Beard dandruff?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I'm one of those guys who just can't be bothered to shave. I let it grow pretty big before shaving it, usually only shaving because of an upcoming job interview or when I start resembling a tramp or something. The only problem I'm having with it now is that the skin underneath tends to get in terrible condition. Its really flaky and itchy as hell. I've tried moisturisers but they seem to just stick to my beard and now really cover my skin. I don't use an electric shaver, so thats not causing it. Anyone got any advice on how to treat it or product recommendations? Have in mind that I'm from the UK, so I won't be ordering any niche products from the States or anything.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When you shower, wash your beard and the skin underneath with the same anti-dandruff shampoo you use on your head. Use regular conditioner after if you want to moisturize it instead of standard moisturizers.

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I would also say besides using your anti-dandruff shampoo + conditioner that you should use beard oil at least a few times a week.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T-Gel, you can get it from pretty much anywhere, I know Tesco and Asda stock it. Its shampoo specifically for Flakey/Itchy skin.

Give it a few weeks and it should of done its job :)

I dont use it for my beard (it's unfortunately not long enough) but its the only thing that works on my head.

Its a little expensive but i would say its worth the money. There is a cheaper version called Vosene but i find that after a few months of using it i need to go back to T-Gel.

T-Gel http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=253779226
Vosene http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=254163642

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By GERALTITUDE

....no no no no, forget all that nonesense.

Here's what you do brother:

1) get a scrubby thing you can exfoliate with.

2) scrub the shit out of your face when you shower.

3) get some cheap olive oil.

4) use it to cook.

5) use leftover oil on your face.

6) thank me later.

Peace be with you and best to your beard

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

trim it dude... i heard girls like that

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Argan oil is good for beards.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#8 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Beard oil. Buy some, use it.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Namely my interest in not having disgusting beard dandruff.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You assholes and your beard oil.

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yothatlimp:

My fiance loves the smell, and it keeps my beard soft and no dry (so that I don't get dandruff). So I think its a win all around and it takes less than a minute to apply.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By mike

@cookiemonster: I've been fully bearded for the last few years and this is what I learned: gentle soap a few times a week, otherwise just warm water. A few drops of jojoba oil daily, and daily use of a boar's hair brush. That's it. I never, ever use any kind of harsh shampoo or conditioner on my beard. This regimen absolutely works, I met my current girlfriend when she saw my beard and felt compelled to come up to me and ask to touch it. She was amazed at how soft it felt, she expected it to be bristly and gross.

Jojoba oil is the best for beards because it doesn't clog up the pores on your skin and is loaded with vitamin E and fatty acids. The boar's hair brush will not only distribute the natural oils of your skin and the jojoba oil, but will help your beard lay down and not be so wild looking. The brushing will really help your skin condition as well as feeling amazing in the process. In the US you can find both of these products at beauty supply shops or on Amazon for under $10.

I have two different boar's hair brushes, a soft oval one and a double sided one that has two different stiffnesses. I use the stiffest first, then work my way down to the softest one for helping my beard lay down and look more groomed.

You don't need any fancy beard balms or any crap like that. Here is the stuff I use...I have never spent more than $10 on jojoba oil and never more than $5 on a brush. One 4oz bottle of jojoba oil lasts me more than a year since I only use a few drops a day.

Amazon - Jojoba Oil

Amazon - Brush Strokes Oval Military Brush - Boar Hair Soft

Amazon - Double Sided Boar Hair Brush

Some further reading on beards and jojoba oil

If you are serious about learning more about beards and how to maintain yours, I suggest the forum and community over at Jeff's Beard Board. It's one of the nicest and most welcoming communities I've ever seen on the internet.

Good luck!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@krevee said:

@yothatlimp:

My fiance loves the smell, and it keeps my beard soft and no dry (so that I don't get dandruff). So I think its a win all around and it takes less than a minute to apply.

@cookiemonster: I just started using beard oil and it's a real treat. I don't have flaking or anything but is great for your skin underneath your beard and will likely solve the dryness problem that causes the flaking. I use it to make my beard softer. The essential oils feel awesome on the skin and the smell gives you a real wake up perk in the morning. I actually look forward to getting up now so I can enjoy another go with the beard oil.

Oh it also makes your beard smell awesome, like you've got a really classy, subtle, earthy cologne on.

@mb: Beard oil is basically jojoba oil with a few drops of essential oils mixed in. I bought a brand of beard oil just to get started as well as to have a nice bottle with an eye dropper but now I'm going to order some jojoba and sweet almond oil (also great for skin and hair) and some essential oils (already have eucalyptus, might get mint and cedarwood oil) and mix my own beard oil. You can also make your own beard balm by ordering some beeswax and cocoa/shea butter and mixing in the essential oils and butter after melting down the beeswax. It's super easy and way cheaper than buying the retail products.

