• 49 results
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By Slag

All Staff laid off save Yahtzee and some miscellaneous arrangements.

Keys to site handed over to the Mods.

This makes what, gaming media/community casualty number 3 this year? Glixel's San Francisco office, Neogaf and the Escapist.

Can't say I personally ever cared much for the Escapsist's content or their Editorial slant, but I feel sad for those who liked the place. Less choice in gaming media outlets probably isn't a good thing.

from http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/171005-Open-Letter-to-The-Escapist-Community

To The Escapist Community,

As many of you may have noticed by now, there hasn't been much staff interaction over the last few months. It is with regret that, to our knowledge, that all paid staff have been relieved of their duties, with the apparent exception of Yahtzee, The Escapist's streaming staff, and Encaen for a few contracted hours a month. We won't beat around the bush, it is a serious situation. We can't promise that The Escapist will last forever; it may have years left in it, or it may disappear tomorrow. What we can say is we will do our utmost to keep this site running in an orderly fashion, for as long as it stays online. That said, nearly everything that it does is through volunteer efforts.

With this sad news, though, comes an opportunity. The moderation team has been granted a number of powers to keep the site running. The new community-run Escapist will be looking for your input on how the site operates, and for volunteers in creating content. We may even look into adjusting the Code of Conduct, if that is possible with the tools we've been given. Together we can breathe some life back into this site, one article at a time.

A quick note: the old appeals system cannot be accessed for technical reasons, but new appeals can be directed towards EscapistAppeals at gmail.com, where they will be dealt with by an independent moderator who did not give out the original infraction. This moderator will contact the appealing party to ask for their argument as to why they feel it does not breach a rule, as well as liaising with the moderator responsible for the infraction to ask them to explain their reasons before reaching a final decision on the appeal. Any infractions given out on or after the 1st of September 2017 are eligible to appeal under the new system.

Anyhow, we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we hope you will stay with us for the next step in The Escapist's journey.

EDIT - New content submission guidelines and information can now be found on the Content Contact Page, or by clicking "Submissions" in the footer below.

Your Loyal Moderators and Staff,

Basement Cat

Caramel Frappe

Dr.Susse

EscapeGoat

Fappy

JoJo

NewClassic

Redlin5

tippy2k2

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yahtzee escaped successfully

conantheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

" The new community-run Escapist will be looking for your input on how the site operates, and for volunteers in creating content. We may even look into adjusting the Code of Conduct, if that is possible with the tools we've been given. Together we can breathe some life back into this site, one article at a time."

Well, as dark as this might sound, maybe this is a perfect place for Gaffers to migrate to.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Slag

@conantheking: I'd think the fact they wouldn't own the forum and the high risk it could go dark at any moment is a significant drawback.

Aselith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GAF started as a website that went defunct. Maybe we should start squatting on the Escapist forums and see where it takes us?

DrArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crap, sites just dropping like flies.

But to be honest, The Escapist was already pretty dead to me after Gamergate popped up and they managed to get Jim Sterling and MovieBob to leave. Didn't see much of a reason to stick around after that. Sucks for all of the people that stuck around though. I'd be surprised if Yahtzee doesn't end up on Patreon soon. He's probably a big enough name for it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

This is basically the same level of life support that AnimeVice was on at the end of that site's run. The Escapist's days are numbered.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Escapist was the gaming forum I frequented before coming here. It will be sad to see it go if that's what ends up happening.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Yatzhee has a YouTube presence, has published novels, and makes indie games so I think he'll be OK. Everyone else that worked there, though, I don't know. Moviebob and Jim Sterling seem to be doing well for themselves.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Also what the hell is glixel?

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Redhotchilimist

The Escapist has died a thousand times, so it doesn't feel that dramatic to me at this point. They've fostered so many talents that have gone on to do just fine on their own, either on their own blogs and sites or on youtube. Shamus Young, Moviebob, Jim Sterling, Extra Credits, Loading Ready Run, it's a solid list. The remaining old guard left around Gamergate time and were replaced by a bunch of people that haven't stuck in my mind. Now all of them are gone, too.

Once upon a time, this schedule used to be full of all kinds of content creators, not just one guy and the twitch team.
Once upon a time, this schedule used to be full of all kinds of content creators, not just one guy and the twitch team.

The Escapist is a very nostalgic site for me. Yahtzee is one of the first people I knew that was being funny about games on the internet along with Angry Video Game Nerd, and I still watch Zero Punctuation weekly. I think it'll be a decade old next year, like Giant Bomb. Visiting the Escapist lead me to all kinds of interesting bloggers, critics and comedians, some of whom I follow to this day and some that I try to avoid these days. But now there's barely anything left, and I just want someone to put it out of its misery. It should probably be Yahtzee. He leaves, and it's over.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the Escapist the only reason Yahtzee can live in America? Seems like there might be problems for him if he leaves.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@fredchuckdave: Glixel is Rolling Stone magazine's gaming site. The SF office that closed down was managed by John Davison (formerly of Gamespot, Gamepro, EGM).

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By sravankb

The Escapist started off with the right intentions, but man - it's a putrid wasteland after Gamegate happened. The forums there are entirely full of right-wing nutjobs (and a few militant left-wingers) who do nothing but jump at each other's throats with the slightest provocation. I'm being serious when I say that I hope most of them do not end up here.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sravankb: My favorite thing to do on the Escapist these last few years besides watching Yahtzee's shows was looking at the Popular Forum Posts bit on the front page and shaking my head.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ivdamke

Too many game sites, too many people moving to other forms of media to consume their games content. GAF was a different story but The Escapist always seemed like it's been clinging to life for awhile now.

GB is the only game site I visit outside of Reddit so none of this really effects me but bummer for those that it does. I'd imagine that if GB went it would probably effect me more than I would expect.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Ah, thank you sir.

Escapist was a site I frequented like 7-8 years ago a bit; but mostly just for Yahtzee and Movie Bob (famously said Watchmen is a masterpiece); seemed like they had halfway decent video content but video game writing and video game people writing about movies writing is always pretty terrible (or overly academic in the case of Edge) so I just sort of zone out when it comes to that stuff. As far as forums I don't think they were ever particularly large; where GAF was kind of the last bastion of old school forum activity (that I never participated in) before Reddit takes over everything (and to be fair Reddit is basically just a super efficient forum if you ignore all the dogshit dog pictures and so on).

When's Something Awful going down?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@slag said:

This makes what, gaming media/community casualty number 3 this year? Glixel, Neogaf and the Escapist.

What happened to Glixel? That site is still running, no?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@clagnaught: The SF office of Glixel was closed and all of that staff was laid off. Glixel is now run from the main Rolling Stone offices in NYC.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: looks like Chaser already got your covered. I actually thought the whole thing had shut down. I'll update the OP with more precise info that Chaser provided.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

But wait, where will people go for all of the honest, totally unbiased coverage of Star Citizen?

Seriously though, I stopped going to that site some time ago. It's pretty shitty that they expect people to volunteer to keep it running.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

Surprised yahtzee hadn't fled to patreon or something yet. I enjoyed his stuff in the past, but now he kinda reeks of those angry gamer types. God, time flies.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than watching Yahtzee a few times, i never went to Escapist. Never thought their content was good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The Escapist has died a thousand times, so it doesn't feel that dramatic to me at this point. They've fostered so many talents that have gone on to do just fine on their own, either on their own blogs and sites or on youtube. Shamus Young, Moviebob, Jim Sterling, Extra Credits, Loading Ready Run, it's a solid list. The remaining old guard left around Gamergate time and were replaced by a bunch of people that haven't stuck in my mind. Now all of them are gone, too.

The Escapist is a very nostalgic site for me. Yahtzee is one of the first people I knew that was being funny about games on the internet along with Angry Video Game Nerd, and I still watch Zero Punctuation weekly. I think it'll be a decade old next year, like Giant Bomb. Visiting the Escapist lead me to all kinds of interesting bloggers, critics and comedians, some of whom I follow to this day and some that I try to avoid these days. But now there's barely anything left, and I just want someone to put it out of its misery. It should probably be Yahtzee. He leaves, and it's over.

