Anyone tried out Keyforge?

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I never really got into CCG's but I do like the concept.

Keyforge appeals to me because it seems much more streamlined while still keeping depth.

I'm thinking about trying it out but I'm not planning on finding any groups or going on tournaments. Mainly to just have the occasional game with my brother.

Anyone played it yet and have any thoughts on it?

By the way, I did read somewhere that the creator said that a digital online version is planned which will work with your physical cards. So that can also be an option.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I watched some friends play and it looked pretty fun, but it's sold out everywhere here at the moment. Amazon has decks coming back into stock soon and hopefully our game shop will be getting the starter set back next week.

I don't know if there is going to be a playable digital version of the game, but part of it is that you scan the decks into an app that tracks their performance, and then can handicap decks since the random deck format could potentially have some unbalanced combos.

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, scanning the deck is what makes the online thing a no-brainer. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that it is in the works.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna skip the starter set for now. The fact that I can buy just one deck and immidiately start playing is what makes it appealing.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will buy ONE deck along with a friend and that's all I'll do. I've no interest in buying multiple decks and the starter set seems absolutely pointless.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well it's a Fantasy Flight game, so they absolutely love their tokens and markers. Granted, you can proxy them all, but the game uses the 6 keys, ember tokens, and damage tokens for the creatures, and those come in the starter box.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If those came stand alone in a €15 box I'd buy them. But I don't want to buy the starter box because I've no interest in the starter decks, the rules are simple and available online so most of whats in that box is a waste to me.

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Since I'm not sure that this will stick with me for the long run, I'll want to invest as little as possible - which this game very much allows.

I can always go for some 3rd party generic tokens if I get a little bit more invested.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I've been watching people play it up at my LGS while I'm playing Commander. I have things I like and dislike about it. My biggest concern is with the competitive play. I just don't know how well a game like this can work in competitive formatting.

I'm going to buy a deck or two this week, as the owner of our LGS has already informed me that he'll have stuff in stock this week, and that he'll probably slip me a little Black Friday discount on some stuff.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep working on my Ayli commander deck and building Mono-Blue Tempo for Standard...unless I can find all the pieces for Abzan Discovery on the cheaps.