Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

Man, I know if I was vegan the first place I would go when I wanted lunch was a FUCKING DELI. Point to the fucking door, holy shit

Emils_katt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Emils_katt

@Hairy_Fish said:

The only one I know happens to also be a feminist bookworm who drinks green tea. A walking stereotype.

So a girl demanding equality between the sexes that likes to read and drink tea, then? Thank god not every girl is like those pesky vegans! Personally I like mine uneducated and submissive, preferably living their whole lives in between the kitchen and the bed.

frythefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By frythefly

Are most Pikachus nazis? Are most best drummers best guitarists? Are most Mass Effect 3s Dragon Age 2s? Are most mosts mosts or are some of them somes ore even fewer fews?

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By Arbie

Hi! Sorry your encounters with vegans have been so unpleasant. But there are arseholes and snobs from all walks of life, but they're pretty good to have around because you get to feel grateful that at least you were brought up with good manners!

I've been vegan for a few months now and I've come across both of these kinds of snobs: "You don't eat meat? You must have many health issues!" and "Pfft, I've been a vegan all my life, in fact, I invented the word vegan!"

Snobs are everywhere and no matter who you are, even if you're on their side, they can try get to you with their negative attitude.

Just continue to be a good person and ignore them. Snobs hate being ignored, it means they have a little chip knocked off their "Almighty Me" persona!

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105  Edited By sickVisionz

@Mordukai said:

No. But most are self righteous arseholes.

This. More often than not they aren't just people who don't eat meat, they're people who go on tirades everytime they see people eating meat and feel the need to to do a 3 minute rant whenever they see hamburger. Their constant ranting and holier than thou stance reminds me a lot of what makes vocal Atheists so annoying.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Hairy_Fish

@Emils_katt said:

@Hairy_Fish said:

The only one I know happens to also be a feminist bookworm who drinks green tea. A walking stereotype.

So a girl demanding equality between the sexes that likes to read and drink tea, then? Thank god not every girl is like those pesky vegans! Personally I like mine uneducated and submissive, preferably living their whole lives in between the kitchen and the bed.

Woah...

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By GunnBjorn

I know of a sickly woman who became vegan just because she's emetophobic (a severe anxiety of vomiting), and she only eats the most insipid and freshest of foods just to make sure she won't get sick of it. Needless to say, she's a very unpleasant person to be with. She calculates every single possibilty to avoid getting sick. Washing foods thoroughly. In restauraunts, she only chooses to eat salads. You got a sick child at home, she won't visit you. She's as gaunt as a stick insect. We told her she needs psychiatric help, but she won't listen. She does eat (little though), so she isn't in immediate danger. Is she a snob? No. But definitely sick in the head.

P.S.

I happen to be a vegetarian predominantly, btw. I do like to eat meat once in a while. Just because it tastes so damn good! But physically I feel better if I don't eat it on a daily basis.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Arker101

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

I just laugh when they think they're eating "healthier" by abstaining from all animal products.

lol

@Arker101 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Maybe most snobs are vegan?

You've been using that gif a lot lately..

You blew my mind with applying Swedish accents to the word chin, and he switched two words around to make something sound profound!

I used it twice, come on. Open up my/Videogamekings mini Bio. It gets pretty bad great. Why post would I post my boring opinion when I can say the same thing with a hilarious moving image?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By Wolverine

@Enigma777: Well no, but of course some are. There are snobs in every group of people.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By beforet

For some reason, this thread is giving me a hankering for some kosher.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grillbar said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Also work in a deli. We get people who cant have "Pork" And have to spend about 5 mins cleaning EVERYTHING And change our gloves between touching EVERYTHING. So I know how you feel. If they want such little things carried out there is a Health food store not far from here. (Which I tell them)

well thats a different thing im my book since there are people who either are allergic, or Muslims, there's a difference between religion and lifestyle choice, at the same time i allso think you have the right to say no if its to much of a hazzle without them being angry

Not when there is a health food place that has stuff as well. This person also tends to come right in the middle of the day when its super busy and we have a huge line. 
Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Mageman

@Emils_katt said:

@Hairy_Fish said:

Feminism is a form of sexism where females are thought to be the superior sex. At this stage a girl can't demand equality between the sexes because it already exists, she can only demand superiority.