This is pretty much my story when it comes to The Escapist. It was the first forum that I really participated in, way back in 2010/2011. I stumbled upon a Zero Punctuation video and then proceeded to binge watch all of them and I've been watching his stuff since. I also tend to follow Moviebob and Extra Credits and, while I've never been a huge fan of Jim Sterling's shows, I tend to wind up watching his stuff anyway because I tend to agree with what he has to say.

I'm curious to know what Yatzhee does next, if the Escapist does go totally under (seems like it will). Will someone else pick up Zero Punctuation? Will he have a successful Patreon? Become a full time novelist or game developer? As I said above, though, I think he'll be all right.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's sad but tbh after they went gamergater, I stopped paying much attention to them. Guess I wasn't the only one.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xdeser2

I have some nostalgia for when the forums weren't trash, and some good talent came out of there over the years, but it went to shit after gamergate, so goood riddance. Frankly I dont really have any love for Yahtzee, his whole shtick was just "Cynical fast talking British accent man that cant enjoy anything made past 1999", it got old after like the third video. His willingness to stay on when the site was pandering to gamergate is pretty telling.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really going to miss Rebecca Mayes Muses.

...Yes I know it has been over for years.

RIP RMM. You were the best.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only visited the site for occasional good news articles, Yahtzee and the forums, but the quality of the news articles declined slowly over time and at one point for some reason they took the popular forum topics off the front page, and i'm not the kind of guy who goes diving in the forums looking for discussion, it did return to the front page but by that time articles had continued to decline and all other content on the site was really obnoxious and not for me, that Taco News stuff they've been doing in the wake of all this is really really stupid.
Hope Zero Punctuation continues, the recent Destiny 2 review was fantastic.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MostlySquares

@ezekiel: It's not sanitized. The whole editorial staff of GB are good people. Assholes tend to congregate around assholes, so GB was never a harbor for those people, therefore it looks like it's all SJWs all day long. Turns out, loud assholes just hang out elsewhere. Lots of people love GB specifically for the positive community and staff.

And, after Gamergate, GB was seen as an enemy by right wingers, so there was somewhat of an exodus of the few that lurked around. It's not sanitized, the assholes deserted it for reddit and 4chan. Autoculling.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: It also didn't help their reputation back in 2011 when it came out they weren't paying their content creators, most of who started looking at alternative outlets, primarily Youtube.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mostlysquares: Every forum is a collection of a certain set of opinions that tends to ignore or purge all opposing sets of opinions; that's just the modern internet paradigm (though it almost always happens with real life organizations, too); it's equally bad on either side.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sharply went downhill after Susan Arendt and Russ Pitts left. It was a lost cause when the new ownership took over, eliminated pretty much any moderation, and leaned heavy into pro-GG content.

It’s a shame. They were a good “foot in the door” publication that gave a lot of writers their first byline. They leaned heavy into pieces about gaming culture at a time that the IGN's and GameSpots of the world were still nothing more than press release factories.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Also what the hell is glixel?

Well, to make this simple, Glixel was games website devoted to the creators, players, and social issues of games. It was all bankrolled by Rolling Stone. So they were a little bit like Waypoint; i.e. Vice's gaming website with Austin.

So, why did they matter? Well, they had some huge talent with their editor in chief being John Davison'. He was joined by Simon Cox (Ziff Davis, Future US) , Rachel Weber (Eurogamer) and Miguel Lopez (Gamespot, Cnet, Ziff, IGN) and they filled out the writing with some freelance writers.

So, why did they fail if they had that sort of batting lineup? Well, mostly because the one fantastic thing they produce was the Glixel podcast, which was the closest thing to 1UP Your with Garnett Lee, Shane Bettenhausen, Luke Smith. [Wait, they failed because they made the best four seat podcast seen in years?] Well, yes, because they made little else that people consumed that that excellent podcast. They wrote some very indepth, very thoughtful articles about people, social issues and their intersection with games. Yet, they didn't make video content, they didn't review games, and they didn't make podcast about wrestling - even ironicly.

