Are you going to see the live-action Ghost in the Shell?

• 68 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Are you going to see the live-action Ghost in the Shell? (261 votes)

Yes, I'm a sucker for anything GitS (and I'm excited) 11%
Yes, I'm a sucker for anything GitS (and I hate myself) 10%
If the reviews aren't abysmal 7%
If the reviews are decent 15%
Yes, but not cause I care about GitS but I'll watch anything Scarlett is in 4%
I'm not planning on it but I won't put up a fight if someone asks me 15%
I'll for it to come home 15%
No, it's a complete disgrace 13%
Wait, there is a live-action GitS movie coming? 2%
What's a Ghost in the Shell? 2%
Anime is for jerks and so are live-action adaptations of them 6%

Ok, so ever since this thing became a reality and they hire Rupert Sanders, I straight up dismissed it. And though I like Scarlett Johansson a lot, I became even more pouty about whole situation when she was cast as Major. Finally, I said "fuck this shit" when the first trailer came out.

But something changed last week...

I went to see A Cure for Wellness and the trailer for Ghost in the Shell came on and seeing it in big screen, seeing how much money they were dumping into this thing made me kinda go "ehh fuck it, why the fuck not, I'll go see that shit." I still don't have any faith in it but what the hell, I see bad movies all the time and one more couldn't hurt, right? I've been demanding live-action Anime films for ages and here is one right under my nose next month. So yeah...that's where I'm at. I'm gonna go see it, it'll probably, mostly definitely won't be good but I must know, and I have to see it in theaters 'cause if I hate it and people try to defend it with the whole "you had to see it in theater man" bs, I can tell them to stfu.

• 
clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By clagnaught

The look and style of it is very nice and I like Scarlet Johansson. I don't have a lot love for the original movie (it's alright), so the existence of this movie isn't sacrilege to me. If the reviews don't point to this being a trash fire, I will probably see it at some point.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Dixavd

I voted "no" because I know of it but have no desire to see it, but I don't think it's a "complete disgrace" and I think it's unfair to conflate the generic "no" response along with the current issues people have against the casting of the film. It artificially makes the number of people who have an issue with the film seem higher, while also stripping those that do have a nuanced negative opinion of their power to express it.

I know this is a dumb poll, but I wanted to get that out of the way now before people in the thread take the "no it's a complete disgrace" option as indicative of the number of people taking umbrage with the casting.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

I think the franchise is overrated.

Oshii's first movie has the best filmic tone, but it has some stiff animation during exposition dumps and the story is a little hard to follow because of how it staples together chapters from the manga. I still rate it pretty high. Maybe a 7/10. I'm a sucker for this kind of story and tone. Akira was always more impressive, though.

The original manga is good and features the best looking Kusanagi. I wish the other versions had wardrobes as snazzy.

Stand Alone Complex has that terrible leotard and the blandest looking face for Kusanagi, caused by the more stylized modern art styles and cheaper animation. It has some stories that are rather dull, but it's good overall.

I have no confidence in the movie. It's the most uninteresting kind of adaptation. An imitation of another film. Why does it need to exist if it doesn't even try to be its own thing? The major sticks out over the CGI backgrounds. The scene in which she is fighting the hacker in the water looks bad. Because the scene is so similar to how it plays in the original movie, I can't help comparing it and finding it bland. The movie seems generic from the dialogue and appears to miss the point. I might see it when it's on home video.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Soon as it comes to home streaming (I'm an amazon digital guy) I'll take a look. I like Ghost in the Shell (the 1st movie, and S.A.C.) but it's not a must see in the movies for me.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they got the look right. don't know about in theaters, but i'll see it eventually. didn't get the hate, beyond the general hollywood-doesn't-have-original-ideas-anymore angle.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StrikeALight

Well, you can't already improve on perfection, but I won't be mortified if it ends up being a disaster.

I'll probably wait for home release.