I never met a vegan myself, nor do I care if people want to be scrawny and unhealthy, but vegetarian/vegan parents should under no circumstance influence their children with their eating habits and potentially do them harm.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By NickBOTT

@Mordukai said:

No. But most are self righteous arseholes.

This.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#114  Edited By bibamatt

@Mageman said:

@Emils_katt said:

@Hairy_Fish said:

Feminism is a form of sexism where females are thought to be the superior sex. At this stage a girl can't demand equality between the sexes because it already exists, she can only demand superiority.

I never met a vegan myself, nor do I care if people want to be scrawny and unhealthy, but vegetarian/vegan parents should under no circumstance influence their children with their eating habits and potentially do them harm.

Just fixed all of that for you.

You sound like my Grandma.

Fishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By Fishstick

No, but most snobs are vegan.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By Nate

@Rebel_Scum said:

I know heaps of vegans and vegetarians due to where I live/work. Some are picky some aren't. Example, if there's a chicken curry some people pick out the chicken and eat the curry no problem. Others avoid the curry at all costs.

OP you're just unfortunate to come across two picky/arsehole ones. Thats their choice and usually don't mind waiting so long as they're happy with their service. You weren't providing them with good service imo. You're there to serve, not be judgemental on their expectations. Sure they demands were unreasonable (waiting time for others etc) but that doesn't excuse you not providing service the customer required.

p.s. I would've done the same thing with that lady though ;)

@Enigma777: I'd say the first person in Enigma777's post is being pretty reasonable. I used to work in a bakery where we served sandwiches, soups, pizzas and we were told to change our gloves for vegetarians and vegans (we had 2 of our 10 or so sandwiches that were vegetarian, one of them vegan). I usually didn't, but if a customer asks it definitely seems reasonable. Imagine gloves with bacon grease from a BLT being used on one of the vegetarian sandwiches. Those tomatoes or whatever are definitely going to taste like bacon and for a vegetarian or vegan that's not cool.

The second one does seem pretty fussy, and I think you made the right call in not honoring that request. Seems pretty unreasonable.

Others have echoed these thoughts, but it is hard not to appear stuck up as a vegan. Some people are offended that you even exist no matter how down to earth, easy-going, and non-judgmental you are. The fact that you won't eat what they eat makes it seem like you are judging them and looking down on them.

I hesitate to step into the fray, but I will say I'm a mostly vegan, and I'd like to think I'm pretty reasonable. I try not to judge others' choices, and I think it would be great if some of the vegan haters would do the same. To all the vegan haters- it seems a bit hypocritical to judge vegans and bad-mouth them for judging you and bad-mouthing you. That's my take.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By bibamatt

@Mageman: And just to avoid any doubt...

The American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada have stated that at all stages of life, a properly planned vegetarian diet is "healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provides health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases." Large-scale studies have shown that mortality from ischaemic heart disease was 30% lower among vegetarian men and 20% lower among vegetarian women than in non-vegetarians. Necessary nutrients, proteins, and amino acids for the body's sustenance can be found in vegetables, grains, nuts, soymilk, eggs and dairy. Vegetarian diets offer lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol and animal protein, and higher levels of carbohydrates, fibre, magnesium,potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals.

Vegetarians tend to have lower body mass index, lower levels of cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and less incidence of heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, renal disease, metabolic syndrome, dementias such as Alzheimer’s disease and other disorders. Non-lean red meat, in particular, has been found to be directly associated with increased risk of cancers of the esophagus, liver, colon, and the lungs. Other studies have shown no significant differences between vegetarians and non-vegetarians in mortality from cerebrovascular disease, stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, or prostate cancer. A 2010 study compared a group of vegetarian and meat-eating Seventh Day Adventists in which vegetarians scored lower on depression tests and had better mood profiles.

