Calling For A Cease Fire?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By get2sammyb

So I've noticed a slightly worrying trend occuring on GiantBomb in the last week or so and sadly I hold my hands up and admit I have been a part of it on one occassion.

Forums are difficult places because their intention by nature is to discuss opinions but anyone who has frequented games sites over the last 10 years or so will know this usually causes -- sensitive? -- discussions.

I don't want to go on about fanboys or anything like that (I hate the word myself) I just want to talk about respect for other opinion, really. I'm worried GiantBomb has been getting a bit -- heated? -- lately. There have been a lot of 360/PS3 comparisons floating around which are all ending up in the same way.

Naturally people want to compare the systems but here's the thing, if we can't do it sensibly I'm calling (praying?!) for mods to close these threads down. There have been a few threads that have run their course early on and continued to serve for 2 or 3 pages of flaming. Sadly I've been involved in one of these and again, I admit, I hold my hands high.

My proposition to the mods and other members keep a closer eye on these "comparison" threads ("Should I trade in my 360 for a PS3?"; "PS3 vs 360 graphics"; "PSN is better than Live"). I think the mods have done a great job thus far and it's only in recent weeks GiantBomb has took a slight tumble towards the realms of Eurogamer and Gametrailers. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss these things -- when GB launched discussions were generally very respectful and interesting but something has changed recently. Which brings me onto my next point.

New members, if there are a few of you goading each other, please try to curb it and take it to another forum if you really must do it.

I only type this as a concerned user. I don't mean to step on toes -- just a quick musing.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

So I've noticed a slightly worrying trend occuring on GiantBomb in the last week or so and sadly I hold my hands up and admit I have been a part of it on one occassion.

Forums are difficult places because their intention by nature is to discuss opinions but anyone who has frequented games sites over the last 10 years or so will know this usually causes -- sensitive? -- discussions.

I don't want to go on about fanboys or anything like that (I hate the word myself) I just want to talk about respect for other opinion, really. I'm worried GiantBomb has been getting a bit -- heated? -- lately. There have been a lot of 360/PS3 comparisons floating around which are all ending up in the same way.

Naturally people want to compare the systems but here's the thing, if we can't do it sensibly I'm calling (praying?!) for mods to close these threads down. There have been a few threads that have run their course early on and continued to serve for 2 or 3 pages of flaming. Sadly I've been involved in one of these and again, I admit, I hold my hands high.

My proposition to the mods and other members keep a closer eye on these "comparison" threads ("Should I trade in my 360 for a PS3?"; "PS3 vs 360 graphics"; "PSN is better than Live"). I think the mods have done a great job thus far and it's only in recent weeks GiantBomb has took a slight tumble towards the realms of Eurogamer and Gametrailers. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss these things -- when GB launched discussions were generally very respectful and interesting but something has changed recently. Which brings me onto my next point.

New members, if there are a few of you goading each other, please try to curb it and take it to another forum if you really must do it.

I only type this as a concerned user. I don't mean to step on toes -- just a quick musing.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I don't like "fanboy" either, I'm 43, so I want to be known as the "fanman". I don't mind threads like that if they are open for discussion and if the thread gets out of hand, send in the "modhand".

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By get2sammyb
Claude said:
"I don't like "fanboy" either, I'm 43, so I want to be known as the "fanman". I don't mind threads like that if they are open for discussion and if the thread gets out of hand, send in the "modhand"."
The problem is there are a couple of relatively new members dead set on winding others up. Some of my threads/posts are being targeted by particular "posters" -- if I respond I only influence the problem and if I don't respond I give them the satisfaction. I'd kinda like a mod to drop in from time to time and hand out some warnings -- I dunno whether they're doing this via private message (if so that's awesome) but if not, I kinda feel it's a relevent suggestion. I know their work load is heavy enough as it is though.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Well I do not think locking is a correct answer , I believe flaming and commenting without any ground is the problem and not Comparison threads . the comparison between Game consoles , VGA cards ,........ was always there , but the fact that some of the threads are turning into a conflict is becasue of the Posters who changes a discussion into a fight .

I myself have posted the Xbox 360 VS PS3 graphics contest  thread . I only wanted to report one of the latest Gamespot 's articles . then someone showed up and called  me a fan boy without knowing that I  own / like  both consoles  .
the comparison threads are certainly beneficial unless some turn a discussion into a fight  .
@ get2sammyb : I know you only own PS3 and you love it so much , I personally like My PS3 too and I know you do not feel so good when you read  that  Multi-platform games look better on Xbox 360 (it is always the problem when you only own one of the current generation consoles ) but you can not deny it by locking that thread .

