Anyone here play Go?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

' Because Berliner's work on chess led to the development of IBM's Deep Blue and its descendants, it had great impact and relevance when he said: "You don't have to be really good anymore to get good results. Chess is winding down. Chess is gradually losing its place as the par excellence of intellectual activity". And he concluded: "Smart people in search of a challenging board game might try a game called Go..."' 

For anyone not in the know, Go is the one of the oldest boardgames in the world.  

The rules are simple: on an even numbered lined-board, black and white pieces are placed on any of the 360 vertices, with the point being to surround territory. If you're piece(s) is/are surrounded, they become prisoners. There are many smaller, more complex rules, but that is the gist. The scope for depth is unparalleled, and it really is a beautiful, amazingly complex game. It famously appeared in the film 'Pi', as the lead character and his mentor discussed its relevance in the field of mathematics.

I know of the KGS servers, but I've not yet tried my hand online; preferring instead to play with friends as I learn the game a little more. 

Any players here on GB? We could maybe get some games on, if so.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By npeterson08

If you surpass somebody at Go, do you collect $200?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@npeterson08 said:
" If you surpass somebody at Go, do you collect $200? "
No, but I do sometimes moves the pieces with an Iron.
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By npeterson08
@GetEveryone: My interest is piqued!
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mnzy

I say told myself to try for months now. I'M GOING TO REALLY DO IT NOW!

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I've always been interested after watching Pi. It looks pretty entertaining.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Jrad
 http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/ is great for learning the ropes. It's an interactive tutorial -- if you go through it once or twice, you'll come out the other end ready to play some games against another beginner.
amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amomjc

I love GO, after finding the Arcade game on Xbox Live me and my wife play maybe 1 or 2 games a week now (yeah I know, doesn't sound like much but that's all our lives allow). If you get anything up send me a message.

hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By hostile

Nope although I became interested in playing it years ago after watching an anime with Go in it but never got too far in.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Three0neFive

I tried to get into it after seeing Hikaru no Go back when I was a socially-retarded weeaboo.

I never understood how scoring worked, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Three0neFive said:
" I tried to get into it after seeing Hikaru no Go back when I was a socially-retarded weeaboo.  I never understood how scoring worked, though. "
Scoring is really convoluted, but actually seems easier at a lower level. 

Low-skill games tend to get played through to the end, so scoring is simply a case of counting territories; at higher levels, the meta-game is far more important, with game usually being resigned by the loser, upon realizing defeat without having actually lost.

@Jrad
said:
"  http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/ is great for learning the ropes. It's an interactive tutorial -- if you go through it once or twice, you'll come out the other end ready to play some games against another beginner. "
Yup, that's a good site. As is:  http://www.learngo.co.uk/ it has loads of annotated games if developing your skill if a factor. It also has a decent fundamentals page. Britgo.org provides a couple of problems, too, and has a monthly newsletter with annotated pro games.
farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By farmer

Wehey, Go players! I have the odd game in university with a bloke called Mike, but I'm not really interested in playing online.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

Back when I bought Shonen Jump regularly they had a manga in it about a kid that played Go and I always wanted to learn it after reading it, but I never have.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ProfessorEss

Two co-workers of mine used to play it.

I've tried a few times but have yet to get my head around it.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Example1013

I used to play. I stopped while I still had all my mental faculties, and my limbs. Others I know weren't so lucky. I lost many good friends who didn't know when it was time to quit.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PulledaBrad

Playing Go will in fact make you want to do a self lobotomy.   Its true.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By rjpelonia

Yeah.

It's fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PulledaBrad: @example1013: Do not get.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Example1013
@GetEveryone: The world of Go is a dangerous place. Competitive Go is more akin to a bloodsport than a board game. Most of the people I played with are either maimed (both physically and mentally) or dead. 

The most successful Go players don't last more than a few years. The least successful don't last more than a few matches. The casualty rate is higher than it was for gladiators.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@example1013: ...and there you have it. The world of Go is more dangerous than a taxi ride round Venezuela. 
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Twisted_Scot
@npeterson08 said:
" If you surpass somebody at Go, do you collect $200? "
lol
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By xyzygy

I remember seeing this come up as a new game on XBL a few weeks back. I looked into it and apparently it's a game developed in "labs" at Microsoft, in an attempt to have a computer be a challenging foe for the game. Apparently it was a hard task and they succeeded. 

I'm not talking about the board game, I'm talking about the XBL game. I repeat: Microsoft did not invent the game Go

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I seen an anime about go that got me curious a few years back. I would still like to learn but could not be bothered to put the effort in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

" I remember seeing this come up as a new game on XBL a few weeks back. I looked into it and apparently it's a game developed in "labs" at Microsoft, in an attempt to have a computer be a challenging foe for the game. Apparently it was a hard task and they succeeded.  I'm not talking about the board game, I'm talking about the XBL game. I repeat: Microsoft did not invent the game Go "

In 2000BC, a small computing firm developed a program to mimic the popular game Go. The Chinese ruler at the time, of the Xia dynasty, was said to be immensely happy with their work and hoped it would not be appearing on GfWL, but rather the Steam platform.
PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PulledaBrad
@GetEveryone: Ever see the Aronofsky flick "Pi"?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PulledaBrad: Yup, I mention it in the OP. It's actually the reason I hunted out the game in the first place.
PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PulledaBrad
@GetEveryone: Ok i was just referring to the end of the movie and how Go can make you go insane. Or at leas I think it can. GD you Aranofsky.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PulledaBrad said:
" @GetEveryone: Ok i was just referring to the end of the movie and how Go can make you go insane. Or at leas I think it can. GD you Aranofsky. "
Whoops. Didn't realise you were replying to me from an earlier post. I get ya now. 

Note to self: Keep electric drills away from head.
OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OmegaChosen

Go makes me feel stupid. There's just a point in the way my mind views the game and how I play that keeps me on the beginner level that I jut can't get past. I'm sure if I played it on a daily basis I'd eventually get past this beginner bar and become at least mildly average but I just don't want to put the time into it.

I still can't even beat AI Go players...

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By animateria

I remember Go tournaments being shown on TV in Korea. It's called Baduk in Korean but the same thing.  

But almost everyone I knew had a Go board and a Jangi (Shogi?) board at home.

I never actually learned it... Just played Connect Five on Go boards with my friends. 

Or the other one where we flick rocks at your opponents rocks to get em off the board. That was fun.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

I have the trial version to the path of Go. I must admit I only got interested because it was in Tron Legacy (from what I remember).  lol I have yet to beat the master.  The full game looks fun because it looks like there's a ladder system going on and you go from one location to another (which doesn't really have anything to do with go but adds appeal to that game itself).