Awesome Band's History Lesson (The Strokes Edition)

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By EuanDewar

G'day.

So, naturally when I saw all the cool dudes writing blogs I decided I should probably take a stab at it too, only thing is, I couldn't be less interested in writing about vidja games. However, I do like talking to dudes about music and finding and recommending new music or bands people might have missed, so lets talk about that y'dig? I'll start off safe, with a band that chances are, you might have heard of.

For those of you who somehow completely fucking ignored it at the time, during the early 2000's there was an explosion of amazing bands that came through and like Nirvana before them made the entire last generation seem completely obsolete and like pussy fairground rides. If you missed this era you were probably still listening to the same bands that becamepointless, your own fault. The three bands that received the most public attention were The Strokes, The Hives and The White Stripes but I never liked the Hives that much so lets just quietly skip past them. Instead lets look at The Strokes, most importantly this album:

Bloody Yanks, we got some arty bollocks you got an arse

Yo so this is pretty much the coolest album of all time, lets get that out of the way first. The front cover is cool, the music sounds cool, the band are the coolest looking band of all time without having to dress like niche prostitutes. It's pretty much the perfect example of a record being released at the right time with the right sound. If you ever saw the Strokes on TV you knew what you were in for, to me as a British kid they were like the physical embodiment of how cool New York sounded. Julian Casablancas had this weird filter over his voice that made him sound at points like he was gonna shank you. All that said though the album didn't just ride on the wave of public hysteria, it wouldn't be as legendary as it is today if it didn't have some great fucking songs on there. My personal favourite being New York City Cops, probably because of this performance of it that was as close as you could get to summing up all of 2002.

Is This It formed the template that all the big guitar bands of the next few years would follow, particularly British indie bands like The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys which formed their own massive scene here in the UK but if I were to start talking about that I would literally never stop so just know that it was fucking biiiiiiiig and not everyone liked it.

After that The Strokes kept going strong. They released their second album Room On Fire in 2004 and their third effort First Impression's Of Earth in 2006. Both were very well regarded critically but neither had the same effect on the musical landscape. They took a break for a few years and all went off and meddled in various side projects, none of them were terrible but the only ones really worth checking out are bassist Nikolai's side project Nickel Eye (heh) and singer Julian Casablancas' solo album. Mainly because this song is laugh out loud funny.They reunited last year for a few shows and then released their newest album Angles earlier this year. The album itself was kind of good but more importantly it introduced them to a newer generation and in the process somewhat rejuvenated them. Seriously go look up a couple of their concerts from this year, they actually look like they're having fun.

So the future for the Strokes seems bright enough right now, they're apparently working on album five which will if all goes well and they learn from the past year probably actually be quite good, again hopefully. Thank's for reading if you could be arsed to get this far, I'm terrible at judging my own writing so as far as I can tell this might just be incessant rambling. Thanks to Bruce for giving me some inspiration with his musical writingnessness and Sweep for uh...Something.

x

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EuanDewar

G'day.

So, naturally when I saw all the cool dudes writing blogs I decided I should probably take a stab at it too, only thing is, I couldn't be less interested in writing about vidja games. However, I do like talking to dudes about music and finding and recommending new music or bands people might have missed, so lets talk about that y'dig? I'll start off safe, with a band that chances are, you might have heard of.

For those of you who somehow completely fucking ignored it at the time, during the early 2000's there was an explosion of amazing bands that came through and like Nirvana before them made the entire last generation seem completely obsolete and like pussy fairground rides. If you missed this era you were probably still listening to the same bands that becamepointless, your own fault. The three bands that received the most public attention were The Strokes, The Hives and The White Stripes but I never liked the Hives that much so lets just quietly skip past them. Instead lets look at The Strokes, most importantly this album:

Yo so this is pretty much the coolest album of all time, lets get that out of the way first. The front cover is cool, the music sounds cool, the band are the coolest looking band of all time without having to dress like niche prostitutes. It's pretty much the perfect example of a record being released at the right time with the right sound. If you ever saw the Strokes on TV you knew what you were in for, to me as a British kid they were like the physical embodiment of how cool New York sounded. Julian Casablancas had this weird filter over his voice that made him sound at points like he was gonna shank you. All that said though the album didn't just ride on the wave of public hysteria, it wouldn't be as legendary as it is today if it didn't have some great fucking songs on there. My personal favourite being New York City Cops, probably because of this performance of it that was as close as you could get to summing up all of 2002.

Is This It formed the template that all the big guitar bands of the next few years would follow, particularly British indie bands like The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys which formed their own massive scene here in the UK but if I were to start talking about that I would literally never stop so just know that it was fucking biiiiiiiig and not everyone liked it.

After that The Strokes kept going strong. They released their second album Room On Fire in 2004 and their third effort First Impression's Of Earth in 2006. Both were very well regarded critically but neither had the same effect on the musical landscape. They took a break for a few years and all went off and meddled in various side projects, none of them were terrible but the only ones really worth checking out are bassist Nikolai's side project Nickel Eye (heh) and singer Julian Casablancas' solo album. Mainly because this song is laugh out loud funny.They reunited last year for a few shows and then released their newest album Angles earlier this year. The album itself was kind of good but more importantly it introduced them to a newer generation and in the process somewhat rejuvenated them. Seriously go look up a couple of their concerts from this year, they actually look like they're having fun.

So the future for the Strokes seems bright enough right now, they're apparently working on album five which will if all goes well and they learn from the past year probably actually be quite good, again hopefully. Thank's for reading if you could be arsed to get this far, I'm terrible at judging my own writing so as far as I can tell this might just be incessant rambling. Thanks to Bruce for giving me some inspiration with his musical writingnessness and Sweep for uh...Something.

x

Avatar image for the_deuteragonist
The_Deuteragonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By The_Deuteragonist

I was lucky enough to see them at FiB earlier this year. It was amazing. Hope you decide to make more blogs as that was a nice read (fingers crossed you make the next one about the white stripes, my favourite band).

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

@The_Deuteragonist: Thanks for reading, this one was originally going to be about the Stripes but frankly considering they have 6 albums and I know their entire history inside out I couldn't constrain myself, it went on for fucking eveeeeeer. Maybe if I'm able to censor myself a bit I'll be able to do one on them.

Edit: Oh Benicassim, fair enough, never heard it called by its acronym before.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By turboman

The Hives are great if you're into dumb fun, but their stuff peaked years ago.

I fucking love the first Strokes album, and haven't really cared for most of their stuff since then. They're a "one-album wonder", and there's nothing wrong with that for me, since I still occasionally pop in Is This It during long drives.

NYC Cops is a great song, but my favorite is still Take It Or Leave It.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Red12b

First impressions of earth is a really fantastic album,

with these two songs being some of my favorites fucking love heart in a cage

alcoholism abound in On the otherside

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

My friend went to Benecaissm just to go and see them and said they were pretty fantastic. Besides for Is This It, I never really listened to The Strokes; the first album had a nice, raw don't-give-a-fuck sound but beyond that, they didn't really mesh with the rest of my music collection. Stuff that's probably objectively shitter than The Strokes.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By A_Dog

They were pretty great at Reading. Their cover of The Cars' Just What I Needed with Jarvis Cocker was so good. It was really disappointing they couldn't do the full set, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'll help you out.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EuanDewar

@Bucketdeth: Oh jesus, can't believe I forgot about this important tentpole in The Strokes timeline.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EuanDewar said:

@Bucketdeth: Oh jesus, can't believe I forgot about this important tentpole in The Strokes timeline.

Hahaha ;)

RedLycra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedLycra

Nice blog, haven't heard much of Angles yet but I am a huge fan of the first three. I am of the opinion that FIOE is the weakest of them.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

Is This It was the best pure rock album of the last decade. I like Room on Fire alright, but the Strokes have just gone downhill since its release. It's kinda hard to top such a release, though, especially as the band gets older.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sil3n7

The Strokes are the best band of this past decade. Period. My icon will let you know how much I approve of this blog post.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mnzy

I have 3 CDs for emergencies in my car, this is one of them.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EuanDewar

@mnzy: I need to know what the other one's are now that you've said that.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mnzy
@EuanDewar: One is "Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age" and the third one is a little more exotic. It has been Ska-P, Kap Bambino and hey, The White Stripes.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EuanDewar

@mnzy: Not gonna read the rest of that sentence because the first half validates the entire thing. Followed.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#18  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Hmm. Been meaning to listen to The Strokes for a long while now. I believe I shall fire up Spotify and listen to some while playing Borderlands later.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EuanDewar

@Red: Don't know if I'd call it a pure rock album but yes, one of the best in every way.

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

Loved this blog, as Room On Fire was the first CD I owned along with By The Way by RHCP. Used to listen to that album non-stop, so obviously I went and got This Is It? and it was amazing.

I do fall into the category of not being FIOE's biggest fan (in all honesty don't like it all that much) but I did enjoy Angles.

Saw them at Reading this year, and thoroughly enjoyed what I could remember of their set, unfortunately I got slightly too inebriated during Pulp so was a bit of a blur, but a good blur.

I was thinking I might start a blog about some of the more unknown UK artists around now, get them some love from our american buddies on the site.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JammyJesus

I loved the first two albums, but never got around to listening to the third one. They are absolutely terrible live though. So so dull.

RedLycra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RedLycra

@JammyJesus: Julian has been making an effort as of recent to be a little more playful onstage. As have the rest of the gang. Nick was doing all kinds of sweet moves at Reading.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coakroach

The Strokes are awesome!

Too bad their best work is probably behind them (god I hope i'm wrong).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By TobbRobb

The Strokes and stripes are awesome, I can't stand the hives or oasis. And the only two good roses songs are November Rain and civil war.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Bruce

yay!