Though I agree with you about the way people start flaming without an appropriate reason .

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude
get2sammyb said:
"Claude said:
"I don't like "fanboy" either, I'm 43, so I want to be known as the "fanman". I don't mind threads like that if they are open for discussion and if the thread gets out of hand, send in the "modhand"."
The problem is there are a couple of relatively new members dead set on winding others up. Some of my threads/posts are being targeted by particular "posters" -- if I respond I only influence the problem and if I don't respond I give them the satisfaction. I'd kinda like a mod to drop in from time to time and hand out some warnings -- I dunno whether they're doing this via private message (if so that's awesome) but if not, I kinda feel it's a relevent suggestion. I know their work load is heavy enough as it is though."
Fight the good fight, that's all you can do. I learned that in Fallout 3, sad... I do love video games.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
daniel_beck_90 said:
"@ get2sammyb : I know you only own PS3 and you love it so much , I personally like My PS3 too and I know you do not feel so good when you read  that  Multi-platform games look better on Xbox 360 (it is always the problem when you only own one of the current generation consoles ) but you can not deny it by locking that thread .
"
Nah that's not the problem really, I haven't got a problem with you at all, I know you made that thread with good intentions and I respect that. The problem is there are a few members crawling around the forums who have an elitist, undermining, arrogant and at times downright unfair attitude.

Comparison threads should be able to stand but with these people around I'm not sure how they can.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By daniel_beck_90

BTW If by relatively new members you mean me then I gotta tell you that I have registered on July 31st  :P

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daniel_beck_90
get2sammyb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"@ get2sammyb : I know you only own PS3 and you love it so much , I personally like My PS3 too and I know you do not feel so good when you read  that  Multi-platform games look better on Xbox 360 (it is always the problem when you only own one of the current generation consoles ) but you can not deny it by locking that thread .
"
Nah that's not the problem really, I haven't got a problem with you at all, I know you made that thread with good intentions and I respect that. The problem is there are a few members crawling around the forums who have an elitist, undermining, arrogant and at times downright unfair attitude.

Comparison threads should be able to stand but with these people around I'm not sure how they can."
  I agree with you , I myself hate when people bitch about something without an actual reason
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf

New members. *sigh*
It seems that some people always have to angry about something in order to get along with their life. Sad really.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead

One solution is to have a system wars forum like on GS and just channel everything into there, but i'd much rather eliminate the problem completely.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike

We rely on you guys to point out problems like this to us.  We're not going to ban 360 vs PS3 discussions, and we're certainly not going to have a System Wars forum, but I'm sure we can find a happy ground in the middle somewhere.  If anyone is having issues particular users trolling or disrupting threads, PM one of us the details and we'll look into it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
MB said:
"We rely on you guys to point out problems like this to us.  We're not going to ban 360 vs PS3 discussions, and we're certainly not going to have a System Wars forum, but I'm sure we can find a happy ground in the middle somewhere.  If anyone is having issues particular users trolling or disrupting threads, PM one of us the details and we'll look into it."
Cheers for this MB. I know you guys are really busy but it's just something I've spotted on the rise in the last few days.

Refreshing to know you're on the case!
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf
HandsomeDead said:
"One solution is to have a system wars forum like on GS and just channel everything into there, but i'd much rather eliminate the problem completely."
But, if you make one of those, that is like giving a green light to them...
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By brukaoru

I agree, there has been some new members who seem to think GiantBomb is meant for System Wars, and the fact is, GiantBomb is not the place for that.

There's no reason there cannot be a civil discussion on what platform has the better looking multi-platform game. The problem arises when some "fanboys" will immediately take offense if their favorite console is made to look worse. Some people like to know which has the better looking games just out of human curiosity, and others like to exaggerate the differences in order to start arguments with people.

On the topic of other things, we should be able to bring up points about what we feel is the best choice without resorting to, "(platform" sucks!" "online service" sucks!" or even "this game sucks!" Not only is that very unspecific to the problem, it's a waste of a post. What is the point of posting like that if you won't list any of the reasons of why you feel it's bad? Even if you have nothing good to say, resorting to "___ sucks" is pretty worthless to discussions. 