Plenty of health benefits outlined there.

Feminism is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. In addition, feminism seeks to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist is a "person whose beliefs and behavior are based on feminism."

Feminist theory, which emerged from these feminist movements, aims to understand the nature of gender inequality by examining women's social roles and lived experience; it has developed theories in a variety of disciplines in order to respond to issues such as the social construction of sex and gender. Some of the earlier forms of feminism have been criticized for taking into account only white, middle-class, educated perspectives. This led to the creation of ethnically-specific or multiculturalist forms of feminism.

Feminist activists campaign for women's rights – such as in contract law, property, and voting – while also promoting bodily integrity, autonomy and reproductive rights for women. Feminist campaigns have changed societies, particularly in the West, by achievingwomen's suffrage, gender neutrality in English, equal pay for women, reproductive rights for women (including access tocontraceptives and abortion), and the right to enter into contracts and own property. Feminists have worked to protect women and girls from domestic violence, sexual harassment, and sexual assault. They have also advocated for workplace rights, including maternity leave, and against forms of discrimination against women. Feminism is mainly focused on women's issues, but because feminism seeks gender equality, some feminists argue that men's liberation is a necessary part of feminism, and that men are also harmed by sexism and gender roles.

....aaaaaaaand a pretty definitive explanation of Feminism.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Chop

It's the same as anything else, really.

You only hear from and about the loud, annoying vegans. I'm sure that the bulk of them just shut the fuck up and keep to themselves.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By haffy

I've never understood people who become vegetarian/vegan for health reasons. If your on a diet why exclude some of the healthiest options available like white meat, fish and eggs.

Also I love how people will compare a vegetarian/vegan who is on a diet, to people that aren't on a diet. If you want a fair comparison do it between two groups of people who are on a diet.

But other than that I don't care about vegetarians/vegans.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By duskvamp

There was a big trend in my high school year, lots of Morrissey fans wearing "Meat is Murder!" badges, patches on their bags, stickers on all their books. When we had to choose a topic to debate in class, of course they chose to debate how eating meat is wrong. The "hard core" ones were vegan.  

In college I was walking down the stairs eating a chicken burger, a girl gasped and shrieked, I asked her what was wrong and she looked at me in disgust and yelled "Are you eating meat?!?!?!?!!!" 

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By 49th

My aunt is kind of vegetarian vegan whatever the fuck and she is annoying as shit. She didn't drink milk for years because she claimed she was allergic to it but then the doctor told her that her bones were going to shit and she needed to drink milk so now she suddenly can drink it, and also says soy milk is bad because it makes you infertile, which she told to my vegetarian cousin who didn't eat meat and only had salads to lose weight but then eats fucking hot chocolate every night and cakes and shit. Then she goes and does gardening or some shit, what the fuck.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#122  Edited By hollitz

All people that belong to a group behave the same. That's a healthy way to think, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I wouldn't bad mouth Vegans or Daniel Bryan will kick your ass in a scripted fight.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By haffy

@hollitz said:

All people that belong to a group behave the same. That's a healthy way to think, right?

Works in advertising, a multi billion, if not trillion industry, so yeah sure, why not?

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By beej
@Mageman said:

@Emils_katt said:

@Hairy_Fish said:

LOL Mensrights advocate alert. Seriously though get out of here with that hilarious mess about feminism and how now the sexes are totally equal without some form of evidence.
Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

I encounter quite a few vegans out and about (I live in a fairly hipsterized part of the city) and I wouldn't say they're snobs.