Anyway, beard balm is a legit product to use as it stays in your beard longer compared to oil and allows it to absorb more oils that make it even softer and healthier, it's good to use before you go to bed.

Gotta get me one of those boar brushes though, right now I'm just massaging the oil into my beard with my hands.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingzeppelin: Get one of those brushes dude, you won't believe you went without one for so long.

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb:

I keep my beard pretty short most of the time, do you think that I brush would still be worth it?

The beard oil I use was made for me by a friend, and I know it has jojoba oil along with another oil, some minerals and a couple fragrances. He told me it was pretty easy to do yourself, and it seems that way. When I need oil again I'll probably just make my own rather then pay an overpriced amount for a name brand.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krevee: Why not just get one, you can find them for under $5 and they will last years.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'll add this to MB's recommendation. I get ingrown hairs on occasion and the best thing for it seems to be exfoliating about every two or three days. You don't really need much - a rough hand towel or a cheapo loofah from a dollar store will work fine.

I tend to like my beard coarser because the crazy mountain man look works for me, but MB's suggestion of beard oil is a good one if you want a more civilized look.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@mb said:

@rollingzeppelin: Get one of those brushes dude, you won't believe you went without one for so long.

Just bought one on Amazon! They're not as cheap here in Canada but I found one the same brand as you linked for $14. Should be here by Thursday.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This thread makes me glad I stay clean shaven. Maintaining a beard well sounds like more work than I'd want to do for something whose main potential appeal to me is lack of effort. I tried the beard route before, but I can only last about two weeks before it drives me crazy enough to where I need to shave it off.

pretty cool tips nonetheless, I never heard of half of this.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I'm the opposite because maintaining a beard for me is easier than staying clean shaven. I get my barber to trim my beard once a month when I get a hair cut, other than that maintaining it is quicker and easier than shaving. Clean it in the shower, brush it daily when you brush/style your hair and put a little oil in in. I spend less combined time maintaining my beard than I would shaving once every other day in order to stay clean shaven.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By ArtisanBreads
Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say that thanks to this thread I've learned a lot about beards. Didn't even know it was possible for folks to get beard dandruff o_o. Hurray for GB! Learn something new every day!

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely oil over moisturizer. It depends on the cause of the dry skin, whether it is just irritation or a fungus (not as gross as it sounds, extremely common, and is the cause of most dry skin). If it is irritation make sure you use the oil, avoid washing it with hot water, and go outside and sweat which releases natural oils. If a fungus you can try anti-dandruff shampoo(this will kill the fungus but can also be harsh on your skin, also don't quit using if your skin improves because the fungus will probably always be there), also go outside and get some UV light as well as sweat.

rynkndllbrns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't use shampoo or conditioner too often on it, it'll be impossible to deal with and you'll have a gnarly looking homeless dude beard. Honestly I just use some shower gel on my face, and scrub good and it takes care of beard dandruff. I have a big ass beard, like, a good 2 inches or so off of my chin.

Buy a thing of coconut oil, use that a few times a week. It'll make it softer, and it smells nice. Don't use too much of it or you'll look really greasy, especially if you've got jet black hair like me. And if you start growing it out real long, get it trimmed professionally when you go to the barber. They'll make sure the outline is clean and get rid of all the stray long hairs that will make it look sloppy.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By metalmoog

I always get beard dandruff also and am going to use these tips! Thanks Duders!

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tries to avoid work by not shaving; still has to work to maintain a beard.

haha

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm now interested in this thread as well since this has turned into a general beard care thread.

Thanks to the OP for starting this and the duders for the recommendations.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By monkeyking1969

@yothatlimp said:

No Caption Provided

This has me laughing so hard....except I think I need beard oil.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jorbit

Beard oil is great. It's expensive as hell though.

But yeah, use anti-dandruff shampoo on it and use beard oil so it doesn't get dry and prickly. That or just shave the thing off. If you're gonna have a beard you gotta take care of it, man.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I am ashamed to say that caring for my beard in any special way simply never occurred to me before. I do give it some attention in the shower, but otherwise I've never thought about it. I'll certainly be looking into Beard Oil and a nice brush now.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Thanks for the advice! And to everyone else who have helped out. Think I'll pick up some jojoba oil and t-gel shampoo soon. Although I keep calling it Joe Juba oil.

Additionally, I've found this stuff called jojoba shampoo, will that work just as well or should I just stick to the oil first?

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scratch the t-gel idea, according to the nhs website it can cause hair loss.