• 144 results
gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By gexecuter

So Spain is divided into several region that are autonomous in some ways, anyway one of these regions Catalonia decided to ban bullfighting which is a good step because i don't like that sport at all, hopefully the rest of spain follows in Catalonia's steps. Thoughts?

Source:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10784611

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Hell, it's about time.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

Good, also last time a thread about bullfighting appeared lot's of people came to it's defence talking about tradition and how that makes it alright

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, which region? The one that invented bullfighting, or the one that can't spell bull, even in made up languages? I think that's a pretty big piece of information.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By guiseppe
@Jack268 said:
" Hell, it's about time. "
Took the words right out of my mouth. Which were really words out of someone elses mouth, but still.
apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By apoptosis61

about time, it must be banned and erased for ever

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Faint

i have doubts that it would ever completely disappear from the country due to its long standing tradition. however i guess the Catalan is a start. for those of you who don't know (as far as i have gathered from being a big European football fan) Catalonia IS part of Spain, but sort of in the same veins as Scotland, wales, N.Ireland are part of Britain with England, or perhaps better compared to Quebec in Canada. It IS part of Spain, but it is also sort of on its own, so I don't think this will strike too much of a note with the rest of Spain, other than those who enjoy bullfighting who will rush to its defense. i am in favour of the ban though.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Finally. It still boggles my mind that bull-fighting can exist in this day and age.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By recroulette

Bullfighting is an insane event, it's ridiculous that it's still out there.

I understand trying to keep tradition alive and all, but damn...do it some other way.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Good.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Karl_Boss

Looks like the long held tradition is finally becoming a thing of the past.

bearcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bearcat

Good. Stupid and cruel sport.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By VisariLoyalist

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arbie

Good to hear. =]

infamous021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By infamous021

Yessssss

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By foggel

I saw it once. Wasn't fun at all.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By crusader8463

Honestly don't care one way or another, but I guess it's good to see it stopping. Anything that stops people from torturing other living things is good in my books.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gosukiller

Jolly good. I recommend those who are thirsty for blood to take up watching Spiderfighting instead.

No Caption Provided
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Metroid545
@guiseppe said:
" @Jack268 said:
Took the words right out of my mouth. Which were really words out of someone elses mouth, but still. "
thats a lot of people in a lot of other people's mouths
PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By PATERSON
@Gamer_152 said:
" Finally. It still boggles my mind that bull-fighting can exist in this day and age. "
Said perfectly, it's about time.
Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I'm glad this happened, I've always seen it as a black spot against Spain. 

I wonder if it is an idea from the people, or simply the government trying to gain favour with bigger cats like the EU.  

I imagine it won't be gone completely anytime soon though, but it's a start.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Jeust

People and bans... >_> 

I don't know why people love bans on everything they hate. True that it is a disgusting activity, at least for me, but forcing someone not to do it isn't a good thing. People should be educated, not forced. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By JoelTGM
@Gamer_152 said:
" Finally. It still boggles my mind that bull-fighting can exist in this day and age. "
This.  It's awful and I can't believe the people who do it think it's honorable.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Jeust said:
" People and bans... >_>  I don't know why people love bans on everything they hate. True that it is a disgusting activity, at least for me, but forcing someone not to do it isn't a good thing. People should be educated, not forced.  "
Tell the bull that. 
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jeust
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @Jeust said:
" People and bans... >_>  I don't know why people love bans on everything they hate. True that it is a disgusting activity, at least for me, but forcing someone not to do it isn't a good thing. People should be educated, not forced.  "
Tell the bull that.  "
yep, still enforcing it, doesn't mean it will go away. Illegal bullfights will still take place, and will be more expensive than a legal one ever was. 
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scooper

Good. Fucking barbaric. I love it when I see a stupid matador gored horribly by a terrified bull that doesn't want to be there.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By habster3
@PATERSON said:
" @Gamer_152 said:
Said perfectly, it's about time. "

@Jack268 said:
"Hell, it's about time. "
Rothbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rothbart

I've never really seen a bull-fighting match and know only cursory bits of information about the sport, could someone explain why it's got this much hate going against it? Anyway, banning something in any Mediterranean country doesn't really mean a lot, people will still find a way to do it.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArchScabby

good

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TomWhitbrook

Not bad, but I'd rather they did the decent thing and made it fair for the bull. No drugs, no blinding, no nothing, just the bloke and the animal. Wonder where the Machismo Macho would be then.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Jeust said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @Jeust said:
Tell the bull that.  "
yep, still enforcing it, doesn't mean it will go away. Illegal bullfights will still take place, and will be more expensive than a legal one ever was.  "
And there will be fewer of them. I'm failing to see why that's a bad thing. Do you also recommend that we make murder legal since it goes on despite the law?
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By artofwar420

Good, let's ban it everywhere.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By c1337us

It's a good thing to stop. But banning it won't make it go away and underground bull fights are going to be nasty.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rothbart: As I understand it, they wear the bull down gradually and stick swords in its neck/back until it eventually dies.
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Djeffers03
@gosukiller said:
" Jolly good. I recommend those who are thirsty for blood to take up watching Spiderfighting instead.