I will say they're often self-righteous, rude, preachy, intrusive, and annoying. I find they'll often comment on other people's diet choices while sitting next to them at a cafe/restaurant (had one refer to my meal containing meat as "what a waste of life"), and tend to be what we call "professional students" or what Portlandia calls "Young retirees". Late-20s thru 30s alternatives. Even my vegetarian friends don't rate them.

you live in portland, eh? which district do you reside in? i work for an organic foods distributor in the portland area. my weekly route takes me to the sellwood and laurelhurst neighborhoods as well as the hawthorne and pearl districts. all of which are inundated with hipster and vegan snobs. i can't stand them! i'm sure they don't care for me, and i am fine with that.

as for the OP's question: yes, most are snobs. just show them the door and tell them not to let it hit their ass on the way out.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By BombKareshi
No Caption Provided
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

@hollitz said:

Looking down on an entire group when you can only say you've have only met one or two when, in fact, you've met far more without even knowing it is clearly the best way to think.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By bibamatt

@haffy said:

I've never understood people who become vegetarian/vegan for health reasons. If your on a diet why exclude some of the healthiest options available like white meat, fish and eggs.

If you're generally interested, there's loads of information out there which will tell you why a vegetarian diet is generally healthier than an omnivore diet!

Are vegetarians really healthier in the long-run?
Absolutely, positively, yes! Even though nutritionists seem to disagree on many topics, all agree that plant-eaters and fish-eaters tend to live longer and healthier lives than do animal eaters. In every way, the brocolli-munchers tend to be healthier than the beef-eaters:

• Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cancer, especially colon, stomach, mouth, esophagus, lung, prostate, bladder, and breast cancers. The protection against intestinal cancers is probably due to the fiber in a plant-based diet. In fact, vegetarians have a lower incidence of nearly all intestinal diseases and discomforts, especially constipation and diverticulosis. The phytonutrients in plant foods, especially antioxidants, flavanoids, and carotenoids, may also contribute to protection against cancer.
  • Plant food is better for your heart, since it is low in cholesterol and saturated fat, and high in fiber. Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease, namely heart attacks and stroke. A study of 25,000 Seventh-Day Adventists showed that these vegetarians had one-third the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease than a comparable meat-eating population. Another study showed that death from cardiovascular disease was fifty percent less in vegetarians. These statistics may be the result of more than just diet; vegetarians tend to have healthier overall lifestyles.
  • Plant eaters are much less likely to get diabetes than animal eaters.
  • Vegetarians tend to see better.
  • An eye disease called macular degeneration, which is deterioration of the retina leading to blindness, occurs less frequently in vegetarians.
  • Vegetarians tend to be leaner than meat eaters, even those who skin their chicken and trim the fat off their steak; and, in general, leaner persons tend to be healthier. Being lean does not mean being skinny. It means having a low percentage of body fat. Muscular weight-lifters tend to be lean, though no one would call them skinny. You don't have to "beef up" at the dinner table to make muscle. Even the U.S. Department of Agriculture's dietary guidelines recommend eating more vegetables and grains and less meat, despite pressure from the politically-connected meat industry to promote meat.

I got that from http://www.askdrsears.com/ but you can find the same information from loads of sources. The wikipedia entry for vegetarianism is great for sources if you want them.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Dany

@bibamatt: Was going to post that. That was one reason I went vegetarian.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fish are animals.

@bibamatt said:

If you're generally interested, there's loads of information out there which will tell you why a vegetarian diet is generally healthier than an omnivore diet!

Absolutely, positively, yes! Even though nutritionists seem to disagree on many topics, all agree that plant-eaters and fish-eaters tend to live longer and healthier lives than do animal eaters. In every way, the brocolli-munchers tend to be healthier than the beef-eaters:

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Dany

@BigChickenDinner: Fish are friends not food.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I'm still a meat eater, but I moving more towards a vegetarian diet. The main reason I chose to cut down on my meat consumption was to reduce my ecological footprint, I am feeling healthier and more energetic after reducing my meat consumption and my digestion has also improved greatly. The health benefits are a huge bonus but to make our lifestyles sustainable, we will all have to reduce our meat consumption.

