Avengers Age of Ultron Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

• 98 results
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Hey planning to see Avengers this weekend? Come discuss your thoughts over here.

I'll personally try and catch it sometime this weekend, if not then maybe next week. I'm expecting a giant popcorn spectacle with all the tropes of a Joss Whedon written / directed film. One of my favorite things about Marvel licensed movies is all the easter egg and crossover with their other Marvel movie properties so I can't wait to just watch and try and pick them out one by one.

No Caption Provided

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

I really liked it!

I'll just spoiler block these thoughts, even though the thread's clearly labelled for spoilers.

Ultron himself was a little disappointing. I didn't have a problem with him being funny (and he was quite funny), but when the chips were down I expected him to be more threatening and intense instead of just... still funny. It never felt like he'd reached Avengers level villain, even when the gravity of his big scheme was revealed. His moment with Vision at the end was fantastic though.

If I sit here and think about it I'm sure everything would all add up to "yeah, he's big trouble", but when watching the movie I never really felt like the Avengers weren't gonna handly take this. I mean, of course they're gonna win, but Loki (plus the Chitauri army) came across as much more of a challenge than Ultron and his legion. I guess overall the movie was more entertaining because of the connections to the overall MCU and some of the character moments than the actual whole Ultron plot.

And you know what, that's all totally okay, because Vision stole the whole goddamn show. So awesome to see him on the big screen. I hope they start killing off more heroes though. Then when Infinity War happens they can all come back in some spectacular fashion.

Because seriously, I wanna see more Quicksilver.

I really, really like that they ended it with an introduction to the New Avengers, and also that they finally called out the infinity stones all showing up. To be honest, I'm mostly just more excited for Civil War (and Phase 3 in general) after this. But still, this one's a great time!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loved it! In the first one, we knew who the characters were, but we still needed the team to get together. This one we just cut right to them avenging the shit out of things.

As a comic fan, I'm a little put out by a couple of choices they make regarding relationships that have never been a thing in the comics, but otherwise I thought it was a blast.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

Simply put, I really enjoyed it. It doesn't really do anything new as far as marvel movies go in terms of how things unfold. If you're bored of the formula, you won't see a spark of life here. I'm not there yet though, so I loved it.

I enjoyed the new characters they introduced and I had no idea that one in particular was going to be making an appearance. Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch were both good characters. No real complaints about them. The quips between Quicksilver and Hawkeye had the whole theater laughing. I felt like Hawkeye got a lot more attention this time around which was nice. For the most part things seemed to be centered on Iron Man (he creates Ultron after all) and Captain America who is completely opposed to Stark's line of thinking. Although they exchanged a friendly goodbye with each other at the end of the movie, I couldn't help but feel like they were using this movie as an opportunity to build up the tension between the two characters for the upcoming Civil War. The "relationship" between Banner and Natasha was interesting to see unfold but didn't really feel all that significant. Thor didn't seem to have much going on in this movie aside from being with the group and having his visions. I guess he was technically the deciding factor on creating a certain someone as well, so there's that. Oh and the hammer jokes were hilarious; can't forget that.

Overall, great action and humor, but I didn't really expect anything less from Marvel at this point. Nothing revolutionary to the formula however. The new characters may breathe some fresh life into things, but we'll have to wait and see I suppose. It's hard to be disappointed with knowing that the avengers are swapping their people out a bit because the characters coming in have been so good so far.

Edit: Oh wait, one thing that did bother me was more of an issue with the initial trailer from the winter. A lot of the doomsday style our heroe's are being beaten scenes they showed in the trailer (cap's shield broken for example) just ended up being hallucinations brought on by Scarlet Witch. That was really disappointing because it felt like Ultron never amounted to being as threatening as I thought he was going to be. I thought Ultron was going to kick ass and things were going to get dark real fast, but that never happened. He was funny and his voicework was excellent, but he wasn't as threatening as I expected.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By CoinMatze

I would consider myself a fan of the MCU having seen all the movies except for Thor 2. AOU might be my least favorite. I guess the action is "fun" and easy to follow but all the quieter scenes were hokey and, even worse, completely unearned, something the other Marvel movies avoided. Or maybe they were always like this and binge watching Daredevil just a few weeks ago upped my expectations for what this comic stuff could be.

The forced romance plot between Widow and Hulk was the absolute worst and felt like it was just in there because someone had to cross off some things on a checklist. Similarly, they teased Hawkeye's death throughout the whole movie to set up a sad scene/revenge scene only to, at the last second, give it to someone I didn't care about. Probably better this way.

Ultron never feels like a serious threat. He's just this goober with a bit too much power. Complete waste of James Spader.

I really wanted to like it but I just didn't care. A few good laughs were had. The Hulkbuster scene was cool, even though I feel like it undermined the Hulk's power. The trailers made it look like this would be the MCU's Empire but it was more like Phantom Menace heyoo

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would consider myself a fan of the MCU having seen all the movies except for Thor 2. AOU might be my least favorite. I guess the action is "fun" and easy to follow but all the quieter scenes were hokey and, even worse, completely unearned, something the other Marvel movies avoided. Or maybe they were always like this and binge watching Daredevil just a few weeks ago upped my expectations for what this comic stuff could be.

