• 131 results
#1 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (5578 posts) -

Wow didn't realize how much I missed the Breaking Bad universe till I watched the first episode of the new AMC spin-off Better Call Saul. I thought the opening scene was shot super well and I'm assuming takes place after Breaking Bad when Saul was still on the run. The show seems fairly different from Breaking Bad but I can see a lot of the stuff that Vince Gilligan is known for all over that first episode. My favorite Vince Gilligan scene was the shot of the dented trash can when Saul first arrives at his brother's law firm and then them revealing the dent is most likely from Saul kicking the can from a previous visit there. Super excited for this show and thought the cameos were alright. Hopefully the creators don't feel the need to throw a cameo every episode and will just let the show expand the backstory of Saul Goodman aka Jimmy McGill.

#2 Edited by Turtlebird95 (3618 posts) -

Everyone wants to hang with Slippin Jimmy.

I love it already. Makes Sundays Mondays a hell of a lot more bearable. Don't forget there's another episode on tonight too.

#3 Posted by pr1mus (4158 posts) -

That intro scene gave a new dimension to the character we didn't get from Breaking Bad. He's a lot like Walter in that he built something in his identity and career and that thing matters a lot more to him then just the money he made in the process. I never really got that from the character before.

It was a great pilot. Looking forward to the rest.

#4 Posted by KillEm_Dafoe (2628 posts) -

Very good first episode. The ending was a total "FUCK YEAH" moment. Can't wait for tonight.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (9235 posts) -

I'm so happy to have the BB universe back, and to curse at the screen in response to Vince Gilligan's famed cliffhangers again.

#6 Posted by Sanj (3248 posts) -

It was very good.

#7 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (2223 posts) -

It IS pretty good! I think enough time has passed that most of my skepticism has faded away and I can accept the show for what it is. Knowing exactly where Saul ends up does maybe make the whole thing less engaging than it could be, but I am still interested to see where it goes. He's a great character.

#8 Posted by Nodima (2591 posts) -

Everyone wants to hang with Slippin Jimmy.

I love it already. Makes Sundays a hell of a lot more bearable. Don't forget there's another episode on tonight too.

Monday is actually it's air-date, they just wanted to give a one-two punch to open the season up. Kind of a bummer in some ways though since it's only 10 episodes which means there's just eight more to go this year.

As for the episode, absolutely loved it. Harnessed a lot of the earlier Breaking Bad's attitude and somewhat comedic nature while also clearly building on the confidence that show's staff had from season 3 onward.

And as an Omahan I definitely loved that they opened the show with that scene, I totally forgot Odenkirk and crew were in town filming that last year. I've always had a hint of Alexander Payne whenever Gilligan is in the director's chair and so I hope/bet the black and white filter was a nod to Payne's Nebraska.

#9 Posted by Turtlebird95 (3618 posts) -

@nodima: Ah, damn. Oh well, Mondays are pretty unexciting too so I can't complain too much.

#10 Edited by Irvandus (3170 posts) -

As someone who thought they didn't have a chance at trying to strike anything interesting tonally or emotionally with Saul I was really surprised. It's actually pretty good.

#11 Posted by BisonHero (11570 posts) -

@irvandus said:

As someone who thought they didn't have a chance at trying to strike anything interesting tonally or emotionally with Saul I was really surprised. It's actually pretty good.

Yeah, I was also pretty skeptical, but the show got off to a good start. It's really interesting to see them take Saul (who 80% of the time was a comic relief character or an easy way to write Walt out of a tricky situation because Saul was a Swiss army knife of "guy who knows a guy"s) and make him a sympathetic character. I really liked the scenes at the big law firm, and when Saul visited his older brother.

Pretty meh on the ending, obviously not a whole lot is going to happen with Tuco. That's the only part I'm afraid of, where any time Saul is in danger, the chronology of it all means I know he's going to make it, both alive and unmaimed, so I kind of won't care. So I hope the show ends up having a good supporting cast so that it feels like Saul could at least lose face with those people (and/or the show will inevitably have one of them die tragically).

#12 Posted by SlantedRoom (307 posts) -

@spunkyhepanda: I'm hoping the begining of breaking bad isn't the end of Sauls story as far as this show goes. Given that intro sequence, maybe eventually they'll skip past the BB time line and give us some insight as too Sauls life on the run. I'm assuming they're going somewhere with that. There is always purpose to every Vince Gilligan scene.

Overall I thought it was a good start. There were a couple of scenes where I questioned if Bob Odenkirk could carry a series as a man character, but so far I thought he did pretty great and I'll give him the benefit of doubt until I see more. It's not really fair to compare it to breaking bad, but there is so many similarities that it's hard not too. I'm just excited to explore this universe more, BB is one of the all time great television dramas.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3651 posts) -

Too much prequelitis for me

#14 Posted by AlexW00d (7571 posts) -

Without any spoilers, is it the same as Breaking Bad in tone and such? Or is it more comedic? As Saul was kinda a comic relief character.

#15 Posted by Corevi (6796 posts) -
@alexw00d said:

Without any spoilers, is it the same as Breaking Bad in tone and such? Or is it more comedic? As Saul was kinda a comic relief character.

It has a similar tone to the first season of Breaking Bad where it was less a drama and more a dark comedy.

#16 Posted by Rafaelfc (2243 posts) -

I'll wait for the season to wrap up to make up my mind about it.

First episode was alright.

#17 Posted by AlexW00d (7571 posts) -

@corevi said:
@alexw00d said:

It has a similar tone to the first season of Breaking Bad where it was less a drama and more a dark comedy.

Hmm I may actually watch it then, it's Netflix so I may as well I guess.

#18 Edited by stryker1121 (2168 posts) -

First episode was very good, beautifully shot and solidly paced. However, i'm hoping Gilligan and Friends chill with the cameos after we get this shot o' Tuco.

#19 Posted by nickhead (1257 posts) -

I'm definitely waiting until further into the season. I'll binge watch a few episodes and decide from there. I thought Saul was a cool character but I'm still having trouble finding interest in a series based completely around him. Glad the first one sounds like a good one, though.

#20 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (5578 posts) -

@stryker1121: I was kinda half expecting High School Chemistry Teacher Walter White bumping into Saul randomly at the super market or at the car wash. Someone mentioned it before but I to would think it'd be cool if eventually we get some narration to what happens to Saul after Breaking Bad. Well for anyone out there episode 2 airs in 10 minutes on the east coast.

#21 Posted by meaninoflife42 (675 posts) -

After seeing the first two episodes, I think that this is a really good show. It's no Breaking Bad, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It has enough Breaking Bad-ish elements but doesn't rely on them all that much. I'm interested in seeing where the rest of the season goes.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#22 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

OOOOHHHH MAAAN I forgot this was even a thing until I read this. Best surprise I've had for months. Gonna watch both episodes tomorrow! So excited!

#23 Posted by SSully (5627 posts) -

Yeah it's fucking fantastic. Much better then I thought it could be.

#24 Posted by Catarrhal (877 posts) -

Any o' you guys realize that the actor who played Vaas Montenegro from Far Cry 3 is a regular cast member on this show? Guy's real name is Michael Mando. He wasn't in the first episode, but he looks like he'll have the potential to become the next Pinkman, essentially. Show's off to a promising start.

#25 Posted by YoThatLimp (2481 posts) -

@stryker1121: I was kinda half expecting High School Chemistry Teacher Walter White bumping into Saul randomly at the super market or at the car wash. Someone mentioned it before but I to would think it'd be cool if eventually we get some narration to what happens to Saul after Breaking Bad. Well for anyone out there episode 2 airs in 10 minutes on the east coast.

I mean...there have already been "present day" Saul scenes where he is managing a cinnabon.

Show is way better than expected, just waiting for episode 2 to drop for me.

#26 Posted by Turtlebird95 (3618 posts) -

The second episode is great as well.

Tuco is fucking crazy. Never call someone's grandma a biz-natch is the important lesson of this episode.

Also, should we turn this thread into a discussion thread for the show? It'll probably end up like the Korra thread where just the same five people chime in every week their thoughts but who knows.

#27 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (5578 posts) -

@turtlebird95 said:

The second episode is great as well.

Tuco is fucking crazy. Never call someone's grandma a biz-natch is the important lesson of this episode.

Also, should we turn this thread into a discussion thread for the show? It'll probably end up like the Korra thread where just the same five people chime in every week their thoughts but who knows.

Sure, why not.

It's actually quite surprising seeing how less slimey and righteous Saul was 7 years before Breaking Bad. I find it kinda interesting that he and Walter White are very much similar in that aspect. Two guys who were probably good dudes who walk the line of both good and evil. We all know that Saul eventually goes the path or evil but I wonder if he'll eventually find salvation like Walter did at the end of BB.

#28 Posted by BisonHero (11570 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: I'm still kind of unclear on how old Saul is supposed to be. It seems like he is frustrated by his lack of upward movement in the legal world, but if he's been schlepping it doing public defender work for seemingly like a decade (there's no way that character is younger than 40, even in this prequel), by that point if you haven't moved up you're probably not going to. Also weird that Chuck was trying to tell him that PD work is a great learning experience, as if Saul is only a few years out of law school or something.

#29 Edited by Corevi (6796 posts) -
@bisonhero said:

@i_stay_puft: I'm still kind of unclear on how old Saul is supposed to be. It seems like he is frustrated by his lack of upward movement in the legal world, but if he's been schlepping it doing public defender work for seemingly like a decade (there's no way that character is younger than 40, even in this prequel), by that point if you haven't moved up you're probably not going to. Also weird that Chuck was trying to tell him that PD work is a great learning experience, as if Saul is only a few years out of law school or something.

I think he's supposed to be mid 30s. Maybe he didn't get his law degree until a while after university?

#30 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (5578 posts) -

@bisonhero: I get the feeling from his conversation with those scam artists and his bro that he probably lived a not so up & up lifestyle before becoming a lawyer. From what it looks like Saul has a lot of respect for his older brother Chuck and probably looked up to him in a way that probably made him decide to pursue a similar career path. If Breaking Bad starts in 2008 and the series starts in and around 2001 I can imagine Saul being in and around his early 40's during the start of Better Call Saul.

#31 Posted by Zefpunk (807 posts) -

I think including the cold open, and Tucco only confirms the theories that this is eventually gonna be a sequel to Breaking Bad as well as Saul's story.

#32 Posted by pr1mus (4158 posts) -

I'd hire a lawyer who successfully negotiated with Tuco in a heartbeat! That guy's good.

This show's great.

#33 Edited by BisonHero (11570 posts) -

@straightgrizzly said:

I think including the cold open, and Tucco only confirms the theories that this is eventually gonna be a sequel to Breaking Bad as well as Saul's story.

Sure, I think they'll show Saul's present day life in Nebraska again, but what does Tuco have to do with proving any theory?

#34 Posted by FrostyRyan (2909 posts) -

Please someone tell me what the hell is up with Chuck and why he wears the space blanket and got weird around the cell phone?

#35 Edited by katimanic (209 posts) -

@frostyryan: I would assume he has some kind of disease like cancer and feels like electricity pollution/radiation is the cause of it. That is why he does not have electricity, asks people to get grounded before they enter his house and to not bring electronics into his house.

#36 Edited by BisonHero (11570 posts) -

@frostyryan said:

Please someone tell me what the hell is up with Chuck and why he wears the space blanket and got weird around the cell phone?

He thinks he has electromagnetic hypersensitivity. It's not a real medical condition, but some people believe that being near EM fields (the kind given off by cell phones, cordless phones, power lines, theoretically any electrical wiring if you're close enough to it) causes them to feel unwell.

Thus he seems to have his power entirely off in his house, using a cooler for food and a gas stove and camping lanterns, and wants Saul to ground himself outside so he doesn't carry any kind of static charge when he comes in. Chuck wears the space blanket because he thinks it insulates him better from EM fields after still feeling skeeved out by having come very close to the cell phone the previous night.

#37 Posted by FrostyRyan (2909 posts) -

@bisonhero: Ok I thought it was something like that. That's crazy.

Anyway, the negotiation in the desert was absolutely amazing and one of the best scenes in the BrBa universe. It established what Saul can do as a character with his lawyer super powers, how he differs from Walt, and the scene was just tense and darkly comedic altogether. Fantastic.

#38 Posted by SuperFusion (104 posts) -

Ohhh Chuck's his older brother? I somehow missed that part. This makes their relationship make a lot more sense now.

#39 Edited by BisonHero (11570 posts) -

@superfusion: Yeah, it's weird. Bob Odenkirk (Saul) is 52, but they're acting like he's somewhere in the range of maybe 38-44 since this is a prequel. Chuck seems like he is 60 (I'm bad at judging the ages of seniors), making him old enough to be Saul's father. The actor playing Chuck is 67. The casting is kind of weird on that one, and I'm not sure the show ever directly indicates that they're brothers. I had to check online to learn that it's been announced that they're brothers.

#40 Posted by expensiveham (389 posts) -

I liked it. Shame about the shot with the obvious green screen.

#41 Posted by Tearhead (2468 posts) -
@pr1mus said:

I'd hire a lawyer who successfully negotiated with Tuco in a heartbeat! That guy's good.

This show's great.

"Hey, I just talked you down from a death sentence to six months probation! I'm the best lawyer ever."

#42 Edited by GeneralZod37 (302 posts) -

@bisonhero: "The actor playing Chuck." How dare you not acknowledge the great Michael McKean by name!

I was not a big fan of BrBa, but I did really like the Saul Goodman character. So it is nice that his own show feels strong after the first 2 episodes. I look forward to see how the the situation with Nacho develops and how it ties into his first interaction with Walter White and Jesse. Where he was tied up and mistakes the two for Mexican hitmen.

#43 Edited by J12088 (471 posts) -

Second episode is much better than the first. Loved Tuco.

Avatar image for machofantastico
#44 Edited by MachoFantastico (6678 posts) -

Watched the first episode on Netflix last night and loved it, forgot how good Bob Odenkirk is as Saul. I love that we get to see a more personal side of is personality to.

#45 Posted by stryker1121 (2168 posts) -

So the guy playing Tuco's henchman Nacho is Vaas from Far Cry 3!

I'm interested to see how quickly they'll shepherd along Jimmy's transformation into Saul, and if we'll ever eventually get a full-fledged Nebraska Saul sequel where he gets himself out of Cinnabon and back into the game.

#46 Posted by Corevi (6796 posts) -

I'm interested to see how quickly they'll shepherd along Jimmy's transformation into Saul, and if we'll ever eventually get a full-fledged Nebraska Saul sequel where he gets himself out of Cinnabon and back into the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the season Saul commits suicide from overwhelming depression and regret.

#47 Posted by BisonHero (11570 posts) -
@corevi said:
@stryker1121 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the season Saul commits suicide from overwhelming depression and regret.

But there's a second season.

#48 Posted by Osaladin (2699 posts) -

Vaas' actor is in this show too!

#49 Posted by Corevi (6796 posts) -

But there's a second season.

There is? That's kind of disappointing.

#50 Posted by anden4300 (88 posts) -

I have just seen the first two episodes, and oh how i have missed Vince Gilligan, it's nice to be back (sort of) in the Breaking Bad universe, even though i keep thinking about seeing Aaron Paul or Bryan Cranston appear in some way. First episode was good but the second one has really got me looking forward to next one. I love how we see how Jimmy was before, that he hasn't always been this smart fast-talking criminal lawyer. I'm really looking forward to the next 8 episodes so far