Can i make a remake of a song and post it on soundcloud?

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just made my version of a song and uploaded it on Soundcloud. I wrote there, that the original is from Akira Yamaoka. Should i rather delete my version due to copyrights?

Avatar image for zombiepsychosis
ZombiePsychosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say as long as you're crediting the original artist you're fine.

If it was me, and in terms of full disclosure I would add that you do not have permission of the copyright owner, and the track is not to be used for commercial purposes- that's to say you're not making money from it in anyway- which you shouldn't!

To be completely above board, you could try and contact the artist or copyright holder to gain permission, but you do run the risk of them saying NO and being forced to take it down.

My own personal experience in this: chances are they're not going to even know it exists, and if they do find out and if you've got the notes mentioned above (no permission, no commercial use), nothing legal should come of it, as you disclosed this information.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Zirilius

I thought covers and parody's were allowed as long as you aren't using them for commercial reasons. Otherwise every cover ever would be taken down.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I think you're fine. People tend to remix songs a lot on Soundcloud

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all covers should be eliminated from the internet save the dubstep remix of "Dayman"