Are you going to watch Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You! ?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Are you going to watch Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You! ? (36 votes)

Yes 31%
No 69%
I've already seen it and I'm gonna tell you if you should or not. (comment below) 0%

I just discovered this and kinda got excited. For the 20th anniversary and 20th film of Pokemon, they are retelling the story of Ash and Pikachu's Indigo League adventure. I don't know how they did it but it looks like a greatest hits of the 1st season. I've long moved on from Pokemon but there was a time when I basically knew nothing else (1st and 2nd gen mega fan here) and for the 1st time in forever, I feel like I can find my way into a new Pokemon product.

For old timers like me, the thing you should know is that they got rid of Brock and Misty. As the first film in the Sun and Moon series, they've conjured up 2 new companions in their place. I know, I know, that's fucked.

Anyway, the movie is coming out in November and here is an English sub of a Japanese trailer and the English dubbed teaser below:

• 
DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

...No Brock!? NO BROCK?! Are they at least doing gold plated cards at burger king?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've known about this since its gradual reveal (I follow quite a few Pokémon-specific sites) so I'm invested enough to watch it at some point. The official Pokemon site has rotating episodes (and sometimes films) available for free on their website and app, which I infrequently dip into. The Anime has its ups-and-downs, but overall its approachable and enjoyable. They've even had some longer detailed arcs in recent seasons. When this inevitably appears there, I'll probably check it out.

Some of my favourite films are Pokemon ones because of how they capture an essence of childlike optimism that even Studio Ghibli sometimes forgets in their search for more powerful storytelling. My favourite is Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea but the baby-like characterisation of Manaphy could definitely annoy some. Also, I'm a sucker for a good chosen hero's story (and that's the basic plot of every Pokemon movie). The films have an even worse track record than the Anime does, but some of them are certainly worth seeing (and you don't need to watch them in Japanese to appreciate them).

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Wait...20th Pokemon film? Fucking seriously? I lost track after the fourth one, I think, haha.

But you know what? I could totally see this. I remember my dad taking me to see the first two in theaters when I was child. I was so heavily into Pokemon then and wouldn't mind reliving my enjoyment of that original story line. No Brock or Misty is kind of a bummer, though.

Are they at least doing gold plated cards at burger king?

I still have the Pikachu one at my dad's house. I wonder how much it's worth these days?

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For old timers like me, the thing you should know is that they got rid of Brock and Misty. As the first film in the Sun and Moon series, they've conjured up 2 new companions in their place. I know, I know, that's fucked.

What the fuck

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nicksmi56

Nah. The one thing that would've made me watch it would be if my girlfriend wanted to see it, but getting rid of Brock and Misty pissed her off. I guess I'll just watch the old episodes if I'm feeling nostalgic.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_: when I sold my cards in the early 00's they weren't worth anything. And I'm not bitter about it... I swear.