Best books for history of video games/gaming culture

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I was looking at getting some books to learn more knowledge of the history of the video game industry. Anyone have any recommendations they could give?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By clagnaught

I'm still reading it on and off at the moment, but Masters of Doom is quite good. It has a more narrow focus, but it is still good because:

• It covers the personalities and the people who eventually founded id. It's interesting to here about how dedicated/crazy they were at times during that period.
  • It goes into the PC market at the time and talked about a lot of stuff I never really heard about.
  • It goes into some tech details. Like they talk about engines, graphics, etc. and the process of actually making a game.
  • It talks about video games! Again, I'm still early on, but they are starting to make the Commander Keen games.

That's really the only one I have, but it is a good place to start from what I've read so far.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Console Wars by Blake Harris is pretty interesting as it depicts the fight between Sega and Nintendo back in the 90s.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Stay Awhile and Listen: How Two Blizzards Unleashed Diablo and Forged a Video-Game Empire

It's pretty good if you've enjoyed Diablo or Blizzard in general.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Jinoru

I'm reading A Brief History of Video Games by Rich Stanton.

Just came out this year so it covers from Tennis for Two up to current generation consoles and hits every point that matters in the history of the medium I think.