Edit - also, as the above poster recognised - it looks like they may have got the look right, but in the context of things, it could be like the Silent Hill movie where the feel is completely borked.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It might take a while, but yeah I'll probably watch it. It looks acceptably adapted as far as I can see. That said, I like gits a fair bit, but I'm hardly a superfan.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brackstone

I have not experience with GitS, but I love cyberpunk, so I'll see it. That said, between the director, Scarlett Johansson and some really quite ugly shots from the trailers, I'm not expecting it to be good.

But hey, at least it's got Takeshi Kitano and Michael Wincott.

emumford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a person who falls into the category of option 2 of this poll, I can't help but feel this is going to be a visually stunning movie that meanders around pulling in short jabs of "HEY REMEMBER THIS FROM THE MOVIE/SHOW/MANGA? I SURE DO! *gleeful screeching* " all the while piling upon an unintelligent mess of a plot. But, knowing me i'll be in a theater opening weekend hating myself and trying my best not to yell obscenities at the screen..

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being a fairly big fan of the original movie, and even the second one, I'm looking forward to GitS: Hollywood but not for any hope of it being good. Might be entertaining though?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I think it looks kinda cool so I'll probably rent it when it comes out on home video.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched the original for the first time last year (or the year before that) and besides the visuals and few selected scenes, it really wasn't anything too special in my opinion. Akira on the other hand was excellent and I'm not really a fan of anime in general.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Probably no for me. I'm not above watching it at some point but it has zero appeal to me personally. I know @babychoochoo's answer to this poll must be a resounding yes....

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'll see it. I like Ghost in the Shell because I liked Masanori Ota (Masamune Shirow) other works like Dominion, Black Magic and of course Apple Seed. I guess for most people the entry point for GitS was the anime, but for me it was always the manga translated from Studio Proteus. We were lucky the highlights of many manga artist/writers/producers were reprinted fairly well in the the United States in the 1980/90s. (I have three boxes of manga/comics in my parents basement I need to sell...)

I don't see why there is so much controversy about Scarlett Johansson. That how movies are made - well known stars put asses in seats. Scarlett has a rep for stunts, decent acting chops, and making nerds toss money out to see her in a theater...her stare is robotic too. If the live action development team has any talent she CAN do the role well...so it IS/WAS on the writers, directors, and producers to get what they need for fans out of her abilities. The role could have been done by a Japanese actress or one who was from Asia, but that was not on the table which is sad, but you don't blame people who have to front the money. The movie was in 'production hell' since 2008, so it needed a Scarlett Johansson to even have it see the light of day or have anyone who has dumped money in up front for planning to get any payback. The need for more roles for more women and for more representation is real, but that has to be played out before roles are cast not after.

Bottom-line: The movie could suck, but it looks interesting enough in trailers to see in theaters, if the reviews are positive.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked "If the reviews are decent," but what I really mean is "If the reviews are very good."

I very rarely go out to the movies anymore, but I really like cyberpunk and movies so rarely get it right. I don't care about GitS, but if this is a good blockbuster in a genre I like, I'm all for it. If its just a decent/average blockbuster, like most Marvel movies, I'll probably skip it though.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely go the movies nowadays, maybe once every year or two, but I might actually go and see this one...

I think I like the idea of a Ghost in the Shell movie (and SJ) more than the actual movie that'll come out.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Ghost in the Shell smashes box office records as moviegoers indifferently shrug and say 'i mean i guess ill see it'"

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Voted "not planning to" because I have no intention to see it. I doubt anyone'll ask me to, though. So in all likelihood it's a no.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point no, but based on positive reviews from some critics I like, sure I could be persuaded!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you're going to make a poll, "No, it's a complete disgrace," being the only flat out no option in a poll with 11 options is kind of ridiculous. Been seeing this a lot with polls people make lately. Just put straightforward answers and stop trying to make your answers assume something out of your poll takers.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna watch it, but only when it comes out on DVD. I don't really care about seeing it in theaters.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

Probably no for me. I'm not above watching it at some point but it has zero appeal to me personally. I know @babychoochoo's answer to this poll must be a resounding yes....

