At the crossroad of Blu-ray library...

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Geralt

Hey...people, I need your two cents on a kinda crucial decision here. I have roughly 60 blu-ray in my possession and about 30-ish more in my "save for later" cart on Amazon.

Now I can;

- soldier on with my collection and in a few years ending up say "well, fuck me" to myself when 4k media comes around

- soldier on with my collection and be perfectly fine with my decision since HD is kinda sufficient resolution for my mortal eyes

- or sell everything I got, cash-out some of that money while I can and use it for a new gaming PC or whatever

For your consideration, I live in a country where streaming services are not available in any shapes or forms.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By kristov_romanov

Personally I am going with the 2nd option for myself. My eyes can't really notice the difference with "retina" i-devices, so I don't think I will get anything extra out of a higher than blu-ray quality format at 10 feet.

I guess it depends on how good your eyes and funds are.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DelroyLindo

Hd is fine for me. I'm unlikely to ever have a tv larger the the 42" one i currently own, so any leap in resolution will barely be noticeable anyway.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geralt

2nd choice seems reasonable, I do agreed with all of you. But remember when we saw DVD and blu-ray for the first time?

Mind blown...

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bell_End

@kristov_romanov said:

Personally I am going with the 2nd option for myself. My eyes can't really notice the difference with "retina" i-devices, so I don't think I will get anything extra out of a higher than blu-ray quality format at 10 feet.

I guess it depends on how good your eyes and funds are.

well having poor vision is another thing.

i can totally notice the difference with retina displays, but i wouldn't be upgrading my TV for at least another 10 years.

for me i have the 3 times rule. if im not going to watch a film 3 times i won't buy it. i find it a pointless waste to have racks of movies i will NEVER watch

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ZoomyRamen

@darpa: Diminishing returns will play a bigger part in the next jump.

VHS to DVD was actually mind blowing.

DVD to Blu-Ray was...It was awful when the damn things cost so much but now that they are cheaper it's much easier to appreciate the higher quality.

Blu-ray to whatever comes next will probably be minimal or at least unnoticeable for a very, very long time.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268

Option 2 

It's not like I regret owning all the DVDs and VHS tapes I have. Although, I don't own a single blu-ray movie yet. I've been meaning to change that though. That said, I'm a pretty conservative movie buyer. If it's a movie I know I will see many times (like the Spider-man trilogy or the Batman trilogy) then fine but I'd rather not watch a movie at all than buy it to watch it once and then have it waste space.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Fearbeard

I'd go with option #2.

4K is still a long ways away, and Blu-ray will hold up just fine for quite awhile. As long as all purchases are being made for enjoyment over the next few years then you won't regret any of them. All media will be outdated eventually, so even when 4K becomes common there will be another technology waiting on the wings.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By DeF

@darpa said:

- soldier on with my collection and be perfectly fine with my decision since HD is kinda sufficient resolution for my mortal eyes

I highly doubt we'll see a mass exodus from HD to something like 4k within the next 10 years or more. People haven't even fully moved over to HD yet. SD was around for more than half a century.

You will not be buying a new TV that takes up a whole wall in your living room to take advantage of 4k for a very very long time, believe me.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By probablytuna

Make a poll.

Also I suggest just keep with the Blu-Ray collection. That's what I'm doing. I only just started collecting movies in Blu-Ray and I probably have over 60 movies as well.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones

2nd option. What are some films in your save for later category?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By dichemstys

I'm still blown away by Blu-Rays, so that's where I'm going.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By stinky

@Jack268 said:

Option 2 It's not like I regret owning all the DVDs and VHS tapes I have. Although, I don't own a single blu-ray movie yet. I've been meaning to change that though. That said, I'm a pretty conservative movie buyer. If it's a movie I know I will see many times (like the Spider-man trilogy or the Batman trilogy) then fine but I'd rather not watch a movie at all than buy it to watch it once and then have it waste space.

used to copy loads of VHS tapes, but then found that i never watched them. now i just dont feel the need to own movies.

i try to avoid shelf purchases, owning for owning's sake.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vaportra1l

4k Blus are already planned and should be out in the next couple of years. 4k TVs are already on the market, albeit not in the US but they do exist and will be more widespread in the next few years as well. Streaming 4k is not going to be an option for quite awhile, maybe when Gigabit Internet is available widely.

I have quite a large DVD collection, probably around 800 discs and now over 300 Blus and still 150 or so HD-DVD. So I'd say do whatever makes you happy today. I am more selective in my buying habits nowadays but I'm sure I'll end up rebuying a large amount of my blus when they hit Super Blu or whatever the fuck they call it.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Barrock

Personally I love my blu-ray collection. Streaming is nice but it isn't always available and it doesn't have special features.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vaportra1l

@GrantHeaslip: Yes 1080p is streaming today but it is not even comparable to a Blu in terms of quality. Blu-ray spec is a max of 48 mbps dedicated to Audio and Video. Youtube 1080p is somewhere around 5 mbps. I've seen somewhere that 4k blus will be about 200 mbps. For most people, Youtube 1080 is probably acceptable for a majority of people but it wouldn't fly for the enthusiast market.

I think confusing the consumers is the goal of all consumer electronics companies so I'm sure it won't make a ton of sense. But hey I get like 10 different versions of movies with some of my Blus, maybe they'll just bundle 4k like that. I've got movies with a 3d version, 2d, digital copy and a DVD all in one, why not add a 4k and a 4k 3d? lol

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BoFooQ

I would just keep what you have, one I don't think 4K will be available or cost effective for years. Look at 3D movies, most movies still are not in 3D and most that are are just special effects added later to sucker more money out of people. Two, selling what you already have will probably not get you very much. Personally I have 300-400 DVDs and 40 blu-rays, I almost never rebuy something I own. That said I do plan on getting extended LOTR bluray sometime, and maybe starwars set. Currently though I have been buying cheap used old DVDs. My last order was swing vote, the big hit, drinking games, used cars, and 3 pack of B vampire movies and the whole thing cost under $20. When Avengers and batman goes on sell I'll buy the bluray.

this reminds me, have you seen the marvel phase 1 collection on amazon, it's $150 and you get all the movies in bluray and most in 3D, even though I own half them already I can't stop thinking about buying it for some reason.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravenlight

#3: blow it all on PC gaming. Provided, of course, that you have the bandwidth to support downloading all of the sweet, sweet games

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By plaintomato

Just ask yourself...what ever happened to my DVD collection? Or otherwise if I did have one what would I do with it now?

On the upside, someday they'll be antiques.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Geralt

@Sackmanjones said:

2nd option. What are some films in your save for later category?

Twilight zone original series, Out of sight, Trading places, etc.You know...classics! Oh...and I love Criterion too. Expand the horizon a little bit.

I guessed I'll stay in the vicious cycle a little longer as most of you suggested. I'll be starting this topic again in five years and I want "I told you so" comments as much as this community can provide.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

1080p content will scale up to 4k TVs so well that I'd actually be completely fine with not buying movies I have on Blu-Ray again on whatever format will be common for 4k content.