Bedbugs EW OMG EW

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

A good friend of mine just recently found out he has bedbugs in the apartment he's living in. He's getting it fumigated shortly and is looking for a place for his cat Milo to stay. He asked me if I could keep him until it's safe for Milo to go back, but I have no previous experience with bedbugs. Will they travel on cats? I am just terrified of getting bedbugs and don't want them for obvious reasons. Anyone have any experience with them?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

Some of the dorms had them last year at Uni. Since they can travel on people I'm gonna guess they can travel on cats, I'd be careful allowing the cat onto your furniture at least.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By kindgineer

They can travel on anything. Be very careful when accepting anything from someone who has had a previous encounter with them. It's one of the reason "used matresses" completely boggles my mind. However, you should be able to check the cat for a fairly low price for the things. Also, I really hope your friend can eliminate them. The problem with the damn things are they are extremely resilient and resourceful. I believe they A-Sexually re-produce - so if even one lives, they won't be eliminated.

There was a British show at some point that covered bed-bugs and it was terrifying to see the bites all over children. One of the families fumigated their house and all that non-sense over 10 times before they finally gave up and just moved.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By John1912

Its a trick! The cat is made of bed bugs. Sure it will look cute, but the second you let it in, it will fall apart into a million bugs that will scurry everywhere!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I'd imagine they could easily get into your house on that cat. I wouldn't take it.

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By epgpx

Just say no.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Getz

Bed bugs can survive fumigation quite easily, and tell your friend to fuck off cause that cat is INFESTED

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By Slag

@xyzygy said:

A good friend of mine just recently found out he has bedbugs in the apartment he's living in. He's getting it fumigated shortly and is looking for a place for his cat Milo to stay. He asked me if I could keep him until it's safe for Milo to go back, but I have no previous experience with bedbugs. Will they travel on cats? I am just terrified of getting bedbugs and don't want them for obvious reasons. Anyone have any experience with them?

There's a very good chance that Cat might be carrying them. Sad to say. I would not recommend taking it unless you have a means to make sure it's clean.

Tell your friend fumigation doesn't usually work and is largely a waste of time. What exterminators call the "heat treatment" is much more expensive, but as far as I know is the only truly effective methods to annihilate them.

You can learn more about bedbugs here

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/vector/bed-bug-guide.pdf

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By LD50

"Your friend" can always call a vet to find out :]

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Eww.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Franstone

Have your friend bring it to a vet and a groomer...

Wait, a cat?

Kill it.

Kidding of course!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671

I took an entomology class in college where one of the professors had looked into different commercial methods for getting rid of bed bugs, and she found that the most effective way to draw them out and kill them was as follows:

- Get a metal bowl.  Stainless and smooth on the inside.
- Put bowl on bed facing up and build pillows/blankets/sheets around the bowl until they are flush with the top of the bowl.
- Place some dry ice in the center of the bowl and leave overnight. You'll need somewhere else to sleep for the night.
- Bowl of dead bed bugs in the morning.

Bed bugs are attracted to the carbon dioxide put off by dry ice, since they feed on mammals, who exhale carbon dioxide (aside, you should also avoid exhaling too heavily, for similar reasons, around wasps/bees in order to not be perceived as a threat).  The bed bugs will crawl up the ramp you've made with your linens and fall into the bowl.  Provided the bowl is steep enough, they will not be able to crawl out.

This is a home remedy--professionals probably know better ways.  I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 or older to purchase dry ice.  I haven't tried this method myself (never had bed bugs, knock on wood), so I cannot personally vouch for it.

This is the absolute extent of my bed bug knowledge, outside of Rosco the bed bug dog commercials.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Elazul

@Slag said:

There's a very good chance that Cat might be carrying them. Sad to say. I would not recommend taking it unless you have a means to make sure it's clean.

Tell your friend fumigation doesn't usually work and is largely a waste of time. What exterminators call the "heat treatment" is much more expensive, but as far as I know is the only truly effective methods to annihilate them.