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT IT IS.

But in all honesty, my fanboying has kinda cooled down a bit and the more footage I see, the more I expect this thing to be a trainwreck. I mean...I never expected this to great anyway, but I was hoping for something that would be passable at the least.

I cannot figure out why the shit they decided to use Kuze for this movie. He's such a cool fucking character that they're using to seemingly rehash the plot of a billion other scifi movies for a franchise that is full of great, original stories.

Also, that one CG shot of her coming out of optic camo still looks like shit. Fucking TRIGGERED.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By gundogan

I'm going to watch since I like GitS, but I don't think it will be any good.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: I'm coming at it as a fan and from that angle, I think I've covered a ton of ground. I should've I thought to give non-fans more options but the poll is for fun, you don't have to be angry about it. If you have different feelings on it, just write it down like others have.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

GitS is an excellent film that does not need a live action Hollywood adaptation, that is my stance on this subject.

Also anime is for jerks.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was very open to this - I like Scarlet Johansson and I love GitS and I was perfectly okay with the casting and excited about seeing a big budget sci fi movie - but god damn as soon as I saw the first trailer I was ready to burn it to the ground. Scarlet Johansson just doesn't do it for me at all in the role; feels completely out of place and not digging literally any scene I've seen here in so far (I just don't see any traits of the Major in her, my brain immediately rejected her as Motoko). Again I actually enjoy her movies and all (I even liked Lucy for what it was) just maaaaaaaaaaan I dont know. As it was, I don't think a 2hr movie is a best medium for GitS - would have much preferred a Netflix/HBO style show where you can actually deal with long term story telling, character and world development in the style of the manga or SAC seasons. While I like the orignal movie for its styyyyyyyyyyyyle - its not a great a movie and the manga and SAC seasons were much superior IMHO.

In summary - I now have very little faith in the move being done well, although I like the actress in the main role - it completely takes me out of the experience and my brain is just not accepting her, and I have no faith in it not being an overly CG'd cluster F.

Unless it gets amazing reviews - not seeing it in theaters. I don't need to get angry about some BS hollywood take on something I love again (I still have nightmares about suicide squad )

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is the "I want to see it but nobody I know likes Ghost in the Shell and i'm not going to the cinema by myself" option?

Pretty specific I know but there have been a bunch of movies like that. I think it will be about as good/bad as that Aeon Flux movie, granted GitS is much better source material, but still.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

Where is the "I want to see it but nobody I know likes Ghost in the Shell and i'm not going to the cinema by myself" option?

Pretty specific I know but there have been a bunch of movies like that. I think it will be about as good/bad as that Aeon Flux movie, granted GitS is much better source material, but still.

I go to the cinema by myself. It's right down the street. I occasionally get stares, but I don't care. I find it funny that it's such a taboo. I very rarely go to the cinema, though.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@liquiddragon: It's something I've been noticing in a few polls lately and it's just getting on my nerves.. even though I admittedly know that's silly and I shouldn't let it. It's when one side of answers are reasonable and then the other side is hyperbolic.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Yes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Don't like any of the animated features past the original movie.

Will probably go watch this in theaters - half hopeful curiosity, half morbid curiosity.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GundamGuru

As someone with a lot of nostalgia for Stand Alone Complex, as well as the movies, I probably won't see it unless a my friends go. I've got nothing against Scarlett Johansson, she's a talented and beautiful actress, but she wasn't the right choice for the role, in my opinion.

It's similar to how I felt about the casting choice of Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan Noonien Singh in Star Trek: Into Darkness. Though in that case, my passion of all things Star Trek meant that I saw it release weekend anyway.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I will consider watching it once it comes to redbox, in the same way I've considered watching the Warcraft movie for the last few months.

Like, don't get me wrong, they certainly understand the aesthetic, and Scarlett Johansson is an acceptable choice to play Major Kusanagi (because seemingly most of her recent roles are emotionally distant and/or badass ladies), but there's no way in hell a lot of the things I like about Ghost in the Shell survive the big-budget hollywood adaption machine intact.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By soulcake

For those who do not know.

