond to go, god damnit! I enjoy seeing Karen Gillan all HD'ified on my televisionthingamajig way to much to have her go!

That's probably the most pathetic thing I've ever written. Still, it's true.

I feel ya ... I did not expect to get so attached to that ...ummm... character :)

but ... SATURDAY!!! wooo series 7!

@Wesker411 said:

Love it, David Tennant was by far my favorite. Wasn't too hot on Matt Smith to begin with, but he grew on me. He had some pretty big shoes to fill imo. I think I was just so disappointed to see Tennant leave that it took me that much longer to warm up to Smith. Anyone have a date on the new season?

Right after the regeneration when Matt first appeared as the Doctor I hated him, I found him way too goofy. In retrospect I think that was because it clashed with the "end" of Tennant and the emotions surrounding that way too much. It messed up both moments by taking you out of the sadness of seeing Tennant go and his Doctor die and then it didn't let you fully appreciate Smith as the new Doctor.

I took a few months off and didn't really plan on picking it back up but then I missed it too much and I had seen some images of Amy Pond and could not resist ... for some reason I was sold on Matt Smith as the Doctor from the very first proper episode of series 5. They delivered some truly awesome stuff in that time so I don't regret checking out the new Doc at all. I think no other show has made me cry that often. I don't even know how they're doing it but my tear ducts get a pretty regular workout with Doctor Who lol.