Board Games

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I had just recently fell deep in love with Netrunner a couple months ago...then it gets cancelled. So rough. I panicked and tracked down all the deluxe boxes since I have at least one person to play with in person, but most of my experience has been online. Anyone here play on Jinteki?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Loading Video...

Vinny! Our resident tabletop afficionado

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Off-Off-Topic but is anyone going to SHUX'18 this year? I'm debating it but $180 CAD is a bit much and I haven't gone to any previous ones so I don't know if it would be worthwhile. It is however about a 10-minute walk from my apartment so it feels like a wasted opportunity.

blackadder88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Stratego Hands-On best game ever made

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Anybody try out Betrayal Legacy yet? I'm still a fan of playing Betrayal at House on the Hill, despite the unevenness of some of the scenarios, so I'm curious if anybody has any impressions of the Legacy version of it. Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy were still fundamentally fairly similar to the original counterparts, but I'm curious how you make Betrayal a Legacy game since you have to remove the part where it's random as hell and has random scenarios.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I think Betrayal Legacy comes with rules to play it like the older version (i.e. outside the campaign version) after you beat the story?

There is a play-through of it on..I think geek and sundry? Game the Game did, at least, the Prologue and the First chapter. The prologue isn't too long, spoils a bit but not much (like 30 minute experience at most). If you want a good idea of how the game plays out and the general flow of things (minus their rules mistakes) thats worth looking up on youtube.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Haven't tried Betrayal Legacy yet since Arkham Horror 3rd edition came out just before it, but I am really enjoying the new take on Arkham. It's a bit of a hybrid between the 2nd edition, the card game, and their Eldritch Horror board game.

Damenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play Board games for about 2 years, this is my hobby and favorite thing. I work at work and think about my hobby - playing chess

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please reccomend a board/card game my fiance and I can play with our children. Two girls aged 6 and 4... nothing too complex. Been looking at Gamewright and Ravensburger products. About the 15 quid range.

acharlie1377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Definitely try out Sushi Go! (exclamation point is part of the game's title) It's small, easy to learn, lots of fun, and costs about 8 dollars (I think that's like 5 quid?). Forbidden Desert is also really good if you want a cooperative experience, rather than a competitive one. This one might is more expensive; you can probably get it on Amazon for 15-20 quid, though. I think Vinny talked about Forbidden Desert a little bit on a recent Beastcast; he plays the game with his son.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#764  Edited By Sin4profit

Back again, with my annual report of board gaming. I'll say off the bat that i'm trying to be a little more organized on Boardgamegeek.com so if you want to fallow my profile on there you'll get a better organized sense of my game tastes. (BGG - Sin4profit). Anyone else on BBG?

The Castles of Burgundy

Enjoyed this game as a two player game. Played it with my sister over the holidays and she beat me every time. What i find most interesting about this game is the scoring and the sense of huge comebacks. Each game i played i was way out in the lead, but come time for bonus scoring and i always fell short. There is an issue with boning yourself during setup though. You can place your starting castle in a location that will screw you over early in the game but that's a lesson you learn once.

Champions of Midgard: Vallhalla

The more i play this game the more i like it. One thing that greatly improved the game is banning the Wealthy Stranger (gain 2 coin) tile as this put more emphasis on getting out and fighting monsters and made for more interesting decisions. As far as the expansion, it makes the concept of "sending your warriors to die" more digestible. Having warriors die feels like your doing something wrong in most games, but it's important to know the inevitability in this game and Vallhalla gives you such powerful options for your fallen warriors that you'd gladly send your men to their doom.

Chronicles of Crime

played this over the holiday with the family and it was a pretty good time. Basically it's an adventure game in board game form. We only completed one scenario but had fun doing it. I do, however, have a few issues with it, mostly about what it could have been with the implementation of technology they are using. I was surprised to find that the scenarios aren't remixed to change the characters involved which i thought was the main point of having a batch of nameless character cards. Also i was surprised to find out that there will be physical expansions as i thought it was all going to be digital. However, i did look into the kickstarter and the next two expansions seem like they may add a little more mechanical depth and play somewhat differently to the base set. There are a lot of complains about this game claiming to be a 4 player game when realistically it's a two player game at most, the other people at the table aren't doing much other that chiming in with their opinions on things, which can be nice when you have people who won't play board games if they find them too complex.

Dead Man's Draw

simple fun press your luck card game that comes with a lot of optional variation. We played a few of the variations, it was good if you're looking for a simple filler game.

