Anyone have experience with anxiety?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I don't know if anyone has any experience with this type of anxiety or just anxiety in general, but I am getting frustrated with it. See, I have this thing where I constantly think when I buy things, there's small imperfections or its defective and it makes me constantly think I got screwed and it bothers me to the point of sometimes making me sick. I know I have anxiety and OCD, but I never was sure what kind this particular anxiety was.

For example, I just bought a Chicago Bulls lanyard for my keys, but after getting home with it I then noticed that on one of the several "Chicago Bulls" logo's that it had like a split on the print. (It's most likely a defect in the printing.) it basically looks like a slash on the logo. But it's only on one of the logos on the lanyard and its on the inside. But it's bugging me to no end even though no one might even notice it and my brother said it didn't look bad. But again, it bugs me because of the anxiety.

Another example is I bought a otterbox defender case for my ipad mini. Everything was perfect with it, but after a week I noticed the bottom of the case making a kinda creaking noise when I grip the bottom. That then lead me to take it off and put it back on a few times (probaly due to my OCD) I had to make sure it was perfect. Eventually I got it to where everything seems fine except a slight creak when I squeeze the top. Or my kindle where I thought my kindles text was washed out or when my 3DS screen was crooked.

This is just a few examples of many where I just have to have everything perfect or else I feel I got screwed and it just eats at me until it makes me physical ill or saps my energy. It's really effecting my life. I am seeing a psychiatrist for depression, and that's pretty under control. Does anyone have experience with anxiety or anything like this that can offer some advice or feedback.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

It sounds more like the OCD. Your obsessing over small details. It might not be the thing you want to hear but you can get meds that help. 

I used to have real bad anxiety. Like I bought an Iphone and literly 5 hours in I sat staring at it on my desk thinking about how much I DIDNT use it and the waste of money and how will  I pay rent and it just spiraled.  

Ive lost sleep worrying over stupid little things. 

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By dungbootle

I am like that too. Have this affected you for most of your life (though I don't think that would really matter)? You should mention it to your psychiatrist either way. It can really interfere in your day-to-day life.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

Damn, now that's a long paragraph and a lot of sentences starting with 'but'. Anyways, no, I don't have anxiety, though I am in the same boat when it comes to keeping some thing clean and tidy. When I'm cleaning something, and I put something next to another thing, I have to have it in the perfect place or it bothers me.

Edit - Fixed.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By EpicSteve

I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which is classified as an anxiety disorder. This disorder goes into a number of issues that range in severity. After struggling for awhile, I adopted a new life philosophy, "STOP THINKING!". That may sound silly, but it helps in all aspects in my life. If you can't control something, throw your hands in the air and say "fuck it!". I promise your stress levels will plummet.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By VoshiNova

@EpicSteve: It's absolutely exhilarating to hear someone else say this. "Stop Thinking" is something I've heard many times and it took me awhile to actually practice my ability to let go. I don't have anything as serious as PTSD, but my daily anxiety problems all stem from the fact that I over think. Also, sup EpicSteve!

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword

I just never know what's a legitimate concern or just anxiety panic. I also have hypochondria I think in some form. I constantly think I have health problems. Wether it's with my brain, feet, insides, or whatever. But it's never anything. Seems I freak over every little ache and pain. And I catastrophize a lot of things. I know it's all in my head. At least, I think it is.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hitchenson

I've got OCD and recurrent unipolar, so yep, I've got experience in dealing with anxiety. Although it's 1am and I'm shattered, so I'll have to come back and edit this post with "tips" and the such tomorrow.

Just as an example of how bad it was at a point, I didn't sleep in my bed for nearly a year because I couldn't bring myself to crease the duvet.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By L44

@EpicSteve said:

I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which is classified as an anxiety disorder. This disorder goes into a number of issues that range in severity. After struggling for awhile, I adopted a new life philosophy, "STOP THINKING!". That may sound silly, but it helps in all aspects in my life. If you can't control something, throw your hands in the air and say "fuck it!". I promise your stress levels will plummet.

On the money, I get pretty bad anxiety and just have to remind myself that what happens, happens.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By paulwade1984

My girlfriend is constantly worried that our little boy is gonna die. Cancer, brain tumour, car accident, suffocation. You name it. She's currently seeing occupational therapist. Probably gonna get the happy pills.

My best mate got ptsd after our tour of Afghanistan. He regressed into a sobbing little boy one night and we had to carry him across to medical wing. We never saw him again. He was medically discharged after a period of recovery.

My advice. You gotta say "fuck it". let everything wash over you. Take 5 mins when you're lying in bed and just think through everything that's bothering you. Never try to ignore it. If all else fails. Just pack up some gear. Withdraw as much cash as you can . Then jump to next plane to Hawaii and live on a beach.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I've got an aunt who's currently living on disability due to 'anxiety disorder.'