Just my thought, I would be no means refuse to eat something if it had meat in it. Plus, bacon goood.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By matiaz_tapia

@TooWalrus said:

If they're not eating animal products because they're unhealthy, and just feel like living a healthier life, then whatever, more power to them, but if they legitimately believe that ANIMALS have fuckin' souls and deserve total animal liberation, then they're fuckin' idiots (who can also be snobby).

Animals HAVE souls!!

That's why they are so damn delicious.

Emils_katt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Emils_katt

@Mageman said:

@Emils_katt said:

@Hairy_Fish said:

Sexism is alive and well here in Sweden and even more so in the US. Is racism gone too?

Also, this thread is wrong in the same way a thread titled "Are most muslims terrorists?" would be wrong.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By GoodKn1ght

From my vegetarian friend "vegans are douches". Not even people with similar interests like them

Edit: yes that is an over generalization but fairly accurate in my experience. I've met one vegan who didn't give me shit for eating meat. One out of alot (I go to a very liberal college).

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By shadows_kill

One of my best friends is a vegan. I honestly think those people are just being just extra picky. She seems real low key and only asks for no meat at all and I'm not sure if she asks them to wear new gloves or anything but thats not to much to ask for to me.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#138  Edited By EuanDewar

Nope, so don't even bother.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By GunslingerPanda
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

No from my experiences. Although if you live in a big city, that might explain your problem. A lot of big city people think they're more important than everybody else. This IS coming from experience.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By haffy

@bibamatt said:

@haffy said:

• Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cancer, especially colon, stomach, mouth, esophagus, lung, prostate, bladder, and breast cancers. The protection against intestinal cancers is probably due to the fiber in a plant-based diet. In fact, vegetarians have a lower incidence of nearly all intestinal diseases and discomforts, especially constipation and diverticulosis. The phytonutrients in plant foods, especially antioxidants, flavanoids, and carotenoids, may also contribute to protection against cancer.
  • Plant food is better for your heart, since it is low in cholesterol and saturated fat, and high in fiber. Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease, namely heart attacks and stroke. A study of 25,000 Seventh-Day Adventists showed that these vegetarians had one-third the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease than a comparable meat-eating population. Another study showed that death from cardiovascular disease was fifty percent less in vegetarians. These statistics may be the result of more than just diet; vegetarians tend to have healthier overall lifestyles.
  • Plant eaters are much less likely to get diabetes than animal eaters.
  • Vegetarians tend to see better.
  • An eye disease called macular degeneration, which is deterioration of the retina leading to blindness, occurs less frequently in vegetarians.
  • Vegetarians tend to be leaner than meat eaters, even those who skin their chicken and trim the fat off their steak; and, in general, leaner persons tend to be healthier. Being lean does not mean being skinny. It means having a low percentage of body fat. Muscular weight-lifters tend to be lean, though no one would call them skinny. You don't have to "beef up" at the dinner table to make muscle. Even the U.S. Department of Agriculture's dietary guidelines recommend eating more vegetables and grains and less meat, despite pressure from the politically-connected meat industry to promote meat.

I got that from http://www.askdrsears.com/ but you can find the same information from loads of sources. The wikipedia entry for vegetarianism is great for sources if you want them.

That's kind of my point. That is comparing vegetarians, people who are on diets, to the rest of the public, who out of that, a percentage will be on a diet. It's a massively biased way of finding the results that the group want to find. Also if it was true that being vegetarian was healthier, and meat/fish/dairy products substitutes were the better counter parts, how come very few athletes in sports/athletics/running/cycling are ever vegetarians.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#142  Edited By cornbredx

Yes. Most vegans I have met are snobs. 
Can't say I am friends with any, though, and anyone actually qualified to tell you wouldn't admit it because they probably don't feel that they are. 

One guy I knew was kicked of out the house he lived in with room mates because he wasn't a vegan and they wanted to only have vegans living there.  

