Are you going to miss Paula Deen Foods?

• 156 results
Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Poll Are you going to miss Paula Deen Foods? (400 votes)

Yes 4%
No 83%
My Mouth Will But My Arteries Won't 14%

So for those who haven't heard, Paula Deen, Food Network personality and owner of a massive cookware and food empire, has seen her business collapse after using a racial slur and initially downplaying the significance of her usage of the word and the harm it caused to a former employee. Paula previously had her cookware sold at virtually every major American department store including Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, JC Penny, Sears, Home Depot, and several other major retailers. She also was the spokesperson for a major drug company as well as a ham producer. In addition, she had shows on Food Network and several other channels, and multiple book deals with major publishers. In the past week every single one of these companies has dropped support for the chef. For me, the most tragic part of this story is the loss of Paula Deen baked goods at Wal-Mart. Her delicious cakes and pies were some of the best mast produced baked goods out there. Today, in honor of her downfall, I purchased one of the few remaining Paula Deen Butter Cakes at my local Wal-Mart. The delicious, gooey, heavenly cake contained (less than 2% of) actual real butter. See Paula isn't a fake! I'm sure she has trace amounts of decency in her just like her butter cake has trace amounts of actual butter! I'll miss you, you racist, diabetic, waistline ruining little old Southern Belle you. *sobs*

• 
Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@mr_misery: More along the lines I would like to be able to say what ever I want when ever I want for what ever reason I want . There is nothing wrong with using these words if you are not actively trying to hurt someone with them better yet I could give a shit about this word is a bad word line of shit . Words are words they have only the power you give them no one is hurt by them unless that person actively makes it hurt them. Actions speak louder then words people who actively act to ruin someones life is a million times worse then anyone who could possibly speak any word no matter how bad you may think it is.

When did ruining someones life become a legitimate response to someone sayings something anyway?

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Since no one bothered to post some of the actual deposition here is excerpts from it. Make of it what you will but to whose quoting people and taking their word for it, please do some reading. Please?

Q:Okay. So was Lisa ever present when you discussed with Brandon what kind of wedding you’d like to have?

A. [...] I remember telling them about a restaurant that my husband and I had recently visited. And I’m wanting to think it was in Tennessee or North Carolina or somewhere, and it was so impressive. The whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie. I mean, it was really impressive. And I remember saying I would love to have servers like that, I said, but I would be afraid somebody would misinterpret.

Q. The media might misinterpret it?

A. Yes, or whomever -

Q. Okay.

A. -- is so shallow that they would read something into it.

[...]

Q. Okay. And they were all black men?

A. Yes. Professional servers and waiters.

Q. And when you described it to Miss Jackson, did you mention the race of - well, you had to have mentioned the race of the servers -

A. Of course I would -

Q. -- because that’s the part that -

A. -- because that’s what we just experienced.

Q. Right. Do you know what word you used to identify their race?

A. I would have used just what I just told you.

Q. Black or African-American?

A. Black. I would use the word black

Q. Okay.

A. I don’t usually use African-Americans.

Q. Okay.

A. I try to go with whatever the black race is wanting to call themselves at each given time. I try to go along with that and remember that.

Q. Okay. So is there any reason that you could not have done something just like that but with people of different races?

[...]

A. That’s what made it so impressive. These were professional. I’m not talking about somebody that’s been a waiter for two weeks. I’m talking about these were professional middle-aged men, that probably made a very, very good living -

Q. Okay.

A. -- at this restaurant. They were trained. The - it - it was the whole picture, the setting of the restaurant, the servers, their professionalism.

Q. Is there any reason you couldn’t have found middle-aged professional servers who were of different races?

[...]

A: Listen, it was not important enough to me to even fight, to reproduce what that restaurant had. I was just simply expressing an experience that my husband and I had, and I was so impressed.

Q. Did you describe it as a - that that would be a true southern wedding,

words to that effect?

A. I don’t know.

Q. Do you recall using the words “really southern plantation wedding”?

A. Yes, I did say I would love for Bubba to experience a very southern style

wedding, and we did that. We did that.

Q. Okay. You would love for him to experience a southern style plantation wedding?

A. Yes.

Q. That’s what you said?

A. Well, something like that, yes. And -

Q. Okay. And is that when you went on to describe the experience you had at the restaurant in question?

A. Well, I don’t know. We were probably talking about the food or - we

would have been talking about something to do with service at the

wedding, and -

Q. Is there any possibility, in your mind, that you slipped and used the word “n----r”?

A. No, because that’s not what these men were. They were professional black men doing a fabulous job.

Q. Why did that make it a - if you would have had servers like that, why would that have made it a really southern plantation wedding?