A Fake Artist Goes to New York

Hidden identity meets Pictionary. It's similar to Spyfall, but rather than talking you're all contributing to a single drawing. Everyone knows what they're suppose to be drawing except one person(fake artist). Drawing too obvious, the fake artist guesses the picture and wins. The game inspires a lot of chatter afterwards. people explaining what they were going for. It's a good time and i think it's better than Spyfall but realistically you can easily buy a pack of multicolor markers and create your own version of the game.

Galaxy Trucker

I originally played the digital version of this game and had a good enough time with that that i thought i'd buy the physical copy but really wasn't feeling the board game version. The game feels more like a novelty than anything else. You build your ship, and with little knowledge of what's coming, you watch as the randomized card deck slowly destroys that ship. It's like building a sand castle and watching a heavy wind destroy it.

Lords of Waterdeep

Finally bought and played this and everybody liked it a lot. Thinking back to the other worker placement games i started with i think LoW is a far better place to start in that genre. One thing i've learned that i like in a WP game is the ability to build places that others can use which benefit you when they do. I avoided this game at first as i was worried people only liked it because it was a D&D license but really the D&D theme isn't there and rather it's a game where you play an RPG party gatherer and dispatcher. I don't believe the game is themeless like others do. I just see it as a game of competing politicians who are vying for position as the lord of Waterdeep. If you're expecting RPG game elements you may be disappointing. I enjoyed the different perspective of playing the people who send the adventuring parties onto their quests. Also bought the expansion for this but have yet to play it. This is the game that got me to finally appreciate worker placement games.

Lost Legacy: The Starship

Enjoyed this game when i played it but i burnt myself out on Love Letter so it's difficult to get me to want to play something so similar to that.

Magic Maze

Played a bit of this. It was quite good. If you're looking for a game where you need everybody to shut up for a few minutes, i'd recommend it. Would have to play it more to have a stronger recommendation though.

Roll Player

I played this more as a solo variant on Table Top Simulator and liked it enough that i bought it with the expansion. Only managed to play the base game as a two player game but there's an issue with lopsided experience with this game. You'd have to play it with people who have played it a few times to get the best out of it. The expansion, which i only played on TTS, adds more interesting decisions to the game and boosts the excitement of the theme, as the base game is pretty much an abstract dice allocating game.

San Juan

If you're looking for a great card game, this is it. I have San Juan on my phone and i've played it on the table a few times. Really good card game that's only marred by my curiosity if i would like Race For the Galaxy more (which i've played the tutorial for in digital form)

Space Base

This game brings together a lot of elements from other games i've enjoyed. Space Base has you acquiring cards in an effort to build combos that will trigger both on your turn and on other people's turn. It feels good when you've built an exciting combo on your board but the rules can be a bit confusing as to what you can activate on your turn vs your opponents' turn.

Werewords Deluxe Edition

One Night Ultimate Werewolf meets 20 questions. It's good, and maybe it's a good way to introduce new people to One Night, but for me personally, i'd rather play One Night.

Games i still play to force myself into liking them

Viticulture Essential Edition

Still playing it, still can't figure out the adoration for this game, still just dry and boring to me.

This post is super long so i'll cut it off here. Wanted to talk a bit about digital board games and such but i'll leave that for another time.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back again, with my annual report of board gaming. I'll say off the bat that i'm trying to be a little more organized on Boardgamegeek.com so if you want to fallow my profile on there you'll get a better organized sense of my game tastes. (BGG - Sin4profit). Anyone else on BBG?

The Castles of Burgundy

Enjoyed this game as a two player game. Played it with my sister over the holidays and she beat me every time. What i find most interesting about this game is the scoring and the sense of huge comebacks. Each game i played i was way out in the lead, but come time for bonus scoring and i always fell short. There is an issue with boning yourself during setup though. You can place your starting castle in a location that will screw you over early in the game but that's a lesson you learn once.

Champions of Midgard: Vallhalla

The more i play this game the more i like it. One thing that greatly improved the game is banning the Wealthy Stranger (gain 2 coin) tile as this put more emphasis on getting out and fighting monsters and made for more interesting decisions. As far as the expansion, it makes the concept of "sending your warriors to die" more digestible. Having warriors die feels like your doing something wrong in most games, but it's important to know the inevitability in this game and Vallhalla gives you such powerful options for your fallen warriors that you'd gladly send your men to their doom.

Chronicles of Crime

played this over the holiday with the family and it was a pretty good time. Basically it's an adventure game in board game form. We only completed one scenario but had fun doing it. I do, however, have a few issues with it, mostly about what it could have been with the implementation of technology they are using. I was surprised to find that the scenarios aren't remixed to change the characters involved which i thought was the main point of having a batch of nameless character cards. Also i was surprised to find out that there will be physical expansions as i thought it was all going to be digital. However, i did look into the kickstarter and the next two expansions seem like they may add a little more mechanical depth and play somewhat differently to the base set. There are a lot of complains about this game claiming to be a 4 player game when realistically it's a two player game at most, the other people at the table aren't doing much other that chiming in with their opinions on things, which can be nice when you have people who won't play board games if they find them too complex.

