Anyone know the bitcoin miner that rorie uses?

Moderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I also have a 1080ti just sitting in my room and wouldn't mine it being used lol... I feel nasty in some way asking this but I would like to know

SlightlyTrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mining is such BS... takes more energy than Japan and does next to nothing. Its a weird world.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its probably nicehash but i wont recommend it.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

It is Nicehash. I know there are a lot of options out there, though, without the fees that Nicehash takes out. You can also use MSI Afterburner to reduce your power consumption down to 70% or so of normal if you want to save on power, but I'm still figuring out if that hits you on the mining part of it. So long as it pays for some lunch here and there I don't mind too much!

I'm going to move this to off-topic, though.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I'm mining on an AMD card directly to a pool so it may be different (but i dont see why it should). Lowering core voltage will lower power consumption and temperature but will cause the GPU more likely to crash. I didn't notice this affecting my hash power. Changing core clock or memory clock (depending on the bottleneck of the GPU) affects the hash power. It's a matter of balancing how high you can get the clocks and how low the core voltage is while keeping everything stable. This is why people flash the GPU's bios but that seems scary so i just use afterburner.

gijoeverde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If one was interested in using their AMD 480 to mine, what would be the best way easily- nicehash or something else?

Is there a good program would one run while sleeping or out of the house?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@gijoeverde: @forteexe21:Yeah, that was the other part that I neglected to mention; reducing the power but upping the memory bandwidth. Seems like it's a fairly common tip and I haven't had any issues with adding another 200mhz to my 1080ti's mem.

As far as Nicehash goes, it's super easy to set up without having to resort to a guide or anything. It also has a setting to auto-mine when your computer is idle, so it'll click back into mining when you walk away from the computer for a few minutes and automatically stop when you move the mouse. That's pretty handy.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gijoeverde: Easiest definitely is nicehash as itll do everything for you. If you want to directly mine crypto and not deal with nicehash and its fees, you can look here to see where you can earn the most and just find guides (reddit helps a lot) on how to earn for it.

No matter what you choose, remember to make a wallet and not use the program's default.

assdroids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By assdroids

I tried downloading and installing the nicehash miner just to see what all the fuss was about and Malwarebytes immediately flagged it and sent the exe to quarantine. Doesn't seem like it's worth the risk. Thoughts?

cliffordbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By cliffordbanes

When you calculate whether to mine stuff using your computer or not remember to include the degradation of your hardware not just the price of electricity. Electronics have a rated lifespan and a higher temperature can shorten the lifespan of your hardware. Heat is the enemy of electronics. Even 10 grades celsius can make a big difference to the lifespan of a product. It's not just the GPU that has a rated lifespan, all the other components do too.

The lifespan of your graphics card is a finite resource. The more you use your graphics card the higher the chance that it will reach its end of life sooner. Graphics cards do not degrade gracefully, they usually either work or don't. If or when your current graphics cards is broken can you afford a new one if you want one, even with the current or future prices of graphics cards? Theoretically, would you want to buy an overpriced GPU if your old one broke because you decided to mine bitcoins? Paying the MSRP price of a 1080 TI and getting a 1070 or a 1060 would not feel good in my opinion.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting for the point where our local councils bank on it and we get another financial crisis out of it. For now, I'll make do with the BitConnect fallout. "Look at that bald man meme. Tee hee."

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I am somewhat interested in this. I have this PC for playing games anyway, but obviously I do not always use it. Wouldn't mind earning a few bucks every week.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about mining. Why would I need a wallet and where would I make one? How does cashing out work? Which videocards are accepted for mining, or does it basically accept all of them but your earnings vary relative to the power of the card?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zevvion

@fredddi43: Thanks for the response. So my assumption was correct that less powerful machines in the end just basically generate less money to the point of pointlessness? I have a 980 at the moment, looking to upgrade, but it will likely take some time before I can.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend from work decided he'd try his hand at this. He mined one coin, then worked out that it wasn't enough to pay off the electricity he had used for it....

The whole thing has reached a ridiculous level where I just don't see the point in starting now.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creepingdeath0: I don't pay an electric bill, it's included in my rent at the moment, so anything I could get is profit.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By soulcake

unless you life in china or got free electricity. Mining coins is gonna end up costing you money then actually making it.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As someone who just recently put together a new PC (my first build ever!), I kind of want to mess with mining for the heck of it, but at the same time I live with a roommate and I don't want to explain why the electric bill is suddenly so high.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is he mining actual bitcoin or do you mean another crypto currency? I wqs under the impression home bitcoin mining is impossible now.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers