B2112's Anime Reviews - Episode 4: Madoka Magica

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Edited By bassman2112

Who doesn't love a show about a bunch of innocent, well-meaning adolescent girls with magical powers?!? The shows are usually colourful, fun, there's cute little animal buddies - these shows are just the best, especially for kids! Sailor Moon, CardcaptorSakura, Madoka Magica - all peas in a pod... Right? Well... Despite their art styles all being pretty similar, one of these is very much not like the others.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a show brought to us by Ken Urobuchi (affectionately referred to by fans as "Urobutcher"), and animated by Shaft (the studio who brought you the Monogatari series). It is a story told over twelve episodes about a group of 14-year old girls, and their attempt to save the world from Witches. The conceit is pretty familiar - perhaps even archetypal. The thing about Madoka is that the show is the very definition of a deconstruction. It takes your expectations for the genre (magical girls) and then proceeds to subvert them completely. Despite its cute exterior, this show is dark, violent, and disturbing. The characters go through absolute hell, and I would not be surprised if, by the end, you shed a few tears.

I would love to talk about the story of Madoka, and I would adore telling you why my favourite character is who she is; but that would be a great disservice to the storytelling and pacing of the show. I hope it is sufficient to say that Madoka tells an amazing story, and that by the end, you will be emotionally invested in every single character (with one standing out). I'd go so far as to say Episode 10 is one of my favourite pieces of fiction anywhere, including books, movies, games, etc. The story is twisty, it is turvy, and I feel strongly that it is 100% worth experiencing.

Beyond its amazing story and characters, Madoka is an artistic feast. Its visuals are exactly what you'd want from a magical girl anime - bright, colourful, adorable, etc; but the action scenes are animated with such care, that you can't help but be drawn in and absorb every second. Not only that, its art style is extraordinarily varied. When the characters are in "labyrinths" (nightmare worlds created by Witches), the style completely changes to, what I would describe as, a "collage." Obviously hand-drawn, sometimes looking like they're made of everyday materials, and often invoking the feeling of stop motion. These moments are creepy, trippy, unsettling, and I think the show is all the better for them.

It isn't just a visual feast, however! It would be criminal for me not to give props to one of the best parts of the show - the music. The soundtrack was composed by the great Yuki Kajiura. If you're already familiar with her work, then you probably have an idea of what to expect. If you have never heard her work before, you are in for a treat. Her music is the perfect depiction of something adorable, but creepy; lighthearted, but terrifying; childish, but dangerous. I still regularly listen to this OST on road trips - it is a wonderful piece of work, and even if you don't watch the show, I believe it stands on its own!

This review is a little more ambiguous than ones I've written in the past. Truth be told, I don't want to spoil any moment of Madoka - it is just so worth experiencing, that I don't want to take anything away from your potential experience. I should also note, the story of the anime is a self-contained story; but if you did not want to watch the series as a whole, it is also available as two movies. Though the movies are great, and boast another pass on the art to make it even more beautiful, it skips over a lot of great character moments, so I feel like the story is a little less impactful for a first viewing. There is also a third movie, which follows the events of the show.

Madoka Magica: Rebellion is perhaps the most polarizing piece of media I have seen in a long time. The first time I sat down and watched it, I was accompanied by two friends who had also seen (and loved) the show. When the credits rolled, I asked my friends what they thought of it. My one friend said she absolutely hated it, my other friend thought it was great, and I loved it. This sentiment can be found online, too - you'll either love it or hate it. It takes the main characters on a very different journey, and there are some significant changes to the universe of Madoka to be found. I personally recommend watching it afterwards, but be warned, it re-contextualizes a lot of the show in a way that you may not adore. Or maybe you'll love it like me, tough to say.

My favourite types of media are the ones that play with your expectations. I love psychological thrillers, I adore deconstruction, and NieR: Automata is the best game of 2017 (if not of all time). If you share in these sentiments, then it is entirely possible that you will adore Madoka Magica. If you do not like dark stories, and come into the show expecting something kiddy and cute, you are in for a shock. Madoka is a very mature, well-told story with a wonderful conclusion (and an interesting movie to follow it up). It is among the shows that I would recommend most to any fans of anime, and especially those who grew up watching older shows like Sailor Moon. This show will beat you up and leave you wondering what just happened.

I rate Madoka Magica: 5/5

B2112's Anime Reviews: Episode 0