Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

Klaw still looks like a normal dude, though he seems to have lost it a little.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

This looks so good. Hopefully with his origin basically out of the way they can do some fun non-origin story stuff. I was surprised by just how sci-fi they made Wakanda look.

CG Black Panther at the end look a bit weird though. I guess it's still early, but something about it looks too much like an animation there. I don't mean too much like someone animated it, because of course that shit's gonna be CG. I mean like the whole thing was a Pixar movie or something. There was a bit of that weird CG smoothness in Civil War, but everything around the CG was enough to ground it in reality.

So whadda we got. Spider-Man and Thor this year; Black Panther, Infinity War, and Captain Marvel next year? Then some other stuff and the Infinity War sequel the following year? Man if they can nail this Infinity War stuff the pressure's off for phase 4. They can take it easy and do whatever the fuck they want.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@theht said:

CG Black Panther at the end look a bit weird though.

He has a whole different costume in the back half of the trailer. It's sleeker, less textured and the mask it totally different. I don't care for it as much as the Civil War costume.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He was my favorite character from Civil War so I'm looking forward to this.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Good music choice for the trailer and a nice remix of it too.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Holy shit, that looks so good. I may have to actually see that!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good trailer.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I liked the character in Civil War, and Marvel does make a lot of good movies these days, so I'm in.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ripelivejam

Will it be another merely good Marvel film that is decent fun while I'm watching it but will end up leaving me feeling empty? Only time will tell!

e: For me at least 90% of the marvel films reek so much of design by committee that I actually get a bit confused at the nearly unanimous praise they get. I guess with Disney behind the reins playing it painfully safe is your only option.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was already sorta off the Marvel train with Ultron seeming like it was made for comic book people. Watching this I think I'm officially done. All the trailer tells me is that it's gonna have action and it's gonna have "dumb" lore. There's just no interesting tone or character, it's not funny or gritty or enthralling, it's just superheroes and villains doing superhero and villain stuff.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer looks cool enough, but it didn't get me HYPED per se. Instead it was more of a "Hm, this looks interesting." I'm excited about the movie itself because it looks way different from other MCU fare (the politics of Wakanda get more attention than anything else and that's gonna be cool) but overall the trailer was just pretty good.

ph00p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ph00p

@ares42 said:

I was already sorta off the Marvel train with Ultron seeming like it was made for comic book people. Watching this I think I'm officially done. All the trailer tells me is that it's gonna have action and it's gonna have "dumb" lore. There's just no interesting tone or character, it's not funny or gritty or enthralling, it's just superheroes and villains doing superhero and villain stuff.

You missed the part where every movie is just a sad shell of CGI, and poorly written dialog, to egg you along until the next Avengers movie happens. I'm surprised they didn't shoe horn RDJ into this one like Spiderman, that movie's trailer is mostly RDJ quips to try and get you to watch a movie with a super weak disney forced "star".

I think we'll look back at this time and recall it as "The time Disney lost it's damn mind".

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I DON'T GET IT BUT I'M HYPED FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DO!

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously this guy is pleased with the music choice for the trailer.

Movie has me interested. I just finished reading A Nation Under Our Feet and that was great so my interest in Black Panther is pretty high right now.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

Ultron really really wasn't made for comic people, if it had been then it would have at least been interesting. Also calling Black Panther "just a superhero" is very strange. He's the least superhero-y superhero Marvel has.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jackie Robinson going to fuck shit up.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ph00p: I dunno about losing their mind but they're certainly not losing any money over it.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to see Andy Serkis getting more screen time. Too bad about all the BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also calling Black Panther "just a superhero" is very strange. He's the least superhero-y superhero Marvel has.

It's not about how much or little superhero-y he is, it's about what else he is. The reason characters like Iron Man, Wolverine and Deadpool has done it really well is because they have strong personalities. It's the Superman problem, he's just a fucking dull character, and this trailer did nothing to show me anything exciting about Black Panther as a character.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So hype man! Didn't know i'd be this hype until i saw the trailer

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@ares42: I think the trailer relies on the assumption that the viewer watched Panther's debut in Civil War. In that movie I found his character to be quite compelling as a hero who must also consider the weight of being a king.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I thought I was burning out on superhero flicks but this looks great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So anyone that knows the Black Panther comics have like a quick run-down of the character? I watched Civil War and honestly have no idea who the guy is apart from the fact that he is a king of some fictional nation, that apparently is like El Dorado, and also has super powers that can go toe to toe with all the best of the Avengers.

Does he actually have super powers or is it all in the suit? Or is this that weird mixed bag like Wonder Woman where it's not classic superhero powers gained from science, but rather some mystical voodoo stuff bestowed by ancient spirits etc? He is strong and fast from what I can remember of the movie.

Also.. after rewatching the trailer a few more times, that backflip on that car in the end not only seems kinda poorly animated but it just physically doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I know Marvel is all about spectacle while DC is trying to be more about atmosphere, but they need to limit their CGI use on full characters because were just not there yet and it almost always looks fake and weird.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I'm sure the movie will explain it, but basically i believe an alien ship crashed their bringing the metal "vibranium" (which cap's shield is made up) and other technology which makes them actually one of the most advanced cultures on the planet and also helps to hide themselves from he rest of the world. I don't remember much about his powers but i know they are passed from "king" to "king" and he only inherited them when his father was killed (in captain america), the black panther is like the guardian and king of the place which keeps outsiders out. I could me mixing this stuff up i honestly only ever seen it in the cartoons, and sadly never read the comics.

Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@oursin_360 @humanity My impression as a guy that never read a Black Panther comic is that his suit is lined with vibranium, granting him unusual protection. But besides that, he's African King Batman, and has zero powers.

Edit: Is what I said, but according to wikipedia he ate a special herb/made a pact with a panther deity of some sort that enhances his senses/healing/strength. I never got the impression in Civil War that he's even Captain America level strength, so I've got no idea. I guess he's as strong as he needs to be, but couldn't exactly lift a car spider-man style?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I thought all the Marvel trailers that have come out looked uninspired and boring. Thor specifically looked awful, spiderman did nothing for me, and Black Panther was incoherent.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: @oursin_360 I remember a scene where he is able to stop the Winter Soldiers punch or something like that - like definitely one of the super powered doods punches at him and he catches the fist or something? He seemed pretty strong.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Marvel can make smooth, entertaining movies now, hope this one is one of their but I hope Black Panther has a strong direction like Winter Soldier or the first Guardians. Neither of those movies were perfect, but they had distinct personalities and are a lot more memorable because of it.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad the trailer is at least a lot better than the bland generic poster they're using.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Evilsbane

@burncoat said:

I'm glad the trailer is at least a lot better than the bland generic poster they're using.

I actually think the concept for that poster is pretty fantastic, its just an awful awful shop job.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: @redhotchilimist: He definitely has some sort of power i am just not 100% sure what and honestly don't want to look it up and just wait for the movie lol.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By devise22

@humanity said:

Watched this with a roommate and we both thought the same thing. We heard this remix on Triple J (Australia Raido station that plays all the shit the kids like:P) so we were familiar. But it was a good choice.

As an aside, I realize Marvel has a track record of just making things that are "okay to good" and very few great things. But this can be thrown into that category too. It looks good. They seem to understand their audience very well though so that kind of plays into it.

Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@devise22 said:

As an aside, I realize Marvel has a track record of just making things that are "okay to good" and very few great things. But this can be thrown into that category too. It looks good. They seem to understand their audience very well though so that kind of plays into it.

I don't think I'm representative of the audience as a whole, but Marvel movies are pretty much all I go out of my way to watch. I don't really care about movies, but I'm way into supernatural, lighthearted punch-ups and I've been a fan of some superhero comic books and cartoons. I've no particular love for Black Panther, but I'm still hyped for his movie because it's probably going to be a very good time with superheroes and supervillains, and if I'm lucky they might even use their hero names without making up a dumb excuse for them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Humanity

@devise22 said:
@humanity said:

Watched this with a roommate and we both thought the same thing. We heard this remix on Triple J (Australia Raido station that plays all the shit the kids like:P) so we were familiar. But it was a good choice.

I think the superhero cinematic experiences fall into three categories at this point. You have the Nolan type movies which try to do more realistic heroes which are slightly more grounded in their own unique way with more mature storytelling. You have the Marvel movies which are all out summer blockbuster popcorn flicks with predictable plots, pretty thin writing and a lot of spectacular special effects - a fun ride but nothing you'll really discuss in depth after getting home from the theater. Finally you have DC who are trying to do a mix of the two to varying degrees of success, but mostly failing because people want one or the other and they seem incapable of handling a mix - that and people just despise Zack Snyder to the point where I saw a video review of Wonder Woman praising everything about it and all it's shortcomings were quite literally blamed on Snyder.

