Posted by turboman (9659 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Hey folks, Derek here. Also known as “the guy who makes those Best of Giant Bomb videos”. Yeah, I can’t believe they haven’t replaced me yet with somebody else yet either.

Anyways, I’m here to unveil my next video series that I’m doing: Best Match Ever!

The quick elevator pitch is that over the past couple of years we’ve heard the phrase “Best Match Ever” being thrown around constantly to describe several different pro wrestling matches… the problem with this is that the people who are making these kinds of claims are operating on a broken scale of reviewing wrestling matches. We used to have a simple five star scale, and now suddenly people are throwing around six star reviews and seven star reviews. Unacceptable!

So my solution is simple: We rank every single pro wrestling match of all time to determine which match is truly the Best Match Ever. I’m doing these videos with fellow wrestling duders @papercut, @ht101 & @cmblasko.

The first episode is below, an Exploding Barbed Wire Cage Bomb Deathmatch!

---

The idea of this video series is to combine ideas from Ranking of Fighter (taking slightly obscure matches and putting them on an arbitrary list) & OSW Review (video series that likes to review old WWF PPVs) and melds those together into something that I think can be enjoyed by wrestling fans and non-fans alike (every time wrestling is the focus on a Giant Bomb video there’s always dozens of posts saying “I hate wrestling but I’m fascinated whenever people speak of it”, so that’s why I believe non-fans will like this show too). I’ve always been a fan of the editing styles of Red Letter Media and similar other channels to so that’s kind of what I’m going for here.

We’ve got 5 episodes that are already done that we’ll be rolling out weekly and hopefully many more following that. Any and all feedback is wonderful to me so please if you’re kind enough to check it out let me know what you think!

If you want to be updated on future episodes, I recommend subscribing to the channel (smash that like button)!

#1 Posted by CharlesFishman (3 posts) -

This is awesome, look forward to future episodes man.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
#2 Posted by Atlas (2733 posts) -

OSW Review, you say? Well, that leads to one obvious question:

Boys...WHAT BAR is Hayabusa?

#3 Posted by dudeglove (13572 posts) -

Title card is much improved

#4 Posted by nutter (1498 posts) -

So at this moment, Atsushi Onita vs. Hayabusa - Exploding Barbed Wire Cage Bomb Deathmatch is the best match ever?

#5 Posted by WMoyer83 (999 posts) -

Can we request matches for future episodes?

#6 Edited by cmblasko (2826 posts) -

We also have a podcast version of the show for those who prefer a more long form discussion of pro wrestling! When we record we sometimes go off on tangents (well, mostly I do) or a discussion might not work for the video version, so instead of throwing that stuff away we keep it for the podcast version. Episode 1 is on our Sound Cloud:

https://soundcloud.com/user-562885743/episode1

RSS feed is:

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:501238095/sounds.rss

...and we will be up on iTunes, Stitcher, etc. once I figure out how all of that works!

@nutter said:

So at this moment, Atsushi Onita vs. Hayabusa - Exploding Barbed Wire Cage Bomb Deathmatch is the best match ever?

Not only that, but Onita and Hayabusa are the Best Wrestlers Ever by association!

@wmoyer83 said:

Can we request matches for future episodes?

Go for it, we already have a few in the can and have some in mind for the next few recordings but we're open to suggestions! Throw them here, or message any one of us, or shoot a tweet to Best_Match_Ever.

#7 Posted by Dizzyhippos (4381 posts) -

I mean Ray vs Eddie Halloween Havoc clearly needs to have science applied to it at some point.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
#8 Posted by Atlas (2733 posts) -

@dizzyhippos: That match is SO GOOD.

A thought that just occurred to me - are you guys going to run into the wrath of WWE's lawyers if you try and use footage of stuff that's on the Network? Does that mean any suggestions we have should be outside of that realm (no WWE/WCW/ECW etc.)? OSW Review has a relationship with WWE that allows the show to be put up on YT a few days after it's first posted on Vimeo, otherwise it would get struck down. It would suck if matches like Angle vs. HBK WM21, or Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin WM13 weren't given the scientific treatment.

#9 Posted by SethMode (1657 posts) -

Despite Derek's joke early on, I think this is a really cool idea and hope you keep it up!

#10 Posted by hassun (9606 posts) -

Good to see your project coming to fruition. Great YT thumbnail as well.

#11 Posted by Dizzyhippos (4381 posts) -

@theoriginalatlas: Not only is that match good the lead up to it is great too, Eddie spent the entire build trying to rip Rey's mask off so rey just went fuck it and went full Phantom with his mask body suit.

#13 Posted by cmblasko (2826 posts) -

@dizzyhippos: I would love an excuse to watch that Eddie vs Rey match again. It is at halloween havoc, and October is just around the corner...

#14 Posted by ht101 (2080 posts) -

@theoriginalatlas: We have a plan because some of our later episodes have been pinged by WWE.