She used to be a normal person, she went to cosmetology school and worked in a salon for a living. She quit her job and quickly cycled through a dozen or so, quitting due to 'personality conflicts.' She's just really bad at getting along with others, and she blames her anxiety. She's gained weight- I'd put her at 300-350 points at this point (she was probably a healthy 150 or so ten years ago). Now she won't even drive on the freeway because she's too scared to drive that fast. When her husband was having chest pains and needed to go to the hospital, she had to call a ride because she's too scared to drive. My mom (her sister) has no idea what happened to her. Actually- it all started around the time my dad died of cancer- after that, she's gone nutty. My mother and I were the ones who were affected by it, and we both turned out fine, so I don't know what her deal is.

And that's what scares me. Am I a ticking time bomb? Am I one day going to snap and end up like her? I do everything I can to prevent that. If I feel like something scares me- I fucking do it twice.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

Nothing is perfect. Accept it and move on.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SSully

@EpicSteve said:

I am a big fan of the "fuck it" philosophy. I am pretty relaxed with most things, but every so often I will stress over something dumb like money. If you can rationalize that what you are worrying about really isn't that big of a deal, just say fuck it and move on.

pakalolobro420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pakalolobro420

was a bit lng dude but i cnt say i know much about that

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ravensword

@TooWalrus said:

I've got an aunt who's currently living on disability due to 'anxiety disorder.'

She used to be a normal person, she went to cosmetology school and worked in a salon for a living. She quit her job and quickly cycled through a dozen or so, quitting due to 'personality conflicts.' She's just really bad at getting along with others, and she blames her anxiety. She's gained weight- I'd put her at 300-350 points at this point (she was probably a healthy 150 or so ten years ago). Now she won't even drive on the freeway because she's too scared to drive that fast. When her husband was having chest pains and needed to go to the hospital, she had to call a ride because she's too scared to drive. My mom (her sister) has no idea what happened to her. Actually- it all started around the time my dad died of cancer- after that, she's gone nutty. My mother and I were the ones who were affected by it, and we both turned out fine, so I don't know what her deal is.

And that's what scares me. Am I a ticking time bomb? Am I one day going to snap and end up like her? I do everything I can to prevent that. If I feel like something scares me- I fucking do it twice.

I doubt it. Ive actually read a few things, and Anxiety is all mental it seems. I try to practice mindfulness, which helps it seems.

I mean, my mother cant drive on freeways because she had a traumatizing experince where she broke down and was stranded in a busy tunnel with fast cars zooming by her. It could all depend on how we mentally process those certain things that happen to us.

But like I said, im still struggling with it. And I constantly call service hotlines because I think the stuff I buy is defective or that its broken if I drop it just a bit or something.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HerbieBug

Have you ever tried, or thought about trying, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)? I have OCD as well and found that CBT, in combination with my meds, has helped quite a bit for the OCD related stuff. Maybe ask your psychiatrist about it?

Take care. :)

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Tireyo

Sounds more like OCD.

I have really bad anxiety and depression, but I do try and control it without meds and doing good with it! I tend to worry about everything when I don't need to, and the depression comes from my very low self-esteem and from the death of my dad. I'm having to learn things quick and hard without him around, and it's really affected me mentally.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have a social anxiety but I really don't like to talk about my problems

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JasonR86

@Raven_Sword:

I get what you're saying. It's sort of like a more dramatic version of buyer's remorse right? I get that when I buy expensive items. I'm a wreck when I buy cars or when I bought my house. I think the issue is unique to you. I would suggest talking with your doctor to see what he suggests. My issue is that I feel like I'm making a mistake spending so much money on something when I could get something that was adequate for cheaper. I think about all the things that money would be better used for (unfortunately I would stress about buying those other things too).

I usually get over this stress by then seeing all the cool things about whatever I bought and rationalizing with myself with phrases like "I need 'x' so it's ok that I bought what I bought" or "What I bought was high quality so it was worth the price" or whatever else I need to do to make myself feel better. Eventually, like everything else, with time that stress goes away. When you're having this anxiety what do you do to calm yourself or when do you realize that the anxiety is going away? I know it is easier to remember when you are anxious but at some point that anxiety must, at least, lessen right? What are you doing when it lessens? What have you said to yourself or what do you think or feel that leads to you feeling better? I think if you can replicate what you do when your anxiety lessens earlier that anxiety would be easier to manage.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rollingzeppelin

You won't get any useful answers unless you get a professional opinion. People not trained in the field have no idea what they're talking about.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JasonR86

@RollingZeppelin said:

You won't get any useful answers unless you get a professional opinion. People not trained in the field have no idea what they're talking about.