Dead Man's Draw

simple fun press your luck card game that comes with a lot of optional variation. We played a few of the variations, it was good if you're looking for a simple filler game.

A Fake Artist Goes to New York

Hidden identity meets Pictionary. It's similar to Spyfall, but rather than talking you're all contributing to a single drawing. Everyone knows what they're suppose to be drawing except one person(fake artist). Drawing too obvious, the fake artist guesses the picture and wins. The game inspires a lot of chatter afterwards. people explaining what they were going for. It's a good time and i think it's better than Spyfall but realistically you can easily buy a pack of multicolor markers and create your own version of the game.

Galaxy Trucker

I originally played the digital version of this game and had a good enough time with that that i thought i'd buy the physical copy but really wasn't feeling the board game version. The game feels more like a novelty than anything else. You build your ship, and with little knowledge of what's coming, you watch as the randomized card deck slowly destroys that ship. It's like building a sand castle and watching a heavy wind destroy it.

Lords of Waterdeep

Finally bought and played this and everybody liked it a lot. Thinking back to the other worker placement games i started with i think LoW is a far better place to start in that genre. One thing i've learned that i like in a WP game is the ability to build places that others can use which benefit you when they do. I avoided this game at first as i was worried people only liked it because it was a D&D license but really the D&D theme isn't there and rather it's a game where you play an RPG party gatherer and dispatcher. I don't believe the game is themeless like others do. I just see it as a game of competing politicians who are vying for position as the lord of Waterdeep. If you're expecting RPG game elements you may be disappointing. I enjoyed the different perspective of playing the people who send the adventuring parties onto their quests. Also bought the expansion for this but have yet to play it. This is the game that got me to finally appreciate worker placement games.

Lost Legacy: The Starship

Enjoyed this game when i played it but i burnt myself out on Love Letter so it's difficult to get me to want to play something so similar to that.

Magic Maze

Played a bit of this. It was quite good. If you're looking for a game where you need everybody to shut up for a few minutes, i'd recommend it. Would have to play it more to have a stronger recommendation though.

Roll Player

I played this more as a solo variant on Table Top Simulator and liked it enough that i bought it with the expansion. Only managed to play the base game as a two player game but there's an issue with lopsided experience with this game. You'd have to play it with people who have played it a few times to get the best out of it. The expansion, which i only played on TTS, adds more interesting decisions to the game and boosts the excitement of the theme, as the base game is pretty much an abstract dice allocating game.

San Juan

If you're looking for a great card game, this is it. I have San Juan on my phone and i've played it on the table a few times. Really good card game that's only marred by my curiosity if i would like Race For the Galaxy more (which i've played the tutorial for in digital form)

Space Base

This game brings together a lot of elements from other games i've enjoyed. Space Base has you acquiring cards in an effort to build combos that will trigger both on your turn and on other people's turn. It feels good when you've built an exciting combo on your board but the rules can be a bit confusing as to what you can activate on your turn vs your opponents' turn.

Werewords Deluxe Edition

One Night Ultimate Werewolf meets 20 questions. It's good, and maybe it's a good way to introduce new people to One Night, but for me personally, i'd rather play One Night.

Games i still play to force myself into liking them

Viticulture Essential Edition

Still playing it, still can't figure out the adoration for this game, still just dry and boring to me.

This post is super long so i'll cut it off here. Wanted to talk a bit about digital board games and such but i'll leave that for another time.

Castles of Burgundy is probably a top 3 game for me. I've only played it 2 player but I love it.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

@captain_insano: I've only played CoB two player as well and, in playing the online version, i realized we were scoring it wrong. Though, now that we're playing it right, i still lose every time. I'd really like to check out Stefan Feld's Trejan which looks like a mish mash of board games compiled into one.

Speaking of which, online board gaming sites, i've been visiting a few. At first i was seeking digital versions of board games to use to teach myself a game and see if it was worth buying and eventually i've stumbled into this world of "play by post" board gaming on the internet. The plus side, i can play board games for free and see if i like them, though the negative side is you have to create two accounts if you want to play a multiplayer solo game in an effort to teach yourself the game on most of the sites. Yucata.de is a site that lets you try out their system through a guest account system so i've been using that one a lot and it works fine, but a lot of the other games i want to check out are on the other sites. I've been burning myself out a bit by trying to play everygame on the site but i've checked out of playing some of the abstract games they have there.