Loading Video...

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put "No, It's a complete disgrace" but not because of "White-washing" or anything else like that. From what we have seen so far from the trailers, my impression is that this looks like it is going to be a compilation or "greatest hits" of the entire Ghost in the Shell franchise with Scarlet Johansson cosplaying in different Major outfits and different scenes from different series show up as to reassure fans, "See? we know ghost in the shell because we have Kuze, the spider tank, and her red leather outfit." The story seems to be weird compilation from different series as well. It looks like it's taking some cues from the 1995 film and the second season of Stand Alone Complex.

I mean, if this appeals to the majority of fans, then that's fine. Fan service movies can be fun. But if it bombs for reasons like poor acting,editing, or writing... well that just makes me sad, because then it is going to deter people from wanting to watch the original content and which will still more than likely be better than whatever premise this new movie is trying to go for. It would take a lot of convincing for me to go see this.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a GITS fan more or less, so I'll see it if reviews for it are very good. I voted for the "if reviews are decent" option.

We'll see. I have no expectations. If it sucks I won't cry about it. If it's good, that'll be sweet.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'll watch it when it comes to Amazon video. Just can't see myself going to the theatre for it.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I plan to watch it at a theater. I'm not super crazy about Ghost in the Shell but I liked the movie and Stand Alone Complex. I'm going in with low expectations. Can't leave with any thought worse than "Well, I wasn't expecting the movie to be super amazing and turns out it wasn't so there we go."

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the reviews are good. I don't know why anyone would want to see it if they are bad or why anyone wouldn't want to see it if they are good.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now this is just me but being Native I've always hated Hollywood and it's whitewashing. It would take an extremely good movie to make me get past that. Call me skeptical but this movie doesn't look like it'll be more than "meh" for various reasons, one of which is that classic anime like GitS and Akira haven't aged very well. GitS is up it's own ass the same way a college freshman who just took their first philosophy class is and while the manga Akira is still legit, the manga is kind of a mess and I'm glad it's not getting further sullied by Hollywood as the live action version of it with De Caprio was axed years ago.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By intro

Yes but I work at a theater and see movies for free. Otherwise I'd probably wait until it was on demand/dvd.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I do like me some GiTS, and I think they're going to be doing a movie + dinner thing at the Alamo Drafthouse nearby, so I'll probably go to that.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe. ...If I actually ever get around to watching Ghost in the Shell.

I was always more of a Satoshi Kon kind of guy.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like GitS a lot. Watched most of the movies and the TV series. And I'm completely confused about what this thing is actually going to be. The trailer is a mess of references to various GitS scenes from different GitS' movies and TV episodes (most specifically the opening scenes of the first and second movie - two entirely different things separated internally by a significant amount of time.) Are they mashing everything into one movie? If that's the case, it's going to be train wreck of style-over-substance. Yes, the action bits are super cool in GitS, but ultimately they're a slow-burn, psychological, political thriller kind of thing. I'm not hopeful they can nail that formula correctly. I'll only go see it in theaters if it reviews very well. Otherwise, I'll relegate it to the download-it-sometime pile.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know anything about Ghost in the Shell but I'll go see a cyberpunk movie, sure. Then I can compare it to Blade Runner 2049.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I am willing to give the movie a chance. I am enjoy the original animated film very much. I am not going get upset if it's not a one-to-one adaptation of the original source material like the manga. If people going to spend time complaining about Hollywood having no original ideas as the main reason reason why this film exist. That ship sailed a long time ago.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah, a friend and I who are big fans of Ghost in the Shell are going to hatewatch it when it comes out.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the visual imagery looks great, but that's about all it seems to have going for it. The biggest issue for me is the casting of Scarlett Johansson and other white or non-Asian actors.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I have way to high standards for me to consider this anything other than a failure, especially with the casting of Scarlett, but I've been asked to go by fellow GITS fans so I'll check it out.