We should respect each other's opinions, even if we don't agree with the other person. Just because it's the internet and you can act like a fool, doesn't mean you should.

get2sammyb
said:

"I dunno whether they're doing this via private message (if so that's awesome) but if not, I kinda feel it's a relevent suggestion. I know their work load is heavy enough as it is though."
Mods do hand out warnings via private messages.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

In general, I think we've got a great growing community of gamers here. Just take a look at the quality of some of the content (pages, blogs, guides, forum topics, etc.) that have been generated by the users here since the sites launch. This site more than almost any other relies on a strong community to keep it going. That's why I think it is very important to maintain good moderation practices for the purposes of maintaining order and weeding out the scum that would like nothing less than to come in here and mess up everything nice we've been building. With the recent spike in popularity of GB, we've seen more people flowing in from other sites that would like to bring their petty bickering to our forums and blogs. I fully expect that it will pass though. Personally, I've been mostly pleased with the level of moderation and control that's been demonstrated here, and I think that Giant Bomb's incredible staff will continue to invent more ways to allow the community to moderate itself in order to make the best of the best rise to the top and keep the lowest of the low mostly off the radar.

Every website with community aspects like Giant Bomb is going to have bumps in the road, but personally I don't see GB becoming the breeding ground for fanboys that places like GameFAQs can sometimes be.
bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bekern

I dunno sometimes threads like that can be fun once and awhile, if only to laugh at. It does get old after awhile though, which is why I'm glad there is no system wars board here. The board on gamespot was basically the same arguments recycled over and over..

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Hamz

Without sounding too "moderator-ish" we have always tried to promote positive and productive discussion on the Boards here at GiantBomb. We totally love people debating video games and all things related to them, even if that involves "System Wars" and i use that phrase loosely here, and thats why we tend to allow topics such as PS3 v 360 v Wii v PC etc.

However sometimes discussion gets heated and people start taking it personal and we ask that when this happens people take five minutes away from the keyboard, go chill out and make a sandwiche, have a smoke or get a drink. We don't want to moderate people for getting out of hand but if they can't be civil we will speak to you. But should you see someone getting out of hand then please contact one of us, we'll deal with it. What we don't want is for people to "feed the trolls" and bite at the flame bait posted by other users because it will only end up with yourselves recieving a warning from us instead of the original flamer.

So be cool to one another GiantBomb and we can all get along together.

PS - PC > Consoles, oh yeah, i said it, what now punk? WHAT NOW! :P....this was a joke, please do not flood my inbox with complaints.

Love Hamz

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chaser324, I love your Scott Pilgrim avatar.

As for bringing in a System Wars forum? Fuck no! Aside from the juvenile crowd and horrible moderators it fulfilled the trifecta of me never wanting to post at Gamespot. All you need is the moderators to clamp down on straight up braindead fanboyism. i love having a good discussion, but when some choad gets served fact upon fact that he's wrong and still says "BUT IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE!" or "OKAY SO IT,S BETTER EXCEPT IT'S GOT PROBLEMS" potshots, then the whole debate is a moot point. I'm not saying I'm always right, hell, I love being proved wrong.

code305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By code305

I agree with you. GB forums are little heated thats why i dont use the forum as often as i used to. 

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
TeflonBilly said:
"Chaser324, I love your Scott Pilgrim avatar."
Thanks for the love! How can you not like Scott Pilgrim?
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Xandurson

I don't like fanboyism either. I try not to be but I know that it will come off that way sometimes. I love my 360 and I try to tell people why and then they say something stupid and it gets me started in a fanboyish rant.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Discorsi

Well then it is settled.  The Virtual boy is the greatest console ever

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dalai

Every site has some bad apples and I don't think this can be blamed solely on newcomers... there are even a few Giant Bomb veterans that can stir up trouble, too.

All in all, bashing a console is one thing, but it usually leads to personal flaming ultimately.  That's why I don't think a System Wars board is necessary or wanted here.  That just causes more trouble for moderators and posters and it can hurt Giant Bomb's reputation.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ahriman22

Times you wish the System was here.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atejas

Eh....there's been some flame going around lately, I agree.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By TomA

I try to stay away from threads with titles such as "360 vs PS3","Why Halo couldn't be made for the PS3",and things along that nature.They usually don't lead to anything nice and I agree that moderators should shut these threads down when they get out of hand.