1. www.yucata.de - This is the one i've been using the most since it has the convenient guest feature, i'm thinning out my list of games i want to play there but as of right now i enjoy playing Puerto Rico-cards (known as San Juan with it's expansion ), Castles of Burgundy, Port Royal, Automobiles (which i'm liking more now than when i reviewed it here), Russian Railroads (they have a solo games you can try), and it's always fun to throw Can't Stop in there as a filler between turns.
  2. boardgamearena.com - The few solo games on offer here aren't that great but there's plenty available that i want to play that are free and aren't offered at yucata.de, Race For The Galaxy, Puerto Rico, Through the Ages, Tzolk'in, Caylus, Keyflower, Libertalia, K2.
  3. boiteajeux.net - Maybe the jankiest looking of them all but you can play Agricola solo there and there are a lot of games i want to check out that you can't play elsewhere. Concordia, Deus, Kanban, Rallyman, Trajan.

They all work through an internet browser so they work on phones/tablets as well.

Anyway, if anyone else finds this forum post and y'all want to play games, or even learn some of these games, you can find me on all the sites as Sin4profit so feel free to add me to your buddy list there.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this spammy bump has brought this thread back. Here's what I played last weekend:

Has been a busy couple of weeks. I have played a little bit over the past few weeks but not as much as usual and then have been too busy/lazy/distracted to type up my plays of them or to even go onto BGG.

Last weekend I played 2.5 games that bear some mentioning

Snowdonia x 1

My Deluxe Set arrived a couple of weeks ago and, having never played Snowdonia before, I had a hankering to play this. Having read the rules and watched some playthrough videos this game seemed right up my alley.

Managed to get in a 3 player game of this (with just the standard cards) and it turns out, I was not wrong, this game is brilliant. The tightness of only having two workers to make placements with (except for those occasional pub workers), the timing of the actions and the competition for the spaces worked really well. Multiple paths to get points and also the game itself rushing through clearing rubble and building tracks and stations just works really well. I focused on a couple of Rubble based contracts but only managed to complete two contracts. There was a nice Track building one I had my eye on, but the game beat me in finishing off the tracks. One player didn’t get any contracts and, as it turns out, that is not very good for your final score. Scores overall were 110 – 96 (me) – 51.

Really enjoyed it and want to play it again

Parksx 1

I backed Parks on KS mainly because of how good it looked and it seemed like a nice Tokaido-ish style game. It’s kind of a cross between Tokaido and Splendor (without the engine building) and it was actually a bit more crunchy than I initially thought (without being difficult to grasp the rules).

The artwork is simply stunning.

I stocked up on Gear early in the game as part of my personal goal focus and really tried to get some points from photographs. The winner though really capitalised on visiting a large number of Parks (so he bounced back well from his crushing Snowdonia loss!) and managed to secure a tight win. 33 – 31 – 28 (me).

Fun game

Awkward Guests x .5

We had a 6 player game of Awkward Guests, which is basically Cluedo/Clue but without the random roll + movement and has a bit more going on in terms of sharing information and logicing your way to the answer. It also seems vastly more variable. The reason that I only counted this as 0.5 of a play is that I had to leave with 30 minutes to go as I had a football game to attend. Fortunately (and I did clarify this before starting) the mechanisms of the game easily allow for a player to drop out. Before heading out I wrote down my solution to the crime. The rest of the players kept playing. I got a message from one of my fellow players later saying that my solution was indeed the correct one! So technically I won! But also not really. Downtime with 6 players was a bit of a drag, but would probably be quicker with players familiar with the game and might be ideal at 4 or 5 players. I wouldn’t go near it with 8 players.

Sadly my copy of Tapestry had not yet arrived and I didn’t have time to play Black Angel. I won’t get any gaming in at all due to work for the next 3 weeks, so I’m itching to play those on my return.

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if this counts since there's technically no board involved, but Dungeon Mayhem is a great card game that I just found. 2-4 players, you pick one of the four decks (each represents a DND-type class ex. Wizard, Orc, etc.) and have to knock the other players' hit points down to 0. It kind of plays like a simplified Dominon, but the decks are pre-made and have a mix of basic attack cards (That deal damage to players) and special cards that are unique to that class (let you heal, draw more cards, etc.). It's very simple to learn and a single game takes about 10-20 minutes.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been a while since this thread has been active

I think I'm up to 193 owned games now (not counting expansions of course!)

Just recently got Forgotten Waters and Undaunted: Normandy - can't wait to play them soon

With Covid-19 I've done a heck of a lot of gaming online with my regular gaming group and just chatting over Discord. Board Game Arena has the best interface and has a solid selection of games, though we've also used Yucata, BSW, Boitejeaux and even a little bit of Tabletop Simulator for some other options.