The forced romance plot between Widow and Hulk was the absolute worst and felt like it was just in there because someone had to cross off some things on a checklist. Similarly, they teased Hawkeye's death throughout the whole movie to set up a sad scene/revenge scene only to, at the last second, give it to someone I didn't care about. Probably better this way.

Ultron never feels like a serious threat. He's just this goober with a bit too much power. Complete waste of James Spader.

I really wanted to like it but I just didn't care. A few good laughs were had. The Hulkbuster scene was cool, even though I feel like it undermined the Hulk's power. The trailers made it look like this would be the MCU's Empire but it was more like Phantom Menace heyoo

Came out of the screening with the same thought. It isn't Phantom Menace-levels of braindead, not by a long shot. But it doesn't come close to the sheer novelty or satisfaction of the first Avengers film. A lot of the film felt directionless. Big action setpieces just kind of happened because they had to. And, boy, Ultron himself was hysterically underwhelming.

I don't know. I don't think it's worse than The Incredible Hulk. Most people are still going to say Iron Man 2 is worse. That's probably true. Avengers 2 is a movie that exists. One that doesn't fail. But one that does the bare minimum to meet expectations.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By gatehouse

I really, really enjoyed it when I saw it last week. It's not quite as funny as the first film, but it's possibly better at the little character moments between the explosions, with Black Widow kinda stealing the show for me.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By theacidskull

I went in really skeptical and I ended up liking the movie more than the first one, which means that AoU is the best Marvel movie for me.

I can understand why people are somewhat disappointed in Ultron, but to me, he was absolutely excellent. I remember Whedon saying early in the production phase that he wrote Ultron to be a completely insane monster, and as someone who was expecting just that, I wasn't disappointed. I don't know why people are getting the "funny" vibe from him, I mean, sure he had a moment or two, but he seemed like a creepy robot trying to grasp humanity, and they pretty much maintained that presence throughout the movie. Also, Whedon got the most important quality about Ultron, which is his hypocrisy - in the comics, not matter how hard Ultron claims that humanity is a cancer that needs to be cut out, he is still very human himself. This is something they conveyed fantastically in the movie, and I'm sad the most fans failed to notice it. Plus, the constant parallels between him and Stark were great, since it helped develop Ultron as a character and as a villain. My only gripe with him was that he wasn't all that powerful, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed when a villain can use his/her wits to defeat his enemies, but Ultron is such a monumentally strong antagonist in the comics, it's sad not to see him go up against the Hulk or Thor both at the same time or something along thous lines. What I'm saying is, I like personal big battles like the one we saw in Man Of Steel, and while the action was no doubt spectacular, I was still slightly upset.

And speaking of action, holy fucking shit, the HulkBuster Iron Man vs Hulk fight was the best comic book fight to this date. As a Hulk fan, I was 100% satisfied. Iron man was the underdog throughout the entire battel, meaning Hulk was shown to be more powerful every step of the way. Iron man did win, but it was only after Hulk snapped out of his mind control phase and calmed down. Plus, this fight had absolutely everything you could want, destruction, humor, tension, and high stakes. If they can bring more fights like this, I'm all in.

Moreover, the whole "twins" thing kind of worked out better than I had hoped. They weren't just expendable income, they were seriously developed, fleshed out characters. I honestly thought nothing could beat the X-men DOFP quicksilver, but I was definitely wrong about that. I also thought that Hawkeye would yet again be another uninteresting character, but his arc was easily one of the best things about AoU. Seriously, after this, I honestly hope they even give Renner his own damn film, or at the very least, I hope he appears more often in different MCU movies. My biggest fears about this film were that there was too much shit crammed in to it, or that's how it seemed, but Whedon managed to tie everything neatly.

So yeah, aside from one plot-hole and a few gripes, this is without a doubt my favorite superhero movie next to The Dark Knight, which I thought was impossible after the first Avengers, but hey, live and learn.

A solid 9 out of 10 for me.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The forced romance plot between Widow and Hulk was the absolute worst and felt like it was just in there because someone had to cross off some things on a checklist.

This was my first reaction, but in the end it made a lot of sense.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was great, and definitely one of the best MCU movies. Still, probably more into The Winter Soldier, but I at least thought it was better than the first Avengers(which was my second favorite MCU movie).

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it, but it kinda just felt more of the same. No disappointing or anything, maybe i'm just having Super Hero burn out.

One thing I would change is have less snarky one liners, individually the were almost all funny, but the quantity was just too much. I guess everyone wanted to have a Whedonish catch phrase.

Thor and Cap being all quippy like Spiderman just never does it for me, Sure give them each a moment but over all those two are the straight men that Tony Stark and Hawkeye would be bantering off, like the "Watch your language" joke that continued throughout the movie, that was great, but I don't need Thor playing drinking games with Stan Lee or telling he is "Mighty"

But it really was a vehicle to introduce the new team because everyone's contracts were up, So I am looking forward to seeing the new guys take the field.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought Ultron was quite lame, when he first showed up you could tell they were really trying the mimic The Joker in TDK, however towards the end he turned more into a quirky villain like Loki in the first film. The film focused a lot on Black Widow and Hawkeye which are the least interesting characters to me at least, the BW romance stuff was really bad, and so out of place. The ending fight was pretty much the same as the first movie, fight of waves of throw away bad guys while trying to save civilians, i've never really felt this feeling in a film before but i honestly felt the movie was too long. Normally i don't care if a movie is 4 hours long i sit through it, but there were parts of this movie where i was just figiting in my seat because i was bored.

Also the Russian accents were TERRIBLE!!

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Simply put, I really enjoyed it. It doesn't really do anything new as far as marvel movies go in terms of how things unfold. If you're bored of the formula, you won't see a spark of life here. I'm not there yet though, so I loved it.

I enjoyed the new characters they introduced and I had no idea that one in particular was going to be making an appearance. Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch were both good characters. No real complaints about them. The quips between Quicksilver and Hawkeye had the whole theater laughing. I felt like Hawkeye got a lot more attention this time around which was nice. For the most part things seemed to be centered on Iron Man (he creates Ultron after all) and Captain America who is completely opposed to Stark's line of thinking. Although they exchanged a friendly goodbye with each other at the end of the movie, I couldn't help but feel like they were using this movie as an opportunity to build up the tension between the two characters for the upcoming Civil War. The "relationship" between Banner and Natasha was interesting to see unfold but didn't really feel all that significant. Thor didn't seem to have much going on in this movie aside from being with the group and having his visions. I guess he was technically the deciding factor on creating a certain someone as well, so there's that. Oh and the hammer jokes were hilarious; can't forget that.

Overall, great action and humor, but I didn't really expect anything less from Marvel at this point. Nothing revolutionary to the formula however. The new characters may breathe some fresh life into things, but we'll have to wait and see I suppose. It's hard to be disappointed with knowing that the avengers are swapping their people out a bit because the characters coming in have been so good so far.

Edit: Oh wait, one thing that did bother me was more of an issue with the initial trailer from the winter. A lot of the doomsday style our heroe's are being beaten scenes they showed in the trailer (cap's shield broken for example) just ended up being hallucinations brought on by Scarlet Witch. That was really disappointing because it felt like Ultron never amounted to being as threatening as I thought he was going to be. I thought Ultron was going to kick ass and things were going to get dark real fast, but that never happened. He was funny and his voicework was excellent, but he wasn't as threatening as I expected.

I felt the same way. While I certainly enjoyed the movie, the feeling of dread I had when that trailer hit was never really there. Sure, Ultron was a big bad, but after a while I felt like he was just full of himself. I was expecting his defeat to be a moment of exalting triumph but instead it was just a bit... anticlimatic.

Also, maybe it's just because I was pretty tired when I went to see the movie, but for me the 3D did not do the fight scenes any favors. When it was just one-on-one fighting it wasn't really a big deal, but when mulitple characters were involved it quickly all became a blur.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yinstarrunner

As a person who is not a huge fan of comic books, but really enjoyed the first Avengers movie, I was disappointed.

This felt like the first Marvel movie I've seen where I was actually confused about what was going on because I hadn't read the comic books. The girl I was with felt the same.

Ultron was lame. His attempts at humor constantly fell (intentionally?) flat for me. Which wouldn't be a problem, except so did everyone else's. The dialogue was not up to Joss Whedon standards, in my opinion.

Should have done more to show Ultron's power. He was a super-dangerous AI, right? But he felt more like a saturday morning cartoon villain. Make him do some more hacky stuff. Like, the worst thing he did was delete the Avenger's files and then FAIL to decrypt nuclear launch codes? Spoooooooooooooooooky.

Subplots that I didn't care about: the boo-hoo twins and the unnecessary romance (because movies NEED that and there's nothing else to DO with these characters!) At least they managed to make Hawkeye interesting.

Best part of the movie was when the credits started rolling, my date turned to me and said, "Is it just me, or was that kind of a hot mess?" I guess she's a keeper.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a pretty bad movie. And it's low tier in the MCU.

I thought the movie, quite honestly, sucked. I thought it was a bad movie and is taking its place in the low tier of MCU movies right along with Thor 2, Iron Man 2 and 3, and the first Captain America. I dislike Joss Whedon as a writer, always have, and this movie highlighted exactly why. The only thing of his I liked was Cabin In The Woods and only then as a fan of genre conventions, which was the point that they hit and hit well.

Hulk, and by extension Banner, were completely neutered as characters compared to how he was in the first one (which I was not overly fond of but applauded for its existence and how not fucked up it was), Tony Stark was the only one who showed any actual character and it felt like this movie was more Iron Man 4 than The Avengers 2. The action set pieces were either boring (the intro), anticlimactic (Hulkbuster) or completely free of any actual tension (the end battle), the last one was both the fault of Ultron not being a good villain and the fact that The Avengers themselves had not one but TWO trump cards to the point where everyone else just seemed to get in the way. The acting was fine, except for Quicksilver's terrible accent, but these movies aren't about acting. They're about spectacle and action and on both accounts it failed. Guardians of the Galaxy nailed the spectacle. Winter Soldier is probably the best film in the MCU even with its really silly plot contrivances. The Avengers 2 is just a boring attraction, a misstep on the stairway to what they're actually building towards, which they've done a pisspoor job at building towards thus far but hey, phase three right?

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never really liked the first Avenger's movie, so I had pretty low expectations, but I was actually pretty impressed.

Obviously it's total nonsense, but I think Whedon has learned lessons from the first film - He paces the back end of the movie in a much more engaging way. It's a lot harder to just let your eyes glaze over and wait for the explosions to stop. It's a smart move to try and develop the characters who don't get their own movies, and I think the way they handle Hawkeye with one eye on criticisms of his uselessness really did help me engage with his character - although I can see that it could come over as corny. It's nice to get a bit more depth to Black Widow.

Spader as Ultron is really good - he has a great cadence for monologue - but the character does sort of oscillate weirdly between serious menace and silly goofball.

It's also nice to see them take on, tangentially, some questions about military imperialism in a surprisingly nuanced way that takes in a pretty complete picture of the way that Western countries operate in war-torn countries. Of course my lady friend pointed out that that was probably intended as a way of building towards Civil War, which took the sheen off slightly.

With that said, it's also where I think some of the cracks in Marvel's from-here-to-eternity movie strategy starts to show cracks for me. Not on a business level, where it is clearly working. The main problem for me is that about 20 minutes of this movie are devoted to teasing the whole infinity stone saga or whatever. I'm not a comic reader, and I found all of that just totally uninvolving. It fragments the narrative to no particularly good end.

I also think that as much as I enjoyed this film, it doesn't bode well for the franchise post-Whedon. I was honestly pretty burnt out on Superhero movies before this. Guardians was pretty refreshing, but nothing else in the past two years has filled me with joy. This did - but a lot of that was because Whedon is good at balancing things out with humour. A lot of what makes this film an enjoyable watch is that humour is well deployed to leaven melodrama, action, tension. I think Thor 2 shows you the future of Marvel movies pretty well. Sure, there was funny Loki stuff in it, but it was used as fanservice, essentially, not worked in to the structure of the film.

So yeah. Enjoyable film. Well constructed, meatier than I was expecting, but doesn't turn me around on the Marvel Movie project wholesale.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Instead of talking about Avengers we should all be bitching @rorie for not making a box office winner's league this week.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Instead of talking about Avengers we should all be bitching @rorie for not making a box office winner's league this week.

Had a draft up but didn't have time due to BLLSL prep! I did make a few images though:

No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Okay, all is forgiven.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm on my phone, so I'm not gonna give a long diatribe the likes of which everyone else is, but I will say this. Avengers 1 felt like the culminating of years of build up,and so it had a satisfying element. AoU on the other hand feels more like a set up for the next few years rather than an end cap for phase 2. For that reason, to me at least, it lacked the satisfying impact of the first film.

That all said, I still liked it a lot.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers 1 felt like the culminating of years of build up,and so it had a satisfying element. AoU on the other hand feels more like a set up for the next few years rather than an end cap for phase 2.

I wonder if that is an odd side-effect of Marvel creating their "cinematic universe" as they are. I really loved Iron Man, but the pacing in the sequel was atrocious thanks to a few long and arbitrary scenes that only served to set up his role in The Avengers.

When they're constantly trying to make these movies seem connected and lead into the next thing, they're sort of sacrificing making the best individual movies at the moment.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It was worth waiting for, funny, visually incredible, Ultron wasn't exactly what I was expecting but I liked it all the more for it I feel like I am one of the few people who liked Iron Man 2 for being so witty even if it wasn't a great superhero movie so having a double dose of Iron Man style humor made me pretty happy. I walked out in a very good mood I love these movies Whedon is a master I will be sad when he isn't helming this shit pay him all the money.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it even though it's an obvious placeholder until Infinity War part 1 comes out. The action scenes were fun, the dialogue was as Whedon-y as I wanted it to be, and James Spader Spader-ed it up. I still think Avengers 1 was better but I did have as good of a time here as I did seeing that.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:
@punkxblaze said:

Avengers 1 felt like the culminating of years of build up,and so it had a satisfying element. AoU on the other hand feels more like a set up for the next few years rather than an end cap for phase 2.

I wonder if that is an odd side-effect of Marvel creating their "cinematic universe" as they are. I really loved Iron Man, but the pacing in the sequel was atrocious thanks to a few long and arbitrary scenes that only served to set up his role in The Avengers.

When they're constantly trying to make these movies seem connected and lead into the next thing, they're sort of sacrificing making the best individual movies at the moment.

What's funny is that this is basically the same problem comic books have had (naturally, with some exceptions) for a long time now. Everything just exists to set up events, or as fallout for events. Nothing matters besides the "season finale" and "season premiere". The speed with which the movies settled into this groove is staggering.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was ok, a huge step down from the original and probably about mid-tier in the MCU library.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By DarthOrange

5/5 for me. Favorite MCU movie so far. The Quicksilver and Hawkeye banter was great throughout and the Avengers being shitheads to War Machine and his tank story was great. So was the running gag with Cap and bad words.