I'm not a small business man...but I think any website not making video content is doomed today. In my mind the ONLY rule of the games media business is this : If it is worth saying, it is worth being said and shown on a video. It has become worthless to write the definitive article on a subject, nobody will read it, but they might watch it. John Davison tried to start they best buggy whip factory ever seen, but he tried to start in in 1955 under a newly constructed freeway underpass. JMO

chronojoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" The new community-run Escapist will be looking for your input on how the site operates, and for volunteers in creating content. We may even look into adjusting the Code of Conduct, if that is possible with the tools we've been given. Together we can breathe some life back into this site, one article at a time."

Well, as dark as this might sound, maybe this is a perfect place for Gaffers to migrate to.

In general, at least for me, much of the appeal of GAF was it's relative impartiality. It wasn't the community of a particular outlet or board. GiantBomb doesn't fit that. It was nice to have people expressing opinions from all kinds of perspectives and backgrounds, Bomb tends to have opinions of people that like GiantBombs content and as a long term reader that really seems to sway a lot of discussion on the board.

It's just not as interesting here.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GundamGuru

@lazyimperial: @boatorious: Yeah, it's funny to me this idea that people assume members of different political persuasions are simply "not around" just because they aren't yelling at each other constantly. More likely that in the current climate outing oneself as anything other than a leftist is hazardous to the discussion, at best.

The focus on the hobby instead of politics is one of the things I like about Giant Bomb. There's plenty of other places on the net that provide other angles as well, like Waypoint. Having more choices in games coverage is never a bad thing. It's too bad for the Escapist. I hope everything works out for Yahtzee et al, and everybody lands on their feet.

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was always more of a sporadic visitor/viewer of Yahtzee and Sterling videos than an actual user, so wasn't particularly familiar with what The Escapist once did well. I hear stories of the site once being a catalyst for letting good people do good work, but I feel like the time for mourning that loss was some time ago, some time before management decided it was a good idea to latch onto Gamergate. That's when I know it all started going down the tubes with the quickness. So when it's now circling the drain, I can't feel sad about it. All I can manage is to wish well the people who stuck around up until these layoffs, who were decent folks. They don't deserve what the shitty management brought.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you mention Escapist the first thing that comes to mind is Yahtzee, he basically is Escapist. Never used the site for anything else, the whole layout was a mess also.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ezekiel

@mostlysquares said:

@ezekiel: It's not sanitized.

You still think that, after a bunch of harmless posts about how sanitized it is were just deleted? It wasn't even a flame war. Funny that the disrespectful post that spawned the discussion, number 14, is still there.

chasespace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to imagine Yahtzee starts or is in the process of looking for a new home for his content. Can't see someone in the content creation business sticking around on a platform that has indicated they can go dark at any moment.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Surprised yahtzee hadn't fled to patreon or something yet. I enjoyed his stuff in the past, but now he kinda reeks of those angry gamer types. God, time flies.

Yahtzee totally bores me now. Even when he was quite popular I thought he was just full of shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Doesn't surprise me, as far as I'm aware Zero Punctuation was the only thing left getting any sort of traffic.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero Punctuation was the only reason why I visited that site but even then I haven't watched that video series in awhile.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#48 gamer_152  Moderator

This felt inevitable. Over time they lost Susan Arendt, Russ Pitts, Jim Sterling, Bob Chipman, Gavin Dunne, Greg Tito, and more. I used to really enjoy the site but stopped checking it after MovieBob and Sterling took their exit. It seems like they've been coasting by on just the appeal of Yahtzee for a very long time and the "volunteers" line in their statement seems to imply that they're planning to publish a bunch of writers without paying them which is not great. If I'm reading this right, they also seem to be implying that they might relax their rules which is the last thing they need to do after those forums became such a Gamergate breeding ground. There was a period where I frequented the forums, but they just got too gross to look at after that whole debacle.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between YouTube and podcasts taking over it has felt like most gaming sites were going to die the last several years. It sucks for those workers but has happened before, kinda like the internet hurting newspaper sells.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Yeah I never really used the site beyond the occasional Yahtzee check in (though I've not done that in a long time) and following Jim Sterling's work when he worked there as a review's editor.