Huh, really? I totally had bed bugs at my place about four years ago. I called the local council about it, they came round and fumigated once and I never saw or felt any ever again.

I don't know if they were using government-grade poison or what, but it seemed pretty damn effective to me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

I did some researching and apparently they don't travel on cats at all. They don't really like to feed on cats, mostly humans, and when a human is present they will always feed on him over the cat. Also, they don't LIVE on the things they feed on, even cats with their fur - they prefer to live near where a person will be for extended periods of time (like a bed, hence the name)

I'm still wary though. I'm actually supposed to be adopting this cat for good in a month, that's one of the main reasons why I'm concerned.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By nintendoeats

We had them for about 6 months and didn't get rid of them until we moved away. the cat is probably safe, but I wouldn't let the friend in if I were you.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By killacam

the fact that i'm 75% sure this is all happening in halifax terrifies me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slag

@Elazul said:

Huh, really? I totally had bed bugs at my place about four years ago. I called the local council about it, they came round and fumigated once and I never saw or felt any ever again.

I don't know if they were using government-grade poison or what, but it seemed pretty damn effective to me.

Research conducted this year has shown that fogging chemicals just causes them to scatter and doesn't penetrate into their hiding places. But that's brand new research and the people who came by your place would not have known that.

I didn't conduct the research, but I do know that it's been accepted enough that they broadcast the info on all our local news every so often ( bedbugs are a huge problem here)

Chances are the exterminators did a battery of things when they did your place including heat treatment as well as leaving water based residual insecticides, my guess is fumigation was just part of it and likely a now known to be unnecessary part.

One of the very bad things about bedbugs is that if you live in a Multi-unit building they are really really tough to get rid of as they tend to chased from unit to unit. You pretty much have to do the entire floor and sometimes the whole building to get 'em.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slag

@xyzygy said:

I did some researching and apparently they don't travel on cats at all. They don't really like to feed on cats, mostly humans, and when a human is present they will always feed on him over the cat. Also, they don't LIVE on the things they feed on, even cats with their fur - they prefer to live near where a person will be for extended periods of time (like a bed, hence the name)

I'm still wary though. I'm actually supposed to be adopting this cat for good in a month, that's one of the main reasons why I'm concerned.

In that case, I still would definitely not take the cat's collar or any of its' stuff (litterbox, toys etc). They may not be on the cat itself , but they have plenty of ways to still get in through its' stuff.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Elazul

@Slag: Now that I think about it, it definitely was a residual. The guy specifically said that a white, dusty residue would be left around the perimeter of every room and that I should wash it off my hands if I touch it and avoid eating in those rooms. I seriously doubt they did a heat treat, because they weren't there very long and it was, you know, the government, so I seriously doubt they would've paid the extra cost.

I definitely will say to the OP though, bedbugs are friggin' horrendous. I'm not even squeamish about insects at all, it's that they made me itch so badly that I literally just couldn't sleep. After dealing with that shit once I wouldn't take that cat under any circumstances if there was even a remote chance of me getting them again.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Vinny_Says
LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LD50
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GunslingerPanda

The "cat" is actually a horse.

A trojan horse.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xdaknightx69

shave the cat and give it a bath, then take it,problem solved!

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@xdaknightx69 said:

shave the cat and give it a bath, then take it,problem solved!

Take a bath with the cat. 2 birds one stone.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Hizang

You know whats more scary, spiders in your ear.

No Caption Provided
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By falserelic

The last apartment I lived in was infested with bed bugs. Once you get them there staying no matter what you do.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fattony12000
OM NOM NOM
OM NOM NOM
benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By benpicko

@Franstone said:

Have your friend bring it to a vet and a groomer...

Wait, a cat?

Kill it.

Kidding of course!

Of course you were... You evil bastard, you.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McGhee

Slept in bed bug infested places twice in my travels. Don't take any chance of getting those things into your house.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By beepmachine

God dammit why did I read this thread. Anyone know HOW these things get into a house? They must come in from outdoors right?