Becoming too attached to stories.

RobKenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RobKenno

Do I have a problem? I have a terrible habit of becoming attached to stories and characters. So much so that when the game/series/book ends the whole experience becomes sour. I know that everything has to end sometime but if it's something i'm really enjoying I feel totally guttered that theres "Not going to be any more". Do you have this problem or am I just a 'big girls blouse'. Examples Most RPG's (Persona 4, Final Fantasy's etc) Animes (Evangelion, Darker Than Black etc) Books (Harry Potter etc)

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cheesebob

I refuse to finish the first series of Skins nor watch beyond the second series of Misfits because I don't want the characters to change from how they ended.

RobKenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RobKenno

Haha I've watched all of Skins up to now but now I know its ending at Season 7 that makes me feel shitty :-/

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

No you don't have a problem. I'd say that's a condition that affects anyone who feels passionately about something. I get it all the time. Even now I refuse to watch the final episodes of shows like the Sopranos, and if I play an old JRPG, I'll prolong my playthrough as much as possible to avoid having to watch the ending. It's kinda amazing how we can get so attached to these things.

HeavyDuty32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By HeavyDuty32

Hell, it took me about ten years to finish Final Fantasy 8. I would go back every now and then to try and get more pieces for ultimate weapons, but really I just didn't want to march off to the end of time. It did feel nice to see that afterwards everybody was still fine, though.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By Slag

nah you're good OP. Happens to a lot of us.

Over time I've gotten to actually enjoy the end of a story instead of dread it, once I changed my perspective a bit. Still playing to end of a game like Persona 4 or a FF game is sad because you know their stories are usually over. At least the good parts are anyway.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

I got this big time with Persona 4, luckily they are making more! Kind of, with the bonus content in The Golden.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm the exact opposite in that I rarely, if ever, emotionally connect to a story. Oh, I'll recognize it as trying to connect to me emotionally, and I'll even paradoxically call it a success in that regard, but I won't be emotionally moved by it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

Buffy the Vampire Slayer ends at season 5 as far as I'm concerned.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By FengShuiGod

People in real life can be so much more interesting than characters on the screen or page. A relationship with characters is just a cheap imitation, a poor passive facsimile with no effort required. So in that regard, I do not get attached to characters in and of themselves because I view that as a kind of knock off of the real thing. I know what you mean about feeling bummed out that something beautiful can end though. After reading Molly Blooms soliloquy thereby concluding Ulysses I just felt like....damn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It means you're an empathetic human. That's a good thing.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By phantomzxro

Yes i have had this feeling from time to time when i get really into a series. Most recent is mass effect i love the world and the story that i'm creating and hitting halfway into the game i realizes it coming to an end and i don't want to leave it.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By deathbyyeti

I will not play Mass Effect 3 because the writers felt the need to ruin most of the background things they created before, be it codex stuff or just characters doing out of character things(really big out of character things)

Edit: Also Chuck ended on season 3 or something where he finally got that awful happy ending with dead superman. That show kind of sucks either way though

RobKenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RobKenno

The worst is when the ending it totally crap. Boy does that piss me off, even though thats a argument for another thread haha