So yah I'm pretty sure this will be another decent Marvel movie. Inoffensive plot with some great special effects, bombastic action sequences and fun dialog, but nothing that will elevate it beyond the typical superhero movie.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FrostyRyan

HYPE AS FUUUUUUCK

Damn good trailer, nothing like what I expected. Love the hip hop music. Very excited for this. He was one of the best things about Civil War, which is in my opinion the best Marvel movie.

BY THE WAY, THE DIRECTOR OF "CREED" IS DIRECTING THIS.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ph00p said:
@ares42 said:

You missed the part where every movie is just a sad shell of CGI, and poorly written dialog, to egg you along until the next Avengers movie happens. I'm surprised they didn't shoe horn RDJ into this one like Spiderman, that movie's trailer is mostly RDJ quips to try and get you to watch a movie with a super weak disney forced "star".

I think we'll look back at this time and recall it as "The time Disney lost it's damn mind".

You guys feel exactly the same way I do. If it wasn't for the characters that I already know from when I was a kid and read comics and watched the cartoons, I couldn't even tell these movies apart. They all look and feel the same on almost every way. Sure, there's been some highlights like Winter Soldier and the first Guardians but even those were highlights only in comparison to the rest of the Marvel movies. Story, cinematography, dialog, cgi, costumes, music... everything, it's just so bland. When this trailer started with the scene between Freeman and Serkis I thought it was looking nice, but then they switched to another scene and it already looked like every other Marvel movie.

Also, the CGI on Marvel movies always looks really "muddy" and blurry to me for some reason, like it's missing details or their forgot to add textures, I don't know, it feels weird, specially for movies that rely so much on CGI. That, and I also don't like how they design the costumes. The original costumes on the comics didn't had many details and that would look bad on camera, obviously, so their solution was to just put a bunch of random lines on empty spaces. It's noticeable on the majority of costumes but really blatant on Spider-Man.

/rant

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Feb release date? Woof. Not exactly the most confident release date for a blockbuster.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jackie Robinson going to fuck shit up.

I think you mean James Brown

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: He's Batman if Batman were a king of a highly advanced isolatoinist African country.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Humanity

@hassun: But also with like superhuman speed and strength and all that right? Because (if what I read is correct)..magical berries.. ?

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By devise22

@corwag: Avengers 3 is slated for May so that is likely the case there.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

It looks fantastic.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

Also calling Black Panther "just a superhero" is very strange. He's the least superhero-y superhero Marvel has.

It's not about how much or little superhero-y he is, it's about what else he is. The reason characters like Iron Man, Wolverine and Deadpool has done it really well is because they have strong personalities. It's the Superman problem, he's just a fucking dull character, and this trailer did nothing to show me anything exciting about Black Panther as a character.

It's a teaser. The movie comes out in February 2018. They'll have actual trailers to flesh out the story and character(s). I'm personaly glad this teaser is basically a tone piece. It's a hell of a lot better than that stupid Spider Man trailer that basically spoils the whole movie.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer reminds me of the issue I had with what i've read the of the newest Black Panther comic book run...everyone around Black Panther is infinitely more interesting than Black Panther himself.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: Actually, next year is Black Panther, Avengers Infinity War, and Ant-Man & the Wasp. 2019 Is Captain Marvel, Avengers, and the Spider-Man sequel. Then Guardians 3 is after that.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ares42 said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

Some would say that's why it's called a teaser.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

more marvel movies oh boy i am very excited

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Humanity

@donchipotle: I think the terms teaser or official trailer have lost all meaning when the teaser is longer than some official full release trailers. That said I think a lot of trailers already show and say too much. It's a fine line to walk between giving an audience a taste to reel them into theater seats, and basically run down through all major story plot points. I only watched two trailers for Wonder Woman before going to the movies and it still felt like I basically saw all the key parts and was able to string along what will happen next based on them. Spider-Man Homecoming is absolutely ridiculous with the amount of different cuts they released of the trailers.

Either way I don't have a problem with how "informative" this trailer was. It's a Marvel flick so I doubt I'll have to struggle too hard to put two and two together - the good guy is fighting the bad guys and reasons for said fighting will be spelled out in the movie. That said let's not kid ourselves.. I worked in the film industry for several years and this cut is in no way representative of what we would classically call a teaser.