Anyone Here Want to Start a GB Stocks Group?

• 187 results
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#151  Edited By KaosAngel
@gunslingerNZ: Yeah, I've been doing a lot of it today with HP stock, and profited some quick cash that way.  No black-listed stock either.
@angelkanarias: On the forums, I can't do shit until the rankings come out everyday.  Still waiting on those.  x.x
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#152  Edited By crusader8463
@KaosAngel:  What...is....2nd place... by..less then $200....

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By KaosAngel
@crusader8463: ...what are you talking about?  He's has $1000 over you...
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By crusader8463
@KaosAngel:  I didn't see the 1.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By KaosAngel
@crusader8463: Hey, at least you didn't lose almost $2,000...*pouts*
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156  Edited By cap123

Alright i just started this up, I have never given stocks a second thought so i'll probably fail though :P

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By crusader8463
@KaosAngel: If I knew whet I was doing I probably would have lost money. Like for example, I was thinking of selling some of my stock when it was really high, but isn't there a big delay between when you put it up and when it actually sells? So when it does sell it may be for less then what you wanted, or does it only sell for what you put it up for?
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#158  Edited By CoverlessTech

8th place and I didn't get a chance to short anything, not bad. F5 Networks came through good as expected . RIM pulled through nicely for me as well.

With real money I would normally never touch RIM, way to risky in todays market. I also put some in BP, something else I wouldn't normally put money into, fell through bad as expected.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#159  Edited By ZimboDK

Hehe, I really like this game :D

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By crusader8463

Got a stupid question here. I'm trying to buy stock in something, but every time I try it says:

Invalid Trade: Trade failed - No margin available This order did not execute because your account has insufficient buying power (or margin) remaining to execute the order. Since you have used up all the cash from your account, you are now buying securities via margin. Unfortunately, you do not have enough margin in your account.

According to my portfolio tab it says that I have enough money in my account to buy it, but my buying power is low. So what's the point of having the money if you need this buying power stat to be up? Does your cash actually not mean anything and I should only be focused on getting my buying power stat up?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By KaosAngel
@crusader8463: It sells for whatever price it was at the time you clicked it confirm.  You can't cancel it.  I did however, shorten the delay to 10 minutes to make it easier for day traders, and I would change the stupid commission fee but that would be bias on my part.  :)

@CoverlessTech: Nice job!  Keep up the work.  :D

@ZimboDK: Of course you do.  :P
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By KaosAngel
@crusader8463: You have -83,000 cash, and a limited buying power of 8.5k, how much are you trying to spend?  Either you need to sell stock to gain back cash, or you will only be able to buy about 8k worth of stocks from now on. 

If you sold all your stocks in the morning, you'd have $100,949.39, but until then...you have no physical cash.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By crusader8463
@KaosAngel said:

" @crusader8463: You have -83,000 cash, and a limited buying power of 8.5k, how much are you trying to spend?  Either you need to sell stock to gain back cash, or you will only be able to buy about 8k worth of stocks from now on.  If you sold all your stocks in the morning, you'd have $100,949.39, but until then...you have no physical cash. "

That's weird. Looking at my portfolio it says that I have positive $83,000 and 8.5k buying power. I was trying to que up some stock in Walmart for when the doors open tomorrow and I was basing how much I could buy on the amount of cash I had in my account. So I kept trying to buy as close to $83k as i could but it would only allow me to buy up to the 8.5k of my buying power and it was confusing me. So whether you can buy or not isn't based on how much money you have but actually your buying power? Or is something just screwed up and I'm seeing the wrong numbers on my account?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By KaosAngel
@crusader8463: 
No Caption Provided
...it says negative.  Your profile says the same thing right? 

EDIT:  I forgot to mention, numbers in a bracket means negative.  Finance doesn't use the "-" symbol for negative. 
trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#165  Edited By trace

Well, this should prove interesting. The top three seem to have exhausted their cash and are well into using their margin. I'm interested to see how that will work out in the long run, and if their stocks will drop enough at any point to force a margin call.  Far too risky a tactic for me, personally.