Then again my favorite MCU movie before this was Iron Man 3 so maybe I am in the minority.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay. Effects were great, action was great, nothing to complain about there. The plot left a bit to be desired and the drama seemed forced in some places. Not a bad movie, but not a great one. It is not one of the better Marvel movies and the only real stand out great parts (beside the action) were the Hawkeye bits and the hammer/potty mouth jokes. It felt like it was just a transition movie that only existed to set the stage for the more important next Avengers movie.

On a 1-10 it is like a 6 or 7 tops.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Just got back from my second showing. I really liked it and its now my second favorite MCU film after Winter Soldier. 9/10. The first Avengers film is, at best, Iron Man & His Amazing Friends! while the new Avengers film is an Avengers film: everyone gets their moment, everyone is their own character, and no feels like they get short changed.

1. Great action
2. Fun story
3. Awesome characters
4. Avengers act like Avengers and a team.

Compare the way this team of heroes act in this and compare it to Superman in Man of Steel.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

coming from a fan of marvel and dc, I liked this movie but for some reason i didnt love it. I didnt fan boy like i did in the first avengers and I wasnt walking out smiling ear to ear like guardians of the galaxy. Let me make this clear, I DO NOT know jack about the comics so I do not know how characters are depicted beyond the films, a few animated movies, and some wiki reads. Ultron was underwhelming to me. He seemed sinister but he made too many funny quips, like we were back in the 80s or something (like when Hulk jumps into the jet and throws him out and he makes a smart little remark)

My favorite part was right when they were all fighting each other over Stark's idea to power up Vision and everyone was just swinging fists. I thought this would spark the Civil War but it ended after a minute and never really brought up again, unfortunate. I have to say, the attraction and romantic interest between Banner and Widow is done well. How they each see themselves as a monster is a nice meaningful look into their personalities. Obviously Banner thinks he is a monster because of the big green guy and he knows he can never have a normal life because it takes one bad mood to ruin everything and everyone around it. Widow had the most growth I think compared to everyone else. Seeing a glimpse into her past was a good idea and the whole sterilized thing made it the fitting piece to sum up why she feels dehumanized.

I havent seen ironman 3 and based on the reception from the public and my friends I dont want to. However, Stark really is starting to come undone at the seems. I know he kinda had a thing with PTSD in ironman 3 resulting from Avengers 1. Seeing bits and pieces in that here was a good reminder of all the shit he has faced. It is also something not too many super heroes fall victim too either, PTSD I mean. The sense of desperation from Stark of achieving world peace paired with the weight from the burden he feels really came off well this time around.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pyrodactyl

It's weird how the internet seems to be turning on this one. I personally thougth it was an improvement on the first avengers in almost every aspect. A couple fun twists I was not expecting, fantastic action set pieces and good character devellopment. Ultron was a great vilain that felt much more menacing than loki.

They could've developped the twins further but there's so much stuff in this movie already. I bet they'll flesh out vision and scarlet witch in futur movies anyway.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Here are some random thoughts on the movie.

The fight sequence between Hulkbuster Iron Man & The Hulk was one of the greatest fanboy wilding out moments I've ever had when watching a movie. You actually get to see the brutality along with the possible casualties and destruction that those two fighting had on the people of the city around them. Good job on Whedon to cut to civilians in cars and the streets running away from them as they brawled on the streets of Wakanda.

The cameos, so many cameos. The callbacks and guest appearances were plenty. If Avengers A.O.U is suppose to be the closing bookmark to phase 2 it certainly did a good job as a jumping off point for each characters separate movie coming up in phase 3.

Vision might be one of my favorite characters in the Marvel Universe. He is a character that is the epitome of redemption in the Marvel universe. Paul Bettany did a great job bringing Vision to life, I have to say I had some issues with how the character understood everything the good vs bad story after coming to life. It does make sense since he does have a little bit of Jarvis in him but I really thought they should of explored the gray areas of the conflict which they didn't quite do. I mean you can only fit so much into one movie.

Hawkeye, is pretty bad ass. I'm not sure how I feel about family man Hawkeye but it just reaffirms that Hawkeye is just a normal dude with a bow and arrow. They finally gave something Jeremy Remer to work with, unsure if he pulled it off at the end though.

The twins, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. I thought their motivation for revenge against Tony Stark seemed like something we've seen time and time again. Scarlet Witch also seems too overpowered in this film which is saying alot considering she's probably weaker than her comic book counterpart. It maybe speaks to how underpowered Ultron is if Scarlet Witch by herself could take out the majority of the Avengers team by herself.

Ultron. He is suppose to be one of the biggest all-time baddies for the Avengers. Smart, maticulous, calculating and he was none of those things. It always seemed that whatever he came up with the Avengers were already one step ahead. Hey, he plans to destroy the world? Nope the Avengers are already here. I thought James Spader was alright but something just felt a little off.

Forced on love story between Hulk and Black Widow. While I enjoyed the chemistry those two shared it was something that probably should of been hinted at and not have every Avenger walk up to Natasha and Bruce and say hey, "you two should probably hook up." The romance dynamic reminds me of something on the level of Superman and Lana Lang or Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy. The dilemma is that the romance it's nice and sweet and all, but we all know at the end of the day Hulk and Betty were destined to be together in the end.

Captain America and Iron Man at the end. If there was suppose to be some major riff between the two that's suppose to set up the Civil War storyline in Captain America 3 I honestly didn't see it. It felt like they said goodbye to each other more as friends then as adversaries. I know they didn't see eye to eye in this film but they also didn't see eye to eye in the last film, which speaks to maybe how this movie is full of a whole lot of nothing. At least the first Avengers film ended with the consequence of revealing themselves to the world and the world facing a cataclysm they've never seen. This film was basically a bunch of been there done that type plot with everything just resetting itself back in place. Fury's back in lead, new Avengers team, and who knows what else.

Ultron was no longer a threat to the Avengers when he lost Vision's body. Vision was suppose to be Ultron's idea of the perfect upgrade for himself with the vibranium body and one of the infinite stones powering it, and he loses it. The movie kinda felt game over from there. No matter how many clones you can make of yourself, no matter how big you make yourself if Vision was suppose to be the God version of yourself then you're pretty much boned. You take away the big baddies trump card and he really doesn't have anything left. Now if Vision was more or less closer to his role in his origin where he served Ultron for a portion of time as an underling then Ultron might of been more of a threat towards the end.

Movie overall is not perfect and some of the jokes weren't as perfect as the first. Still the movie got a decent reception from the crowd, which is the only thing you can really ask for when it comes to a comic book film. As for Whedon, not his best work but I'm hoping he'll continue directing and writing the films. He's one of the few people I think who knows what fans of the franchise want without throwing everything at it like a J.J Abrams film does sometimes.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By butano

During the movie, I had a ton of fun.

After the movie and thinking about it the next day, there seemed to be a lot of details missing here and there and I think a lot of things were removed because they wanted to keep it at the 2 hour mark since the 1st one was almost at 3. The whole Thor shows up and shocks Vision to life still has me confused as to how he knew Vision wouldn't turn on the Avengers just because he held the mind stone.

The best fight out of that movie though was the Hulk vs. Iron Man in the Hulkbuster. The amount of destruction and chaos that unleashed because the Hulk couldn't control himself was just jaw dropping. I was hoping it was hinting towards a World War Hulk storyline, but we'll have to wait and see.

Also, Vision wielding Thor's hammer and everyone's reaction to it was incredible.

EDIT: Overall, I thought Ultron could've been more threatening. The trailers made him seem way more of a deal than they did in the movie. James Spader did a great job with the monologues, but overall the character just kinda didn't live up to the hype. The ending fight scene was like a robot version of Treyarch's Nazi Zombies.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll write a review up in the morning but the basic idea is the movie has shitloads of "Mass Effect" style referential dialogue where they talk about something cool happening without actually showing it which can work in an RPG but sure as hell doesn't work in a movie. There's also just a ton of expository/character building scenes that never really build up to anything other than maybe Jeremy Renner being awesome because he's Jeremy Renner.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By defaultprophet

@fredchuckdave said:

I'll write a review up in the morning but the basic idea is the movie has shitloads of "Mass Effect" style referential dialogue where they talk about something cool happening without actually showing it which can work in an RPG but sure as hell doesn't work in a movie. There's also just a ton of expository/character building scenes that never really build up to anything other than maybe Jeremy Renner being awesome because he's Jeremy Renner.

Man that Hawkeye exposition totally paid off with the look on his face when he saw the kid and knew he was going to have to go save him and also the speech to Scarlet Witch.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might sound sorta stupid, but my overall feeling while watching it was that it's the first Marvel movie I've watched where it feels like they made a comic book into a movie and not made a movie based on a comic book. Now, that might be good or bad based on personal preferance, but it didn't work for me. There's just too much stupid shit in it, like the romance angle, good guy Hawkeye and "more concerned about being funny than evil" villian.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrcraggle

It was a fun pew, pew, pew action flick but it didn't really do much for me. For an Avengers movie where every other movie that Marvel release is one expensive advert for it, it felt very needless. Ultron just seemed like a crappy bad guy. I felt the same about the bad guy in Guardians of the Galaxy too. I'm pretty disappointed by Joss Weadon that he could turn out such a mediocre movie and if you're a casual fan of these movies, it really came across as confusing. At times it felt like you needed a PhD in Marvel lore.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I think AoU suffers from ME2 syndrome. We all know it's part of a trilogy so the stakes simply aren't there. Instead it's much more focused on character moments and developing the cast and we get to fight a dumb looking robot at the end (except Ultron looks pretty cool). I went in with that mindset and had a fantastic time. I thought the Widow/Hulk romance, while unexpected, made perfect sense for the MCU versions of these characters. Hawkeye got to a lot of fantastic screen time and one of the best speeches in the movie. Vision is fucking great and got to do some phasing even if that wasn't explained. Scarlet Witch is one of my favorite characters and she was very well represented.

It didn't rock my world the same way Avengers did, but it's still one of my favorite movies in recent memory.

Also well played Joss Whedon that final cut to credits made guffaw and start clapping a good few seconds before anyone else in the theater.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 49th

I really enjoyed it, I think the team dynamic of the Avengers is fun and makes me like these movies way more than the individual films. The storyline was different to what I was expecting though since I hadn't seen any trailers and didn't know who Ultron was, but I thought the artificial intelligence stuff was interesting and a cool twist when I was just expecting more aliens. I thought they would show Spiderman in the final clip though, especially since most of the Avengers were leaving but they once again teased Thanos for the 10th time. I was expecting Thanos to be a part of this movie but I guess he will be in the next Avengers.

I also thought The Vision guy was pretty lame, I was expecting some kind of demi-god just ripping shit apart but all he did was shoot his laser a few times and punch some robots.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: What! He was literally ripping robots apart!

Another thing that kinda bothered me about the movie is that the whole "turn the Avengers against each other" was kinda Loki's whole plan for dealing with them as well. It's weird, without the twins (Wanda specifically) Ultron probably would've just lost in Wakanda. He really was kind of a chump.

Also, Stark says the same line about space being the endgame. :\

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:

I also thought The Vision guy was pretty lame, I was expecting some kind of demi-god just ripping shit apart but all he did was shoot his laser a few times and punch some robots.

Ye, from what I see it seems to be a case of "If you're into comics and know who this is etc, this is awesome", but for everyone else he's just generic super hero guy that does generic super hero things and just a big question mark as far as who/what he is.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@49th: What! He was literally ripping robots apart!

Another thing that kinda bothered me about the movie is that the whole "turn the Avengers against each other" was kinda Loki's whole plan for dealing with them as well. It's weird, without the twins (Wanda specifically) Ultron probably would've just lost in Wakanda. He really was kind of a chump.

Also, Stark says the same line about space being the endgame. :\

I don't know, he just seemed kind of boring compared to Iron Man or Hulk. Apparently he can phase his body through stuff and harden his skin in the comics but he barely did anything in the film. For a guy that can pick up Thor's hammer I expected him to immediately tear Ultron apart instead of waiting until he was almost dead and essentially mercy killing him.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: There's a brief moment where he phases his hands through a robot before tearing it apart.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:
For a guy that can pick up Thor's hammer I expected him to immediately tear Ultron apart instead of waiting until he was almost dead and essentially mercy killing him.

I suppose, but there was that bit before picking up the hammer where he says he doesn't want to kill Ultron, he wants to help him. His whole thing about being on the side of life also probably informs what sort of fighter he is. He's like a demi-god monk or something.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By liquiddragon  Online

this movie has no energy, no enthusiasm, no rhythm. it's such an expensive looking movie that's just going through the motion, following the formula, doing what it's suppose to do. it's really telling when hawkeye is somehow the most likable of the bunch. AOU has a hand full of good chuckles but feels nothing more than a massive cash in. i know ppl love joss whedon but based on this flick, i don't know why.

i'm glad most ppl seem to be really enjoying it and usually i can see why but with this one, i can't figure it out. honestly, this movie makes furious 7 seem like a master class in hollywood blockbuster entertainment.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I just came back from seeing it. I didn't like it.

There was a lot of ham-fisted plot points that made no sense, new characters that weren't interesting, and a bad guy that seemed tame in comparison to the last film (despite loving the fact that he's played by James Spader which is never not awesome).

It was a really dull, uninteresting, movie.

The first movie was cool and fun, and I liked several of the peripheral movies as well, but this one makes me think maybe they're running out of steam early on the franchise. It was just really uninteresting.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Ultron wasn't as intimidating as I had hoped, killing off Quicksilver was lame, and I wish Warmachine (and Falcon for that matter) got more screen time, but all in all, I would say I loved it. Glad they gave Hawkeye and Hulk some more screen time. As much as I loved the first Avengers, I felt both actors were underutilized considering their talent, but Hawkeye especially got the shaft. That's about it really.

I assume it's safe to say that the events of this movie will be the catalyst of Civil War, but if I may be honest for a second, I kinda just wish the MCU roster was a bit bigger and more fantastical at this point. Despite the problems people have with the comic, I still think seeing so many heroes and villains all together was fucking great. Obviously, having a comparable amount of characters on screen isn't feasible for all sorts of reasons, but still, how many notable characters are there at the moment?

• Captain America
  • Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Black WIdow
  • Nick Fury
  • War Machine
  • Falcon
  • Vision
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Ant-Man
  • Bucky/Winter Soldier
  • Spiderman
  • Black Panther
  • Hulk (?)
  • Hawkeye (?)

That's about it really. I can't imagine it actually feeling like a war as much as it being a battle. There's also Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist, but I could have sworn someone already confirmed that they more than likely won't be showing up at all. I guess there's the folks from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. too, but I don't watch it so I can't say how likely it is anyone from there will make an appearance. But I digress. I love what they've been doing, but man, it doesn't feel like we'll get to appreciate the full breadth of the Marvel universe until Infinity War. Meh, whatever, sorry for veering wildly off topic like that. I just had to get that off my chest. It'll more than likely be another great movie and I'm pretty sure they haven't even started shooting yet sooooo....

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: I wonder if the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff will start bringing in more heroes. Some people have speculated it might be a sort of Avengers Academy which would be a great way to fill-in the ranks before Civil War hits.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BladedEdge

Gonna assume anything you've seen in the trailers isn't spoilers, only tagging big things.

