FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FeatheredRainbows

These are my favorites.

1. Kairo- One of the creepiest films I have ever seen. The remake Pulse was awful, totally missed the point of the original film. I would consider this a future horror classic. 

2. Shutter- The original not the mediocre remake

3. Session 9- One of the few haunting movies where you never see or hear a ghost. Very effective and creepy, same director who went on to make The Machinist.

4. Paranormal Activity- I fell for the hype, this film is the best use of the fake documentary style of filming I have seen. Much better than Blair Witch Project. I actually cared for the characters, they were fantastic actors. 

5. The Devil's Backbone- Guilermo Del Toro's best film.

6. The Orphanage

7. Shaun of the dead

8. Shadow of the vampire- Wilem Dafoe was amazing in this

9. 28 Days Later

10. The Mist- One of the best horror movie endings ever, though most hate it.

11. Bubba Ho Tep

12. Ravenous

13. [REC]

14. A Tale of two sisters

15. Let the right one in

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Romination

Wow, Bubba Ho-Tep? Other peoplehave seen that!? Sweeeeet...

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

I saw Paranormal Activity last night and i thought it sucked ass. Also The Orphanage was horrible, I really liked the ending of The Mist though so i agree with you there.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Romination
@zombie2011: The Orphanage, I feel, is bad as a horror movie, but if you see it as a mystery sort of thing it's a lot better
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

No order:

• Audition
  • 28 Days Later
  • 28 Weeks Later
  • Shutter (Original, not the shitty american remake.)
  • Cloverfield
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Saw 1

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By fraser

I'm not really one to diss films, but Paranormal Activity really was dire. So dissapointing. Crappy cameras don't make generic characters and rubbish writing "real".

I'd put [REC] at the number one spot.  Because I think thats how you do documentary-style horror.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8  Edited By Symphony
By far it has to be Tokyo Gore Police. No movie even comes close to comparing.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

The Meat Train is definatley one of my favourites of the current decade, theres plenty more i could list but thats the most recent thats also stood out for me.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ArchScabby

I thought rec was boring, but that was probably because I just watched the american version and they were the exact same movie.  Almost shot for shot it seemed like.

Scorpinox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scorpinox

Friday The 13th series has to be the best.Also,Silent Hill is awesome and does Resident Evil Degeneration count? It's CGI,but it's good unlike the live action Resident Evil movies.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By Black_Rose
@Symphony said:
" By far it has to be Tokyo Gore Police. No movie even comes close to comparing. "
The hell? Why did I get a pm from this comment. 

Anyway, TGP is not really a horror movie as much as an over the top action flick.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

I absolutely loved The Descent from a few years back
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DanielJW

I didn't watch a large amount of horror movies, but I though One Hour Photo was a really good atmospheric  movie. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Black_Rose said:
"
  • Audition
"
I found most of Audition to be a fairly regular thriller/drama sans for the few utterly disturbing scenes.

@FeatheredRainbows:
Props for mentioning Ravenous. A terribly under appreciated flick with a fantastic soundtrack
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By gearhead

-Slither 
-28 Days Later
-Shaun of the Dead
-Dawn of the Dead (Remake) 
-Drag Me to Hell
-Jeepers Creeper (The first thirty minutes was atmospheric gold, and one of the best atmospheres in a horror movie, until it was just another stupid monster)

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By EVO

28 Weeks Later.

Avatar image for featheredrainbows
FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgot to mention American Psycho. I dont know if it counts as horror, but it was great.

FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fraser said:
" I'm not really one to diss films, but Paranormal Activity really was dire. So dissapointing. Crappy cameras don't make generic characters and rubbish writing "real".

I'd put [REC] at the number one spot.  Because I think thats how you do documentary-style horror. "
I actually thought the characters were the best part, they felt more real than most horror movies. I liked REC a lot, but Paranormal Activity is better to me because I actually gave a crap about the characters. For a movie that cost less than 20.000$ to make it was very impressive.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By lordofultima

IMO Saw 1 is the only horror movie this decade that I've even cared about.

FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofultima said:

" IMO Saw 1 is the only horror movie this decade that I've even cared about. "

Shame it got ruined with the later films. Saw 1 was good because it still had some mystery about who Jigsaw was and it was creepy because of that. Its like the original Halloween, we dont know why Michael kills people, he just does. Saw left something to the imagination, while the sequels take away any mystery which made the first interesting to begin with. Now it is all torture and a stupid plot that should have ended with the first. I think a lot of people dont like to have things left to their imagination sometimes, requires too much thinking I guess. I love those kind of films, like Session 9. That film doesnt really explain itself. It doesnt need to either. The Halloween remake Rob Zombie did explained too much, which ruins the whole boogeyman aspect John Carpenter was going for with the original. Now MIchael has a boring troubled past and he is just a generic killer with issues. Heck I even loved the ending of the Sopranos, everyone hates it but I think it was a good way to end the series. Ok I am rambling a bit now, but you can see my point.
FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gearhead said:
" -Slither  -28 Days Later -Shaun of the Dead -Dawn of the Dead (Remake)  -Drag Me to Hell -Jeepers Creeper (The first thirty minutes was atmospheric gold, and one of the best atmospheres in a horror movie, until it was just another stupid monster) "
I agree with Jeepers Creepers, the first half or so of that film was really good. Later on it became a bit generic though. I also think the dawn of the dead remake was surprisingly good, not as good as the original but a worthy remake. I just wish it didnt have those stupid slow motion parts during the occasional action scene. I loved the part with Ving Rhames playing chess with the gun store owner on the roof, that was really well done. The cameos from Tom Savani, and Ken Foree were good too.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By RHCPfan24

I just got back from seeing Paranormal Activity and I was very disappointed. The exposition was overly long and I never felt scared. That ending also was pretty terrible.

However, I really loved Slither and pretty much everything else Gearhead said:
@Gearhead said:

" -Slither  -28 Days Later -Shaun of the Dead -Dawn of the Dead (Remake)  -Drag Me to Hell -Jeepers Creeper (The first thirty minutes was atmospheric gold, and one of the best atmospheres in a horror movie, until it was just another stupid monster) "

Drag Me To Hell was excellent in particular there. Also, The Mist is another modern favorite; it was suspenseful and had a great ending.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

The Mist was my favorite.  You could really feel the tension.  28 Days & 28 Weeks were also pretty good.

FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TeflonBilly said:

" @Black_Rose said:

"
  • Audition
"
I found most of Audition to be a fairly regular thriller/drama sans for the few utterly disturbing scenes.

@FeatheredRainbows: Props for mentioning Ravenous. A terribly under appreciated flick with a fantastic soundtrack "
Yeah Ravenous is very underrated. The score was indeed fantastic, Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman did it i think. I usually hate Nyman's music, but it worked well here. Guy Pearce and Robert Caryle were great in it too. Very dark comedy, loved the bear trap ending.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EvilTwin

Let the Right One In is great, but I don't consider it a horror movie at all.  Vampires are the setting rather than the genre of that movie in my opinion.  The Orphanage was great too.  Paranormal Activity was fantastic, but I hate how everyone uses it as a way to attack the Blair Witch Project which I still think did a few things better.  Drag me to Hell was really good.  Also, I don't know how well known this movie is, but the direct to DVD horror Trick r' Treat that just recently came out was awesome. 

FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EvilTwin said:
" Let the Right One In is great, but I don't consider it a horror movie at all.  Vampires are the setting rather than the genre of that movie in my opinion.  The Orphanage was great too.  Paranormal Activity was fantastic, but I hate how everyone uses it as a way to attack the Blair Witch Project which I still think did a few things better.  Drag me to Hell was really good.  Also, I don't know how well known this movie is, but the direct to DVD horror Trick r' Treat that just recently came out was awesome.  "
Trick r' treat was good, really fun Creepshow style film. Let the right one in isnt really horror, i guess you are right. Speaking of films from Scandinavia, did you see Dead Snow? Its a Norwegian horror comedy and skiers fighting Nazi zombies on a mountain. Its ridiculous but fun. Pontypool is a great gem too, puts a different spin on zombies. Really worth checking out.
sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By sloppyjoe

Wow... great list there.  Kairo and Shutter are also my #1 and 2.  Depends if you count Audition as a horror movie ;)  I loved Ju-On as well, but that's more of a personal taste... I wouldn't say it's great to the level of top10.   Orphanage and [REC] were great.

Anything by Sion Sono - but only Exte (Hair Extensions) was really a "horror" movie.  Hmm.. One Missed Call (original) and Bloody Reunion were pretty good.  Not as good as the ones on your list though.

I think Drag Me To Hell deserves to be on there before The Mist though.  Yeah, it was a good ending, but the rest was just OK.  DMtH has much more intensity and atmosphere.

The Descent if you count Suspense as horror.

FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppyjoe said:
" Wow... great list there.  Kairo and Shutter are also my #1 and 2.  Depends if you count Audition as a horror movie ;)  I loved Ju-On as well, but that's more of a personal taste... I wouldn't say it's great to the level of top10.   Orphanage and [REC] were great. Anything by Sion Sono, but those again are more F'ed up than actually horror.  Hmm.. One Missed Call (original) and Bloody Reunion were pretty good.  Not as good as the ones on your list though. I think Drag Me To Hell deserves to be on there before The Mist though.  Yeah, it was a good ending, but the rest was just OK.  DMtH has much more intensity and atmosphere.  The Descent if you count Suspense as horror. "
The Descent was really good, shame the American ending was so stupid. There was also a sequel, which only makes sense to people who saw the crappy American ending.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Geno

I'm kind of horror movie-sensitive, even something that's classified as action can scare me sometimes. I thought Quarantine was the scariest thing I've seen in a while. 

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By guiseppe

I don't know about decade, but the best "horror" movie I've seen lately was Pontypool. I love the whole "less is more"-thing that some of these movies do. Just as I liked Cloverfield for the very same reason, although I wouldn't call that horror of any kind. 

Also, I can't believe so many of you said Drag Me To Hell. That was the worst piece of crap I've seen in a long time.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead

Drag Me To Hell is the only one i've seen that I thought was anything particularly special, that being said, looking at the list in the first post, I haven't seen many at all.

FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppyjoe said:
" Wow... great list there.  Kairo and Shutter are also my #1 and 2.  Depends if you count Audition as a horror movie ;)  I loved Ju-On as well, but that's more of a personal taste... I wouldn't say it's great to the level of top10.   Orphanage and [REC] were great. Anything by Sion Sono - but only Exte (Hair Extensions) was really a "horror" movie.  Hmm.. One Missed Call (original) and Bloody Reunion were pretty good.  Not as good as the ones on your list though. I think Drag Me To Hell deserves to be on there before The Mist though.  Yeah, it was a good ending, but the rest was just OK.  DMtH has much more intensity and atmosphere.  The Descent if you count Suspense as horror. "
The weird wobbling ghost walking toward the guy in Kairo was one of the creepiest things I have ever seen. Something about the way the figure moved that was inhuman was really chilling. I notice when asian horror films are remade most of the time the ghosts either move faster or in a more jittery way, which for some reason they think is scary. I think it is creepier when they have that weirdly fluid and slow movement in Kairo, really unnerving.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Saw 1, but the later films sure fucked that over from being a classic.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By gearhead
@Geno said:
" I'm kind of horror movie-sensitive, even something that's classified as action can scare me sometimes. I thought Quarantine was the scariest thing I've seen in a while.  "
Ugh, Quarantine. I got about twenty minutes in and turned it off, realizing that I wasn't going to waste anymore time on it.
FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guiseppe said:
" I don't know about decade, but the best "horror" movie I've seen lately was Pontypool. I love the whole "less is more"-thing that some of these movies do. Just as I liked Cloverfield for the very same reason, although I wouldn't call that horror of any kind.    Also, I can't believe so many of you said Drag Me To Hell. That was the worst piece of crap I've seen in a long time. "
Glad someone else likes that film, it was really effective and interesting with its concept.
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Dude

It made me really happy to see Ravenous on your list, that is one of my favorite horror films ever.

Scorpinox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Scorpinox

I loved the Descent,until the best part of the whole movie died at the end.The Mist was awesome as well,until I got to the end.It's a common problem with me,though....alot of movies are just ruined for me right at the end.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gizmo

The Mist
28 Days Later
Saw
Splinter
Eden Lake ( Those debating whether this is a horror or a thriller, I say horror)
Dawn Of The Dead
John Carpenters Cigarette Burns

FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Dude said:
" It made me really happy to see Ravenous on your list, that is one of my favorite horror films ever. "
It is a real gem, shame it didnt do very well. I think it was advertised wrong, I dont think it is a pure horror film. It has lots of dark humor as well. If you like Ravenous you might like Pontypool, its another good horror dark comedy. I am actually writing and directing my own horror film soon. Very low budget but I am still going to try. Paranormal activity really inspired me to make it actually, since it cost about 10,000 $ to make. Its going to be tough though, horror is not easy to do well.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By guiseppe
@FeatheredRainbows said:
" @guiseppe said:
" I don't know about decade, but the best "horror" movie I've seen lately was Pontypool. I love the whole "less is more"-thing that some of these movies do. Just as I liked Cloverfield for the very same reason, although I wouldn't call that horror of any kind.    Also, I can't believe so many of you said Drag Me To Hell. That was the worst piece of crap I've seen in a long time. "
Glad someone else likes that film, it was really effective and interesting with its concept. "
Indeed, even if I felt that whole thing that "made things happen" was a little silly, it still worked. It had kind of an eerie feel to it, since you didn't really know what was going on, you were pretty much in the same seat as the people at the radiostation. So it did a really good of pulling you in.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@FeatheredRainbows said:
"These are my favorites.  1. Kairo- One of the creepiest films I have ever seen. The remake Pulse was awful, totally missed the point of the original film. I would consider this a future horror classic.   2. Shutter- The original not the mediocre remake  3. Session 9- One of the few haunting movies where you never see or hear a ghost. Very effective and creepy, same director who went on to make The Machinist.  4. Paranormal Activity- I fell for the hype, this film is the best use of the fake documentary style of filming I have seen. Much better than Blair Witch Project. I actually cared for the characters, they were fantastic actors.   5. The Devil's Backbone- Guilermo Del Toro's best film. 6. The Orphanage  7. Shaun of the dead  8. Shadow of the vampire- Wilem Dafoe was amazing in this  9. 28 Days Later  10. The Mist- One of the best horror movie endings ever, though most hate it.  11. Bubba Ho Tep  12. Ravenous  13. [REC]  14. A Tale of two sisters  15. Let the right one in"

what about 28 weeks later? It was better than 28 days later.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Romination
@Gearhead said:
" @Geno said:
" I'm kind of horror movie-sensitive, even something that's classified as action can scare me sometimes. I thought Quarantine was the scariest thing I've seen in a while.  "
Ugh, Quarantine. I got about twenty minutes in and turned it off, realizing that I wasn't going to waste anymore time on it. "
I just laughed my way and rolled my eyes through it.

I'm going to mention The Ring, since it's getting no love. It we well done, atmospheric, and ended one a very good note.
FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @FeatheredRainbows said:
"These are my favorites.  1. Kairo- One of the creepiest films I have ever seen. The remake Pulse was awful, totally missed the point of the original film. I would consider this a future horror classic.   2. Shutter- The original not the mediocre remake  3. Session 9- One of the few haunting movies where you never see or hear a ghost. Very effective and creepy, same director who went on to make The Machinist.  4. Paranormal Activity- I fell for the hype, this film is the best use of the fake documentary style of filming I have seen. Much better than Blair Witch Project. I actually cared for the characters, they were fantastic actors.   5. The Devil's Backbone- Guilermo Del Toro's best film. 6. The Orphanage  7. Shaun of the dead  8. Shadow of the vampire- Wilem Dafoe was amazing in this  9. 28 Days Later  10. The Mist- One of the best horror movie endings ever, though most hate it.  11. Bubba Ho Tep  12. Ravenous  13. [REC]  14. A Tale of two sisters  15. Let the right one in"
what about 28 weeks later? It was better than 28 days later. "
28 weeks later was ok, but there is a big plot hole in it like how the fact that it is mentioned in 28 days later that New York and Paris have been infected already yet 28 weeks later ignores this. Also I dont think the characters were as good, the kids in particular were annoying and they ruined everything. 28 days later had much better characters and atmosphere. Ciillian Murphy and Brenden Gleeson>>>>>>>>>> Anyone in 28 weeks later. To be fair though 28 weeks later had a pretty intense intro.
FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gizmo said:
" The Mist
28 Days Later
Saw
Splinter
Eden Lake ( Those debating whether this is a horror or a thriller, I say horror) Dawn Of The Dead John Carpenters Cigarette Burns "
I forgot about Cigarette Burns. That was a great old style Carpenter film. Almost made me forget about how bad Ghosts of Mars was. Splinter is another good one.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the premise and the setting of Cigarette Burns, I just found the execution lacking.
It was missing something not quite tangible. Maybe it was the feeling of it being a little too condensed.
Creepy Udo Kier is always awesome though.

FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are some more horror gems I like.

Feast
Inside
Frontiers
Martyrs
The Eye
The Cottage
Rogue
Dance of the dead
Children
Orphan
Deadgirl
Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Severance
Dead Snow
Antibodies
Black Sheep
Dead End
Header
The Signal
The Abandoned
Last House on the left- I thought the remake was better than the original in every way.
Daybreakers
House of the devil
Thirst
Little Red Riding Hood and Other stories
Eden Log
Plague Town
Vinyan
Shuttle
Timecrimes
Alien Raiders
Feast 2
Feast 3

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

-The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003, not the crappy ass original)  
-The Strangers 
-Paranormal Activity: I just saw this Friday, I loved it. It's the first horror movie in quite some time that has actually scared me instead of relying on loud noises and mirrors to make me jump.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gizmo

The action in The Strangers was excellent, unforunately, it contained 0% story.

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Alphonzo

28 Days Later