Can't say I did tremendously well yesterday, although a lot of that's a matter of commissions eating into my starting investments (and as well they should), especially since all my orders had limit restrictions. I'll probably leave everything as it stands now until the end of the week, and then make a judgment call on if anything should be dumped/bought at that point. I'm a little too focused on certain sectors, and I'd say a little too diverse in my portfolio for the time being. I also made the mistake of picking up some DGI shares in a moment of stupidity, thinking that turning them for a quick sale would be optimal but not taking fees into account.

Quite entertaining thus far, I'd say, at least for a stock simulation.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By crusader8463
@KaosAngel:  Ok then yes it's negative. Why would they do something as abstract as brackets instead of just using a negative sign? Seems so silly.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Sweet idea duder and good choice on the stock website.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#168  Edited By JoRoNimo

Ugh, I'm constantly wondering about selling my under performing stocks, but I can't shake the "it'll get better tomorrow, just watch!" feeling. 

This is why my REAL portfolio is pretty conservative.

mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By mm665

Lol, stock thread on Giant Bomb.One of the funniest things i ever saw.BTW I'm in.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By allprox

I did pretty well considering I bought a ton of shares in a 3D company which I had intended as a joke but is actually turning a profit. Currently sitting in 4th feeling smug about this whole thing but really it just comes down to that idea of putting an idiot in the stock market and watch him profit even though he has no idea what he is doing.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By c1337us

I did a thing like this in high school once. I'll participate but I know nothing about the stock market really.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By c1337us

Awh the market doesn't open in the US for 4 hours or something. I guess I'll have to stay up tonight so I can buy some stocks.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By allprox
@c1337us said:

" Awh the market doesn't open in the US for 4 hours or something. I guess I'll have to stay up tonight so I can buy some stocks. "

You can line all your purchases up now and it will automatically buy them for you when the market opens.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By c1337us
@Allprox: Thanks man will do.
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By angelkanarias

wajajjaj 5th place, I like it.

DjTann3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By DjTann3r
@MarkWahlberg: sounds like an Affleck flick.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By KaosAngel

....I don't get it, people who are playing with stocks for the first time are beating me.  I spent the last 4 years of my life learning law and finance...what am I doing wrong?  v_v 

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#178  Edited By JoRoNimo

My stocks are dropping like flies!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By KaosAngel
@jorojoserojas said:
" My stocks are dropping like flies! "
Buy in mornings, and they go up in the afternoon.  It's always like that.  I had -1.2k and I'm down to -800 in a few minutes.  It goes back up.
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By ZimboDK

They'd better go up, or I'm looking at a huge loss today. Doubt I'll be in the lead when the market closes.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By KaosAngel
@ZimboDK said:
" They'd better go up, or I'm looking at a huge loss today. Doubt I'll be in the lead when the market closes. "
...you'd go back to $100,000 with your worst loss, and you'd be broken even.  >.> 

I'm still at $98,000 but my stocks are valued at $150,000....I have massive negative cash.  x.x 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By crusader8463
@ZimboDK said:
" They'd better go up, or I'm looking at a huge loss today. Doubt I'll be in the lead when the market closes. "
Me too. My heart sank when I woke up today to see nothing but red in my portfolio. I'm $58k in debt and my stocks dropped about $3k in value overall. Hope it goes back up.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By KaosAngel

...today sucks.  I just started to make gains...and it's almost 3 p.m.  

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By angelkanarias

shit I'm loosing money, I should've sold

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By KaosAngel
@angelkanarias: I was losing so hard the entire day...and suddenly I just made up all my loss and gained about 400.  :D 

No Caption Provided
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By angelkanarias
@KaosAngel: lol. It's weird, yesterday every single company I invested in (except activision) went up. And suddenly today, every single one of them (except activision) went down. It's like the reverse of what happened yesterday.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By KaosAngel
@angelkanarias: That's stocks.  Next day they go back up to balance it out.  Gotta ride the wave, dude.