AHEM.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus

@Raven_Sword said:

I mean, my mother cant drive on freeways because she had a traumatizing experince where she broke down and was stranded in a busy tunnel with fast cars zooming by her. It could all depend on how we mentally process those certain things that happen to us.

My mom and aunt have a similar deal- they were crossing the street one time when they were like 10 and 12, and my mom was walking her bike when a speeding car plowed into the front of her bike and tore her arm off. Almost completely, her bones were shattered and her arm was just hanging by muscle & skin- the doctors told her she was most likely going to lose her arm, but by some medical miracle they were able to repair it with metal plates and shit- she's got a giant scar to this day but it's only noticeable if you're looking for it. Know what she does for a living? She's a nurse in the emergency room who's just about to get her masters and become a physicians assistance. Her sister who witnessed it is the one who won't even drive- it's like she's seen bad things happen to other people, now she'll barely leave the house. And it's pathetic- she's scared of health stuff like cancer but she eats nothing but garbage and doesn't ever exercise. It's like she doesn't even care, but she cares WAY WAY too much at the same time. It pisses me off because I know she wasn't like this ten years ago, and I always tell my little brother if he starts living that life, I'm gonna smack some sense into him.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

I would suggest seeing a doctor. I have parinoa of people. mostly because due to my Aspurgers I cant tell if people like me or not.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@JasonR86 said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

AHEM.

Well, this thread's not exactly a clinical setting is it?

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shorap

I've had anxiety stemming from OCD for about 12 years now, initially starting with thinking I was choking whenever I ate (went from 165 to 135 in a month...not good). Over the decade it's manifested more into an obsessive nervousness-to-fear of driving alone in wide open spaces (middle of nowhere areas...not good considering I live in Wyoming).

It's gotten better, both from being used to it over the decade, better handling anxiety when it surfaces, eating/living better, going to a psychiatrist, medication, etc. I'll echo who others have written here and recommend you get professional help and make sure to mention what symptoms you're having as medicating anxiety from OCD is different than anxiety from depression.

Lastly, you might be able to get righted from the medication and may be able to live the rest of your life without incident but just remember that there is no shame in taking mental health medication for the long haul if you have to. It's the same as having to take diabetes medication, heart medication, etc.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JasonR86

@RollingZeppelin said:

@JasonR86 said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

AHEM.

Well, this thread's not exactly a clinical setting is it?

No I just have a cough that's all.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@JasonR86: Well then, excuse you.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ravensword

I have heard some horror stories about mental health mess potential side effects. People pretty much being zombies when there taking it.

TheFreepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheFreepie

@Raven_Sword: The list of "potential side effects" of the average anti depressant range from increased sex drive to wanting to take your own life (yeah, I'm serious).

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Vinny_Says

My experience is only with selling anti-anxiety meds to people. The most popular one prescribed is Lorazepam so you could go look it up. See if some of the side effects are worth the trouble.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uhtaree

Yeah, kinda. In the past if was buying a hat and there was a row of 7-5/8s, I'd go through all of them to find the most pristine one. If I'm at the store and I'm buying anything with circuitry, I'll reach back and get the one behind the front one on the shelf. I had a revelation a few months ago, however, when I got a hat at a Finish Line and they were behind the counter, so I had to ask the dude for it. When I got home with the hat it had loose threads on the outer edge in several places, at first I was going through what you are describing, then I just decided to let go. I didn't take the hat back, I didn't take a lighter to singe the threads down or snip them down or anything, I just ignore them, the hat is not gonna break, the hat is not gonna last forever regardless of the loose threads, the hat will most likely become too groady to wear long before it stars to unravel or anything like that. The trick for me has become just figure out what you like. If there's a product you're interested in, chances are other people are interested in it too, they're gonna keep making them. Not everything is a rare out-of-print collector's item.

Lately I've been trying to just take the first product off the rack after watching the way my more care-free brother shops, just tossing whatevs into the cart in a "oops, now the bread is smashed" kinda way. Maybe try getting stuff you are interested in online where you don't have the final say of which specific item to fuss over, I mean these products are theoretically inspected and quality tested, right? If you find something you don't like online, let everyone else know by writing a scathing review, that's the way I've been dealing with some OCD-ness about products recently.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By egg

There's a lot of pressure when you pay for a new product for it to be perfect. I think it's best to account for it before you buy the product, to save yourself some headache. It's why for instance it's best to try a product out before you buy it. And take into account "worst case scenario" - "what would I have to find wrong with the product for me to regret buying it" vs. the likelyhood vs. the amount of money spent.

