No one should have to develop for a defunct browser. It's sad that it's still the most used version.
Can the staff eventually optimize this site for IE6?
"Defunct? It's not old, in fact it's better than IE7, not to mention IE8.Saying a web browser is better than IE7/8 is like being in a classroom full of pre-school students and saying "I'm the best person at math in this room".
You will never regret it. Opera/Chrome are also good.
"breton said:If you're going to check wiki for a definition, at least do us the service of copy+pasting the WHOLE thing in please:"MattyFTM said:A troll is a person who posts controversial things trying to provoke an emotional response.""I don't think either of you understand what troll means."Oh, pray sir. Do tell!"
"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Internet Explorer is crap to code for. You can make perfect XHTML/HTML/PHP code, all standard code that follows W3's validations but Internet Explorer was made to use different codes to execute the same things that work in almost every other browser. I don't blame them for not worrying about IE users.
Get Firefox, that's the only answer for people visiting GiantBomb.
"Internet Explorer is crap to code for. You can make perfect XHTML/HTML/PHP code, all standard code that follows W3's validations but Internet Explorer was made to use different codes to execute the same things that work in almost every other browser. I don't blame them for not worrying about IE users.Meh, i still use IE7, i'm too lazy to download and install firefox and i dont like Chrome
Get Firefox, that's the only answer for people visiting GiantBomb."
"brukaoru said:I'm not saying they do share the same views as me. The staff has said multiple times that this site is not optimal for Internet Explorer, it would be great if they did make it compatible with IE, but the fact is it's not right now. If people can't deal with the bugs using IE, then they either have to go with Firefox or not come to the site.Get Firefox, that's the only answer for people visiting GiantBomb."Tell that to the visitors Giant Bomb are losing by not making the site IE6 compatible. Not everyone shares the same views as you."
Although I do prefer Firefox, I'm not trying to tell people that they should be using Firefox anyway, I'm just stating the fact that GiantBomb does not work well with IE.
"Tell that to the visitors Giant Bomb are losing by not making the site IE6 compatible. Not everyone shares the same views as you."That's fucking stupid. Like I said in my original post, no one should have to develop for a defunct browser. IE6 is hardly even supported by Microsoft. With IE7 having been released in 2006, and a beta for IE8 in progress, there's no reason for people to continue to use that old of a version. I'm not saying he should switch to firefox, opera, chrome, safari. I'm saying he should upgrade. The site works just merry in IE7, and there's a big red banner on the front page telling you to upgrade to it. If someone were to still be using FF2, I'd tell them the same thing.
And seriously, not a troll? Go load up the browser and honestly tell me that you think he would actually use this site, as well as manage 900 posts, while actively browsing in IE6. Whether he intended it to be taken seriously or not, he still incited the argument that I'm participating in right now.
A response to breton:
1) Have you ever thought that I used different computers?
2) Actually my computer was sent to an expert's shop to fix some virus stuff, and I got it back with IE6. But as the certain antivirus programm he installed functions only with IE6, I am not able to upgrade. Therefore,all of my 900 posts except one or two have been made with IE7, and now I want to use the site through IE6.
3) How am I a troll? For requesting something? And how did I get people mad at me? You're the only one who calls me a'troll' whereas all the others think the opposite. So, I'll have to conclude that you are the troll in this topic, for starting an argument yourself. This topic was not for an argument.
"A response to breton:1. Upgrade all your computers?
2. No one should have to develop for such a rare occurrence like that either. I suggest you send it back and tell him to fix it.
3. No one thought the opposite. The only person who specifically said so was Supermooseman. It's a know fact that if you bring up IE anywhere on the 'net you're going to incite a bunch of Firefox douchebags telling you to switch. That's the reaction you wanted, and you got it.
"My school still uses IE6 on their computersDon't use GiantBomb in school, or tell them to switch to IE7.
Please Log In to post.