No Caption Provided
"
With opinions like that you deserve to be undisputed leader of world.
WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WEGGLES
@Rothbart:  They kill the bull at the end. For sport. Pretty shitty.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Suicrat

Just want to take a quick poll of the people responding positively to what is essentially an act of legislative masturbation by the politicians of a region eager to express their 'distinctive identity' apart from Spain: how many of you are vegans?

The thing I've never got about the legal opposition to animal cruelty is, what difference does it make how an animal dies? Isn't the dying part the bad part? Would you rather the bulls that get maimed killed by matadors be sent off to slaughter, or would you rather humans cease in their domestication of cattle?

I've never seen a bullfight in my life, and don't care to.  I'm just trying to understand the desire to use the law to enforce private morality.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ryax

ah yes. the sport of pissing off an animal bigger stronger meaner and faster than you and having him chase you is finally getting banned. cant believe it took them this long 

@Jack268 said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yeah, now ban the rest, this is a cruel and retarded sport, they should let all the bulls loose and have the people tied up.

Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Demonstride

Wait, people don't like bullfighting? I don't really care I just figured that a sport where you are most likely going to be gored by a large animal wouldn't be disliked by people they would just think of it as stupid, I don't know anything about it though so I don't know if they harm the bulls or anything,

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jeust
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

" @Jeust said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:

" @Jeust said:

Tell the bull that.  "
yep, still enforcing it, doesn't mean it will go away. Illegal bullfights will still take place, and will be more expensive than a legal one ever was.  "
And there will be fewer of them. I'm failing to see why that's a bad thing. Do you also recommend that we make murder legal since it goes on despite the law? "
No. I think people should be educated instead of prohibited. Along with these more consensual bans there are other much more controversial or even unjust. Banning is a convenient tool to unilateraly force a large number of individuals to assume a behavior, just for the desire of a few, the legislators, and the supporters of the claim.  

Murder is bad, but instead of sending people to jail, condemning to death, if we taught them the value of life beforehand, maybe things would be better.  

Do you think it's just to have laws regulating the freedoms of citizens, even when the use of their freedom doesn't affect directly the freedom of others?  
Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nonethewiser

WHAT? Why is everyone in such support of this? Animal cruelty? Uh yeah, we're humans. Go sleep with the dogs.

EDIT: BTW, No one has answered the question a few pages back asking, "Why is it so cruel?" Probably because it seems so obvious to you, but i have no clue where animal cruelty and bullfighting meet.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jeust
@Nonethewiser said:

" WHAT? Why is everyone in such support of this? Animal cruelty? Uh yeah, we're humans. Go sleep with the dogs. "

It's the natural order. The weak at the mercy of the strong. We can try to create a different society, but i don't think we'll get there banning everything someone finds offensive. 

@Nonethewiser said: 

" EDIT: BTW, No one has answered the question a few pages back asking, "Why is it so cruel?" Probably because it seems so obvious to you, but i have no clue where animal cruelty and bullfighting meet. "

To me it is cruel because, while still a courageous activity, bullfights consist in toying with animals, that previously had their horns sawed, drugged and suffered other kinds of abuse. It's not a honest fight, it is a violent spectacle. Still people should see it for what it is, and not ban it because it is easier. 
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mazik765
@Gamer_152 said:
People still kill and abuse other people. It does not take much bending of the mind to imagine them doing it to a bull.

But I kind of am happy to hear this. I understand people not wanting to get rid of a tradition, but owning slaves was a tradition at some point too...I'm quite happy that tradition got taken care of.
Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

if im not mistaken it was banned in a province of spain that hasnt traditionally had bullfighting for years. most of spain still largely supports bull fighting.

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ashby
@Nonethewiser:  
They do some pretty nasty things to the bulls, like slicing the muscles of their necks open, stabbing them with spears to piss them off, and then killing them. Also, bulls used to disembowel the horses the matadors rode on. This is why a lot of people don't like it; they see it as needless animal killing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfighting#Spanish-style_bullfighting
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demonstride:@xobballox said:
" @Rothbart: As I understand it, they wear the bull down gradually and stick swords in its neck/back until it eventually dies. "
Avatar image for nikoalexander57
NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NikoAlexander57

I don't like the idea of all of Spain following in their footsteps. One of the things I want to do in my life is participate in the running of the bulls in Pamplona which, before anyone says anything negative, would kick major ass.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#49  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@mazik765 said:
" @Gamer_152 said:
People still kill and abuse other people."
Yes, but it's generally considered extremely unacceptable to do so and that hasn't been the case with bullfighting.
Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cramsy

God stuff. F that 'sport'