Also vegans are mean people to anyone who isn't a vegan. I respect that they want to live a certain way; i don't respect how they go about it.  
Vegans are the extremists of the vegetarian world.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Arbie

@CornBREDX: You're joking right? My boyfriend is an omnivore (almost a carnivore actually!) and I have never judged him for what he eats. All vegans are not mean to anyone who isn't vegan.

I wonder how many people in this thread actually know a vegan or vegetarian and how many think they know one because they've seen the media representation of one.

I'm also starting to agree with the person who said this thread is similar to asking if all Muslims are terrorists. It's ignorant to believe that just because you meet one person who is an ass who happens to lead a different lifestyle to you that it's because of their lifestyle that they act that way. Some people are just mean, or snobs, or whatever. There's no reason to make a thread that will without a doubt create animosity towards a group of people. That is mean.

Zoidberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#144  Edited By Zoidberg

Two of my closest friends are vegetarian (although one has only jumped on the train about a year ago, the other has been vegetarian for 2+ years). They're generally exactly the same as everybody else. The few vegan people I know always go on about how much they think meat/etc is gross and so on and so far. It's annoying, but not unbearable. What is unbearable is the girl I know that claims to be vegan, yet blatantly eats food with meat in it.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By bibamatt

@haffy Hang on, are you suggesting that all vegetarians are on diets? I'm not on a diet. You don't think it means 'diet' diet when it says 'people on a plant based diet'?! It's looking at a regular plant based... eater (diet) compared to a meat based eater (diet).

Athletes/runners don't have regular dietary concerns. Atheletes require extra amounts of protein, fat and carbs. Extra fat and carbs are baaaad for a regular person. But you'd get those from eating things like chicken/fish/pasta etc. Veggie diets are healthy for the very opposite reason. They generally have less saturated fats etc in their food.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By cornbredx
@Erzs: My post was pretty clear, I am saddened you picked out something to be offended by without understanding my post. 

I made it clear I have no friends who are vegans (which, to be clear is not the same as vegetarian as a lot in this thread don't seem to understand. Vegan and Vegetarian are two different things). 

Most vegans I have met are snobs and mean people (note also the use of Most and not All). 

I suspect you are more vegetarian then vegan if you have a boyfriend who eats meat. I can only speculate though.
Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Arbie

@CornBREDX: Nope, not all of my post was aimed at you, that's all. And I'm not offended by what you said, I just disagreed with it. Why would you speculate I were more vegetarian because my boyfriend eats meat? I've been with my boyfriend for three years and I haven't been vegan all that time, was hardly about to break up with him because of a change in my lifestyle choice! =]

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By cornbredx
@Erzs: Speculation based on the fact most vegans have a moral objection to meat and cant even stand to be around people who do (at least, for some reason they act like that- I don't know why) but it is still nice when I am wrong. I am open to it and generally happier for it =)
haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By haffy

@bibamatt said:

@haffy Hang on, are you suggesting that all vegetarians are on diets? I'm not on a diet. Athletes/runners don't have regular dietary concerns. They require masses more protein etc to offset the huge amount they use. The most sensible thing to eat for them is loads of chicken, pasta etc. I don't think any nutritionalist would advise you to eat the same as an athlete if you weren't doing that amount of training! I don't want to get in a huge discussion ab

How is restricting the type of food you eat not a diet? Isn't that how the word is defined?

Also the term nutritionalist is not a protected term and anyone can call themselves a nutritionist with very little qualifications. So I wouldn't listen to a one. And I don't see why a dietitian would not advise a person to eat a similar diet to an athlete, as long as they didn't go over 2000 calories for women or 2500 for men. I mean if you want to be a vegetarian/vegan because you don't like eating animals, cool. But I really do not like how much misinformation is spread that imply's not eating meat is healthier.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Arbie

@CornBREDX: Aaah, I get you! All of my friends and immediate family eat meat. If I were to become a vegan like that I'd be a very lonely person, and probably a hermit (and an asshole!)! =P