It's actually why I liked used systems in a way, because you can expect wear on it and therefore don't have to grieve over it. You can also use the system without having to be careful. Strictly in terms of functionality, in this sense used products are actually better than new!

I have OCD myself. Sometimes I add to defects in stuff I own as a result. For example the other day I added wear to a fresh comic book by wiping the outside binding back and forth with my finger. I earlier damaged another comic by trying to scratch off a speck that was on it. I wanted to make sure it wasn't physically protruding, as opposed to a stain or something. (if I was the one who made the speck, I probably wouldn't even bother. But I noticed the speck even before I bought the comic)

I see functionality as trumping aesthetics. Aesthetics only matter when it overlaps with functionality. Again I have OCD, but it's a lot easier to cope when I isolate what it is that actually bothers me, as opposed to things like wear, which is strictly aesthetic and doesn't affect me.

Screen fading is definitely aggravating. There's nothing wrong in any case, as far as I'm concerned, in trying to verify whether this is actually happening or whether it's just your imagination. Consider it a scientific pursuit. Same goes for anything. I don't see obsessing over something you already know about as even being in the same category as trying to verify whether or not, or exactly what, is happening, whether obsessively or non-obsessively. For example if Apple touts their new "retina display" and you were to look at the old and new screen trying to tell the difference.. that's not unhealthy! That's what you're supposed to do!

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fetchfox

@Raven_Sword: My symptoms are not at your level, but I've often found myself repeating patterns in every aspect of daily life (hit a door with one knee, touch it with the other etc.). What I've always found helpful though is breaking the patterns in small ways, which I've been doing over several years. To not always walk to the beat of the music or repeat a physical pattern made up in my mind. It will be really difficult to do so, but try to break your habits slowly, step by step. Over time you'll feel more relaxed and find that you're more excepting over the little things than you previously were. Best of luck.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By habster3

I have extreme problems with anxiety, along with some other mental issues.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Hizang

@Raven_Sword: I'm currently on medication for this, I assumed I was suffering with depression but I'm actually suffering with an anxiety disorder.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vikingdeath1

@RollingZeppelin said:

this.

but in the spirit of "I wanna comment too";

that's OCD my friend, my parents sent me to multiple psychiatrists as a kid because "something was wrong with me" but i've learned to live with it, and acknowledge that the fact that that poster on my wall is a little uneven compared to the one next to it is completely unimportant!.............................. i'm still gonna fix the poster though....

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HerbieBug

@Vinny_Says said:

My experience is only with selling anti-anxiety meds to people. The most popular one prescribed is Lorazepam so you could go look it up. See if some of the side effects are worth the trouble.

Whoa hang on there, let's not be going straight to benzodiazepines, yeah? Those are for acute anxiety. With OCD the general strategy is to start with a low dosage of SSRI antidepressants.

Please do not base your decision on medications based on some vague rumours you may have read. This is a discussion you should have with your doctor/psychiatrist.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Benny

I have terrible anxiety issues around people but nothing like what you describe related to minutiae and the fear of things breaking. I think you need to think about what the absolute worst that can happen is and understand it's not that big of a deal. I get a terrible knotted feeling in my stomach (like it's a towel being wrung out) when I know I have to deal with a lot of people but it keeps me focused and alert (gets the adrenaline pumping) and as a result I remember more and memorise it quicker. Something like fight, rather than flight I guess, and my anxiety fuels it.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bennyboy

When I buy a video game at the store, I look at the first few copies on the shelf and pick the one with the fewest creases/scuffs/signs of wear, compare it to all the other copies to double check that it's the one in the best condition, then take it and bring it to the register. After that I have to touch the cash register person's right shoulder five times before swiping my debit card.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By theguy

@Raven_Sword said:

I just never know what's a legitimate concern or just anxiety panic. I also have hypochondria I think in some form. I constantly think I have health problems. Wether it's with my brain, feet, insides, or whatever. But it's never anything. Seems I freak over every little ache and pain. And I catastrophize a lot of things. I know it's all in my head. At least, I think it is.

Go and get officially diagnosed. You can't do anything until you actually know what you're dealing with.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Vinny_Says

@HerbieBug said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Whoa hang on there, let's not be going straight to benzodiazepines, yeah? Those are for acute anxiety. With OCD the general strategy is to start with a low dosage of SSRI antidepressants.

Please do not base your decision on medications based on some vague rumours you may have read. This is a discussion you should have with your doctor/psychiatrist.

well I'm not a doctor and I don't know the OP. I'm just relaying to him what I see on the daily regarding anxiety (as the topic suggests). I'm glad we have a wonderful doctor like HerbieBug here who has already diagnosed mr. raven sword.