Are the Fables comics worth checking out?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

Here's my position, I loved the Wolf Among Us, thought it was an incredibly interesting world with characters. I really want a season 2...but I don't think it will ever happen sadly. But I'm craving more of that universe.

I've never been into comics before, only ever read the watchmen and that was that. So are the Fables comics for me or should I just play season 1 of TWAU?

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jaymii

It's very good, but at the same time, it's quite an epic. I absolutely adored the early going, but it soon introduces more and more characters and generally has at least one other comic or miniseries running concurrently with the core book. If you want to dive headfirst into it, I think you would appreciate it. But you need to be prepared for plenty of issues and arcs in the middle that prioritize world-building and backstory over pushing the narrative forward. The fact the series has recently completely concluded is really a plus towards it... I'm excited about eventually digging into it once again sometime soon.

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. They are a great and original.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Teddie

I read through the first story-arc of it (it's pretty long) and then just kinda tapered off and lost interest when it seemed like it was struggling to find something else to do. It's very good, but it's very different from The Wolf Among Us just in terms of it not being a detective/murder mystery story (well, outside of the first few issues, if I remember correctly), so don't go in expecting more of the same. You'll probably know after a few issues if it's something you want to keep reading or not.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are worth it. So are the novels.

jd_delgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say check the first trade, if you like it, then you could stick to it until issue #75 and call it a day after that (after 75 is mostly hit or miss), but overall when Fables is at all cylinders, it is very much worth your time.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Amazing series I think, but of course your mileage will vary based on how much you like er, comic books, fairy tales, retellings, etc.

Delgado has the right angle: grab the first trade and go from there.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@nightriff: I was in the same spot as you, enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, thought the world was unique and interesting and wanted more. I read the majority of Fables and was not disappointed, it's far superior to what you get in the game. It's deep, full of interesting takes on fables well known and obscure and Bigby is an awesome character in his own right (the game plays up his aggressive side where he is actually incredibly cunning and likeable).

As others have said, start with the first trade, which is very Bigby focused and will be familiar to you as a fan of the game then see what you think.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By hassun

From what I read. They started out kind of interesting but the quality nosedived (nosedove?) pretty hard after a while.

bugbarbecue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

From what I read. They started out kind of interesting but the quality nosedived (nosedove?) pretty hard after a while.

there was a while where the story had no point after the Adversary was defeated (the arcs that dealt with the nature of writing and the pathetic fallacy made little to no sense) but the more recent stuff with Snow and Digby's kids has been pretty great.

HnNaldoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a comic fan but i loved it.

I read until about 100 then i realised its not done and stopped there. Will reread it now that its done.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Fables comics are excellent. I recommend reading until issue 75 (11th Volume), afterwards it starts to go downhill.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

They are definitely worth reading.

@goonage said:

The Fables comics are excellent. I recommend reading until issue 75 (11th Volume), afterwards it starts to go downhill.

I second this statement.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Yes

michael_katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

One of my favorite comic series. And I usually can't get into comics where the artwork does not stand out, but Fables is just so good to me it doesn't matter. (not that the art is bad by any means, its just not anything special. At times it can be great but mostly its just gets the job done)

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree with a lot of the above comments.

I was into Fables since issue 1, all those years ago, and while it starts out great, The Wolf Among Us is so vastly superior that it's hard to go back. A lot of it has to do with the fact that The Wolf Among Us is a prequel, yet is based on characterizations of the characters that happen later in the series when the creative team has a better sense of what they are doing and what the series is about.

The game has a more grounded sense of style and delivery about it. As much as I hate movie-games, the game has the sensibilities of a film where the comic book has the sensibilities of a novel, and to some extent, a wandering, untethered style of drifting from the point all too often.

It IS good though. There's a reason it was chosen to adapt.