Over all it was not as good as the first movie. I do think however had this been the first movie? It might have been. Some of the things in this movie (the opening the Hulk vs Iron man fight, etc) would have been absolutely excellent in the first film. They were still highlights but fall under "we expect things to be at least this awesome." level.

The romance sub plot between Hulk vs Widow was better then I expected. I think if you knew about it going in and did not think "this is clearly some dude in a suit going "we gotta get some romance to up the ratio of female views so um..those two, their a couple now, make it work!" at least a little bit?..well I know I did at least. But by the end? They made it believable in a way I didn't think they could pull off. Would have been way better if they had hinted it at it in the slightest in the first movie, or anywhere period before this movie but still, they earned a "I do not consider this a waste of my time' level, which is more then I expected by far.

The number of extras was great for me, but seemed like it would be overwhelming for everyone not already up to speed. This seemed like the first "You kinda needed to have seen all of those other movies" moments. Cameo after Cameo which had enough weight and importance that if you didn't know the film they were from, you would be completely lost for minutes at a time. That tells me these movies are beginning to reach the "This requires more work then just go to theater, see movie" which will limit their appeal going forward. It was inevitable of course, the cost of lengthy continuity.

The twins were...kinda so so. The switch-over when it came seemed forced. Like "wait, why do they have lockers with gear that fits them perfectly suddenly?. Little things like that kinda stood out to me. Over all though..

Ok, real spoilers for this so. From the way they built up the movie you knew someone was going to die by the time the film was over. And they did a very very good job convincing the audience it was going to be Hawk eye. Like They give him the "I am the heart of the team" and the "I feel out gunned here among all these gods" and the "Oh by the way, I've actually got this loving family who will miss me, and I'm 2 days away from retiring.." Hell if you didn't catch it just think back to when the death scene occurs. Its absolutely setup for us to know, just as HawkEye does when he proceeds to choose to stand and protect the child instead of saving himself, that this was it, he was going to die..and then of course he doesn't. Bam, its Quicksilver. I thought that was a very well done twist upon audience expectation. Also for what its worth, its almost guaranteed Quicksilver returns. They guy whose life he had saved in the very same movie was given an 'instant poof back to health!" miracle cure. Hawkeye knows such things exist, and he is the the last one we see with quicksilver (Who we never actually get a 'he's dead jim" moment for. They completely wrote themselves an out, which when it happens you can go 'ohh I see what they did to set that up!" for his revival.

The Vision was awesome, and I think he was suppose to be exactly that. It was one of those "Man I wanna go read the comic books with this character, he was cool!" vibes to them, which is always fun..

That said, and the major final point..spoilers again...When the vision appears..that is the end of the movie. The good guys have won. Ultron has handed the hero's a new 'most powerful avenger'. He is literally a walking infinity stone, one of the things we have seen in movie after movie be extremely extremely powerful. For example, unless I misunderstood, both Quicksilver and the scarlet witch got their power from it? With that stone in a staff Loki was a threat to the entire avengers team. The vision though? Its like "I am not using this power, I am the power". It would seem like he could take on every hero in the movie universe, at once, and win, given how we have seen the other gems used. Ultron then for his part is..well he loses. If he had suddenly become that powerful? That would have been a massive climatic battle. Clearly they would still have won, but it would have been a third act with way way more stake. I think ultimately the best part of the movie ,the vision, is also what makes it the lesser of the two avengers films.

That said, I think they set up the third avengers film to avoid that problem very well. Its no spoiler to say that Thanos is going to be a villain that poses a threat to every single member of that movies universe. Hopefully when we get there, it delivers.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said, and the major final point..spoilers again...When the vision appears..that is the end of the movie. The good guys have won. Ultron has handed the hero's a new 'most powerful avenger'. He is literally a walking infinity stone, one of the things we have seen in movie after movie be extremely extremely powerful. For example, unless I misunderstood, both Quicksilver and the scarlet witch got their power from it? With that stone in a staff Loki was a threat to the entire avengers team. The vision though? Its like "I am not using this power, I am the power". It would seem like he could take on every hero in the movie universe, at once, and win, given how we have seen the other gems used. Ultron then for his part is..well he loses. If he had suddenly become that powerful? That would have been a massive climatic battle. Clearly they would still have won, but it would have been a third act with way way more stake. I think ultimately the best part of the movie ,the vision, is also what makes it the lesser of the two avengers films.

Actually with the stone in the staff Loki was barely a threat to Thor and was summarily trounced. It's the huge army of massive alien war monsters that were the real danger. The way I think of it, Loki's staff was an interface device to make the stone manageable for lesser being. Won't kill you for using it but not nearly as powerful. Vision, more robot than man, is functioning in a similar way. The primary powers of the Mind Gem are telepathy and telekinesis. Vision doesn't have a traditional brain so who knows how that would work for him and a less comprehensive form of telekinesis is force blasts. Maybe he'll expand his control over the stone before Thanos eventually yanks it out of his face but who knows.

He seemed sufficiently super when fighting though, definitely a cut above the rest of the team.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Weird, this movie did nothing for me and I'm fully invested in the MCU.

Darn.