Anyone who wants to join the GB Goodreads group?

cocabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello Duders!

I noticed that Rorie added some books in his goty post and remembered there is already a GB group on goodreads, but the last activity was 7 years ago. I was wondering if people wanted to join and bring it to life. Discuss the books we're reading, maybe a book club. I'm always interested in seeing what other people read so I can add to my "to read" list. I already added a few of Rorie's recommendations.

Don't know if @rorie has a profile but I'd like to see more of his ratings.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/45156-giant-bomb

Don't know if the group requires approval but I saw the admin is still active so it should be ok.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This sounds like something I was looking for. I just joined Goodreads and I was looking for a group. Thanks for letting me know this exists!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I honestly don't use goodreads all that much but probably still have an account from years ago before Amazon bought them; I'll see if I can look it up.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Just joined! Made it a goal this year to read more books so I'll be using Goodreads quite a bit now.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cerberus3dog

Sounds great. I hope it picks up some steam.

Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a vague and passing interest in this.

My last favorite book that I read was Cryptonomicon over a year ago, and frankly nothing else has quite measured up or managed to keep my interest since.

Xevabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Xevabis

Working on filling my shelf of books i have read, but this looks cool.

My Profile

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Sure - I hope to use Goodreads a bit more regularly - though I still don't write reviews

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm hoping to use it more this year so I joined.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Signed up. Good idea, OP.

cocabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buzzard: I have that book on my kindle and I tried reading it last year but literally couldn't go past the first chapter. I've heard great things about it but it's so hard to read. Maybe its because english isn't my native language but I've never had problems of this type with any other book (and I only read books in english). I'll try it again sometime and maybe just read it slower.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nnickers

@cocabis: Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite books and from easily my favorite writer, but the first few chapters can be admittedly impenetrable. But, I will say that they're not at all representative of the latter 95% of the book. I know "it gets better later" is always a hard sell, but in this case it will get better very quickly and is very worth pushing through.

I'll also throw out a hearty recommendation of Seveneves, another long, era-spanning novel by Stephenson that most people who've read Cryptonomicon and/or Snow Crash never seem to find.

cocabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers: Cool! I'll try it again then! I'm currently reading The Dark Tower series because a friend said that it really gets better because I just hated the first book. And if I can read tht I can power through a few chapters in Cryptonomicon.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I went ahead created an account and began filling out my "shelf."

Just started reading "John Dies at the End."

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll join. I don't use goodreads much but I filled out my reading year goal on there for the year. There's a what-you-been-reading forum post on here that I started that gets some somewhat frequent use, fyi.

I also have Cyptonomicon on kindle but have yet to read it. I liked Snow Crash by him quite a bit though.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Would have to resuscitate my goodreads account but might be worthwhile. I'm doing some re-reads (something I've never really done but for a couple of books) with every second book this year so I don't have time for a book club, but it would be cool to track it with others.

Damenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also wonder why there was activity from the author

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: You are in for a weird ride. John Dies is one of those very rare books that manages to be both genuinely creepy(imo) and funny. Hopefully the humor isn't too dated. It's very much a late 00' style humor.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: I am about half way through at this point and LOVING it. Would you recommend book 2? I already have it in my cart on Amazon.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: I would but it has a very different tone. I don't want to taint your impressions but it's very "Post 9/11". It has touches on fears of a Police State and worries about who to trust. But I thought it was an OK read. I would say that the third book is much better and has as a number of weird twists that I didn't see coming.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The third JDATE book is phenomenal. The second is still solid, just not as good as the other two.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: I read the third book a month or so before the Thailand Cave rescue stories about the kids stranded in a cave became national news. I thought it was sort of odd coincidence and thought about how people would handle it if it were really happening.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: Oh wow, yeah, that's an odd bit of timing.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: interesting to hear. I'll give it a look. I saw he wrote a stand alone book as well that looked interesting. I think it was called Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I’m in.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: I thought it was entertaining through out but the author seems to like employing misdirection by way of building something up only to cynically have reality dash it's skull across it's windshield. It's his take on the super hero genre and like all good super hero stories the villains tend to up stage the heroes. In this case the villains are what the author thinks assholes in a hyper connected social network future would be like and he succeeds in making them extremely unlikable.

Damenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read these books, they're incredibly interesting.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@mightyduck: There's a sequel to that on its way... sometime. I think it was scouted for TV too, but I have no idea if it'll make it or not.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: interesting. I'll have to give that a look as well. I feel like I'm super late to the party. I had never heard of any of the series prior to a random "you might be interested in" Amazon link around Christmas.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: Some of the other Cracked writers are well known for novels too. I keep meaning to check out Robert Brockway’s books too.

Arcsurvivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I joined. On GR, I regularly look for the newest Fantasy books.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joining. I'm a former English university student who has barely read since he left....10 years ago....