Anyone here use an HDMI switch? Can you help me find one please?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can search as much as I want, but I thought I'd ask here because there may be someone here that uses one and can recommend one. I have a Vizio 46-inch 5.1.4 soundbar, and the 2018 TCL R617 TV (that's all a bit redundant, but I want to be as detailed as possible). I need to get an HDMI switch that supports 4k and 60hz, while also getting optimal sound, so that means Atmos (although I don't think any switches will outright say it supports Atmos).

Currently, I have an HDMI plugged into the soundbars ARC, going to the ARC input on the TV, and then all other HDMI's are from consoles/PC (Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, and PC) going to the soundbars HDMI in so I can get their optimal sound (as the audio passthrough isn't ideal), but since the soundbar only has one HDMI in, I have to keep changing out the HDMI's that are going from console to soundbar.

I am okay with doing this myself, but my brother keeps moving the soundbar any time he changes it out, and... well it kind of annoys me to have to situate everything again and keep cleaning fingerprints off of things. It'd be a whole lot easier if I can get an HDMI switch so we don't have to touch the HDMI's and it's simply a matter of pressing a button on a remote or on the switch to get an image and sound to play different consoles. Anyways, hopefully, that all makes sense and someone can help. Thanks in advance.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I use this for my PC. It swaps between second monitor/switch/snes classic with no problem at all.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mellotronrules

i can't speak to atmos support, but i bought this one for my pc monitor and 4k tv that does 4k/60hz and it's done me solid. but i also only have a 2.0 sound setup.

i'm not super conversant in home theatre audio- but isn't that usually the domain of a full-on receiver? especially if you're looking for some of the higher-end branded audio standards?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules: For the second part, what do you mean? Atmos? You can get Atmos on many soundbars today. Some work better than others and it's always ideal to have rear surround and even side speakers as opposed to simply a front left, center, and front right. My system supports all sound formats except for DTS:X. My system is an Atmos-enabled speaker system, meaning that the soundbar itself, as well as the rear/side speakers, have upward-firing speakers to bounce the sound off the ceiling back down to the listening experience. Some say that's not very good compared to having individual speakers that you can put into the ceiling, while others say it works reasonably well, or even that having separate speakers that are above you isn't ideal. Either way, I've been pretty happy about it, and regardless of whether it worked or not, I like having it and need the switch that allows me to take full advantage of my system. Anyways, thanks for the post and @sombre.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mellotronrules

@ntm: ok. i mostly meant that something advertising 'atmos' support has probably paid a licensing fee to dolby, and so you're less likely to find that in a simple sub-$50 switcher box (as opposed to a $400ish receiver).

as you implied that doesn't mean the atmos won't work on a cheaper box...but they may not advertise it since they likely haven't paid the fee. that's just based on my gut though- like i said home theatre is pretty far outside my wheelhouse.

did a quick amazon search and this looks like an expanded and rebranded version of mine with atmos...maybe this will do the trick?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@mellotronrules: Oh, haha. Alright, sorry. And okay, thank you. That looks like it'll work perfectly. I'll keep looking into it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@sombre said:

I use this for my PC. It swaps between second monitor/switch/snes classic with no problem at all.

I'm using one like that for my WiiU, PS3 and SNES Mini. Mine is rated for 4K but I don't have anything like that to test it with, so I can't vouch for that part, but it works well for 1080p consoles.