[...]

A. Well, it - to me, of course I’m old but I ain’t that old, I didn’t live back in those days but I’ve seen the pictures, and the pictures that I’ve seen, that restaurant represented a certain era in America.

Q. Okay.

A. And I was in the south when I went to this restaurant. It was located in the south.

Q. Okay. What era in America are you referring to?

A. Well, I don’t know. After the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War.

Q. Right. Back in an era where there were middle-aged black men waiting on white people.

A. Well, it was not only black men, it was black women.

Q. Sure. And before the Civil War - before the Civil War, those black men and women who were waiting on white people were slaves, right?

A. Yes, I would say that they were slaves.

Q. Okay.

A. But I did not mean anything derogatory by saying that I loved their look and their professionalism

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@artemesia said:

This thread got reeeeeeeeeal stupid.

At the very least derailed a bit. The original topic has almost nothing to do with political correctness, IMO.

As I said already, I apologize for creating this thread. I had no intention of starting any sort of debate about race or about how right or wrong this whole thing was. I really enjoyed her food and was sad that I wasn't going to get to eat it anymore, hence I made this thread.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@martyarf said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

@martyarf said:

@endurancefun said:

Oh look, something horrible happened 50 years ago! How relevant.

Because as we all know, without that political correctness, and out-of-control freedom of speech, we'd have black people hosed own and lynched in the streets tomorrow. All hail King Soetoro.

Seeing as this forum takes all of its opinions on sensitive subjects from comedians, maybe this will help

Loading Video...

So the idea presented here is that a certain amount of overly political correct behavior is a small price to pay for discouraging people from using racial slurs, right? That argument sounds like someone saying that prisoner abuse during interrogations by the police is a small price to pay for law and order.

That's not a perfect analogy--although it's a lot better than the stupid analogy that closes that video--but the idea behind the analogy remains the same. You can have one without the other. You can abhor racial slurs and actual bigotry, while still rolling your eyes when someone insists that you use the term "African American" instead of black, especially when you refer to yourself as white.

And much of this is a sliding scale, and completely subjective. If you don't think so, please tell me your opinion on the following words and terms, and if they should be used, should not be used, or if they are examples of being overly politically correct.

Handicapped, disabled, disability, deficient, disadvantaged, impairment, challenged, crippled, exceptional, different, differently-abled, handi-capable, special.

The thing is, context and intent matters far more with any of these words than the words themselves, and political correctness largely ignores this, with a focus on which words are "acceptable" and which words are not.

I'm not quite sure you can equate institutional torture with not calling someone the n-word? Good luck with that line of argument though.

Once again,

"That's not a perfect analogy, but the idea behind the analogy remains the same. You can have one without the other."

I guess you don't want to actually argue your point, though, and would rather just accuse me of "equating torture with not calling someone the n-word." That's a shame, because while political correctness can be quite subjective, it's still makes for a very interesting discussion topic.

One of my favorite examples of political correctness is "they're not Indians, they're Native Americans." It's one of my favorite examples, because I couldn't agree more with that statement. "African American" bothers me as a term, because the majority of black Americans have about as much of a connection to Africa as I have a connection to France or Germany--I'm of French / German decent, with a little bit of Russian thrown in there somewhere. But "Native American" has always made a lot more sense, seeing as there are actual Indians from India living on this planet, and it was completely stupid mistake for US settlers to start calling them Indians in the first place.

Not everyone would agree with that line of thought, but like I said, much of this is quite subjective anyhow.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By EnduranceFun

@spaceinsomniac: What's stupid about Native American is that the settled group was not the first in America by any means and likely committed mass genocide or killed off the group that preceded / co-occupied the territory, ironically considering the PC history that is widely taught. Basically, calling the group Native Americans is like calling Europeans "Native Africans."

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#157  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I don't recall eating any of her food or ever seeing any of her products in stores.

She should have more then enough money to last the rest of her life and her kids if she planned correctly.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: dude thank you so much for introducing me to bill burr, i have never heard of this guy before now and shit he is funny as fuck i have been watching loads of clips now and the one about southerners going to war had me curled up. best thing i have found while i have been at giant bomb that does not have anything to do with games, now i am off to find more of his stuff to watch.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: dude thank you so much for introducing me to bill burr, i have never heard of this guy before now and shit he is funny as fuck i have been watching loads of clips now and the one about southerners going to war had me curled up. best thing i have found while i have been at giant bomb that does not have anything to do with games, now i am off to find more of his stuff to watch.

I'm glad to hear it. He's one of the better lesser-known comedians working today. If you have Netflix, I believe he has a couple of full stand-up specials on there.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers