There are more and more people who think there is a big chance we are actually living in a simulation. Their reasoning is that an intelligent civilization has a few possible "end games". We either reach a point were we hit a hard ceiling and further technological development isn't possible anymore. Or we get to a point were we have the technology to make a simulated universe but we choose not to because of ethical reasons. Or we end up actually building a simulated universe.
Given the amount of livable planets in our observable universe, the chance that there are civilizations out there that have reached this point of technological development may well be greater then zero. So a lot of people estimate the chance of us actually living in a simulated universe quite high (their estimations typically can range from a 20% chance to a 80% chance). And theoretical physics might point in that direction as well. The discrete, quantised nature off energy and the possible discrete nature of space itself fits with this assessment of the basic nature of reality.
At this point there are no actual observations that confirm this but people are making serious experimental efforts to test this stuff (like the holometer experiment). So we may yet find out that we actually live in a holographic simulated universe. But as long as the data isn't there we can only speculate. So let's do just that.
I personally hope we don't live in a simulated world because if we find out we do the consequences would be horrible. For one it would mean we are victims of an amoral system that doesn't care about personal suffering. Also it would rule out any chance of us ever finding the true nature of reality. But I can't dismiss the possibility neither. I know this all may seem like a bunch of hippy dippy stoner stuff but I genuinely think this stuff is worth discussing.