Best movies of the year?

FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FilmGuy

There have been some great films this year, but these are my favorites overall.

1. The Road
A fantastic and depressing film. It is the only film this year that made me tear up a bit.

2. The White Ribbon
This is a fascinating film. It is a mystery without an answer, and it is one of the most disturbing films I have seen in a while.

3. Revanche

4. Mary and max

5. Up In the air

6. Lorna's silence

7. Broken Embraces

8. A Serious man
One of the best dark comedies in years.

9. Disgrace

10. Everlasting moments

11. You the living

12. Goodbye solo

13. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

14. In the loop

15. Bad Lieutenant: Port of call new orleans

16. Fish Tank

17. Moon

18. The Messenger

19. The Prophet

20. The Hurt Locker

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

Taken. 

My favorite movie this year followed by a bunch more i don't want to list.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

No Fantastic Mr. Fox?  No Inglorious Basterds?

But The Road was pretty good.  Not as good as the book, but pretty alright.

fr0sterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fr0sterson

I'm a fan of Moon. As a fan of Sci-Fi its alternate take on the overly commercial genre was really refreshing. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must get back to my caviar.

FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FilmGuy
@cstrang said:
" No Fantastic Mr. Fox?  No Inglorious Basterds?  But The Road was pretty good.  Not as good as the book, but pretty alright. "
I did really like Fantastic mr. fox, and Inglorious basterds was quite good too. It's actually the only Tarantino film I really liked next to Jackie Brown, and Reservoir Dogs. I think The Road captured the feel of the book perfectly, and Viggo Mortensen was great in it. The little kid was great too.
FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FilmGuy
@zombie2011 said:
" Taken.  My favorite movie this year followed by a bunch more i don't want to list. "
I actually watched Taken last night. It was surprisingly good. Great fight scenes, and Liam Neeson was good at being badass.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ
@cstrang said:

" No Fantastic Mr. Fox?  No Inglorious Basterds?  But The Road was pretty good.  Not as good as the book, but pretty alright. "

My sentiments exactly. Not that I've seen Fox, but I've read the book and seen every other Anderson film, so I know the tone'll be pretty predictable for me, predictably good of course. 

Basterds blows me away every time I see it. Ballsy ass movie, and one of my new favourite scripts. Definitely one of the best written films in years, and the cast is mostly great. 

And I'm gonna call Taken my guilty pleasure of the year, tied with Crank 2. Taken kinda just felt like what it would be like if Terminator films were from the perspectives of the villain. He was an unstoppable beast, fucking up everything he looks at.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

I haven't seen many of this year, infact i haven't even been to the cinema in around 6 years :(. Inglorious basterds definatley strikes as one of my favourites this far for 2009. Along with He Was A Quiet Man
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By habster3

STAR TREK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And no, I did not like the old shows/movies.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Avatar wins for being the closest to WoW, think about it, you use a computer to become a blue skinned hero who uses a bow and arrow and rides fantastic creatures, sounds like a night elf hunter to me!

FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FilmGuy
@Abyssfull said:
" I haven't seen many of this year, infact i haven't even been to the cinema in around 6 years :(. Inglorious basterds definatley strikes as one of my favourites this far for 2009. Along with He Was A Quiet Man "
I have heard a lot about He was a quiet man. I like Christian Slater, but he hasnt been in a good film in ages. Was he good in it?
Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dragon_Fire

-District 9-

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee
@FilmGuy:
I'd definatley say so. For me his performance was the highlight of it all, he portrays his character so well making it very hard not to pity him and his troubling situations. Never would of imagined he'd suit the part so well as a shy, squirrelly, white colar guy. 
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By breadfan

Zombieland.  It's one of the only movies I saw this year in the theater. 

FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FilmGuy
@Abyssfull said:
" @FilmGuy: I'd definatley say so. For me his performance was the highlight of it all, he portrays his character so well making it very hard not to pity him and his troubling situations. Never would of imagined he'd suit the part so well as a shy, squirrelly, white colar guy.  "
I have always liked Slater, but he has been in a few bad films recently. He was good in True Romance, and Heathers though. I wouldnt say he is a great actor, but he can be good. Glad to hear he is good in this though.
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ApertureSilence
@FilmGuy: That's a terrific list, FilmGuy, though I see you omitted "An Education" - amazing Nick Hornsby-scripted drama set in the 60s about a young cellist being seduced by an older man. My second favorite movie this year, after "A Serious Man".
SamuSlave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By SamuSlave
coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By coolarman
@Dragon_Fire said:
" -District 9- "
this
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ApertureSilence
@SamuSlave: The more I reflect on it, the more I think Antichrist is my favorite Lars Von Trier movie.
johnnywendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By johnnywendy

Now that I read everyone's suggestions, I've realized this year was a hell of a year for movies. There were some really great movies. The Road (both the book and the movie) were great. Viggo, in my eyes, can do no wrong. District 9 was probably my favorite film of the year. It was funny which totally surprised me since the trailers made it seems really serious (though there were serious moments). Where the Wild Things Are is also good though I feel like it didn't live up to the hype. Maybe that's just my impossibly bloated expectations.  

Haven't watched Zombieland. Should I? It seems interesting but I feel like I've seen a million zombie films by now. It just seems like a more violent version of Shaun of the Dead.

FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FilmGuy
@MurderByDeath said:
" @FilmGuy: That's a terrific list, FilmGuy, though I see you omitted "An Education" - amazing Nick Hornsby-scripted drama set in the 60s about a young cellist being seduced by an older man. My second favorite movie this year, after "A Serious Man". "
An Education was a very good film. Carey Mulligan was fantastic in it. You should see Bright Star, it is another good romance film this year by Jane Campion. By the way is that Alan Partridge in your profile icon?
FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FilmGuy
@SamuSlave said:
" Don't forget Lars Von Trier's Antichrist and Spike Jonzes' Where The Wild Things Are. I know two remarkably different films, but among the best of 2009. "
I think the acting in Antichrist was fantastic, but the film was amazingly self indulgent and the film was just not very interesting to me. Then again I am not a fan of Lars von trier. I loved Where the wild things are however, it reminded me of that film The Fall. If you liked Where the wild things are you should see The Fall.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By gingertastic_10

It's a mix for me between UP, Avatar, and The Informant! If I had to pick one now, I'd go with The Informant!

ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ApertureSilence
@FilmGuy: Hmm yes... I was never the biggest   Jane Campion fan, but I do hear that Bright Star is most excellent. I plan to seek it out soon. And yes, of course it is Partridge! :) 

The Fall, not unlike the director's previous movie The Cell, is visually spectacular but absolutely vapid storytelling & characterization. Still worth seeing for the purdy pitchurs, though.
FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FilmGuy
@MurderByDeath said:
" @FilmGuy: Hmm yes... I was never the biggest   Jane Campion fan, but I do hear that Bright Star is most excellent. I plan to seek it out soon. And yes, of course it is Partridge! :)  The Fall, not unlike the director's previous movie The Cell, is visually spectacular but absolutely vapid storytelling & characterization. Still worth seeing for the purdy pitchurs, though. "
I actually found the story quite interesting, the little girl was good and I always like Lee Pace. I liked how the fantasy story paralleled Lee pace's character's life. I actually just got Knowing me knowing you on DVD for Christmas. Great show, shame Steve Coogan does mostly crap these days. Do you know the comedian Bill Bailey?
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By sjschmidt93

ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ApertureSilence
@FilmGuy: Do I know Bill Bailey? Heck, the man's my favorite stand-up comedian of all time! 

"I'm a vegetarian, I'm not strict. I eat fish. And duck, but they're nearly fish aren't they? I mean... they're semi-submerged a lot of the time. They spend a lot of time in the water- They're virtually fish, aren't they, really... And pigs, cows, sheep, anything that lives near water; so I'm not strict. I'm sort of like a post-modern vegetarian. I eat meat ironically." 

Love Bill Bailey.
FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FilmGuy
@MurderByDeath said:
" @FilmGuy: Do I know Bill Bailey? Heck, the man's my favorite stand-up comedian of all time! 

"I'm a vegetarian, I'm not strict. I eat fish. And duck, but they're nearly fish aren't they? I mean... they're semi-submerged a lot of the time. They spend a lot of time in the water- They're virtually fish, aren't they, really... And pigs, cows, sheep, anything that lives near water; so I'm not strict. I'm sort of like a post-modern vegetarian. I eat meat ironically."   Love Bill Bailey. "
Woo another bill bailey fan! His last stand up show Tinselworm was a bit disappointing though. I think he is better in smaller gigs rather than Wembley. I saw him at a tiny theater near my house and he was amazing. Funnily enough I saw Dylan Moran at the same theater. Speaking of dylan moran, Black Books is an awesome show.
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ApertureSilence
@FilmGuy: I felt the same way about Tinselworm. Bailey has been recycling too much of his old material lately methinks. 

I'm envious of you now. Since I live in the US of A, I have not had a chance to see either Bailey or Moran live. I'd have loved to have seen Monster live, for instance. What an amazing show. 

And yes, Black Books is classic.
FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FilmGuy
@MurderByDeath said:

" @FilmGuy: I felt the same way about Tinselworm. Bailey has been recycling too much of his old material lately methinks.  I'm envious of you now. Since I live in the US of A, I have not had a chance to see either Bailey or Moran live. I'd have loved to have seen Monster live, for instance. What an amazing show.  And yes, Black Books is classic. "

Actually I saw Bill, and Dylan in Los Angeles. The problem with Tinselworm wasnt so much the recycled material, I think he overdoes the music in it. All the music sounds good, but the show is missing his great anecdotes. His guide to the orchestra was great though, I think he is a very good musician. He just has to find a good balance of music and comedy. What did you think of Dylan Moran's stand up show after Monster, Like Totally? i thought it was good but not as good as monster. He has a new one out called What it is which is almost as good as Monster.
Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

TOP 15 for me 

Observe and Report 
Where the Wild Things Are
Fantastic Mr. Fox 
Up in the Air 
The Informant!
Inglorious Basterds
Big Fan
A Serious Man 
Moon
The Boat That Rocked
Black Dynamite 
Funny People
Up      
Invictus
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans  

# 16  would go to Sherlock Holmes... because I love me some Guy Ritchie action.   
my Best movie of 2008 of 2009 goes to Visioneers... now one of my favorite movies... so... intriguing.
also I really wanted to see the Road... unfortunately the indie theater near my place never showed it :/

pretty good year for movies

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By clubsandwich

Well I didn't watch many movies this year so I'll go with Inglorious Basterds.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#33  Edited By Hector

FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FilmGuy
@nofx4208 said:
" TOP 15 for me  Observe and Report Where the Wild Things AreFantastic Mr. Fox Up in the Air The Informant!Inglorious BasterdsBig FanA Serious Man MoonThe Boat That RockedBlack Dynamite Funny PeopleUp      InvictusBad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans   # 16  would go to Sherlock Holmes... because I love me some Guy Ritchie action.   my Best movie of 2008 of 2009 goes to Visioneers... now one of my favorite movies... so... intriguing.also I really wanted to see the Road... unfortunately the indie theater near my place never showed it :/ pretty good year for movies "
Observe and report was much darker than I expected. I thought Big Fan was pretty good too, good to see Patton Oswald doing drama.
handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By handlas

Can't wait to rent Moon next week...haven't seen it.   Also must see the Hurt Locker.

I just watched Paranormal Activity.  Very hyped up, small budget horror film.  I'd say it lived up to the hype...almost.  Very creepy.  Nice to watch ALONE with all the lights off in your house.  The ending is a bit of a let down tho.

Avatar was alright.  First 3D movie I've ever seen and honestly I couldn't even tell I was watching a 3D movie.  Came out of the theater and went to the bathroom and my eyes were horribly bloodshot.  I watched District 9 on DVD a few days later and found it funny how similar the 2 films are.  Sure, the basic concept isn't terribly original but the 2 movies have a lot in common.  Even the ending is rather identical.  (District 9 was better imo tho)

Looking forward to Daybreakers next but I guess that is officially NEXT YEAR.

Also, Carriers was a pretty good movie as well.  It flew under the radar for me.  Saw a trailer a long time ago and never knew it came out.  If you like 28 Days Later, you may like Carriers (but it's NOT a zombie movie).

yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By yeahno

500 Days of Summer
Inglorious Basterds

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@FilmGuy said:
" @nofx4208 said:
" TOP 15 for me  Observe and Report Where the Wild Things AreFantastic Mr. Fox Up in the Air The Informant!Inglorious BasterdsBig FanA Serious Man MoonThe Boat That RockedBlack Dynamite Funny PeopleUp      InvictusBad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans   # 16  would go to Sherlock Holmes... because I love me some Guy Ritchie action.   my Best movie of 2008 of 2009 goes to Visioneers... now one of my favorite movies... so... intriguing.also I really wanted to see the Road... unfortunately the indie theater near my place never showed it :/ pretty good year for movies "
Observe and report was much darker than I expected. I thought Big Fan was pretty good too, good to see Patton Oswald doing drama. "
XD that's why I loved it so much... such a great turn for Seth and really, it's deeper than it's letting on 

and again it's great having a comedian taking a different direction for a film. I fully enjoyed Big Fan, and became a bigger fan of Patton's because of it 

kudos to both of them
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By armaan8014
3 IDIOTS  (indian Movie) Waaaay better than  Slumdog Millionaire.
Its about the mentality of Indian parents and the education system in India. Its loosely based on 5 Point Someone - a book by Chetan Bhagat.
The message is spot-on everywhere.. and the movie is really funny as well!
The movie has broken a lot of records, and is receiving both critical acclaim and box-office success.
SEE IT.
Avatar image for thehideousshrew
thehideousshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By thehideousshrew
@Dragon_Fire said:
" -District 9- "
YES!!!!
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Griddler
  • Public Enemies
  • Star Trek
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Griddler
@MurderByDeath:@FilmGuy: I've seen Bill Bailey live too :D
He was amazing, all new material too. I wasn't expecting anything new as Tinselworm was mostly recycled stuff but yeah, he was immensely funny.
GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By GeekDown

Watchmen and District 9.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers